• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

That new USB solution seems amazing. Hopefully the creator can work out a good production/distribution partner so they're more common than the RHEA.

My modchip will do for now, but I'm definitely interested in anything that means I won't have to use the disc drive anymore!
I like the USB solution, better than installing a hard drive.

That new USB solution seems amazing. Hopefully the creator can work out a good production/distribution partner so they're more common than the RHEA.

My modchip will do for now, but I'm definitely interested in anything that means I won't have to use the disc drive anymore!

There were very few components on it as well so hopefully it'll come out to a decent price.

Timu

Sega Saturn Cracked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E

Thread

89HANHg.gif
Can't wait for this to be available to the public!!!

This is on a Japanese Saturn... i tested with an Action Replay 4M Plus and 3 Sega 4MB carts. In both games i had no issues after pausing for a while, when my carts actually bothered to work ....
1 Sega 4MB seems to be completely fried, it brings up the "cart isn't inserted properly" screen with Vampire Savior. Pocket Fighter can run without a cart at all and the Options screen will tell you if one's inserted - it doesn't recognize this cart. Tried with a few other games and no dice!
The AR4MP doesn't even get to the "cart isn't inserted properly" screen with Vampire Savior. It just black screens after the Capcom logo. Pocket Fighter with this cart though, displays 4MB recognized in the options screen and plays fine.
The other 2 Sega 4MB carts work normally, albeit one is a little temperamental about where it's plugged in!

Semi-conclusion - probably your cart or slot is the trouble, maybe try cleaning or another cart if you have one?
It was a long time ago so i'm not sure which cart i was using, but i remember once, MSHvsSF just started to have glitchy graphics half way through a fight. Unfortunately these things aren't as reliable as an N64 Expansion Pak!

Thanks for your effort. Apparently my 4MB cart has failed, very recently in fact. So I can only use the AR. However, I've witnessed this on more than one Saturn and with both carts. Since two of my three Saturns have failed drives, I can't test on the other right now.

Krikzz, please.

D.Lo

I love how everyone in that video says "Seega"
Official pronunciation by Sega in Australia since the SC3000 in 1983, so really it's the first official English language pronunciation.

The American 'Say gah' is a later version, I assume based on an American accent interpretation of the official Japanese 'Seeeh-gah' jingle. The other USA pronunciation, Segga, I also assume is an alternate interpretation of Seh-gah.

D.Lo

Seh-gah is correct. Slightly prolonged version of the short e sound.

The rest are just accent-based interpretations.

See-gah and Segga are pretty logical interpretations of Sega, using the two differrent possible e sounds.

Say-gah makes sense as an American accent version of a prolonged version (like in the jingle) of 'Seeeeh-gah'.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This might be one of those Mary, Merry and Marry things, but I don't see a difference between Say-guh and Seh-guh.

Or maybe it's that I've never heard anyone say "say-guh" at all. Rather, I think it's just people saying Seh-guh with whatever accent.

Ever since I was a kid it was Seh-guh, which is how you'd say it in Japanese anyway.

my two cents lol.

JLynn

*Thought of Sega Saturn Everdrive*

aKzNmOO_460s.jpg

raw

tumblr_inline_my13sbyDq31rz60rk.gi

I'm sorry I got gif happy but dammit, I've been praying for this shit to happen for years! HALLELUJAH!!!

D.Lo

This might be one of those Mary, Merry and Marry things
I think it is - all three of those words have clearly distinct pronunciations in English and Australian and NZ accents, but are the same or very similar in an American accent.

I'm glad USA media/internet hegemony isn't killing off regional ways of saying things.

Australia and New Zealand had Sega first though ;) NZ even got the console version of the SG1000, one day I dream I'll find one at a garage sale...

Doesn't Sega actually mean masturbation in a one language? o_O

yes, in italian :D

but in some parts of the country the word is also used as "going somewhere (and have fun) instead of going to school" (it should be "skive" in english) and generally it's also used as "wanker"

/end of italian lesson

Conezays

yes, in italian :D

but in some parts of the country the word is also used as "going somewhere (and have fun) instead of going to school" (it should be "skive" in english) and generally it's also used as "wanker"

/end of italian lesson

Interesting! I wonder how their merch sales in Italy compare elsewhere :p

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Official pronunciation by Sega in Australia since the SC3000 in 1983, so really it's the first official English language pronunciation.

The American 'Say gah' is a later version, I assume based on an American accent interpretation of the official Japanese 'Seeeh-gah' jingle. The other USA pronunciation, Segga, I also assume is an alternate interpretation of Seh-gah.

Sega was founded as an American corporation. It was going by "Sega" as early as 1960.

Peagles

Hehe, I still say Seega mostly. That's just how it was here!

IrishNinja

a saturn 'everdrive" sounds neat, but dont we already have SD replacement kits? isnt that pretty much it?

again, modchipping mine years back did it for me, and with this workaround....really not sure what's holding anyone back at this point

Rich!

a saturn 'everdrive" sounds neat, but dont we already have SD replacement kits? isnt that pretty much it?

The sd replacement kit (rhea) is proprietary, complicated, ludicrously expensive and made by one man in a cave at a snail's pace.

By contrast, the new method will be cheap, simple in terms of parts and construction and easy to be mass produced. And you won't need to disassemble the console to use it either.

IrishNinja

what is "this" exactly, though? ya'll are talking about the recent workaround, yeah? not sure how that equates an "everdrive" exactly

Mr. Virus

So, uh, just ordered a copy of a strategy game called Wachenröder because it was dirt cheap. Anyone on here played it/got any impressions? Need to use a guide for story stuff/ learning menus but seems fairly straight forward from all accounts.

Interesting! I wonder how their merch sales in Italy compare elsewhere :p

Megadrive was very popular at the time (as it was in all Europe), then Playstation and backups became very popular and when Dreamcast arrived everyone was waiting for PS2
Don't have so many memories about Master System, but in the middle 80's most of people were playing with C64/Speccy/Amiga

This is a commercial spot : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXAblov5Hw

few notes :

1 - SEGA is spelled as an american word and not how it's written (in italian "e" is spelled similar to "a" in english), in this way it can't be related to the word used for masturbation

2- some football fans maybe will recognize Roberto Mancini, who won a PL with Manchester City some years ago

3- SEGA products in Italy were sold by a company "Giochi Preziosi" and not directly by them, this was a hit point during MS/MD time, but during SS they didn't support it so much and people almost didn't know Saturn was available

Conezays

Megadrive was very popular at the time (as it was in all Europe), then Playstation and backups became very popular and when Dreamcast arrived everyone was waiting for PS2
Don't have so many memories about Master System, but in the middle 80's most of people were playing with C64/Speccy/Amiga

This is a commercial spot : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXAblov5Hw

few notes :

1 - SEGA is spelled as an american word and not how it's written (in italian "e" is spelled similar to "a" in english), in this way it can't be related to the word used for masturbation

2- some football fans maybe will recognize Roberto Mancini, who won a PL with Manchester City some years ago

3- SEGA products in Italy were sold by a company "Giochi Preziosi" and not directly by them, this was a hit point during MS/MD time, but during SS they didn't support it so much and people almost didn't know Saturn was available

Very cool. Nice find with the ad. It's interesting how different parts of the world remember Sega (and other companies). I've met a few people who knew who/what Sonic was yet had idea what Sega was. Go figure.

Shaneus

It's not "Say-ga-ta Sanshiro".

Wow.

Great video too, always nice to hear some well spoken intelligent Australians, compared to most Aussie bogans on youtube.
Exactly. cTrix is actually a pretty decent chiptune creator too, had no idea he was so cluey about circuits and CPUs and such. Hopefully the guy who did this CD hacking will also knock out some pretty cool music with the audio chip, too.

MikeMyers

Megadrive was very popular at the time (as it was in all Europe),

You know I was thinking, given UK is leaving the European market, imagine if we retroactively counted UK as a separate group to Europe for retro consoles.

Certainly does remove the bulk of Sega's Europe success, lol.

StevieWhite

Saturn pals -

Are you aware of any other Saturn games which allowed you to rotate the screen display (a la Galactic Attack) to maintain arcade proportions? Thinking of doing a video on that.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
You know I was thinking, given UK is leaving the European market, imagine if we retroactively counted UK as a separate group to Europe for retro consoles.

Certainly does remove the bulk of Sega's Europe success, lol.

Not really, the Mega Drive and Master System was popular all over Europe.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
They were but I'm not really sure if its to the extent of their UK success. They won quite easily there.

At least here in Norway, the Master System was really popular as a budget system, and the Mega Drive was also very popular, even though the Snes was more popular. And i feel its the same in most other smaller-languages countries, since Nintendo didnt care to commit much there.

Top Bottom