• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Knuxie

Neo Member
Man, I love the Saturn so much, but I don't have many games for it because they're so hard to find :( I just have Street Fighter The Movie The Game, Virtua-On, and VirtuaFighter 2

The thrift store and yardsale gods havent been kind

EDIT: OH! I also have X-Men Children of the Atom, X-Men vs Street Fighter, and VirtuaCop

Mzo

yeah, shit was already $50+ years back when i got into the scene...nahhh, ill keep my capcom fighters all JP i guess
also is Forever even a decent game?

I got it pretty cheap, but that was long ago. I miss those days when I could (and did) buy a Saturn game with a couple of days worth of tips working as a bag boy. I think the J one has Bulleta, anyway.

I'm sure Batman Forever is not that good of a game, but I need it for Chron-Batman! The arcade board is running on ST-V hardware and hasn't been properly emulated, so this is the next closest thing.

MikeMyers

Man, I love the Saturn so much, but I don't have many games for it because they're so hard to find :( I just have Street Fighter The Movie The Game, Virtua-On, and VirtuaFighter 2

The thrift store and yardsale gods havent been kind

EDIT: OH! I also have X-Men Children of the Atom, X-Men vs Street Fighter, and VirtuaCop

Online? Amazon and Ebay have plenty of Saturn games, including imports.

I got it pretty cheap, but that was long ago. I miss those days when I could (and did) buy a Saturn game with a couple of days worth of tips working as a bag boy. I think the J one has Bulleta, anyway.

I'm sure Batman Forever is not that good of a game, but I need it for Chron-Batman! The arcade board is running on ST-V hardware and hasn't been properly emulated, so this is the next closest thing.
Put together a Patreon to fund it. Everyone else does it, that way you can get Batman Forever.

IrishNinja

ah, shit...damn, wish i knew someone that had it.
i will straight up burn a copy you can play over here one day in a pinch, man. i'm down for the cause.
oh wait you said you had it nevermind

That's part of the plan, but I'm waiting until I have a few episodes under my belt.

haha, of course that's part of your plan
gonna be honest, since you mentioned the chron approach to certain series/franchises, ive been thinking it's an awesome idea, really. if i was inclined, i'd do one on Strider, to start with!

goldenpp72

Hey guys, some time ago I posted my collection here thinking I was done but, having been given a nice big space to put all my stuff, I was able to research the rest of the games and decide on others I might enjoy, I think this time, I'm done forever on the Saturn front (US release wise anyways, don't plan on importing :p)

Here is the final result.

To my understanding the system has become unruly to collect for in recent times, but thankfully the stragglers I added were all under 50 bucks. If my memory serves, I added Ghen War, Sky Target, Worms, Cyber Speedway, and a few others I imagine.

alf717

don't plan on importing :p

elRtVJQ.gif

Nice collection =)

goldenpp72

elRtVJQ.gif

Nice collection =)

Originally I planned to, but once I began collecting on 30+ systems I realized I needed to find ways to stem both the financial losses, as well as space allocation, so I put in a strict no import rule. This is particularly painful on Saturn and the Turbografx, but I guess when you have a plan to own 4000 games or whatever, you don't really feel too bad about what you missed :p

alf717

Originally I planned to, but once I began collecting on 30+ systems I realized I needed to find ways to stem both the financial losses, as well as space allocation, so I put in a strict no import rule. This is particularly painful on Saturn and the Turbografx, but I guess when you have a plan to own 4000 games or whatever, you don't really feel too bad about what you missed :p

Thats actually a smart move. If this was 2008 or sooner I would of recommended going after a few imports but that market is getting destroyed now. Sure the common stuff is decent but lets face it most of stuff people want is now in the $100+ range. I got my collection started because I wanted to play Mega Man and Rockman titles on the Saturn for a while. I just ended up buying mostly Capcom titles that I already played on the PS. My Saturn sits, hooked up, but gets turn on when I'm in the mood to do a run through.

goldenpp72

i think Mzo told me that the vast majority of them don't, but there might've been some that did? i know others have printed em, i just leave it that way since most everyone knows, haha

Mine has no spine, I printed one out along with the Christmas nights boxart in order to make it more uniform, but the original one is just right behind it, so no modification was done otherwise.

IrishNinja

Mine has no spine, I printed one out along with the Christmas nights boxart in order to make it more uniform, but the original one is just right behind it, so no modification was done otherwise.

ah, didn't even notice the christmas nights one, nice!

related: does anyone have the paper sleeve for it that says HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM SEGA and wanna part with it? ive got the sleeve but without that message, kills me every chrsitmas

Coda

Nice. I just ordered Daytona Circuit Edition after reading up on how rough the original release (which I own in the Daytona/Virtua Cop/VF2 combo) was.

PS Where are the shmups? :p

They're all in hiding never to be seen again.

I'll post some colorful screenshots of Astra Superstars when it comes in the mail.

MikeMyers

Nice. I just ordered Daytona Circuit Edition after reading up on how rough the original release (which I own in the Daytona/Virtua Cop/VF2 combo) was.

PS Where are the shmups? :p

CE is more like Sega Rally in Daytona skin. Saturn Daytona at least has better music than the arcade version.

And there is one schump in there. See if you can find it.

Saturn Daytona at least has better music than the arcade version.
Eh, they're about the same. Might even side with the arcade version, the singing's a bit more muted. Plus the intro doesn't sound like "Day-ee-hey-yah" (that bit of the Saturn version never made any sense to me).

Conezays

CE is more like Sega Rally in Daytona skin. Saturn Daytona at least has better music than the arcade version.

And there is one schump in there. See if you can find it.

And yeah, I noticed Darius, but lots of other ones to obsess on too :p Can't go wrong with Darius though.

I *love* Sega Rally so looking forward to checking out this "new" version of Daytona.

braves01

Banned
I'm looking to get a Saturn so I can play some fighters. What's a reasonable price for everything, eg console, stick/controller, 4mb cart (action replay?), etc.? I think I may go for a JP console, good move or no? Wishlist of games atm is Vampire Savior, Hunter, Street Fighter Collection, and Xmen vs SF.

MikeMyers

Eh, they're about the same. Might even side with the arcade version, the singing's a bit more muted. Plus the intro doesn't sound like "Day-ee-hey-yah" (that bit of the Saturn version never made any sense to me).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYRfBISyu9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZezhE3lKxo

All down to personal opinion, but I prefer the CD soundtrack because the vocals stand out more, and the more Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, the better.

And yeah, I noticed Darius, but lots of other ones to obsess on too :p Can't go wrong with Darius though.

I *love* Sega Rally so looking forward to checking out this "new" version of Daytona.
Any schumps you recommend that are actually affordable?

I'm looking to get a Saturn so I can play some fighters. What's a reasonable price for everything, eg console, stick/controller, 4mb cart (action replay?), etc.? I think I may go for a JP console, good move or no? Wishlist of games atm is Vampire Savior, Hunter, Street Fighter Collection, and Xmen vs SF.
If you get a US console and an AR, it allows you to play imports including 4mb cart games. If you have a Japanese console...you'll still need the RAM Cart to play X-Men Vs. SF and Vampire Hunter anyways.

Capcom's fighters are really cheap outside of Alpha 3 and FF Revenge, especially if you import.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
get sf collection on PS1 it's better and cheaper.

MikeMyers

Well I wanna try Alpha 2 Gold because it has Cammy in it.

Also I remember a few pages ago people were saying the PS2 version wasn't as good since it doesn't support 240p.

D.Lo

Well I wanna try Alpha 2 Gold because it has Cammy in it.

Also I remember a few pages ago people were saying the PS2 version wasn't as good since it doesn't support 240p.
Yes, PS2 versions look like a smeared pixel mess since there are no visible scanlines if played on a CRT.

If you don't care about the graphics the PS2 versions are okay, but I hate seeing the beautiful 240p artwork ruined.

D.Lo

I have super-vague memories of playing the first Alpha. Does it hold up, these days?
It's very much a beta of Zero 2*. few characters. shared, mostly bland backgrounds, and kind of lame chain combos which make the close game too fast and unbalanced, hence they were thrown out in Z2. It was clearly a rushed release, and Z2 came out just a few months later.

There's still a couple of nice things, Charlie's version of his stage, and the SonSon parody of Lawson connivence stores in the Ryu/Guy stage (which made a nice reappearance in CVSNK) are nice backgrounds. And it was a solid beta, with great new art design.

Z2 actually completely replaces Z1 story wise as well.

*I always refer to the series as Zero instead of Alpha, because the games use a 'Z' motif throughout, eg the Z shaped scene transitions.

it was so dumb to rename it (especially with the nonsense 'Warriors dreams' crap) Even the logo got ruined by changing the name (not to mention of course the horrible 'art' of A1 lol).

Whoever localised this had no style.

Same with Z3:

Edit: Lol I remember those reviews, and the massive backlash. Complaints about stuff not being the same as the arcade (shadows), and other things not being different (arranged soundtrack), ignoring the Saturn having more animation and faster loads lol.

MikeMyers

Yeah, people tend to forget Alpha 2 was more of a remake than a sequel.

I wonder if Zero 3 was only made because of the commercial failure of SF3/CPS3?

Top Bottom