• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Has there really been no progress on Yabause since October 2014?? I'm dying for some progress reports like dolphin.
I've gathered that most of the progress was being made on the Android front, unexpectedly. I think some of the improvements made there were backported to SVN builds of (at least) the Windows version; I swear it came up in the "Saturn games in 4K" thread. (Which is worth a read in and of itself, if only because it's kinda hilarious how badly some of them fare. Daytona USA's LOD model is aggressively strong.)

Conezays

Since others have posted their new acquistions, I figured I'd post mine since getting the Saturn last year :p

Missing from the pictures that are en route: Capcom Generations Vol. 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga (in English), Virtua Cop 2, Ghen War, Nights, Thunder Force Gold Pack 1, Dragon Force, Blazing Dragons, Iron Storm, and Bokan to Ippatsu ! Doronbo Kanpekiban.

Games without boxes/hard to read: Dark Savior, Virtua Cop, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, Xmen Vs. Street Fighter, Fighters Megamix, Sonic 3D Blast, Enemy Zero.

Japanese writing shown: Sonic R, Sonic Jam, Gunbird, Kingdom Grand Prix, and Panzer Dragoon.

I'm in the process of moving at the moment, but hopefully will have these nicely displayed at my new place :)

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

IrishNinja

Since others have posted their new acquistions, I figured I'd post mine since getting the Saturn last year :p

oh wow, this is really fantastic - you've some of the best stuff here!
no idea how you got the spine on saturn bomberman (JP) in english, mine's characters on both sides!

TeaJay

no idea how you got the spine on saturn bomberman (JP) in english, mine's characters on both sides!

Yeah it annoys me. Most of my games have at least one side english, so I flip the CD's around to display the english title. There are a few which only have japanese text so I'm thinking of printing a new custom back cover for those.

Conezays

Hah, thanks! Yeah, I'm not sure how consistent the English labels are. As I mentioned, stuff like Gunbird and Kingdom Grand Prix are all Japanese, but it's not the end of the world.

IrishNinja

Yeah it annoys me. Most of my games have at least one side english, so I flip the CD's around to display the english title. There are a few which only have japanese text so I'm thinking of printing a new custom back cover for those.

if you do (or see a place that does) lemme know! i've only a few as well, but yeah, it throws me off, haha

KC-Slater

What does SaturnGAF think of Tenchi o Kurau 2? And which is the best port of it? I'm guessing Saturn?

I've never played it, but I've been intrigued by it for a while now. I'm put off by the price, but I'm also curious to see what people have to say about the Saturn port.

Dazzyman

Finally got around to spending a good 2hrs on Batsugun. Man I love it :) I had it 8yrs ago when I built my original collection up (only to sell it all 4yrs ago when money was tight), and I played it a hand full of times after being recommended. It didn't grab me so I sold it back for another shmup at no loss. Now I've rebought it I'm hooked. I can understand why it goes for the price it does and the high praise it gets. I love how uber powered the ships get.

I'm so glad as well to get a virtua arcade stick. Feels like my own personal arcade now.

The saturn really is my fav machine :)

Conezays

Don't want to overly boast, but very excited on getting a mint copy of this for under $280 US. Already confirmed it works on my NA Saturn with the AR code as well :D Hoping there aren't any issues when it comes to changing discs.

piggychan

Don't want to overly boast, but very excited on getting a mint copy of this for under $280 US. Already confirmed it works on my NA Saturn with the AR code as well :D Hoping there aren't any issues when it comes to changing discs.

*gasps* 280!!!!

I remember buying my copy on the first day of release for 39.99 UK GBP.. Bought it again back in 2005 for 80 GBP which is about 116 USD and I remember the buyer was in Germany and wanted me to send him cash in the post...

Well enjoy your game. It's got an absolutely amazing OST on there.

cj_iwakura

A friend was disposing of some Saturn junk, and he gave me this:

It says MA-18 on the front, and he says it's definitely not for all ages. I have no intention of keeping it, so uh, does anyone want it? No instructions, just the case and disc.

It's some cheesecake mahjong game.

Conezays

*gasps* 280!!!!

I remember buying my copy on the first day of release for 39.99 UK GBP.. Bought it again back in 2005 for 80 GBP which is about 116 USD and I remember the buyer was in Germany and wanted me to send him cash in the post...

Well enjoy your game. It's got an absolutely amazing OST on there.

Lucky man! And yeah, it's rough times when 280 US becomes a low price. I've seen completed listings in the past month go up to around $600 USD, lol. Just insane. The seller I had was actually from Germany too.

MikeMyers

Remember when we were talking about exclusive 3rd party Western-developed games? Well apparently, Final Fight Revenge was developed by Capcom's USA branch, would that count?

D.Lo

yes - i have a modded unit for just this very purpose

however, there's been some progress in doing this by flashing carts as well!
Lol. Impressive but fairly pointless. Saturn is the easiest ever system to chip already if anyone really cares.

The Saturn version was actually my first play through of Symphony. I didn't play the ps version until years later. I'd say it's absolutely playable. The one major(minor) gripe I would have with the Saturn version is how often you want to look at your map. Going into a menu to only to have it take a moment to load up can really feel like a waste of time. However if you're already familiar with the game then it's not going to impede your enjoyment of it.
Yeah the map is the biggest bitch about that version. The extra loads and slowdowns aren't complete joykillers, but the map is.

IrishNinja

god, those disc holders are gorgeous - infinitely better than the gamestop-looking ones we got stateside, haha

Celine

PA.05413.001.jpg

Got a new Saturn game: Fantasic Pinball.

It's basically the Devil Crash of the 32 bit generation (Techno soft, the developer behind this game, did the Mega Drive conversion of such game), only with a big change in mood.
The setting of the pinball boards are in fact filled with funny fantasy elements lifted from the manga industry of the time.
There is just one board but divided in three different sections (hell, earth, heaven) with lots of elemets and there are various challenges to beat.
This game ooze of 90' arcade gaming charm which is a big compliment (even the engrish in the title add to the charm).
It can be found for very cheap (bought for a total of 13 euro) for now
but after this post I expect the price to increase lol

Khaz

It can be found for very cheap (bought for a total of 13 euro) for now
but after this post I expect the price to increase lol

I love pinball games but I didn't know about this one, cool! It will be a nice break from the more realistic experience of Digital Pinball.

And sadly you're right. The cheapest one on eBay was $15 + shipping, and was looked at three times in the last hour (because of this post?). It won't be looked at again, as I just bought it.

And because I don't like shipping costs, I also got a couple of cheap games from the same seller. Damn, they tricked me again!

Celine

I love pinball games but I didn't know about this one, cool! It will be a nice break from the more realistic experience of Digital Pinball.
Yes, Fantas(t)ic Pinball is more an arcade video pinball game than a simulation like Digital Pinball series.

So I'm off work for a week due to missing a 500LB squat. Really buggered up my back.

I'm thinking this is the perfect time to finally put my RHEA to use. I'm thinking I should finally play Panzer dragoon saga but im open to all opinions.

If you had never played a saturn game before, what would you recommend someone play?

I love all genres so I'm down for anything.

StevieWhite

So I'm off work for a week due to missing a 500LB squat. Really buggered up my back.

I'm thinking this is the perfect time to finally put my RHEA to use. I'm thinking I should finally play Panzer dragoon saga but im open to all opinions.

If you had never played a saturn game before, what would you recommend someone play?

If I could only pick 1, Guardian Heroes. If I could pick 2, I'd throw in Dragon Force. If you have a friend to play with, put Megamix in there too as number 3.

Dragon Force. A ton of replay-ability

Dazzyman

I switched Batsuguns music to arrange tonight and prefer it now. Got to level 4 on arrange 1cc and level 3 on original (I only ever play 1cc on shmups). So pleased I bought it. Feel its up there now with Battle Garraga already which has always been my fav shmup.

I'm going to save up for Blast wind next which will take a few months.

What with my saturn collection, 360 shmups and SFV next week I'm glad to be back into gaming after been away from it for a few months :)

Timu

I switched Batsuguns music to arrange tonight and prefer it now. Got to level 4 on arrange 1cc and level 3 on original (I only ever play 1cc on shmups). So pleased I bought it. Feel its up there now with Battle Garraga already which has always been my fav shmup.

I'm going to save up for Blast wind next which will take a few months.

What with my saturn collection, 360 shmups and SFV next week I'm glad to be back into gaming after been away from it for a few months :)
You only 1CC shumps? That's...freaking impressive. I tend to try to 1CC platformers.

Dazzyman

You only 1CC shumps? That's...freaking impressive. I tend to try to 1CC platformers.

Yea I only ever use one credit on shmups. I do the same on any arcade style game apart from fighting games like street fighter. If its a scrolling beaten up like Streets of rage tho I go back to 1 credit. I never used to credit feed in the arcades as a kid so I'm used to it. Managed to beat Green Beret over and over on holiday when I was 14 with Knuckle Joe and sit down outrun in Majorca. Crickey that's 28yrs ago lol I've got worse with age tho. I can't beat ghouls and ghosts anymore!

Timu

Yea I only ever use one credit on shmups. I do the same on any arcade style game apart from fighting games like street fighter. If its a scrolling beaten up like Streets of rage tho I go back to 1 credit. I never used to credit feed in the arcades as a kid so I'm used to it. Managed to beat Green Beret over and over on holiday when I was 14 with Knuckle Joe and sit down outrun in Majorca. Crickey that's 28yrs ago lol I've got worse with age tho. I can't beat ghouls and ghosts anymore!
...You are way better than me at arcade games...I can 1CC various games but I need to focus on many others! Though I plan to 1CC some shumps as well!!!

piggychan

god, those disc holders are gorgeous - infinitely better than the gamestop-looking ones we got stateside, haha

Regarding the UK/EU packaging;
The earlier ones were horrible and ripped easily. They were basically two plastic shells one holding the manual and the other to hold the game disc and held together by the game cover which was just cardboard glued to the back.

4CA03D3E-698C-48C4-89B3-4EAE4E9850C8.jpg

44D5E74A-D409-412A-B7D7-B640970B2AA6.jpg

They barely held things in place and the case just flies open there is nothing to securely close it!
EE50463F-76E5-4E23-96BE-D201CAAA9D88.jpg

Later box revisions I think appeared around 97 were a welcome.
F3463803-3D06-4E2A-88EC-B467689BF2D5.jpg

6BC7B480-8D7E-4A00-BD02-BAFB30AEBD83.jpg

Top Bottom