• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Wereroku

Been searching for Enemy Zero now that I have purchased a Saturn. It is really expensive though, so I have started looking at the French and German versions of the game which aren't as pricey. Anyone know if those versions are in English or are they just translated to French/German?

It's a bad game so I recommend using your money on something better and just listen to the soundtrack or watch a youtube walk through.

Arizato

It's a bad game so I recommend using your money on something better and just listen to the soundtrack or watch a youtube walk through.

Really? I watched Happy Video Game Nerd's/Stop Skeletons from Fighting's video review of it a few years ago and he had lots of awesome things to say about it. Looks really atmospheric and I really loved D.

Wereroku

Really? I watched Happy Video Game Nerd's/Stop Skeletons from Fighting's video review of it a few years ago and he had lots of awesome things to say about it. Looks really atmospheric and I really loved D.
The actual gameplay is bad. The atmosphere and music is excellent. That's why I said listen to the music and watch a play through. But firing the weapons is garbage and the exploring isn't that great either.

Welp, I'm selling my Virtual On and twin stick. I don't use them since I suck hard at the game. lol

I always wanted these sticks, but I can't justify something like that just for one game. I know Gun Griffon 2 supports it, but I don't own that. Would have been cool if Mechwarrior 2 had the support.

Just a feeler, anyone interested in picking up a CIB of Cotton Boomerang? Probably going to list mine here in a bit now that I see it's going for ~$300 once you take away the eBay fees.

Its what Sonic 4 should've been. I wonder if the tech would be able to run on a Dreamcast...
Taxman once got his fangame RetroSonic running on a Dreamcast, and that engine eventually evolved into the one used for the iOS ports (and presumably for Mania too), so... possibly?

Didn't seem like Konami was too big on supporting the Saturn.

Shame since they were one of the better Mega Drive devlopers.

Konami supported Super Famicom as well as they did with the Megadrive, but N64 was basically ignored except for some sport titles (Perfect Eleven/ISS and Pawapuro Baseball)

Bar81

getting a 3D game that's pretending to be a 2D game to run as well on the saturn as on the PS1 was a bit too much to ask, I guess

No. If you watch the video it's basically Konami didn't know what the fuck they were doing on the SS and basically just did a shit job of porting it (which has been known for quite some time but the video was very informative in showing some of the specific poor programming decisions by Konami).

Rich!

No. If you watch the video it's basically Konami didn't know what the fuck they were doing on the SS and basically just did a shit job of porting it (which has been known for quite some time but the video was very informative in showing some of the specific poor programming decisions by Konami).

alright, let me rephrase

getting a 3D game that's pretending to be a 2D game to run as well on the saturn as on the PS1 was a bit too much to ask from konami's coders, I guess

Rich!

Yeah I liked the Goemon games.

Are there any notworthy Konami Saturn games? Or is it mostly ports and collections?

from what I've seen, as a relatively new jp saturn owner, there's mostly ports and collections - but by far the best ports and collections available on any console. I absolutely love the twinbee and parodius collections.

Galdelico

New owner?

Get Fighters Megamix!
As I'm playing FM quite intensively again, I have to say this game still holds up very well. Sure it lacks the polished, hi-res impact of Virtua Fighter 2 or Dead or Alive, and it's nowhere as balanced as the fighting games we're used to play today, but still, it's surprisingly modern and entertaining.
Also, I forgot how dramatically the FMV quality improved, on the Saturn. FM's fullscreen intro is pretty awesome, isn'it?

alright, let me rephrase
Doesn't actually fix the issue - the PS1 version actually isn't a 3D game pretending to be 2D. It's being rendered with tiled graphics like every 2D game made prior to it.

Though some screens do use 3D elements, that's true. The vast majority don't.

Khaz

Doesn't actually fix the issue - the PS1 version actually isn't a 3D game pretending to be 2D. It's being rendered with tiled graphics like every 2D game made prior to it.

Though some screens do use 3D elements, that's true. The vast majority don't.

There's a popular theory on the internet that says SOTN sprites are textures on the side of a 3D polygon with its third dimension squished to 0. Which is how Konami was able to make such a massive "2D" game without putting the console to its knees, and why the Saturn port is such a mess. I don't know how true this is.

Again, the video explicitly goes into this. It's using the PS1's sprite feature to draw a bunch of 8x8 or 16x16 tiles/sprites everywhere, and that's how the vast majority of the game's graphics are pieced together. The only exceptions are the obviously-3D assets like the clock tower in the opening, or the nave in the Royal Chapel.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's because the Saturn doesn't support the same resolution the sprites are designed to work with and that the Saturn also does actually suck at transparencies, though the port of SOTN could have handled them better.

It's actually shocking that Sega looked over the bloodbath of the 16 bit era, decides to make a 2D juggernaut for the home console and still doesn't have a solution for transparencies as nice as the SNES.

piggychan

Saturn SotN is minced ass. I always tell folks to avoid it at all costs, lol.

I really enjoyed the saturn version since that was the first version of SoTN that I played and then many years later I got it on xbox live.

EDIT

That DF vid should have used Success's Cotton games as an example of fancy 2D effects and transparencies on saturn.

rkGPnk.gif

M8qRxB.gif

jRwEKY.gif

M8qRAP.gif

or even this really old game!
73xoB8.gif

zp81w5.gif

MikeMyers

As I'm playing FM quite intensively again, I have to say this game still holds up very well. Sure it lacks the polished, hi-res impact of Virtua Fighter 2 or Dead or Alive, and it's nowhere as balanced as the fighting games we're used to play today, but still, it's surprisingly modern and entertaining.
Also, I forgot how dramatically the FMV quality improved, on the Saturn. FM's fullscreen intro is pretty awesome, isn'it?

Yeah it's one I come back to a lot.

And yeah, DOA1 and VF2 are two of the better looking games for the system. Might be easier for fighting games since it's usually just two characters and a background.

Khaz

The dancing character in that idol game whose name eludes me at the moment (the one made by am2) is also quite impressive. it's more a demo than a game though, there's barely anything to do in it.

piggychan

The dancing character in that idol game whose name eludes me at the moment (the one made by am2) is also quite impressive. it's more a demo than a game though, there's barely anything to do in it.

I think I read that game was also made by AM2 and the idol at that time was Yu Zusuki favorite singer according to the UK Official Sega Saturn mag.

EDIT:
I shouldn't nitpick at that DF vid of SOTN but I feel it failed to mention the new exclusive areas where monsters are half transparent the transparency effects they are applied correctly and the Saturn game plays faster since Alucard can run.. but earlier maybe the sun fried my brain.. ah well bed time!

xk0YWE.gif

kRxGWK.gif

StevieWhite

Just finished Deep Fear. That game is quite a weird cocktail. With just a few tweaks to the pacing and sound design, could have been amazing. Does tank controls better than any survival horror game of its vintage. Unfortunately... it just ain't scary.

koopas

I asked this in the Retro thread but figured I'd ask it here also - is there any benefit to using a Victor Saturn over a regular model?

piggychan

I asked this in the Retro thread but figured I'd ask it here also - is there any benefit to using a Victor Saturn over a regular model?

I used to own the 2nd model which was the V-saturn which I really liked the strange color aesthetics. There is really not much benefit except that it felt heavier than the original sega saturn.

StevieWhite

Saturn SOTN isn't BAD. It's just WORSE. It's not a great port, but it is light years away from unplayable.

DF video was great though, both as a fan of the game and the system

KC-Slater

Saturn SOTN isn't BAD. It's just WORSE. It's not a great port, but it is light years away from unplayable.

Agreed. The Saturn version isn't a great port, but the game itself is still fantastic and you really wouldn't know what you're missing unless you are a superfan or perhaps played the PS1 version very recently so the differences are highlighted.

SOTN on the Saturn is like pizza -- even when it's not great, it's still pizza, which is awesome.

D&D, but honestly get that on Steam/WiiU/XBLA/PSN or the standalone PS3 disc import if you have access to any of those systems. They're all way better than the Saturn version.

Top Bottom