• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

KC-Slater

I do belive so and the maker comes off as an ass IMO but they are just incredible.

GDEMU is the more functional unit. It has a GUI and improves load times but dreamcast games are easy to find and burn.

Rhea/phoebe have no GUI so selecting games is a pain. I only keep 2 games on the card at a time because you manually press a switch to switch games.There are no improved load times either. Good Saturn rips are hard to come across too

The RHEA got a menu back in the winter. It works well, and alleviates blind-switching of games. I also find load times to be improved on the RHEA, especially with stuff like SOTN and fighting games. (Anecdotally at least.)

I'm assuming the Phoebe also got a menu (aren't 21 pin systems a lot more common?).

I ordered another Saturn off eBay, a round button USA model. Hopefully it works great, the seller has solid feedback. If I could find a replacement CD transport I'd still be hesitant to put it in my system after the last transport was killed.

It's a bit of a bummer. I bought my Saturn new in 1996 and installed my own region switch in 1997. I hate giving it up but I think I should probably junk it given that it corrupted a Backup cart and killed a CD transport all in a 24 hour period.

KC-Slater

I'm assuming the Phoebe also got a menu (aren't 21 pin systems a lot more common?).

I'm not sure if the menu works with Phoebe or not (although I imagine it would) but I think the issue was that there were a ton of variants with the round-button models, so it's a safer bet to go with a RHEA/oval button model to ensure compatibility outside of opening the system up to check what you're dealing with.

I'm not sure if the menu works with Phoebe or not (although I imagine it would) but I think the issue was that there were a ton of variants with the round-button models, so it's a safer bet to go with a RHEA/oval button model to ensure compatibility outside of opening the system up to check what you're dealing with.

My 21-pin JVC actually has the oval buttons. While the round button models have three variants, my understanding is that the Phoebe is compatible with all of them, but you might have to remove a trap board.

EDIT: Apparently the Rhea has three newer firmware revisions that aren't available on the Phoebe. So 20-pin may be indeed the best way to go. :-/

EDIT 2: RMenu is indeed available for Phoebe. It also sounds like maybe the Rhea just has more firmware revisions because it had more issues needing fixing, not sure.

back in the winter. It works well, and alleviates blind-switching of games. I also find load times to be improved on the RHEA, especially with stuff like SOTN and fighting games. (Anecdotally at least.)

Well I stand corrected! The creator of the rhea/phoebe states there is no speedup due to the Saturn being very picky with certain games. He had to simulate the exact read speed of the drive.

Apparently.

ShowDog

I would love to have a Rhea and even better a GDEMU. I have 5 Dreamcasts and none of them work reliably, so I don't even bother gaming on the system. Saturn seems incredibly robust and both of mine work fine but the convenience and longevity of these drive emulators is incredible. Hopefully an equivalent will come to the PSX because the library is incredible and those drives are garbage.

Does anyone know if orders will open back up anytime soon? It looks like the creator has suspended the, until he can catch up and he seems like the type that could suddenly stop producing them at anytime.

I would love to have a Rhea and even better a GDEMU. I have 5 Dreamcasts and none of them work reliably, so I don't even bother gaming on the system. Saturn seems incredibly robust and both of mine work fine but the convenience and longevity of these drive emulators is incredible. Hopefully an equivalent will come to the PSX because the library is incredible and those drives are garbage.

Does anyone know if orders will open back up anytime soon? It looks like the creator has suspended the, until he can catch up and he seems like the type that could suddenly stop producing them at anytime.

Does the PS I/O count?

KC-Slater

Well I stand corrected! The creator of the rhea/phoebe states there is no speedup due to the Saturn being very picky with certain games. He had to simulate the exact read speed of the drive.

Apparently.

You can apparently force a 'high speed' data transfer mode, but I don't think I have tried that yet. The shorted load times might just be a placebo-effect, but I am still really loving my RHEA and GDEMU.

As for the firmware, the RHEA has more revisions because it has been out quite a bit longer than the Phoebe, and the processes had been further refined by the time of Phoebe's release.

I'm assuming it's going to take the better part of a year and some good luck if I am to get some. Sounds like he probably won't take orders for a few months if at all, and when he does they'll sell out really, really fast.

I really, really wish Krikzz would get on this scene. Dealing with hobbyist vendors can be maddening.

MikeMyers

If you got to choose a hypothetical universe were you either saw a complete Sonic Xtreme release of a complete Virtua Fighter 3 release, which would you pick?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I would pick Sonic Xtreme simply based on all the hype a potential Saturn Sonic-game would get behind it. Released early in the life span (and pretty good), it could have had a huge impact on the generation, and maybe helped Sega stay afloat longer.

when-people-ask-me-if-we-should-get-fries-or-wings-with-our-pizza-why-not-both-1460322811.jpg

Virtua Fighter 3

Khaz

VF3, because it means in that universe SEGA was successful enough not to end Saturn support in 1998 and carry on developing stuff for it in 1999, 2000? More SEGA games (Shenmue), more third party translations, potentially addon hardware to support more complex 3D games?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Virtua Fighter 3 because that game is my wife

i've kept her in the basement since september because she needs a new power supply

ShowDog

Absolutely go with VF3. The AM2 magic on Saturn died too soon. The things they did on the platform... They were like science experiments morphed into consumer entertainment.

MikeMyers

I would pick Sonic Xtreme simply based on all the hype a potential Saturn Sonic-game would get behind it. Released early in the life span (and pretty good), it could have had a huge impact on the generation, and maybe helped Sega stay afloat longer.
It definitely would have sold well, given that even the lesser mainline Sonic games tend to sell well. Dunno how much it would have changed the Saturn's fortune, since the system was pretty much of borrowed time straight away in the West.

VF3 Saturn will forever be one of biggest mysterious to me. Wonder if the Saturn really could have pulled it off.

Khaz

Is there a list anywhere of which disc arts from WD RPGs are the most rare or at least uncommon?

Last time I looked into it, most of the rarity reports were conflicting personal experience "I saw more of these", with different people arguing for different discs. In my opinion they were probably all pressed in similar numbers, and the one disc you are looking for is always the most elusive one, because bias.

MikeMyers

Shining Wisdom seems to be the most common from what I've seen. As for most expensive, maybe Magic Knight Rayearth? It was literally the last US release.

Also, how are the ports of Sonic 1-3&K in Sonic Jam? I've heard 2 has some music changes or something?

Also, how are the ports of Sonic 1-3&K in Sonic Jam? I've heard 2 has some music changes or something?
It's been a while since I played them, but from what I remember the music is streamed off the CD, so it takes a moment to queue up. When the BGM changes (like when you get the invincibility sheild), there will be an obvious pause in music while the tracks change. Once the shield runs out, the stage BGM will return, but start over from the beginning.

I don't remember if the physics were altered from the Genesis games or anything like that.

It's worth noting that the devs also included optional ROM hack style changes you can enable such as spindash in Sonic 1 and easy mode with little to no enemies and bottomless pits.

Conezays

It's been a while since I played them, but from what I remember the music is streamed off the CD, so it takes a moment to queue up. When the BGM changes (like when you get the invincibility sheild), there will be an obvious pause in music while the tracks change. Once the shield runs out, the stage BGM will return, but start over from the beginning.

I don't remember if the physics were altered from the Genesis games or anything like that.

It's worth noting that the devs also included optional ROM hack style changes you can enable such as spindash in Sonic 1 and easy mode with little to no enemies and bottomless pits.

I also feel like Sonic 3 runs better than the original Genesis version but perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me. I think it's a nice collection for the Saturn if you can find it for a decent price.

Mzo

Shining Wisdom seems to be the most common from what I've seen. As for most expensive, maybe Magic Knight Rayearth? It was literally the last US release.
I think he means disc variants of the same games since it was WD's favorite thing to do.

MikeMyers

Hmm, I'll check to see if Sonic Retro has any differences listed.

What I would have liked to see Sega do is something similar to what Nintendo did with Super Mario All-Stars on the Super Nintendo: enhanced remakes of Sonic 1-3&K. Could have been really impressive with the Saturn's 2D.

MikeMyers

It's a toss up for either Sonic 1 or 2 as my favorite Sonic games. I like the early stages of 2 the best but it kinda drags a bit towards the end.

agreed!

ehhh it's not hard, but some people find the last 2 bosses (with no rings) tricky, of course until you get the patterns down

still ashamed that it's the only one i've never gone super sonic in...i always forget to play without tails

God damn tails, quit running into spike balls. >:C

shanafan

Finally joined the Sega Saturn family today. Been on the hunt for one today, and a retro store had one for $60 US. Was the console, controller, and necessary cables.

I already owned Double Switch on the Saturn (my all-time favorite game), so now I am able to see how it compares to the Sega CD version.

Now off to check out the video upgrade options! Maybe My Life in Gaming made an episode?

Question - is the ram cart a requirement for the Saturn, or is there internal memory?

Mzo

I do the same. Looks incredible. I'm sure a PVM is nice and whatever, but I get CRTs that are bigger for under $10 or free, and everything looks amazing through component.

Khaz

Yep, SD CRT with Component, through a Component box, and you'll get the same quality as a European consumer CRT with Scart RGB.

Khaz

Hypothetical, how well do US/Japanese games work on a PAL Saturn in the UK if I use the Action Replay to bypass the region code?

Just as well as your typical non-PAL-optimised if you haven't 50/60Hz-modded it. With a vertically crushed screen and slower gameplay. Games with cut scenes like Magic knight Rayearth or Albert odyssey will get video/audio desync.

Top Bottom