• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

IIRC it involves soldering, whereas the Saturn has a door specifically made solely for easy battery replacement.

exactly this
i literally just had someone change the battery when modding my system, i'm not going through all that trouble

I don't even bother to change my battery. Store everything on the AR.

also this, since fuck losing everything

Virtua Cop

ah, right right! i played them casually in the arcades, looking forward to spending more time with em
also is the game 2 (die harder) of die hard trilogy a lightgun game? i always assumed so

Khaz

haha for real? id love to see this

potato shot:

xZ27iF6.jpg

It's an excellent light gun game for the PS1 btw, you ought to try it.

cj_iwakura

potato shot:

xZ27iF6.jpg

It's the best light gun game ever made btw, you ought to try it.

Blows my mind they got away with that. Imagine if Capcom did that with fight sticks.

And fixed that for you. I have a copy and a Guncon, Irish, invite me over for it sometime. :D

MikeMyers

Wait you don't own Virtua Cop?

Sega Rally, Virtua Cop, and Virtua Fighter 2 are the holy trinity of Saturn arcade ports. Every Saturn owner should have them.

IrishNinja

i have whichever Virtua Cop game came with the triple pack, but i didn't play saturn in the CRT era, so ive not had a light gun for it!

potato shot:

wow, that's amazing. vic had some balls in the day, haha

And fixed that for you. I have a copy and a Guncon, Irish, invite me over for it sometime. :D

done & done, man! already planning some kinda summer BBQ/pool party then retro game night thing, im thinking early/mid june (after megacon), it's part of the reason i wanted this CRT set up & sorted well in advance!

MikeMyers

The 3-pack features the first VC game.

I kinda wanna buy the 3-pack just for the poster but I already have Virtua Cop and Virtua Fighter 2.

IrishNinja

i love that poster, totally have it on the side of one of my sega shelves!

and cool, that means i have 1 on that pack, and 2 on the DC smash pack, hopefully it plays better than some other stuff i remember on there

MikeMyers

Well I found a CIB of Gugriffion for $13. Can't go wrong with that?

I guess I could get the 3-pack for Saturn Daytona, but I already have Daytona CE and Daytona HD on PSN.

ss_lemonade

Wait you don't own Virtua Cop?

Sega Rally, Virtua Cop, and Virtua Fighter 2 are the holy trinity of Saturn arcade ports. Every Saturn owner should have them.

We had the not for resale Virtua Cop, VF 2 and Daytona games, plus a demo disc that had Sega Rally if I'm remembering this right. The jump from genesis games to these was more than enough to blow my mind

NDPsycho

How many?

I want to get that and the sequel on Dreamcast.

I think Sega Rally on Saturn is more fun than Rally 2 on DC, it just controls so well. On DC, Test Drive V Rally was my go to racer. It's not that Rally 2 can't be fun, it just seemed less rooted in the arcade.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I never thought I would own it, but I do. Life finds away.

Same here. I had given up on it, but found a relatively decent deal last year, and even though it is the most expensive game I have ever bought, it was still way below market value - so I grabbed it. Still havent played it though.

MikeMyers

So I decided to pop in NiGHTS for a quick fix...

...ended up playing it or more than 2 hours straight.

Stick Canyon is some hard shit though.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
So I decided to pop in NiGHTS for a quick fix...

...ended up playing it or more than 2 hours straight.

Stick Canyon is some hard shit though.

Some hints:

Don't fight the magnets on the first Mare. Approach the first one at high speed in line with the blue chips, then take your finger off the analog stick as soon as you enter, momentum will carry you through the magnetic field in line with the chips and shoot you out in line with the next set of chips before the other magnet. Do the same with the second magnet.

There's a blue chip cage on Mare 2 that can help you blow the Ideya Capture up faster. Right after the magnet shoots you to the top of the screen, turn left and it's on the other side of the steel wall. Go back to the right, where the Ideya Capture is, and you'll see three more chips underneath the rail ride. Grab them without getting on the rail ride to get the 20 chips you'll need and blow up the Capture.

Never ride the rail ride on Mare 2. Fly past it. You'll find more rings and eventually come to a link ball. Link balls are worth 500 points (1000 after bonus time) when you unlock them. Keep circling the stage, avoiding the rail ride and grabbing the link ball.

Mare 3 is mostly about circling the stage fast enough to get to that stunt ring and exploit the stunt ribbon glitch. Learn the fastest route. If you still have 15-25 seconds after your last lap, you won't have enough time for another go-around, but you can fly over top the Ideya Capture to reset the stage and then fly backwards and grab the stunt ring one last time.

When climbing the tower on Mare 4, keep in mind the center of the tower is safe from the falling debris. When on the rail ride, the position of NiGHTS corresponds to the position of your thumb on the analog stick (eg: pressing up will move NiGHTS to twelve o'clock, down to six o'clock). This only works in the Saturn version. Also, you can still salvage Mare 4 if you run out of time on the rail. When you hit the ground, quickly collect all the loose chips you dropped for a big link.

Here's how a pro-run is done: https://youtu.be/Q2ZMzCNNteQ?t=4410

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Finally decided to start my copy of the holy grail last night :p Enjoying it so far; the music and battle system are great.

13161572_10101696680156371_2100141297_o.jpg
Take your time, talk to everyone, examine everything. Soak it up, don't use a guide or take too long of a break. It's very short but very sweet. Enjoy!

potato shot:

xZ27iF6.jpg

Ah there's my old friend the Joytech real Arcade Light gun, the first product I worked on development with. Fair point it was too heavy for extended use but that's because it was a copy of the gun used on the Time Crisis arcade cabinet. One of our engineers went to an arcade with some bolt cutters and cut a gun off a cabinet! It was then reverse engineered. (True story)

Conezays

Take your time, talk to everyone, examine everything. Soak it up, don't use a guide or take too long of a break. It's very short but very sweet. Enjoy!

That's my plan, thanks. I had already skipped the opening cutscene accidentally when I first booted up the game to confirm it worked. Definitely helped explain things a bit better after having seen it this time :p

Ah there's my old friend the Joytech real Arcade Light gun, the first product I worked on development with. Fair point it was too heavy for extended use but that's because it was a copy of the gun used on the Time Crisis arcade cabinet. One of our engineers went to an arcade with some bolt cutters and cut a gun off a cabinet! It was then reverse engineered. (True story)

Arcade time crisis was some heavy duty shit

12446340_1806072106280268_1851220354_n.jpg

cj_iwakura

Arcade time crisis was some heavy duty shit

12446340_1806072106280268_1851220354_n.jpg

One day I went to play TC1 at a now-dead arcade. Someone was there time attacking the hell out of stage 2, my favorite level.

We took turns beating each others' scores. It was a real Demon's Souls moment.

I never saw him again.

IrishNinja

^that's a great story man, damn

also those guns look fantastic. i'm excited about getting a nyko cobra soon! so many shooters here & PSX, though i do wonder if that time crisis setup with the pedal is worth the trouble.

cj_iwakura

^that's a great story man, damn

also those guns look fantastic. i'm excited about getting a nyko cobra soon! so many shooters here & PSX, though i do wonder if that time crisis setup with the pedal is worth the trouble.

It was Grand Prix/Boomers in Dania.

Still bummed they tore that place down, even though it was basically a mercy killing. That D&D cabinet better have gotten a good home.

Time Crisis 1 is one of the few arcade machines I want to own one day.

Shaneus

Holy fuck.

Conezays

Changed my battery on my Saturn...easier than I thought.

I now unlocked Free Play for Virtua Cop 2!!!

Yep, super easy. There's no way to check if your battery is almost dead is there? I back most things up to the AR cart but losing all internal data would nonetheless be irritating.

Top Bottom