• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

koopas

This game was the perfect rental - I wonder if it still holds up.
I'm playing through Magical Hoppers right now. I think it does hold up, I will mention that it certainly feels like a different game than pandemonium (even though it essentially isn't).

JLynn

Ho Lee Fuk..Was not aware that this game shot up in price like that. I got it on the cheap a year or two ago.

Saturn games are the new gold. We better start locking our games away in vaults, boyos!

To think I paid $40 for Zero 3 in 2006, and $70 for it two years later. This is why I stopped actively buying Saturn games (Although there's this one non super rare game I don't mind buying for the right price).

koopas

On the topic of platformers I'd like to pose a question - I've heard the Clockwork Knight Special Edition (the japan exclusive later dual disc release) has changes made to the first game specifically using the second games engine for the fist. Does anyone have any background on the changes if any to this release?

Galdelico

^ Good question, I'd be curious to know more about it too.

And, in the meantime...

Albert_zpscdzn7jb2.jpg

Truly fantastic conditions, game comes with its Working Design flyer and regcard attached to the manual. Can't wait to give it a try later.

Timu

And, in the meantime...

Albert_zpscdzn7jb2.jpg

Truly fantastic conditions, game comes with its Working Design flyer and regcard attached to the manual. Can't wait to give it a try later.
Duke Nukem 3D is getting pricey now!!!

Galdelico

any particular reason? maybe the DF Retro video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OQDj0YbAQ
It's odd... Seems like these games tend to get overpriced in the US, rather than in Europe. I paid less than 25 euros for my copy of Duke, a week or so ago, and it's in way better conditions than any other 'complete' set I could grab on ebay in the US at the same time, priced much higher than that as well. Even Albery Odyssey, in the end was around 120, which isn't outrageous.
I really hope to be this lucky also with the other few US games I'm still looking for.

koopas

And, in the meantime...

Albert_zpscdzn7jb2.jpg

BOOM. Thats the sound of a heavy hitter lol. Nice pick up!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well its complete for $270 heh.
Sounds like you grabbed it for an excellent price, man.
O_O

SMH...

It's a shame I can't even look at US ebayers anymore, since everyone is using that Global Shipping Program, now, which adds ridiculous extra customs fees to pay upfront (more than $100 for Rayearth), on top of the price of the games and the actual shipping costs. Insane.
Ohhhhh

Is that what it is? I peeked at eBay recently (hadn't done so in years) to check for PS+ 1-year subscription cards to buy at hopefully a discount and I saw shit like $40+ for shipping and I was like Waaaaaaat? How? I guess that must be it, then? They were US vendors. Like this crap... Let's just say I gave up on the idea real quick haha.

Galdelico

BOOM. Thats the sound of a heavy hitter lol. Nice pick up!
Thanks. ;)
Not as heavy as MKR, but I'm still really happy I could grab them both without having to deal with import-related hassles.

O_O

SMH...
Haha. I guess you weren't around when that Taromaru picture popped up kinda randomly, a few days ago. :D

Ohhhhh

Is that what it is? I peeked at eBay recently (hadn't done so in years) to check for PS+ 1-year subscription cards to buy at hopefully a discount and I saw shit like $40+ for shipping and I was like Waaaaaaat? How? I guess that must be it, then? They were US vendors. Like this crap... Let's just say I gave up on the idea real quick haha.
That honestly looks like your 'regular' shipping, lol. Maybe it's just automatically calculated, according to some courier's rates? Or a simple mistake, because I thought that kind of stuff doesn't even get shipped phisically, but sent via email.

No, you can see when the Global Shipping Program is used, because there is a little icon to tell you that, plus you have customs fees to pay in advance - which vary in proportion to the item's price - on top of the actual shipping costs.

Edit - Example: Let's say I buy it... I'd have to pay the game, the shipping costs to Italy ($31,50) AND the customs fees, estimated on those $490 (so, an extra $116). Considering how expensive is having stuff shipped with registered airmail from the US already (compared to, say, Japan), this Global Shipping bullshit pretty much killed my plans to import from there ever again (at least on ebay).

Teknoman

O_O

SMH...

Ohhhhh

Yeah, its no Snatcher for 40ish bucks or SCAT / Einhander for 3 bucks, but cant win em all /tacticalespionagebrag.

TeaJay

I can't really comment on the expensive side of Saturn collecting anymore since I took the CD-R route and haven't regretted it. Not that I've been a real hardcore collector anyway, but I just thought I would rather buy some different consoles and maybe flashcarts than spend the same amount on a couple of games.

Bar81

No, you can see when the Global Shipping Program is used, because there is a little icon to tell you that, plus you have customs fees to pay in advance - which vary in proportion to the item's price - on top of the actual shipping costs.

Edit - Example: Let's say I buy it... I'd have to pay the game, the shipping costs to Italy ($31,50) AND the customs fees, estimated on those $490 (so, an extra $116). Considering how expensive is having stuff shipped with registered airmail from the US already (compared to, say, Japan), this Global Shipping bullshit pretty much killed my plans to import from there ever again (at least on ebay).

Is the customs quote even accurate? They always guesstimate high when I've used them but that's not even the real problem - they strip away good packaging to minimize shipping costs so the shipping company they use can maximize profit and pretty much ensure your game gets destroyed during shipping as a nice bonus.

If you're going to buy from the US you need to set up through a proxy service which will allow you to save on all that, make sure your stuff doesn't get damaged and you can ship in a lot when you want - the service I'm using let's me keep stuff for up to 6 months at no charge and they make their money on the difference between headline shipping rates and their actual discounted cost.

Galdelico

Is the customs quote even accurate? They always guesstimate high when I've used them but that's not even the real problem - they strip away good packaging to minimize shipping costs so the shipping company they use can maximize profit and pretty much ensure your game gets destroyed during shipping as a nice bonus.
Sadly, I'm aware about it. Horror stories on that topic too. :/
I assume it's estimated according to each country's VAT rate, but I may be wrong on that.

If you're going to buy from the US you need to set up through a proxy service which will allow you to save on all that, make sure your stuff doesn't get damaged and you can ship in a lot when you want - the service I'm using let's me keep stuff for up to 6 months at no charge and they make their money on the difference between headline shipping rates and their actual discounted cost.
I don't want to take advantage of your time, but if you could redirect me to your service's website, or just tell me which company handles it, I'd massively appreciate it.

IrishNinja

no idea what shipping ya'll are on about, i know prices went up but don't the typical ebay stores (yamatoku, etc) still just ship/package well?

Well its complete for $270 heh. At any rate, it was the expensive NA titles aside from Burning Rangers, that I dont have. And it aint getting any cheaper lol. Accidentally since I just tossed in the last bid for the hell of it, didnt think I wouldnt get outbid.

sweet merciful crap, when did MKR jump up that much?! i really dug it but my sticker-less copy a couple years back at $115 or so really burned me, since i hate paying $100+ for a game...jesus fuck

Anyone play Linkle Liver Story? Its pretty cheap and I hear its import friendly if you don't care about the story.

i mean, if you have the MPEG card you can get the best cutscene visuals, and it's cheap! but i really cant imagine playing Lunar without the characters/etc being understood

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

And, in the meantime...

Albert_zpscdzn7jb2.jpg

Working Designs' Saturn games just look so... substantial. When I got Dragon Force a few weeks ago, I got the distinct feeling that whatever was inside was no fucking joke.

Anyway, I started playing Vampire Savior again last night. After playing nothing but SNES for a couple weeks, moving back to Saturn was kind of shocking in terms of how clean the picture quality is. Saturn just looks incredible.

I want to replay Elevator Action Returns this weekend and see if I can still 1CC it. I used to be a fucking champ at that game. Might replay MMX4, as well.

IrishNinja

right? it might be the reflective (chromium? haha) lettering, or just the cover art - but i remember thinking even fucking Vay looked serious

alf717

That's Japanese.

Yeah I know that for the actual save titles but what is the deal with the rest of the other stuff. Battery recently died so I transfered what I had on my Action Replay to the console when I got the new battery in.

I just decided to delete it all. AR says I have 349/510 but BIOS says 315 left. I need to look into rebuilding my AR I'm wondering if that is the cause.

Edit:

Now it is 303 in BIOS wonder if the chip is failing.

Teknoman

Is Astal worth a purchase? Presentation is great but the gameplay looks just okay.

Can you play the JP version? If so, it should be relatively affordable. Its got an amazing soundtrack and looks really good in action, but its a pretty average platformer. Fun to go through every so often.

Timu

Can you play the JP version? If so, it should be relatively affordable. Its got an amazing soundtrack and looks really good in action, but its a pretty average platformer. Fun to go through every so often.
It's like 40+ some bucks now for that version.

Galdelico

no idea what shipping ya'll are on about, i know prices went up but don't the typical ebay stores (yamatoku, etc) still just ship/package well?
That's why you should be sober when you read on GAF, dude. :D

No, seriously, we're talking about shipping from the US, there. Specifically, from those ebay sellers who use the Global Shipping Program to send their stuff overseas. It has nothing to do with Yamatoku and other Japanese ebayers. I buy from Japan alot, and shipping rates are totally fine, from there... My latest purchase from Yamatoku, for example, was massive, and I didn't even pay 20USD for the whole lot. Even Standard Airmail comes with a tracking number, and it takes 10 days at max, to come at my door.

Working Designs' Saturn games just look so... substantial. When I got Dragon Force a few weeks ago, I got the distinct feeling that whatever was inside was no fucking joke.
Must confess, that is the first WD game I've ever seen in person, and you're totally right about it. The embossed text on the cover, the full-color manual and disc label... Details, but it all gives you some proper 'premium' feel.

Yeah I know that for the actual save titles but what is the deal with the rest of the other stuff. Battery recently died so I transfered what I had on my Action Replay to the console when I got the new battery in.

I just decided to delete it all. AR says I have 349/510 but BIOS says 315 left. I need to look into rebuilding my AR I'm wondering if that is the cause.

Edit:

Now it is 303 in BIOS wonder if the chip is failing.
That doesn't look right... Did the AR give you any other signal, before starting to mess things around like that?

alf717

That doesn't look right... Did the AR give you any other signal, before starting to mess things around like that?

The AR shows no corruption but I do have an issue where if I transfer a save to the AR I get the usually box that says it is saving but it never goes away. I'll let it sit for 5 minutes and then reset the console. If I power it off the AR doesn't receive the save data. Been going on for years this issue. I just figure if I could find the right chips maybe I could add modern memory chips that are less prone to failure. Never lost any data though.

Ew. That's corruption. I see you had deleted it so good idea. Maybe check your battery?

Yea I'll have a look at it. Picked up a few Energizer CR2032 packs from Walmart the other day cause they were real cheap.

Have to order them online and can send them to your store for free shipping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer-2032BP-4-Energizer-Lithium-2032-4pk/37300766

Galdelico

The AR shows no corruption but I do have an issue where if I transfer a save to the AR I get the usually box that says it is saving but it never goes away. I'll let it sit for 5 minutes and then reset the console. If I power it off the AR doesn't receive the save data. Been going on for years this issue. I just figure if I could find the right chips maybe I could add modern memory chips that are less prone to failure. Never lost any data though.
Well, this thing alone is quite odd. Looks like you got a defective unit to begin with, which is starting to crap out real bad, now.

piggychan

I think I might have an issue:

From 22 to 65 it is all the same gibberish.

I don't know what to suggest here because I too had the same issue on my AR 4M plus. But around the same time I was deleting those random bits I was also deleting those pre installed AR codes and one of those actions destroyed all my save files... :/

Being playing around with 3D printing for a thread I'm putting together and found this beauty.

Took my system apart, hopefully the last time I have to touch that cartridge slot, and put the tray in. The card reader looks much better now that the empty space is covered up.

WaAImiD.jpg

kjacobson

Neo Member
Being playing around with 3D printing for a thread I'm putting together and found this beauty.

Took my system apart, hopefully the last time I have to touch that cartridge slot, and put the tray in. The card reader looks much better now that the empty space is covered up.

WaAImiD.jpg

That's awesome! I ordered a Phoebe, unfortunately I didn't learn about Pseudo Saturn Kai until after pulling the trigger, but I might just put my cartridge in a second console and use Phoebe for mine.

One thing I did recently, was look at the most effective way to get wireless controllers hooked up to my Saturn and came across this: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=31495

Saturn purists will probably hate it but I think it works exactly how I need it to - not sure if this has been shared in here before but I came across this on my own through digging. I did end up buying an IR official Japanese controller off eBay, but it didn't include the receiver and was like $80.. guess I have it for my collection though / can put it on display but stinks. A lot of information isn't readily available unless you already know where to look or from experience it seems as I'm newish to the Saturn scene.

Top Bottom