• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Outrun is here.
rejoice.png
the GOAT

Galdelico

It really should have gotten a western release, There's no need to hire any voice actors and the text is no where near the amount of a game like Dragon Force.

You might need a guide for basic stuff like any ingredients you pick up you will have to bring it to town and have it cooked or turned into a cake for HP replen and things like Gems need to be charged up to unleash elemental spells at a Witch shop iirc.

0RNvQG.gif
That's what I meant, thank you.
Seems like it's gonna go down the wishlist, for now. Too many other games more import friendly to give priority to.

Khaz

I believe I'm reasonably competent at Sega Rally and Daytona USA both with a control pad or in Arcade, but just I can't get the hang off the Arcade Racer Joystick. Every once in a while I give it another go, but I can't drive straight and once I start hitting walls I feel like I'm in a pinball simulation. Is it just me?

Sapiens

Oh yeah man. Went to a Dave n Busters last year and it had 8 Daytona machines connected.

Too bad the Saturn port ain't too hot. :/

I know the Saturn port is shit, but I have a soft spot for it knowing that AM2 did everything they could with a machine they just got their hands on.

So I want to record some footage off my Saturn (and some of my older systems) and I bought an Elgato game capture HD because it has the Component input and thought I could use that with my Saturn's SCART to Y-U-V converter. However after hooking it up, it doesn't seem to work and all I get is a black screen, anyone ever have an issue with that?

Timu

So I want to record some footage off my Saturn (and some of my older systems) and I bought an Elgato game capture HD because it has the Component input and thought I could use that with my Saturn's SCART to Y-U-V converter. However after hooking it up, it doesn't seem to work and all I get is a black screen, anyone ever have an issue with that?
Elgato can't accept 240p over component, only Startech/Micomsoft cards accept 240p through component from what I know. I have one as well.

Teknoman

Elgato can't accept 240p over component, only Startech/Micomsoft cards accept 240p through component from what I know. I have one as well.

Yup. Same issue I had. Grabbed a Startech USB capture 3.0 due to advice from Timu and the rest of retro-gaf. works perfectly.

Galdelico

Disagree about gameplay-wise. I gave up on it 'cause I was lost and didn't know what to do at some point... :(
Thank you too. ;)
In the end I skipped Princess Crown, but ended up with a decent Saturn-haul nonetheless. Filled a few minor holes in my collection, got a couple of kusoge which I still wanted to try out myself, and finally came across some games that I was looking for since a long time. I'll post pics, once I get them next week!

Khaz

I'd still get Princess crown, the box art is lovely. And the translation patch is imminent!
in a couple of years

Celine

I thought the main problem was that it was rushed for launch rather than hardware limitations?
Daytona USA CE which was released in late 1996 had better performance/graphics but it's not close to the arcade.
The problem is that it's too demanding for a Saturn (big courses, many cars at the same time on the track).

Whoops. I completely misread what he was saying haha.

We did get a great Sega Rally port so I can't be too salty.
Yeah that port alone was proof it could be done with a little more time on their hands. I wonder if AM2 and the arcade engineers ever got a say in the Saturn specs, I'm kind of guessing they weren't really asked much and had to work serious wonders to downport their games heavily.

KC-Slater

Yeah I was thinking maybe that one too. Even in just the US?

I figure just based on logistics it would've had to gross more--you rarely ever see just a single Daytona set-up (always at least a pair of units for head-to-head) and it had always cost about $1 to play (at least in Canada) since it's release, versus Outrun's $0.25. (Granted this is almost entirely anecdotal , but it seems sounds, ha.)

piggychan

Daytona USA CE which was released in late 1996 had better performance/graphics but it's not close to the arcade.
The problem is that it's too demanding for a Saturn (big courses, many cars at the same time on the track).

To be fair I can't recall many racing games on console in that era that had that many cars on the track...

W6yqgE.gif

Sega should have asked Travellers Tales and used their Sonic R engine and make an updated version of Daytona.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
To be fair I can't recall many racing games on console in that era that had like 40 cars on the track...

W6yqgE.gif

Sega should have asked Travellers Tales and used their Sonic R engine and make an updated version of Daytona.

Eh, it's not like the draw distance of Sonic R is any better. The game just uses a transparency effect to conceal popup as objects load in.

Gyrian

I can live with the technical limitations (and even the rushed conversion, to a point) for Daytona. I still rather like the Saturn original. I think my key wish is that they had handled it with the same amount of care they did Sega Rally.

Sapiens

To be fair I can't recall many racing games on console in that era that had that many cars on the track...

W6yqgE.gif

Is it wrong that I think Daytona saturn is an impressive piece of shit? It's just such a cool novelty. It actually plays pretty good too (CCE does not capture the gameplay at all).

Khaz

Is it wrong that I think Daytona saturn is an impressive piece of shit? It's just such a cool novelty. It actually plays pretty good too (CCE does not capture the gameplay at all).

I think about it the other way: a disappointing-looking awesome game.
Clipping and framerate are what they are, but the gameplay itself is flawless.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I just completed my (japanese) copy of Vampire Saviour for the first time with Morrigan, and what the hell is that ending with her and Lilith supposed to be lol. Is she really breastfeding her?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I just completed my (japanese) copy of Vampire Saviour for the first time with Morrigan, and what the hell is that ending with her and Lilith supposed to be lol. Is she really breastfeding her?

I think that was a hug, but your interpretation is getting me pretty hot.

GDEMU guy is opening up more PHOEBE preorders this weekend.

I have two PHOEBE-compatible Saturns, but I will wait for the VCD slot solution to reach the market.

Yup. Same issue I had. Grabbed a Startech USB capture 3.0 due to advice from Timu and the rest of retro-gaf. works perfectly.

Ah I see, well there goes that idea, hahaha. I'll still use the elgato for other stuff, but I'll keep that Startech USB capture in mind if I ever have the money for it.

Thanks for your help.

Galdelico

Got me pretty hot as well honestly.

Haha. Good ol' days CAPCOM, when they didn't give a damn about a bunch of prudes.

Even though I believe Morrigan is just holding Lilith before 'absorbing' her, that scene alone is probably more suggestive than all the stuff they removed from SFV combined. :D

piggychan

I think you can turn the text into english as well.

XDzq55.gif

But strangely I never really questioned that ending mostly because of the in-game antics like Demitri's Midnight Bliss which I just found bizarre and terrifying too.
xkE8Vq.gif

PNogMW.gif

Morfeo

Arent they like...the same person or something?

In a way, yeah.

Haha. Good ol' days CAPCOM, when they didn't give a damn about a bunch of prudes.

Even though I believe Morrigan is just holding Lilith before 'absorbing' her, that scene alone is probably more suggestive than all the stuff they removed from SFV combined. :D

Those were the days indeed :)

I think you can turn the text into english as well.

XDzq55.gif

How do I turn the text? Also quoting this just for the awesomeness of that gif.

piggychan

In a way, yeah.

How do I turn the text?

Complete the game without continuing, then go to the title screen, highlight option and hold down L + R then press Start You should enter a new option screen, which open some new options and let you change all the text to English

EDIT:

Other hidden stuff in Vampire Savior

Hold L and press all three Punch buttons while selecting Gallon / Jon Talbain to play as him in a 'Dark' version. In this version, he has some different moves, and different animations.

Hold L when selecting Phobos / Huitzil at the character select screen.

While playing, do not lose any rounds, do not continue, defeat two characters with an EX move finish, and use Manual Mode. After beating Jedah, Oboro Bishamon should come out to fight you, defeat him to unlock him.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/saturn/199177-vampire-savior-the-lord-of-vampire/cheats

Khaz

Complete the game without continuing, then go to the title screen, highlight option and hold down L + R then press Start You should enter a new option screen, which open some new options and let you change all the text to English

EDIT:

Hold L and press all three Punch buttons while selecting Gallon / Jon Talbain to play as him in a 'Dark' version. In this version, he has some different moves, and different animations.

While playing, do not lose any rounds, do not continue, defeat two characters with an EX move finish, and use Manual Mode. After beating Jedah, Oboro Bishamon should come out to fight you, defeat him to unlock him.

Does any of that save after being unlocked? Or do you have to unlock it every time you turn the console on?

piggychan

Does any of that save after being unlocked? Or do you have to unlock it every time you turn the console on?

Sadly I can't remember.

A lot of my saturn hardware has stopped working over the years so the games have just been sitting in a box unplayed for ages.

Hopefully someone will shed some light to this.

Galdelico

Iirc, that option also swaps the blood color to white.

Morfeo

EDIT:

Nice, looking forward to check this out later!

I've had a copy of VS for a few years now on JP saturn and was always miffed there was no english option! What a weird Easter egg. Would've preferred it in the options menu tbh

JLynn

I've had a copy of VS for a few years now on JP saturn and was always miffed there was no english option! What a weird Easter egg. Would've preferred it in the options menu tbh

I truly believe Capcom knew how many people from the West would import it after the writing was on the wall about the Saturn's fate in the West (Thanks Bernie!).

Mzo

Awesome coincidence took place this week as I'm unloading some Vita LEs I don't care about. Traded in some dupes and a couple of them locally for this:

Totally worth it. All the stickers and everything, Umi disc. Started playing it and it's a lot of fun. Didn't think I'd ever be able to justify the price at this point. I think now Shining the Holy Ark is the last of the expensive Saturn games I still want.

Top Bottom