• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Teknoman

Awesome coincidence took place this week as I'm unloading some Vita LEs I don't care about. Traded in some dupes and a couple of them locally for this:

Totally worth it. All the stickers and everything, Umi disc. Started playing it and it's a lot of fun. Didn't think I'd ever be able to justify the price at this point. I think now Shining the Holy Ark is the last of the expensive Saturn games I still want.

Maybe I should do that for whatever games I dont want... Kinda makes me wish I had doubles of the rares i've come into. Really do want Magic Knight Rayearth and Burning Rangers still.

Overall I could see that, but Akira's theme in VF2 is so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rYwRH7Ilfk

Got hype everytime I heard this in Project X Zone. VF2 has such a great soundtrack in general. Sarah and Lion stages too.

IrishNinja

congrats, Mzo! glad you finally got it man - i just finished it earlier this year, i think you'll have a blast with it. i totally couldn't keep up with all the diary stuff though, man Vic really went all out with that...

also Ark isn't really that bad price wise is it? shouldn't be out of your reach for long. i'm glad i got my saturn stuff down a while back too, prices are terrible...i'd wanted more AGES stuff but not for what they're currently asking.

congrats, Mzo! glad you finally got it man - i just finished it earlier this year, i think you'll have a blast with it. i totally couldn't keep up with all the diary stuff though, man Vic really went all out with that...

I really should play my copy, i love the time i spent with it, but i keep getting distracted by imports and other games. I played about an hour of Magic Knight and really dug it.

Speaking of which, i got my mind blown recently that there is an anime Uno game on the Saturn, and every part of me wants it.

NDPsycho

Awesome coincidence took place this week as I'm unloading some Vita LEs I don't care about. Traded in some dupes and a couple of them locally for this:

Totally worth it. All the stickers and everything, Umi disc. Started playing it and it's a lot of fun. Didn't think I'd ever be able to justify the price at this point. I think now Shining the Holy Ark is the last of the expensive Saturn games I still want.

Nice pick up. Which le's did you end up trading?

Seik

Banned
Complete the game without continuing, then go to the title screen, highlight option and hold down L + R then press Start You should enter a new option screen, which open some new options and let you change all the text to English

EDIT:

Other hidden stuff in Vampire Savior

Hold L and press all three Punch buttons while selecting Gallon / Jon Talbain to play as him in a 'Dark' version. In this version, he has some different moves, and different animations.

Hold L when selecting Phobos / Huitzil at the character select screen.

While playing, do not lose any rounds, do not continue, defeat two characters with an EX move finish, and use Manual Mode. After beating Jedah, Oboro Bishamon should come out to fight you, defeat him to unlock him.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/saturn/199177-vampire-savior-the-lord-of-vampire/cheats

Alright so I'm buying Vampire Savior tonight it seems.

Teknoman

I really should play my copy, i love the time i spent with it, but i keep getting distracted by imports and other games. I played about an hour of Magic Knight and really dug it.

Speaking of which, i got my mind blown recently that there is an anime Uno game on the Saturn, and every part of me wants it.

Anime Uno? Now thats something you dont hear every day.

piggychan

Alright so I'm buying Vampire Savior tonight it seems.

My only disappointment with is was that the in-game soundtracks are red book. I would have preferred them to be chip music so that they could continuously loop without any breaks. That's about the only complaint, a great Saturn port to own!

congrats. A fine action RPG with lots of cut scenes taken from the anime. Lots of great music too with really lush 2D art. I found it a little short but like Albert Odyssey once I completed it I didn't have much incentive to revisit it unlike Panzer Saga, Shining the Holy Ark, Shining Force III.

Mzo

Nice pick up. Which le's did you end up trading?

Some I didn't even list on the BST thread. Not sure why they've spiked up so much, like Senran Kagura Shinovi Vs. and Dangan Ronpa. I'm gonna make a killing dropping back to just the game alone without sunglasses, pins, ties, or whatever useless shit they all had.

Keeping the Persona and Falcom PSP and Vita LEs, though.

congrats. A fine action RPG with lots of cut scenes taken from the anime. Lots of great music too with really lush 2D art. I found it a little short but like Albert Odyssey once I completed it I didn't have much incentive to revisit it unlike Panzer Saga, Shining the Holy Ark, Shining Force III.

I am down for a short-type game right now. My gf likes the anime so we're having a blast with this.

JLynn

I wouldn't give Vic ALL the credit. Praise the programming team who had to essentially recreate the game from scratch after the bulk of the original source code was lost in a HDD crash. According to former programmer Tim Trzepacz Vic would have cancelled it if it wasn't for Tim's influence in it.

I'm in the middle of moving and I realize I had a lot of store credit at a retro game store I frequented. I ended up going for broke and got over $270 worth of goods and ended up paying $1.63 out of pocket. Among them was a copy of VF2.

I wouldn't give Vic ALL the credit. Praise the programming team who had to essentially recreate the game from scratch after the bulk of the original source code was lost in a HDD crash. According to former programmer Tim Trzepacz Vic would have cancelled it if it wasn't for Tim's influence in it.

I'm in the middle of moving and I realize I had a lot of store credit at a retro game store I frequented. I ended up going for broke and got over $270 worth of goods and ended up paying $1.63 out of pocket. Among them was a copy of VF2.

It is really weird seeing posts i've seen on Facebook here. This is the 2nd one this week (there was another one in the Sega Genesis thread)

GAF is escaping its walls.

Also, Vic is a huge part of Working Design, but i feel that constantly downplays the rest of the team.

NDPsycho

Some I didn't even list on the BST thread. Not sure why they've spiked up so much, like Senran Kagura Shinovi Vs. and Dangan Ronpa. I'm gonna make a killing dropping back to just the game alone without sunglasses, pins, ties, or whatever useless shit they all had.

Keeping the Persona and Falcom PSP and Vita LEs, though.

Sounds like you did well. I'm trying to stop buying le's too. It is a waste a lot and I actually like the uniformity of just the standard game cases. I'm a sucker for statues though.

Loved the game you got and really appreciate the extra everything that went into WD releases. They still feel a step above now.

JLynn

It is really weird seeing posts i've seen on Facebook here. This is the 2nd one this week (there was another one in the Sega Genesis thread)

GAF is escaping its walls.

Also, Vic is a huge part of Working Design, but i feel that constantly downplays the rest of the team.

I found out not a lot of people cross over to other systems' threads here. I also posted this in the Turbo and NES threads as I bought items for the respective consoles. And I did post pics of the lot in multiple facebook boards.

And don't get me wrong I appreciate Vic for all he did and continues to do. Bernie Stolar rubbed him the wrong way to the point he was all screw it all, I don't wanna handle with their mess anymore. I understand Vic's point of view, but at the same time I gotta go with Tim. His crew spent countless hours rebuilding the game and it would have been a waste if it was for nothing.

I have a Action Replay 4M cartridge, and I've been thinking of flashing it with Pseudo Saturn Kai. I notice that it has a Save Data Manager, does it work that exact same way as the one on the original Action Replay firmware? This is a deal breaker for me, as I want to make sure that I can still preserve my game saves since the battery in my Saturn is dead.

Edit: and just to confirm, regular Pseudo Saturn does not have any save functionality, correct?

alf717

I have a Action Replay 4M cartridge, and I've been thinking of flashing it with Pseudo Saturn Kai. I notice that it has a Save Data Manager, does it work that exact same way as the one on the original Action Replay firmware? This is a deal breaker for me, as I want to make sure that I can still preserve my game saves since the battery in my Saturn is dead.

Edit: and just to confirm, regular Pseudo Saturn does not have any save functionality, correct?

I'm curious about this as well. Looks like AR 4 in 1's need to use Pseudo Saturn Kai Lite to perform the install. Losing my save data on the AR 4 in 1 is why I never tried Pseudo Saturn but if if Kai Lite offers a save data manager without losing the original data that would be great.

IrishNinja

fair! i just meant his weird obsession with all that VA work on all the diary entries, can't imagine that didn't hold things up a bit

Wereroku

fair! i just meant his weird obsession with all that VA work on all the diary entries, can't imagine that didn't hold things up a bit
And getting all of them are worth it. The bloopers are great I really need to record them bit my save erased so I would have to 100 percent again.

koopas

Wow nice find. Rayearth quite possibly being the Saturn title with the biggest price regional pricr disparity. Seriously you can pick up the Japanese version for around ten bucks .... Good luck finding the NA version for that.

Are you going for any Japan exclusives?

Roge_NES

YjyifTe.jpg

Finally had time and good weather to restore this bad boy.
Any good place to order a replacement battery?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Was just able to order Power Drift after staying up and sniping it (i hate this, but its the only way on ebay). Looking forward to finally be able to check it out!

Edit: Btw, about those batteries, are they all of equal quality? Can i order the 99cent ones from hong kong and except them to be as good as anyone else?

koopas

Was just able to order Power Drift after staying up and sniping it (i hate this, but its the only way on ebay). Looking forward to finally be able to check it out!

Edit: Btw, about those batteries, are they all of equal quality? Can i order the 99cent ones from hong kong and except them to be as good as anyone else?
You can actually go into your local dollar store and purchase them if you don't want to wait. They're just your standard watch battery. I haven't found a difference I'm using a Panasonic one and it seems fine. As long as it's not leaking I'm happy frankly haha.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
You can actually go into your local dollar store and purchase them if you don't want to wait. They're just your standard watch battery. I haven't found a difference I'm using a Panasonic one and it seems fine. As long as it's not leaking I'm happy frankly haha.

Yeah, guess Im doing that later then!

Recently watched this good video looking back at Resident Evil 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP98OpAaRbk

He talks about how vanilla RE for the US (which is the same version we got in Europe). How they removed auto-aim to make it harder, and how the extremely slow turning really made the game brutal at times.

I've replayed this game tons of times, but in recent years it's been the Dir.Cut (the PAL version which has the good music). But I decided to replay the vanilla version, which at least in gameplay mechanics and with no auto-aim goes for the Saturn version too (there are some other "upgrades" like alternate outfits and new enemy skins in the underground caves, nothing major).

Since I have the game for both PS1 and the Saturn, but never played it on the Saturn before, I just went in and played that version!

Great nostalgic playthrough, and I was actually brutally killed three times thanks to real slow turning! Got through the game fairly easily though, and as he mentions in the video, is much thanks to me knowing what happens and when to be ready for the more difficult parts. Playing the game with no prior knowledge however is much harder. Ended up with a load of bazooka shots and f-aid sprays to take down Tyrant with.

Great fun and the Saturn version works fine, real sharp picture quality through RGB!

Some pics playing it on a Sony TV I picked up for free this summer:

photo14-08-16123624t8kdj.jpg

photo14-08-161239199pjxd.jpg

I remember seeing this picture slide freaked me out when I was young:
photo14-08-161331032aktq.jpg

gelf

Recently watched this good video looking back at Resident Evil 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP98OpAaRbk

He talks about how vanilla RE for the US (which is the same version we got in Europe). How they removed auto-aim to make it harder, and how the extremely slow turning really made the game brutal at times.

I've replayed this game tons of times, but in recent years it's been the Dir.Cut (the PAL version which has the good music). But I decided to replay the vanilla version, which at least in gameplay mechanics and with no auto-aim goes for the Saturn version too (there are some other "upgrades" like alternate outfits and new enemy skins in the underground caves, nothing major).

Since I have the game for both PS1 and the Saturn, but never played it on the Saturn before, I just went in and played that version!

Great nostalgic playthrough, and I was actually brutally killed three times thanks to real slow turning! Got through the game fairly easily though, and as he mentions in the video, is much thanks to me knowing what happens and when to be ready for the more difficult parts. Playing the game with no prior knowledge however is much harder. Ended up with a load of bazooka shots and f-aid sprays to take down Tyrant with.

Great fun and the Saturn version works fine, real sharp picture quality through RGB!

I'm really tempted to play a RE without auto aim on now. It's been a long time since I tried that. Saturn version was the first I played and yes it was damn tough at first but ultimately enjoyable.

piggychan

The saturn version has some nice surprises too including 2 tyrants at the end and a battle mode.

MikeMyers

Wasn't RE actually in development on Saturn first despite releasing on PSX first?

2 was meant to come to Saturn but got moved to Dreamcast.

I'm really tempted to play a RE without auto aim on now. It's been a long time since I tried that. Saturn version was the first I played and yes it was damn tough at first but ultimately enjoyable.
Go for it! It's less difficult if you remember what happens though, makes it easier to plan ahead!
The saturn version has some nice surprises too including 2 tyrants at the end and a battle mode.
I think the double Tyrant thing must be in battle mode, because the main story game was identical as the PS1 at the end!
Wasn't RE actually in development on Saturn first despite releasing on PSX first?

2 was meant to come to Saturn but got moved to Dreamcast.
Sure you're not thinking of the first Tomb Raider? That was intentionally developed for the Saturn, much because of Core's good relationship with Sega.

Yeah it's kind of sad we didn't see the Saturn version of RE2!

gelf

I always used Sarah for my playthroughs, so it actually took me a while to realise that Chicago wasn't Jacky's real stage.
I didn't like playing as Jacky because I'd miss out on Sarah's stage and theme.

Did anyone else love playing Ranking mode in VF2? I had no idea what to do to get a high ranking but I kept plugging away with trial and error anyway. Highest I got was I think a 2nd with Sarah and Wolf.

Galdelico

Let's start the new page with some haul. :)

Thor and Decathlete came in to replace my old copies with other ones in better conditions, and while I know DBZ Legend is a bit of a kusoge, I still have fond memories of playing it with my brother, ages ago, so I wanted to add it back to my collection, at some point.

SF: Real Battle on Film, believe it or not, I'm quite curious to try it out... Guilty pleasures, you can say. :D
I hardly see Panzer Dragoon I & II on sale, and - even though it's not as nearly as collectible as Western PD Saga - I didn't think about it twice, as soon as I came across that sealed copy.
Now, about Rabbit and Sonic Council. I know the former isn't especially loved, here on GAF, but once I read you can disable the awful zoom function (after you beat the game once), I decided to pick it up anyway. On the other hand, I've always heard Sonic Council is pretty solid... Then again, too good of a deal to pass on.

And... My very first US game for the Saturn! I couldn't belive I found a complete copy in such good conditions, for such a good price (I believe it cost me less than 25 euros). I was looking for it since ages, and I didn't even have to import it from the US either. Now, if only I could find Quake and Powerslave as well...

Top Bottom