• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

piggychan

G67L3J.gif

Well I'm using verified Darkwater rips that people seem to use with no issues. I also tested them with an emulator to make sure the disc was readable, and sure enough the emulator plays them with no problem. Pop them into the Saturn and nothing..or they work on and off with some discs.

Have yet to try with my own rips, since I figured getting a verified rip would save me the time and effort if I don't have to rip my own.
K I don't want to derail too much into this but are you sure your modchip even works? Have you tried the disc swap to see if you at least made a working burn?

Coda

Got the Bomberman SBom Joycard pad today in the mail and it doesn't work. :(

I tried cleaning the controller port part with rubbing alcohol but no dice, maybe I need to open it up and clean the contacts inside?

I hate when you buy something on eBay that says it was tested and then it shows up and just doesn't work.

Holy crap, has the price tag on Street Fighter Zero 3 always been so high? I thought about trying to pick it up, but that's probably never happening. Seems like it was probably a end of system release, maybe that's why?

Conezays

Got the Bomberman SBom Joycard pad today in the mail and it doesn't work. :(

I tried cleaning the controller port part with rubbing alcohol but no dice, maybe I need to open it up and clean the contacts inside?

I hate when you buy something on eBay that says it was tested and then it shows up and just doesn't work.

Sorry to hear; hate when that sort of stuff happens. Don't own it myself so can't offer any personal advice beyond what you've already done. Maybe someone else on here has it and can comment.

IrishNinja

SFZ3 blew up in 2013 I think. It was always above the msrp of a current gen game since release tho.

this was a particularly bad year for US saturn games

i watched Burning Rangers, Saturn Bomberman & several others start to climb up to stupid high prices early that year, i wanna say

Galdelico

Sorry to hear; hate when that sort of stuff happens. Don't own it myself so can't offer any personal advice beyond what you've already done. Maybe someone else on here has it and can comment.
Yeah, it sucks big time when it happens, sorry to read that. :(
If you tried the pad on both Saturn ports and the result was the same, there's most likely something wrong with the controller itself. Honestly, I'd contact the seller to see if a return/refund is possible.

IrishNinja

Irish, I actually have one of these that I remember being pretty nice for Time Crisis on PS1.
Found it again in the same box as my old Saturn shown a few posts earlier; it's yours if you like.

just wanted to give a special shout-out & thanks again to Gyrian - said gun came in today, and it's so awesome!! i tested it with Virtua Cop & had a blast, gonna put some time into Time Crisis this weekend since it came with a pedal, too...loving this thing, man!

also, can't say how much i appreciate you tossing in sega gashapon - Ulala went right on the Sega shelf, next to MJ!

K I don't want to derail too much into this but are you sure your modchip even works? Have you tried the disc swap to see if you at least made a working burn?

The modchip does work, since some backups boot up with no issue, whereas others won't. I test the burns in an emulator to confirm they're working burns, even when they work in the emulator they still don't play consistently on the Saturn.

I didn't mean to derail the thread either, I was just hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction for a fix..

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Holy crap, has the price tag on Street Fighter Zero 3 always been so high? I thought about trying to pick it up, but that's probably never happening. Seems like it was probably a end of system release, maybe that's why?
at this point just buy the CPS2 board.

Tain

If I really wanted to play World Tour mode would I go for the DC release or the PSX release? iirc Saturn version doesn't have such a plebian console-y mode

Coda

Yeah, ended up returning it to the seller and picking up a cheap third party Performance Super Pad 8 for the time being. Definitely gonna get a stock model 2 pad when I get the chance.

Conezays

Well, I finally finished Panzer Dragoon Saga at 16:24 hours to do everything as far as I could tell. I appreciated being able to do leftover side quests after the game had finished proper.

Overall I felt it was a tightly-paced JRPG that felt very focused in what it set out to achieve. The presentation, music, and controls all felt very strong even in 2016. Barring a few dungeon sections that I felt lagged, there weren't any particularly negative aspects that I could think of. Again, the presentation and art design are consistently top-notch throughout, not to mention the battle system and the game's world. While reveling in some JRPG cliche's, it also feels quite unique, certainly with regards to traversing the majority of the game on a dragon, etc.

A couple more town-like areas (or side quests in them) would've been appreciated but hardly a deal-breaker. Very impressive game overall and I'm glad to have finally played it.

Here are some inaccurate pictures that don't do the game justice :p:

piggychan

A couple more town-like areas (or side quests in them) would've been appreciated but hardly a deal-breaker. Very impressive game overall and I'm glad to have finally played it.

Here are some inaccurate pictures that don't do the game justice :p:

Glad you like it. That camp I love the music that plays there.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ Damn straight. Best camp music ever.

Glad you enjoyed it, Conezays! I completely agree with your opinion of the game.

I still dream of an HD remake or a sequel... ;_;

Galdelico

Are the PS2 versions just emulation?

If you can deal with the fact it doesn't run at 240p, SFZ Fighter's Generation on the PS2 is super solid. Perfect emulation of every Street Fighter Zero arcade game, plus tons of unlockables. Oh, and it includes Pocket Fighter too.

I own Saturn's SFZ3, but every time I want to play the game, I fire up the PS2 and go for Upper on there.

Conezays

^ Damn straight. Best camp music ever.

Glad you enjoyed it, Conezays! I completely agree with your opinion of the game.

I still dream of an HD remake or a sequel... ;_;

Cheers, thanks. Also, for sure, there's lots of great tracks in the game. The music in (location spoiler):
Underground Ruins of Uru
gave me a similar sort of vibe to Phantasy Star Online.

Not really understanding the 240/480 thing. Someone wanna talk like I'm 5?

Essentially - Most (or all?) old consoles output natively at 240p (240 lines of resolution). "Normal" SD resolution is usually 480i (480 lines of resolution). Old TVs could handle this properly, newer TVs less so.

Coda

Any one have any experience with flickering/scrolling screens when using a SCART to component (via a converter) hooked up to a Sony Wega CRT (non-HD)? It seems to happen a lot during really bright/white looking scenes such as the Sega Saturn boot screen and moments in games, thinking it may be something with the SCART cable itself as my SNES works fine via SCART with this component converter.

I know I had an issue where the SCART-to-component was causing screeching/chirping noises and image distortion for my Saturn when the screen got really dark, though that was because of my gscartsw SCART switch - it didn't occur if plugged directly into the converter, and changing ports on the switch fixed it. Dunno what to say about it breaking on white screens, though.

televator

Not really understanding the 240/480 thing. Someone wanna talk like I'm 5?

How do you mean? 240p normally means 320 horizontal X 240 vertical progressive pixels. 480i/p means 640 horizontal X 480 vertical either interlaced or progressive pixels; sometimes 720 horizontal X 480 vertical progressive pixels.

In 480i, a complete interlaced frame is made of 2 separate fields. Each field being half of the picture at 480 pixels in height that extend in "lines" horizontally 640 pixels, but with only 240 "lines" (counting once every other line) being filled with picture information. One filed contains picture information on the odd lines counting vertically, and the other contains picture information on the even lines counting vertically. Each field alternates every 30Hz (2 fields X 30Hz = 60Hz for the complete frame) and weaves together in a staggered presentation to produce the interlaced frame.

A typical 480i CRT treats 240p as a single interlaced field. It takes the original progressive image and pulls it apart line by line vertically and stretches it horizontally to fill one field. The other field is completely blank and does not contain the information necessary to complete a totally filled in frame. The end result is a single field that refreshes every 60Hz with blank lines produced by the missing field (often incorrectly referred to as scan lines). This is sort of a hack that I think wasn't really intended by TV manufacturers. Game companies however, took advantage of this. They could display low resolution progressive images that save on computing power but still look quite sharp on a CRT.

Now what is going on with originally 240p games being displayed as 480i from the PS2 is that 2 fields are produced from the original 320 X 240p picture. This is obviously different from the single field method of a CRT. This creates a picture with no "scanlines" and is not the intended way for the game to be presented. You lose perceived sharpness because the 320 X 240 original picture has now been stretched both vertically and horizontally to produce a faked 480i frame.

Timu

240p is the standard for NES, SMS, SNES, GEN, SAT, PS1 and N64 games.

480i is the standard for PS2 and Gamecube games.

480p is the standard for Dreamcast and Xbox games.

If you can deal with the fact it doesn't run at 240p, SFZ Fighter's Generation on the PS2 is super solid. Perfect emulation of every Street Fighter Zero arcade game, plus tons of unlockables. Oh, and it includes Pocket Fighter too.

I own Saturn's SFZ3, but every time I want to play the game, I fire up the PS2 and go for Upper on there.

Another way to play SFZ3 is on the PSP and PSVita. Don't know what resolution that is in, but I found it pretty good. Looks bright and vibrant on the Vita screen at least.

Galdelico

Another way to play SFZ3 is on the PSP and PSVita. Don't know what resolution that is in, but I found it pretty good. Looks bright and vibrant on the Vita screen at least.

It's a fantastic port, but - aside from a weird bug that prevents you to save anything, if you have 2 or more free gigs on your Memory Stick - playing it on the PSP is not ideal, unfortunately. No idea if the Vita controls make it better, as I don't own one.

It's a fantastic port, but - aside from a weird bug that prevents you to save anything, if you have 2 or more free gigs on your Memory Stick - playing it on the PSP is not ideal, unfortunately. No idea if the Vita controls make it better, as I don't own one.
Didn't know about that bug, nothing I've noticed but I'm on the Vita! The d-pad is quite good on the Vita at least, but I'm a SF casual.

240p is the standard for NES, SMS, SNES, GEN, SAT, PS1 and N64 games.

480i is the standard for PS2 and Gamecube games.

480p is the standard for Dreamcast and Xbox games.

I'm pretty sure the list of dreamcast games that don't support vga is higher then gamecube games that don't support 480p :p

AmyS

Heh, check out this GamePro November 1991 article:

cK27oUx.jpg

That's pretty remarkable, setting aside a lack of technical understanding (not to mention rumors and ever-changing specs) GamePro reporting on what was essentially 32X and Saturn, years before their announcements / reveals.

MikeMyers

Incidentally, happy 21st, NTSC-U Saturn.

Happy Birthday! Old enough to drink away those feelings of failure.

But seriously, people often rip on the US library, and while it was limited compared to the Japanese side, we did get a lot of classics: Fighters Megamix, Nights into Dreams, Panzer Dragoon series, and all those arcade ports.

Top Bottom