• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Today I bought my first Satakore title (the reason was I already owned the spine-card, bought a bunch of them some time ago)

Enemy Zero

I don't know if this was normal for those budget releases or it was just some "crazy" thing made by Keiji Eno

The regcard is black while usually they are white

notice the "Ike! Ike! SEGA 128bit" (let's go SEGA 128 bit)

But the most interesting thing was the spine-card : there are the controller functions explained on its back

Right now I checked the original release (I don't have it here with me actually, still in my homecountry) and the regcard was the same, but from satakore.com picture I can't see if the spine-card was in the same way as for the budget release.

Can anyone who owns Enemy Zero confirm or not that ?

IrishNinja

that's pretty cool...ive been dying to see what that huge Enemy Zero LE crate looked like ever since shane talked about it on that great 1up Eno writeup years ago

Galdelico

thank you :)
No problem! ^_-

One thing I've never really understood about Enemy Zero... Is there's any difference (i.e. the serial number) between the regular first print edition and the one that came with the 3D cover?
I ask because the latter is the one I actually own - I bought it from Japan ages ago - but the spine card has a small square of adhesive tape on the inside (which I've been told it wasn't unusual, as many Japanese gamers did that to keep the spine attached to the case after opening it)... It's not the first game I've imported from Japan with the tape on the spine, and it's usually not a big deal for me, but - because Enemy Zero's spine is actually printed on both sides - it irks my nerd self. :D Now, since the regular edition is still dirt cheap, even brand new, I was thinking to buy one just for the spine, but i'd like to be sure everything else will match.

Gyrian

No problem! ^_-

One thing I've never really understood about Enemy Zero... Is there's any difference (i.e. the serial number) between the regular first print edition and the one that came with the 3D cover?
I ask because the latter is the one I actually own - I bought it from Japan ages ago - but the spine card has a small square of adhesive tape on the inside (which I've been told it wasn't unusual, as many Japanese gamers did that to keep the spine attached to the case after opening it)... It's not the first game I've imported from Japan with the tape on the spine, and it's usually not a big deal for me, but - because Enemy Zero's spine is actually printed on both sides - it irks my nerd self. :D Now, since the regular edition is still dirt cheap, even brand new, I was thinking to buy one just for the spine, but i'd like to be sure everything else will match.

Satakore comes through again, looks like it's a single catalogue number for both (T-30001G). Only change is that front cover.

Galdelico

Thanks Gyrian, I checked it out before posting (I should've mentioned it, sorry), but the fact they still call the two prints with different names, left me a bit wary.

Gyrian

Thanks Gyrian, I checked it out before posting (I should've mentioned it, sorry), but the fact they still call the two prints with different names, left me a bit wary.

No worries! I was already familiar with how they're showing this from looking up X-MEN vs. Street Fighter when I was talking about the RAM bundle vs. the standalone version. Anything that's got its own catalog number gets an actual entry page, so it looks like you're clear for Enemy Zero.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Yes.

I mean, Silvergun might've been ST-V, but the arcade version doesn't have several of the bosses exclusive to Saturn Mode, let alone the story to go with it (at least, going by the Saturn version's Arcade Mode). Die Hard Arcade... I could've sworn it looked better in the arcade than the Saturn version? Certainly didn't have the load times. Don't think it had the redbook audio, either, although it was probably better for it since that fades in/out a lot, distractingly.

ST-V and Saturn are identical aside from how they read media. Saturn has an optical drive for CDs and ST-V uses carts. That obviously means better load times for ST-V, but you could have an orchestra perform your game's soundtrack with the Saturn if you wanted. Or just the first level BGM and credits music like in Panzer Dragoon, heh. :p

KC-Slater

Hey guys... another question/ seeking advice.

What would you recommended? a US or Japanese Saturn? I feel like in order to play a lot of games I want, I'm gonna have to import anyway, so if I got to get a US saturn, i'll have to get one of those action replay carts anyway.

I'd go with a Japanese Saturn if you can get one for around the same price as a US. Because many Japanese games require use of the cartridge port, not needing a PAR, and being able to use the official 1/4MB RAM carts is a bonus.

Galdelico

No worries! I was already familiar with how they're showing this from looking up X-MEN vs. Street Fighter when I was talking about the RAM bundle vs. the standalone version. Anything that's got its own catalog number gets an actual entry page, so it looks like you're clear for Enemy Zero.
That's great, thanks again! ^_-

TeaJay

I had a hard time justifying buying Elevator action returns but after playing it all I can say is it's a damn good game and it's damn good shame that it's so expensive, because I'd want more people to be able to buy the original.

Finally ordering HOTD

For some reason I always liked the original game the best. The sequels just never clicked as much with me.
I'm the same. I love the music and the pixeled look of the first. Did you grab the jp version for a couple $$?

I had a hard time justifying buying Elevator action returns but after playing it all I can say is it's a damn good game and it's damn good shame that it's so expensive, because I'd want more people to be able to buy the original.

Yeah this is way out of my range now. Oh well!

Well you can buy a used PS2 and Taito Legends 2 compilation which includes EAR for less than the Saturn version. Price does suck, but there are alternatives.

TeaJay

That is a really good deal. I got lucky and got mine complete with box for about $44.00 but Yeah, it is an excellent arcade stick. I had to open it and apply some grease as it was a little dry though.

Well, I got mine for 50 € like I said. Seems to be in really good shape! Gave it a quick spin with Metal Slug and Gunbird and everything worked well.

Also realized I got all kinds of Saturn peripherals, although I'm sure some of you guys can boast quite a lot of more impressive collections on that front...

INlGjUp.jpg

pH58NI1.jpg

Vf2FBuB.jpg

aMQbjQ0.jpg

Conezays

Well, I got mine for 50 € like I said. Seems to be in really good shape! Gave it a quick spin with Metal Slug and Gunbird and everything worked well.

Also realized I got all kinds of Saturn peripherals, although I'm sure some of you guys can boast quite a lot of more impressive collections on that front...

Great pictures! That stick looks great and thankfully hasn't yellowed.

TeaJay

Hehe, thanks. My PC, PVM, HDTV are all there with various consoles hanging around. Poor Megadrive has to sit on the floor for now, since there's no space. But it's quite comfy for retro gaming needs to fit a few people on the couch (where I'm sitting in the pic) since the monitor is pretty close. (also love my light green stand for the PVM. Very retro.)

I have a small apartment and my bedroom can't fit much else than my bed + clothes dresser, so I gotta put everything else in my living room. Hoping I can get a slightly bigger apartment with maybe one extra room for my gaming / movie / bookcase needs.

ACESmkII

I recall reading that AvP was going to get a 32X port (as was Darkstalkers) but I wonder why it was scrapped altogether? The Saturn would have been a logical place for it. Maybe licensing?

AVP w/ the 4mb cart would have been godlike.

Very nice setup.

Well you can buy a used PS2 and Taito Legends 2 compilation which includes EAR for less than the Saturn version. Price does suck, but there are alternatives.

Which is good since with the price of the the Saturn version I don't think I would have ever gotten to play it. I'm sure there has been a few people that bought Taito Legends 2 just for EAR because of the price and how recommended the game is now.

I recall reading that AvP was going to get a 32X port (as was Darkstalkers) but I wonder why it was scrapped altogether? The Saturn would have been a logical place for it. Maybe licensing?

Hmm, first I've heard of a possible port of that. I also saw Viewpoint go axed as well. The Genesis version is ok but there is too much slowdown and not in a good way. A port of the Arcade would have been neat.

Conezays

I can see it now on eBay in a alternate reality. Buy it now for $300.00.

Don't kid about that, I've seen loose manuals go for equally offensive prices :p

Also, managed to snag a good looking copy of Iron Storm for cheap (NA) this morning. Excited to delve into that when it arrives. :)

IrishNinja

I don't suppose someone could confirm, but apparently the first Guilty Gear and Capcom's AvP were going to get Saturn ports.

jesus christ, i want to cry here
AvP is one of my GOAT beat-em-ups and we never got a solid port, fuck i'd pay way more than i should for a good saturn one ugh fuck

yeah, not arcade perfect but Taito Legends 2 is cheap and loaded with great games too!

damn, that stick, white 3d controller and especially the bomberman multi...i want like everything in these pics! haha great stuff man

Galdelico

Yeah it's the import version. Heard the graphics are poor but as long as the gameplay is there I'm down.
I've got the Japanese version too, which is perfectly fine except the green blood. IIRC, there's a way to restore the original color in the PAL and US versions of the game, which is completely absent from the NTSC-J one.

What's that goober 3D "dungeon action RPG"?
Monica something or other. Shit looks high-lariously bad.

There's some stuff on that video I could have sworn got Japanese releases, like Karnov and the other Data East stuff. Though I could be thinking of Chelnov.

Tain

Chelnov definitely didn't get a release. It got a Mega Drive remake, but the Saturn release was a more direct port of the arcade original (totally inferior imo) that never got released. I remember hearing about someone with the Saturn prototype on Gamengai or Assembler at some point.

fake edit: looks like the disc has been ripped and the image released.

Chelnov definitely didn't get a release. It got a Mega Drive remake, but the Saturn release was a more direct port of the arcade original (totally inferior imo) that never got released. I remember hearing about someone with the Saturn prototype on Gamengai or Assembler at some point.

fake edit: looks like the disc has been ripped and the image released.
That's fascinating. I was watching Retro Core's Chelnov port comparison and I assumed it was released on a Data East arcade collection or something. Though I now noticed that he mentions the game was unfinished in the comments.

Of all the cancelled Saturn games I would like to see Virtua FIghter 3.
I can only imagine Sega trying to stuff a second Saturn into a tiny cartridge just to get VF3 to look half as good as the arcade game.

KC-Slater

My first batch of Saturn pick-ups for 2016!

Because the Canadian dollar is hurting, I have limited myself to only sourcing stuff locally/in Canadian dollars. Although it's been tricky, (even in big cities) as you can see, I've tracked down some gems.

tAm7F6R.jpg

NDPsycho

My first batch of Saturn pick-ups for 2016!

Because the Canadian dollar is hurting, I have limited myself to only sourcing stuff locally/in Canadian dollars. Although it's been tricky, (even in big cities) as you can see, I've tracked down some gems.

tAm7F6R.jpg

Nice choices, wish I hadn't sold all my imports years ago...well all my Saturn stuff at the time. I got some back, but not many imports. The first game there, was a favorite (I'll spare everyone my attempts to spell it).

IrishNinja

KC-Slater with some prime choices! never played cyberbots...gotta check that one out!

and yeah NDPsycho, like most i just go with Souky, haha...man do i love that one

Conezays

So my copy of Sonic Jam just arrived. It plays great, although there seems to be a bluish tint/blue line on mainly the right side of the screen, but also the left in some cases. Any comments/advice on this? Was in this in the original or is this a problem on my end? Any help is appreciated, thanks. (Only seen the issue in Sonic 1 so far).

Top Bottom