• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

MikeMyers

Well they are both AM1 beat em ups an the presentation always reminded me of each other. Golden Axe has more variety and more going for it, but even as a kid I could tell the same people made it.

D.Lo

Presentation sure. 80s fantasy cheeseball. They have elements in common and appear to be in related universes,

Golden Axe is a medicore '3D' (now sometimes referred to as 'belt scrolling') beat um up. It's a competent overly brown Double Dragon clone with decent generic fantasy tropes (plus some light Sega weidnesss)

Altered Beast is a basic pure 2D actioneer. Almost the entire thing is Sega weirdness (Greek + Generic fantasy + Zombies + other Sega weirdness), it's uglier than GE which is just bland, and has shit gameplay instead of boring/competent.

Khaz

I'll always be forever disappointed that the cartridge port doesn't accept Megadrive games. I was hyped when I first saw this big cartridge slot, it had to mean games on cartridges, unlike the tiny memory slots on the PS1. Alas all I ever used it for was for extra save space.

Not having backward compatibility with the MD32XCD was a big failure imo, they could have grabbed many of their previous customers, instead of having them jump to the Playstation and its fancy 3D.

Not having backward compatibility with the MD32XCD was a big failure imo, they could have grabbed many of their previous customers, instead of having them jump to the Playstation and its fancy 3D.

The console was already $400 in 1995. Could you imagine how expensive it would be if they tried BC? It would have failed even worse.

Khaz

The console was already $400 in 1995. Could you imagine how expensive it would be if they tried BC? It would have failed even worse.

I'm no engineer, I can't say. I only speak as a consumer here. Maybe they could have used chips of the same family, like the 68040 to keep compatibility with the Megadrive, and similarly chips from the 32X family but with kickass 3D rendering? I'd say this wasn't even a consideration as the 32X and the Saturn weren't designed by the same company. The Neptune was a stupid attempt too.

[edit] I'm reading that there is a 68000 in the Saturn, acting as a sound processor. Why they didn't take this opportunity for Megadrive compatibility I don't know.

It would have been nice to have backwards compatibility at first, but everyone wanted 3D. Most that purchased a Saturn probably dumped the Genesis to fund the $399 price anyway.

D.Lo

I'm no engineer, I can't say. I only speak as a consumer here. Maybe they could have used chips of the same family, like the 68040 to keep compatibility with the Megadrive, and similarly chips from the 32X family but with kickass 3D rendering? I'd say this wasn't even a consideration as the 32X and the Saturn weren't designed by the same company. The Neptune was a stupid attempt too.
Saturn does have a 68000 variant, but a Mega Drive isn't just that.

The Mega Drive is a souped up Mark III with some System 16 chips added (hence the hardware backward compatibility). And the Mark III is itself just a souped up SG1000 with an extra video mode. You'd need an entire Mega Drive inside, since the MD design already has literally has three generations of Sega consoles' chips inside.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Saturn does have a 68000 variant, but a Mega Drive isn't just that.

The Mega Drive is a souped up Mark III with some System 16 chips added (hence the hardware backward compatibility). And the Mark III is itself just a souped up SG1000 with an extra video mode. You'd need an entire Mega Drive inside, since the MD design already has literally has three generations of Sega consoles' chips inside.

I'm pretty sure that Master System backwards compatibility is because of hte z80 processors that the Genesis uses mostly for Sound - The Genesis had a Motorola 68000 as the main processor and the Z80 as a secondary processor. As far as I'm aware, in Master System mode, most of the Genesis is disabled and the Z-80 comes back as the main processor.

According to http://sega.wikia.com/wiki/Sega_Mega_Drive

One of the key design features of the console was its backwards compatibility with Sega's previous console, the Sega Master System (SMS). The 16-bit design was based upon the 8-bit design, albeit enhanced and extended in many areas. In order to achieve backwards compatibility, the original SMS central processor and sound chip (the Z80 and SN76489) were included in the Genesis and the Genesis's Video Display Processor (VDP) was capable of the SMS VDP's mode 4 (though it cannot run in modes 0, 1, 2, or 3).

As the cartridge slot was of a different shape, Sega released the Power Base Converter, a separate device that sat between an SMS cartridge and the Genesis's cartridge slot. The Power Base Converter did not contain any SMS components, instead functioning as a pass-through device. The converter contained a top slot for cartridge based games along with a front slot for card based games. Once an 8-bit game was inserted, the system put the Z80 in control, leaving the 68000 idle.

I mean, of course, simply having the main processor on board is not enough to make backwards compatibility work. The Saturn was also a mish mash of off-the-shelf processors bundled together to counter the much more advanced (in 3D) hardware of the playstation, built from the ground up as a 3D powerhouse. Remember that the Saturn was supposed to be a souped up home version of the system32 arcade machine in it's early ages of development, but sega had to do a fast switch to 3D development once the PSX was announced. I don't think they had the time to be bothered with adding Genesis Backwards compatibility.

This is also why some games don't run on the Genesis 3: To cut costs, sega made a new chip that replaced the audio capabilities of the Z80 but didn't mimick all the features of an actual Z80, and games that used it (Virtua Racing comes to mind, and the Bakwards Compatibility) don't work.

Tain

Golden Axe is fun but a little busted. I haven't put enough time into trying to 1CC Altered Beast to feel all that comfortable in judging it. But...

The team also did Die Hard Arcade on Saturn, which I really enjoyed.

...I prefer talking about how great Die Hard Arcade is to comparing Altered Beast vs Golden Axe.

@kimimi on twitter recently posted some dope high-res PS2 emulation shots of Dynamite Deka. I kind of got a kick out of seeing Saturn assets so cleanly (and emulation seems better than the high-level Saturn emulators), even if it makes the game look pretty buffoonish.

D.Lo

I'm pretty sure that Master System backwards compatibility is because of hte z80 processors that the Genesis uses mostly for Sound - The Genesis had a Motorola 68000 as the main processor and the Z80 as a secondary processor. As far as I'm aware, in Master System mode, most of the Genesis is disabled and the Z-80 comes back as the main processor.
A version of the entire board of the Mark III is inside a Mega Drive. The Mega Drive design is literally a Mark III with some extra chips (not a full Japanese Master System, as it lacks the Yamaha YM2413). The only reason the Mega Drive can't play SG1000 games is that the video modes were removed from the VDP, otherwise it has a full SG1000 inside too.

This is also why some games don't run on the Genesis 3: To cut costs, sega made a new chip that replaced the audio capabilities of the Z80 but didn't mimick all the features of an actual Z80, and games that used it (Virtua Racing comes to mind, and the Bakwards Compatibility) don't work.
Sega didn't make the Genesis 3. And it's still got 98% of a Mark III inside.

The Saturn was also a mish mash of off-the-shelf processors bundled together to counter the much more advanced (in 3D) hardware of the playstation, built from the ground up as a 3D powerhouse. Remember that the Saturn was supposed to be a souped up home version of the system32 arcade machine in it's early ages of development, but sega had to do a fast switch to 3D development once the PSX was announced. I don't think they had the time to be bothered with adding Genesis Backwards compatibility.
Yep exactly, the Saturn board is already a veritable cityscape of chips, adding an entire Mega Drive would make it even worse and more expensive.

MikeMyers

Wonder how the Saturn would be if Sega did accept the SGI deal. I'm guessing something like the N64 with two controller slots and a CD drive?

Golden Axe is a great classic and one of my favorite beat 'em ups ever, while Altered Beast is a thoroughly mediocre and forgettable game that isn't much fun. So no, I would say that they are not at all similar, beyond the visual similarities that come from being Sega games released during the same time period...

Conezays

Weird! I booted up Soukyu Gurentai and the menu screen was flickering and moving around, but playing the actual game had zero visual issues. I took out my scart cables and plugged back in and the problem was resolved. Not sure why the menu would look garbled but the game perform fine if there was a cable issue.

Weird! I booted up Soukyu Gurentai and the menu screen was flickering and moving around, but playing the actual game had zero visual issues. I took out my scart cables and plugged back in and the problem was resolved. Not sure why the menu would look garbled but the game perform fine if there was a cable issue.

Are you playing it on a NA Saturn with a Pro Action Replay by any chance?

Is there a fix for getting past the intro FMV on Panzer Dragoon Saga on SSF? It constantly goes to the bios menu after finishing the intro.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Is there a fix for getting past the intro FMV on Panzer Dragoon Saga on SSF? It constantly goes to the bios menu after finishing the intro.

Couple suggestions:

1. Ensure you're mounting the correct file (eg: cue instead of bin/iso, ccd instead of img, mds instead of mdf, etc).
2. Use the appropriate BIOS.
3. Go to EZ Settings and try Full Compatibility mode.
4. If that doesnt work, try High Compatibility mode.
5. Use SSF 0.12 beta R3. It's less buggy than the current build.
6. If all else fails, try uoYabause 0.3.0 for Windows.

piggychan

Ordering Silhouette Mirage.

good. Spend some time with it otherwise first impressions may leave you bewildered. I hope you find the code to unlock the debug mode at some stage because thats when the 2D fun stuff starts happening and takes the Saturn games to another level away from the psx's

Couple suggestions:

1. Ensure you're mounting the correct file (eg: cue instead of bin/iso, ccd instead of img, mds instead of mdf, etc).
2. Use the appropriate BIOS.
3. Go to EZ Settings and try Full Compatibility mode.
4. If that doesnt work, try High Compatibility mode.
5. Use SSF 0.12 beta R3. It's less buggy than the current build.
6. If all else fails, try uoYabause 0.3.0 for Windows.
How do I mount .cue files on virtual drives? It doesn't give me the option to do so.

JDc2zeLh.jpg

lol

I don't know why your virtual drive software doesn't allow you to mount cue files by default, but it definitely should. Try doing this when selecting the file:

rYjVHoe.png

Alright I figured out what was the issue: I was using Virtual Clone Drive which doesn't recognized .cue files. I switched to Daemon Tools and mounted the proper file. Now it works perfectly! Thanks for the help.

(Love your youtube channel BTW. I didn't know you were on GAF)

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Alright I figured out what was the issue: I was using Virtual Clone Drive which doesn't recognized .cue files. I switched to Daemon Tools and mounted the proper file. Now it works perfectly! Thanks for the help.

No prob. If you're ever unsure, remember to always mount the smaller of the two files.

(Love your youtube channel BTW. I didn't know you were on GAF)

Pretty much just in this thread. :p

Conezays

So I've put in Sega Ages (PAL) on my Japanese Saturn with the Action Replay cart. Both Space Harrier and After Burner load up fine but Outrun will not (and it returns to the CD menu). No idea what's going on here; I previously played this disc fine on my NA Saturn. Argh.

Edit: Deleted its save data off the system memory and a few others I didn't care about and it's working now. Go figure. I had this issue occur months ago when Exhumed's save file became corrupt as well.

Rich!

What's a decent price for a 4mb expansion cart? Is the Action Replay the best option? Bought Street Fighter Zero 1-3 for my JP saturn only to realise that 3 won't boot without one!

Also, I managed to get my USA and PAL games working on my JP saturn...with an odd workaround. I installed a modchip, ripped my games to my PC, changed the region using http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/861/ then burnt them to CD. Each game I've tried has worked flawlessly.

Played through some Earthworm Jim 2 on my JP saturn earlier, it was glorious

Man, setting up SSF through Launchbox is such a blast. You get a nice menu of all your games and you can configure Daemon Tools to automatically mount a game with a single click. Its nice since the SSF author never bothered making a nice UI.

Conezays

What's a decent price for a 4mb expansion cart? Is the Action Replay the best option? Bought Street Fighter Zero 1-3 for my JP saturn only to realise that 3 won't boot without one!

Also, I managed to get my USA and PAL games working on my JP saturn...with an odd workaround. I installed a modchip, ripped my games to my PC, changed the region using http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/861/ then burnt them to CD. Each game I've tried has worked flawlessly.

Played through some Earthworm Jim 2 on my JP saturn earlier, it was glorious

Probably around $40 to grab the AR cart which I think is your best bet.

Top Bottom