• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Timu

Yep, super easy. There's no way to check if your battery is almost dead is there? I back most things up to the AR cart but losing all internal data would nonetheless be irritating.
When it keeps asking you to reset your clock it means it's dead.

Ok, so I've been on a several week long journey of figuring out what's wrong with my modded Saturn, and have yet to figure it out. If anyone has any ideas it would be super super appreciated...I'm absolutely lost at this point.

I bought multiple brands of CD-R's, even bought a new burner that supposedly is great for Saturn discs. Yet I still can't get consistent results from discs. At the same time, discs I burned years ago still work perfectly...legit discs work as well.

Should I replace my Saturn lens? Or readjust the POT? Or get a new mod chip? This is crazy frustrating :/

Ok, so I've been on a several week long journey of figuring out what's wrong with my modded Saturn, and have yet to figure it out. If anyone has any ideas it would be super super appreciated...I'm absolutely lost at this point.

I bought multiple brands of CD-R's, even bought a new burner that supposedly is great for Saturn discs. Yet I still can't get consistent results from discs. At the same time, discs I burned years ago still work perfectly...legit discs work as well.

Should I replace my Saturn lens? Or readjust the POT? Or get a new mod chip? This is crazy frustrating :/

Are you using Alcohol 120%? I can't get anything to work with my saturn without using that in windows xp compatibility mode with RAW DAO burning on my DVD drive from 2004.

Are you using Alcohol 120%? I can't get anything to work with my saturn without using that in windows xp compatibility mode with RAW DAO burning on my DVD drive from 2004.

Hmm I'll have to try this, I think I did a burn with A120 to test but I didn't use the Windows XP mode. Are you on W10?

I've mainly been using Imgburn since everyone seems to swear by it...but I'm making nothing but coasters with it lol.

LordAlu

What speed are you burning your discs at? Sounds strange but I've found that I usually have to burn them at 2x or 4x for my Saturn to read them.

Well Imgburn is showing my lowest supported write speed as 16x for the Liteon drive that is supposedly great for burning Saturn discs. My BD drive supports burns at 8x I believe, but that didn't work either. I've tried so many different speeds but no consistent results on any discs.

Are you able to force a 2x or 4x speed even if it doesn't show for the supported speeds?

I think if you're not burning at 4X you're going to have bad results. AFAIK the faster you burn the harder it is for especially older lasers to read what's on the disc since the pits just aren't big enough.

But can I actually burn at 4x if that doesn't show up on compatible write speeds? Not sure about Alcohol, but at least for Imgburn it's not listed.

LordAlu

Well Imgburn is showing my lowest supported write speed as 16x for the Liteon drive that is supposedly great for burning Saturn discs. My BD drive supports burns at 8x I believe, but that didn't work either. I've tried so many different speeds but no consistent results on any discs.

Are you able to force a 2x or 4x speed even if it doesn't show for the supported speeds?
You should be able to just choose it in Alcohol120%. I usually set it to 4x. I don't use Imgburn I'm afraid.

Ok thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll give it a shot with A120 after work.

The whole thing is so bizarre.Sometimes I can get a disc to work sporadically....like it may work for a few minutes then the Saturn stops reading it and I get sent back to the boot up screen. Then the next time I try the disc it won't work at all. Meanwhile discs I burnt years ago are still working fine lol. Hopefully this solves it!

"Hrmm. I could get Dynamite Deka for cheap, but I don't like the Japanese-language prompts - even if I can read the katakana, I need to be able to do so really quickly. I'll just get Die Hard Arcade, then the prompts will be in English!"

"Aw yeah, the game got here. Time to slap this into my white Saturn and watch its attract mode!"

"...the prompts are still in Japanese."

So that was my night last night

Not gonna lie, though, I'm surprised at how quickly it throws the continues at you in Deep Scan. I'd expected it to be really tedious, but... not really? I can turn the initial 4 into 11 really quickly.

Tain

Remembering the first symbols in the QTEs in Deka isn't too bad.

For some reason I have both NA and JP Saturn releases yet not the Sega Ages 2500 version.

KC-Slater

Does Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Deka switch resolutions during the QTE? Whenever I get to them, the video cuts out (screen goes black, but audio remains) on my plasma, and the video doesn't return. I'm forced to quit/reset.

I'm playing via a RHEA SD back-up reader, for full disclosure. Haven't tried yet with a real disc, so that may be the issue.

It seems to run at a pseudo-480i/240p mixture, honestly, similar to Fighters Megamix - except where FMM had 240p gameplay but a 480i HUD, the 480i elements in DHA seem to include its shadows and such, while the other 3D elements look more 240p.

Interlacing isn't too bad, though, since the game runs at 30FPS for the most part (the helicopter bit of the attract is 60FPS, but it's 240p).

MikeMyers

That's awful, that's why I rather have Die Hard Arcade despite how pricey it is.

I have the Japanese case, but the US disc.

Great game! One of my favourites.

Would like to try the PS2 remake, but I don't think I'd be able to do it on a native PS2 controller. Game just so well on the Saturn one.

Timu

It seems to run at a pseudo-480i/240p mixture, honestly, similar to Fighters Megamix - except where FMM had 240p gameplay but a 480i HUD, the 480i elements in DHA seem to include its shadows and such, while the other 3D elements look more 240p.

Interlacing isn't too bad, though, since the game runs at 30FPS for the most part (the helicopter bit of the attract is 60FPS, but it's 240p).
That's going to be annoying as fuck for me to record since I hate both interlacing and res switching, res switching messes up in AmaRec TV. Also Fighters Megamix was 240p in menus and 480i during gameplay, I would know as I did recordings on it and a playthrough on youtube and it's interlaced during gameplay.

Hmm, so even on Alcohol 120 my minimum disc write speed is 16x....does this mean I'm out of luck when it comes to burning backups? Maybe I should try replacing the CD lens, not really sure what else to do..

It means you'll have to buy a disc burner that actually supports lower burn speeds. Modern burners don't, for some reason. (Cheaper? I dunno.)

Like, that's not a software issue, that's a hardware issue.

TeaJay

I've been burning lots of TDK discs on Imgburn on 8x speed for Saturn and PS1 and only had a few failures. Had no need to go lower than that.

Galdelico

I don't know if this has been asked already, but... Any of you guys ever played PAL games on an NTSC console equipped with the Action Replay Plus?

I ask because I'd really like to try Duke Nukem 3D and Quake for the Saturn, but I can't find complete and reasonably priced NTSC-U copies, so I was wondering if their PAL versions are fine too, and - assuming they are - if it's safe to play them on my Japanese Saturn (safe, as in... Without major/game-breaking glitches, basically).

piggychan

I don't know if this has been asked already, but... Any of you guys ever played PAL games on an NTSC console equipped with the Action Replay Plus?

I ask because I'd really like to try Duke Nukem 3D and Quake for the Saturn, but I can't find complete and reasonably priced NTSC-U copies, so I was wondering if their PAL versions are fine too, and - assuming they are - if it's safe to play them on my Japanese Saturn (safe, as in... Without major/game-breaking glitches, basically).

some of those games will be PAL optimized so they might not display properly on NTSC machine... I know one of those games is Guardian Heroes. I think there was a list floating around somewhere on the web. I'll try and look for it later unless someone beats me to it.

Conezays

Khaz

http://www.segasaturn.co.uk/games/sega_saturn_pal.html
You're out of luck, they're both PAL-optimised. They may run faster than intended and/or have the top and bottom parts of the image outside of the screen.

Coda

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-08%20at%207.35.17%20PM_zpsbrqxycxi.png

Got these gems in the mail yesterday. Also have Prikura Daisakusen coming soon too!

Prikura marks the first time I caught a game loaaaading for so long, I thought it had actually crashed.

If there ever was a Saturn game that would benefit immensely from cutting down CD-ROM load times with an SD card, that would be it.

It's when you change characters after losing a life in co-op games, maybe single player too. Not the best ST-V port job, Atlus.

Coda

Bulk Slash!

I love the 2D artwork on Princess Crown. I wasn't too fond of Prikura Daisakusen though but grats on the buys.

pY6x81.gif

Agreed, I think PC might be the prettiest game on the Saturn, those dragon animations are remarkable too.

Prikura Daisakusen interested me because I saw some footage of the bosses and soundtrack and thought it looked cool, found a US seller selling a copy so it was an impulse buy. I'm trying to get more Saturn games before the prices explode.

IrishNinja

I'm trying to get more Saturn games before the prices explode.

i feel like we're a few years later on that =/
even some japanese stuff i wanted shot up, it's tricky finding deals! there's a guy right now on gamegavel with a bunch of (mostly common) imports for cheap, though...was debating lode runner!

Galdelico

some of those games will be PAL optimized so they might not display properly on NTSC machine... I know one of those games is Guardian Heroes. I think there was a list floating around somewhere on the web. I'll try and look for it later unless someone beats me to it.

http://www.segasaturn.co.uk/games/sega_saturn_pal.html
You're out of luck, they're both PAL-optimised. They may run faster than intended and/or have the top and bottom parts of the image outside of the screen.

Thanks guys. It looks like I'll have to go for NTSC with those games. Which isn't a bad thing, it's only going to be quite hard to find excellent-to-mint used copies (or just way more expensive than PAL, in case of brand-new ones).

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-08%20at%207.35.17%20PM_zpsbrqxycxi.png

Got these gems in the mail yesterday. Also have Prikura Daisakusen coming soon too!

Other than your Chun-Li figure, there's something else I'd steal from this picture, and that's Princess Crown. :D
Always loved the artstyle and visuals, but never actually got the chance to even try it. Is there any major language barrier to be aware of, preventing to fully enjoy the experience with the game?

IrishNinja

Magic Knight Rayearth down! cheers to cj_iwakura, i'm not longer a poser for having your sticker on my memory cart, haha...for real, it's a bummer it's so expensive, cause it's legit a fun action RPG & definitely more enjoyable than Shining Wisdom, or to cross over to straight RPG's also by Working Designs, Albert Odyssey. i've never even seen the anime, and this was fun.

i frequently switched characters to examine stuff & see their reaction, which really played into their troupes & such...though goddamn, when you realize that literally every single new area not only has 3 diary entries (one by each of them), but that almost all are voiced over as well...you start to see why this thing showed up so very late. Vic must've been a madman to push for that! i only listened to a handful myself, but will definitely give them more attention if i replay it down the road.

another odd new year's resolution was to beat 10 Sega games this year...and this was # 8, so i'm definitely ahead of schedule! granted, i stacked them with mostly shorter stuff here & there, but while i still wanna power through D (maybe Enemy Zero?) for some halloween Kenji Eno love in October, i clearly saved the best for last & decided i'd try both scenario 1 of Shining Force III (now that i've properly beaten 1/CD/2 & Ark) and Dragon Force! neither are on the short side - especially DF, with all those different countries - but we're not even halfway through the year, so i think those are my best bets, and will totally finish off the major titles in my Saturn backlog as well - opening up time for other important things like Guardian Heroes alternate paths, haha. which do ya'll think i should do first? to be honest, I'm heavily leaning toward DF.

MikeMyers

Haven't played the game but I like the series. Prefer the manga due to the amazing artwork.

Been playing DOA1 recently and decided it is my favourite DOA game. Has the most martial arts feel to it than the others, IMO,

i feel like we're a few years later on that =/
even some japanese stuff i wanted shot up, it's tricky finding deals! there's a guy right now on gamegavel with a bunch of (mostly common) imports for cheap, though...was debating lode runner!

I've never used GameGavel, so I decided to take a look at what this guy was selling. Some pretty good (and cheap!) commons on there.

So, I registered an account. First off, their SSL cert is expired as of March. Second, I used a fairly long password and it wouldn't seem to work when I tried to log in. I used the "forgot password" link and thought maybe I fat-fingered. It sent me the password in clear text and didn't tell me when registering that there was a max character limit so it would just cut off the last couple of characters.

Is this site reputable? The cert isn't a great sign, but the clear text password really leaves me skeptical of what they're going to do with my credit card when I buy something.

That being said, those games sure are a good deal...

Coda

Other than your Chun-Li figure, there's something else I'd steal from this picture, and that's Princess Crown. :D
Always loved the artstyle and visuals, but never actually got the chance to even try it. Is there any major language barrier to be aware of, preventing to fully enjoy the experience with the game?

Haha yeah that's one of my favorite figures I own.

There is quite a bit of dialogue in the game but I've found a few guides over the years that I've used to get through parts of the game. It's not as dialogue heavy as other RPGs though. It's more action oriented which is what I love about the game. I feel like once Odin Sphere came out the visuals looked beautiful but not as cool as having the 2D sprite work that PC has.

It means you'll have to buy a disc burner that actually supports lower burn speeds. Modern burners don't, for some reason. (Cheaper? I dunno.)

Like, that's not a software issue, that's a hardware issue.

I've been burning lots of TDK discs on Imgburn on 8x speed for Saturn and PS1 and only had a few failures. Had no need to go lower than that.

4x is probably the safest(definitely for Dreamcast)!

yeah, i don't think i tend to go faster than 4-8x, i wanna say?

Ok, so it turns out my two burners have different speeds. One has a minimum speed of 16x, and the other one does go as low as 4x. Both drives keep producing coaster after coaster.
-I know the mod chip should be fine, since other backups (that I made years ago) run perfectly.
-Legit discs work perfectly.
-Imgburn and Alcohol are producing the same results
-A few discs manage to boot, but then I'll try them again later that day or the next day and they won't boot anymore

This is absolute madness.

Well I'm using verified Darkwater rips that people seem to use with no issues. I also tested them with an emulator to make sure the disc was readable, and sure enough the emulator plays them with no problem. Pop them into the Saturn and nothing..or they work on and off with some discs.

Have yet to try with my own rips, since I figured getting a verified rip would save me the time and effort if I don't have to rip my own.

Top Bottom