• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Dwayne

Hmm... yeah, I guess I could do that. I'm used to using forwarding services for stuff from Amazon Japan. But like, is it easy to get an account set up and everything? Not sure if you can switch the language to English or if I just have to tough it and pretend to know Japanese.

The forwarding service websites are in English, you can use sites like segaretro to get the Japanese name for any game you want. Besides that just run the auction through google translate to get the gist of it.

Do any of these forwarding services take PayPal?
Yeah. I used FromJapan last time and it was PayPal.

Bar81

How do you even get to yahoo auctions japan?

EDIT: Figured it out lol... Still hefty stuff on Battle G. and HyperDuel heh.

There's no savings on Yahoo JP these days - prices are similar (or even higher in some cases - JP sellers have figured out there's a ton of western buyers on there via proxy and they're mostly idiots).

Things to keep in mind:

(1). Don't forget to factor in handling, internal shipping and conversion fees - it can be a chunk of change.

(2). Apparently Japanese peeps take some of the worst pics known to man so if you're particular on condition ths may not be the way to go. You also can't ask any questions either. Just assume every sale is as-is - it's not for the faint of heart.

(3). Most auctions are extended - meaning that they don't end until all but one person stops bidding. If you're competitive you can end up paying more than intended.

(4). There is no paypal - fees are paid via wire transfer on Yahoo JP so make sure you know the service's refund policy or you can take a real bath if the seller is a scumbag.

Yahoo JP was tolerable up until the last year - now most things I bid on I'm fighting it out with other proxy bidders and with Yahoo JP's extended auction system prices can get stupid with idiots who just want to "win". These days I only use Yahoo JP for something that I can't find on ebay after months of searching. I'd rather pay extra on ebay since I know what I'm getting and I'm fully protected if a problem comes up.

televator

There's no savings on Yahoo JP these days - prices are similar (or even higher in some cases - JP sellers have figured out there's a ton of western buyers on there via proxy and they're mostly idiots).

Things to keep in mind:

(1). Don't forget to factor in handling, internal shipping and conversion fees - it can be a chunk of change.

(2). Apparently Japanese peeps take some of the worst pics known to man so if you're particular on condition ths may not be the way to go. You also can't ask any questions either. Just assume every sale is as-is - it's not for the faint of heart.

(3). Most auctions are extended - meaning that they don't end until all but one person stops bidding. If you're competitive you can end up paying more than intended.

(4). There is no paypal - fees are paid via wire transfer on Yahoo JP so make sure you know the service's refund policy or you can take a real bath if the seller is a scumbag.

Yahoo JP was tolerable up until the last year - now most things I bid on I'm fighting it out with other proxy bidders and with Yahoo JP's extended auction system prices can get stupid with idiots who just want to "win". These days I only use Yahoo JP for something that I can't find on ebay after months of searching. I'd rather pay extra on ebay since I know what I'm getting and I'm fully protected if a problem comes up.

Isn't it still worth it for buying several things at once?

MikeMyers

Was at my friends birthday party, and he had Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter and Virtual-On with the Twin Sticks as playable games there.

Bar81

Isn't it still worth it for buying several things at once?

Maybe some low end common stuff from the same seller, but otherwise eBay is often the same price when you factor in all the costs. In any case, I wouldn't say don't look, just keep the points I mentioned in mind when deciding if it makes sense versus what's already out there.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
W8AXPFX.png

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Had suuuuuch a good time with VF1 and VF2 last night. I'd never played VF1 before. Lau's touch-of-death combo is hilariously easy, and you can even pick people up with 2_3P after a rising attack! Totally nuts.

But man... Switching to VF2 felt like a generation leap. The most obvious improvement isn't the character models or the textures or anything --- it's the framerate. VF2 at 60fps (better than the arcade version, remember!) is just so good.

tumblr_no5d2xZkYV1slig2vo1_400.gif

Mostly tried Jacky combos and trying to get the winpose glitch, which isn't as funny in the Saturn version as it is the arcade version, but you can still do it.

tumblr_nx2dcb4SlH1slig2vo1_500.gif

tumblr_nie0b9qGBs1slig2vo1_500.gif

(that's a sample of what you can do in the arcade version... in the Saturn version, it just freezes them in their standing animation)

Sapiens

VF1 - pretty nostalgic about that one (and all of the Saturn launch games to be honest).

Seeing VF1 on the Saturn in the Spring/Summer of 1995 was, as hard as it is to believe now, pretty mindblowing.

piggychan

Had suuuuuch a good time with VF1 and VF2 last night. I'd never played VF1 before. Lau's touch-of-death combo is hilariously easy, and you can even pick people up with 2_3P after a rising attack! Totally nuts.

But man... Switching to VF2 felt like a generation leap. The most obvious improvement isn't the character models or the textures or anything --- it's the framerate. VF2 at 60fps (better than the arcade version, remember!) is just so good.

Did you ever get hold of a japanese VF2 Bible book ?? I kinda feel this is something you would like to own.

MikeMyers

Speaking of, I'm trying to assemble a list of what Sega arcade games got Saturn ports. So far I have:

-After Burner (Sega AM2)
-After Burner II (Sega AM2)
-Baku Baku Animal (Sega AM3)*
-Daytona USA (Sega AM2)
-Decathlete (Sega AM3)*
-Die Hard Arcade (Sega AM1)*
-Fighting Vipers (Sega AM2)
-Funky Head Boxers (Sega AM3)*
-Golden Axe: The Duel (Sega AM1)*
-House of the Dead (Sega AM1)
-Last Bronx (Sega AM3)
-Manx TT Superbike (Sega AM3)
-Outrun (Sega AM2)
-Power Drift (Sega AM2)
-Rad Mobile (Sega AM2)
-Sega Rally Championship (Sega AM3)
-Sky Target (Sega AM1)
-Space Harrier (Sega AM2)
-Virtua Cop (Sega AM2)
-Virtua Cop 2 (Sega AM2)
-Virtua Fighter (Sega AM2)
-Virtua Fighter 2 (Sega AM2)
-Virtua Fighter Kids (Sega AM2)*
-Virtua Fighter Remix (Sega AM1)*
-Virtual-On (Sega AM3)
*Ran on Saturn hardware in arcades, so I'm not sure if I'd call them "ports."

Anything I missed?

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Head On (1979)
Monaco GP (1979)
Samurai (1980)
Pengo (1982)
Up'n Down (1983)
Sinbad Mystery (1983)
Star Jacker (1983)
Flicky (1984)
Doki Doki Penguin Land (1985)
Ninja Princess (1985)
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R (1993)
Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R (1994)
Puzzle & Action: 2do Arukoto ha Sand-R (1995)
All Japan Pro Wrestling Featuring Virtua (1997)

Galdelico

Is the Saturn version of Wonder 3 Arcade Gears any good, guys? I've always wanted to play Roosters and Chariot, but... I don't know, watching the games on YT, it looks like the port isn't exactly pixel perfect.

piggychan

Is the Saturn version of Wonder 3 Arcade Gears any good, guys? I've always wanted to play Roosters and Chariot, but... I don't know, watching the games on YT, it looks like the port isn't exactly pixel perfect.

As an ex-owner of the game I thought it was very good port at the time of it's release.

Galdelico

That's great, thank you. I guess the subtle differences I spotted during the intro and the first few minutes of Roosters made me unnecessarily worried. :D

piggychan

I don't know if it is perfect as back in those days there was nothing to compare. I just felt a little disappointed with it as it seemed slightly bare bones release but it seemed to play just like the arcade.

wow I just checked those prices for it... X_X

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow, SFZ3's prices really are out of control.

I played a bit of Vampire Savior a few days ago. I keep forgetting how fucking awesome that game is. It's easily my favorite fighter on the Saturn. So stylish, cool characters, great music... shame the series is dead, but there's basically no way they can top that.

Galdelico

I don't know if it is perfect as back in those days there was nothing to compare. I just felt a little disappointed with it as it seemed slightly bare bones release but it seemed to play just like the arcade.

wow I just checked those prices for it... X_X
That's the point. I just got a Wonder 3 + Dracula X (Saturn version too) mini bundle - both in mint conditions and complete with their spine and registration cards - offered for 250 euros. I'm seriously tempted to grab them both.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
You know what's a cool, overlooked game? Legend of Oasis. A lot of people dismissed it as Zelda-lite, but the game's really it's own thing. It's challenging, really satisfying, and is basically the kind of game I wish there was more of on the Saturn: something substantial that can just suck you in for hours at a time.

Of course, I'm knee-deep in The Witcher 3, so I kinda want to hold off on playing too much of it yet, but yeah. It's cool.

Head On (1979)
Monaco GP (1979)
Samurai (1980)
Pengo (1982)
Up'n Down (1983)
Sinbad Mystery (1983)
Star Jacker (1983)
Flicky (1984)
Doki Doki Penguin Land (1985)
Ninja Princess (1985)
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R (1993)
Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R (1994)
Puzzle & Action: 2do Arukoto ha Sand-R (1995)

All Japan Pro Wrestling Featuring Virtua (1997)

I dig this series, and they are super import-friendly. The first two are Sega Ages releases with some quiz games Sega did as well. Sand-R is an actual standalone arcade port.

piggychan

Beyond/Legend of Oasis are amazing games and I wish more people would acknowledge that.

AKA story of Thor 2 in other parts of the world.

it is a decent action RPG/Adventure game with lots of tricky challenges to solve. I just wish the music wasn't so sparse.

I actually got quite far in the game but after taking a break I couldn't remember how far I progressed in the game or where to go.

Still need to beat it.

pYpJ4N.gif

L9OKQA.gif

Khaz

I actually got quite far in the game but after taking a break I couldn't remember how far I progressed in the game or where to go.

Still need to beat it.

Same. I believe I got to the last dungeon, then sort of gave up as it was very large and couldn't understand what I was doing / where to go. I need to start again some day.

Teknoman

Legend of Oasis just annoys me as its music potential (Yuzo + Saturn) was just wasted. I know he likes to be experiemental...but...c'mon.

piggychan

Quick question, Saturn-GAF. Is Princess Crown playable or the language barrier is going to be an issue there?

It really should have gotten a western release, There's no need to hire any voice actors and the text is no where near the amount of a game like Dragon Force.

You might need a guide for basic stuff like any ingredients you pick up you will have to bring it to town and have it cooked or turned into a cake for HP replen and things like Gems need to be charged up to unleash elemental spells at a Witch shop iirc.

0RNvQG.gif

Top Bottom