• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

_Ryo_

Is there a way to fix a Saturn controller? A pal on another board was generous enough to gift me a Saturn but the connection where you plug in the controller (on the controller itself, not the console) is loose/broken on the controller so it doesn't work.

Also I dont have any games to test the console but I put an audio cd inside and it reads it.

Khaz

Well, I wasn't asking about region modchips, but thinking about it, the type of modchip Khaz was talking about is soooorta against GAF TOS, so it's probably in the best interest of all involved if we just shrug it off as "yeah, guess it's gone for good, oh well".

You should look into Pseudo Saturn then. You just need to do a disc swap the first time to install it, and then can be used to start burnt copies of Saturn software.

Khaz

Is there a way to fix a Saturn controller? A pal on another board was generous enough to gift me a Saturn but the connection where you plug in the controller (on the controller itself, not the console) is loose/broken on the controller so it doesn't work.

Also I dont have any games to test the console but I put an audio cd inside and it reads it.

Do you know what's broken exactly? Both Player 1 and Player 2 can control the music player. Do you have other controllers to test?

_Ryo_

Do you know what's broken exactly? Both Player 1 and Player 2 can control the music player. Do you have other controllers to test?

I tried both player 1 and player 2. I think there is a loose connection in the wires that you actually plug in to the console. No I don't have any other controllers.

MikeMyers

Are there any major differences between the US version and Japanese version of Sega Rally? Sega Retro isn't working for me at the moment.

Khaz

Are there any major differences between the US version and Japanese version of Sega Rally? Sega Retro isn't working for me at the moment.

The Saturn version was converted by Sega of Japan's CS Team, under guidance from Sega AM3. The differences in architecture mean the game was almost completely remade for Saturn hardware[6]There are minor differences between regions - generally the US version has fewer graphical details than its Japanese and European counterparts, and its replay mode has fewer camera angles[7]. All versions are compatible with the Arcade Racer Joystick.

See page 7 of http://retrocdn.net/images/3/35/SSM_UK_04.pdf

Khaz

For the sake of it:

a7ODsxK.jpg

Khaz

The PAL, JP and PLUS versions of SEGA Rally all have compatible game saves. Your records and replays can be seen whatever version you are using. This is not the case with the US version.

Another thing to keep in mind, you won't find your old records when switching from US to JP.

Maybe the Netlink edition is compatible though, given it's essentially the same as PLUS.

Galdelico

Whelp, time to get the Japanese version, I don't plan on getting a PAL version at all!

Iirc, Japanese SEGA Rally features the same amount of extras to be found in the PAL game. On top of that, Japanese SEGA Rally Plus adds full support for the 3D Control Pad, which makes it the best version you can get on the Saturn.

MattyH

well ive joined the saturn club picked up a model 1 boxed in good condition for £50 (well traded some old 360 games in so only paid £7) and sega rally gonna get a RGB scart next and hopefully pick up Nights into dreams and Christmas nights is there any other must haves for the saturn accessory wise?

well ive joined the saturn club picked up a model 1 boxed in good condition for £50 (well traded some old 360 games in so only paid £7) and sega rally gonna get a RGB scart next and hopefully pick up Nights into dreams and Christmas nights is there any other must haves for the saturn accessory wise?

Throw out that model 1 controller and pick up a model 2 controller.

Khaz

You want the Nights controller for Nights gameplay.

Also a Memory cart for when the internal memory will fail you.

An action replay / Pseudo Saturn for exotic gaming.

MattyH

You want the Nights controller for Nights gameplay.

Also a Memory cart for when the internal memory will fail you.

An action replay / Pseudo Saturn for exotic gaming.

i picked it up to mainly play nights as ive only every played the XBLA version of Nights and Christmas nights

how much are memory carts these days? when I got my Saturn I simply bought a PAR because of the included features and a few Japanese games I was interested in playing. Is there any advantage to having one other than direct saving with certain titles (I know PDS and NiGHTS supports it)?

Oh I also got an additional PAR later on because of the USB Datalink, that required the comm port on top.

Anyone here play Dungeons and Dragons for the Saturn? How's the language barrier at all? Looks like a pretty decent game.

There are menus with branching paths in the game to choose where you wanna go and they're untranslated.

Game's fun, but the version on Steam, PSN, XBLA, and eShop is a better buy IMO. Especially when you consider how much the Saturn version costs, the long load times despite being a 4M RAM expansion game, and the complete lack of 3P and 4P support.

Conezays

There are menus with branching paths in the game to choose where you wanna go and they're untranslated.

Game's fun, but the version on Steam, PSN, XBLA, and eShop is a better buy IMO. Especially when you consider how much the Saturn version costs, the long load times despite being a 4M RAM expansion game, and the complete lack of 3P and 4P support.

Yeah, definitely some good points. I prefer the Saturn controllers to nearly everything else, let alone with the recent addition of a PVM being my defense :p Also been looking at Power Drift, but it again seems to hover around $100 CDN minimum. I'm mainly just looking at exclusive stuff that seems *relatively* affordable. I'm sure Hyper Duel is cool, but I can't justify $700+ on a single game, Lol.

AmyS

Jesus. Street Fighter Zero 3 for Saturn is pretty crazy expensive. I realize it's probably the best-looking version, possibly better than Dreamcast, NAOMI and PS2 ports.

Is the Saturn version that rare?

maseQNm.jpg

Khaz

It's not rare, there are always some being listed. But people deem it valuable, meaning the asked price creeps up
without even selling
to insane levels.

piggychan

I've had my copy for what seems like 10+ years. I thought it was expensive back then.. but then I got mine still brand new unopened. The ebay seller was based in Hong Kong and even though I paid for EMS shipping to UK I didn't receive it till after waiting near enough a month and I had reported it to ebay and the seller said he forgot to post it.......But when it arrived I was pissed because it was in a jiffy bag and one of the edges had gotten damaged in the post so I gave some negative feedback about it. Looking at those prices I don't think anyone has a clue on what to price it as.....

5e86f853-cc40-46e5-9d3b-a7c0e6d5f11d.jpg

AmyS

This BIN prices are stupid. Auctions are selling lower.
Still expensive tho

HLvgGTG.png

Okay that's not so bad.

I've had my copy for what seems like 10+ years. I thought it was expensive back then.. but then I got mine still brand new unopened. The ebay seller was based in Hong Kong and even though I paid for EMS shipping to UK I didn't receive it till after waiting near enough a month and I had reported it to ebay and the seller said he forgot to post it.......But when it arrived I was pissed because it was in a jiffy bag and one of the edges had gotten damaged in the post so I gave some negative feedback about it. Looking at those prices I don't think anyone has a clue on what to price it as.....

5e86f853-cc40-46e5-9d3b-a7c0e6d5f11d.jpg

Very nice!

MikeMyers

Honestly, you might be better of with the PSX or Dreamcast version of Alpha 3. The Saturn version is the best version, but the PSX and Dreamcast ports aren't bad, and they're affordable. The only thing that really sucks is the controller isn't as good for Street Fighter as the Saturn pad is, but you could probably buy an arcade stick or a Saturn pad converter.

Alpha 2, MSH Vs. SF, and X-Men Vs. SF are all best on Saturn outside of emulation.

MikeMyers

Just watched Kim Justice's video on the Saturn and I actually just realised the irony that Sega of Japan finally got their desire of beating Nintendo in Japan with the Saturn, at the cost of basically destroying themselves everywhere else, lol.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just watched Kim Justice's video on the Saturn and I actually just realised the irony that Sega of Japan finally got their desire of beating Nintendo in Japan with the Saturn, at the cost of basically destroying themselves everywhere else, lol.

Nintendo and Sega should have cooperated on a console, now THAT would have been amazing!

MikeMyers

Weren't they offered to use the chipset that eventually became the N64?

Their Gamecube games did pretty well. Might have been interested if they got bought by Nintendo instead of making all those Xbombs.

Top Bottom