• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

JLynn

One thing I did recently, was look at the most effective way to get wireless controllers hooked up to my Saturn and came across this: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=31495

Saturn purists will probably hate it but I think it works exactly how I need it to - not sure if this has been shared in here before but I came across this on my own through digging. I did end up buying an IR official Japanese controller off eBay, but it didn't include the receiver and was like $80.. guess I have it for my collection though / can put it on display but stinks. A lot of information isn't readily available unless you already know where to look or from experience it seems as I'm newish to the Saturn scene.

I sent a message on the 8bitdo (The guys who made the awesome Bluetooth NES retro receiver and replica Bluetooth controllers) website for bluetooth 6 button Genesis, and Japanese style Saturn controllers, and retro receivers for both systems. They said they will look into it. Sales@8bitdo.com is their email! Please request respectfully and responsibly.

D.Lo

I sent a message on the 8bitdo (The guys who made the awesome Bluetooth NES retro receiver and replica Bluetooth controllers) website for bluetooth 6 button Genesis, and Japanese style Saturn controllers, and retro receivers for both systems. They said they will look into it. Sales@8bitdo.com is their email! Please request respectfully and responsibly.
I've done the exact same thing for Saturn lol. I'll use the Saturn pad on many consoles, all their controllers are inter compatible so what we really need are receivers for all consoles and a Saturn pad and I'll have one 2D pad to rule them all.

I already have the official wireless (via RF) 6 button controller for Mega Drive and it's very very good, closer to Saturn in size and feel than the cheaply made dinky normal 6 button MD controllers, so a wireless normal 6 button pad for MD would be a downgrade in feel for me.

Voliko

Saw Enemy Zero for 50$, any thoughts on the game?
Post is from a week ago but... It's certainly a novelty especially with the invisible enemies, sound cues, and good graphics for Saturn. I can't say much as I only played it for maybe 30 minutes but the game seems to be split up into 3D sections and then pre-rendered/FMV sections when investigating certain rooms. The FMV transitions during these pre-rendered parts are ridiculously slow which is why I stopped playing it. I kind of want to try it out again cause it came with my Saturn when I first got it.

aaaand I can't believe how expensive it is now, geez...

I just watched a Sonic Mania video, the Digital Foundry one, and I thought about that they mentioned it's almost like 32-bit Sonic we never got. I'm sure we would have loved a game like that to death in retrospect had it arrived on the Saturn, but would we have, especially journalists at the time, slammed the game and reviewed it badly simply because we were all sucked up into "everything must be 3D like the arcades" hype back then?

D.Lo

I don't think so?

The Saturn might have been criticised as not having been able to handle a Mario 64 type thing, but well done 2D games (eg Castlevania Symphony/Nocturne, Street Fighter Zero 2 and 3) were still very well received back then.

Celine

I think it'd be criticized for not being a 3D jump like Super Mario 64 was.

Definitely would have have sold well though.
Depend when it would have been released.
Some early 2D games sold very well in US on PS1 like Rayman and Mortal Kombat Trilogy.
But yeah the main problem would have been Saturn mediocre sales in US.

The ideal for a "mainline" Sonic game on Saturn (ideal for pushing the system) would have been an engine like Pandemonium, polygonal environments with sprite objects but still fundamentally 2D in gameplay and to be released for Christmas '95.

MikeMyers

Well I mean, hasn't every mainline Sonic game sold well, even the ones that get critically panned?

Not saying it would have saved the system, but I could a hypothetical Sonic 4 on Saturn being one of the better selling titles on the system.

Galdelico

Well I mean, hasn't every mainline Sonic game sold well, even the ones that get critically panned?

Not saying it would have saved the system, but I could a hypothetical Sonic 4 on Saturn being one of the better selling titles on the system.
Not that it could've ever happened, back in those days, but I always dreamed to see a Saturn Sonic coming out of a collaboration between Sonic Team and Treasure/ESP.

gelf

I think it would have certainly got slammed from some quarters. Some magazines at the time where pretty harsh on games sticking to 2D. And it would have been a bad look next to fully 3D Mario. Sonic Mania looks great but I suspect it would be seen as too close to the MD games at the time. I even saw criticism of the 2D Capcom fighters, but they got more leeway because of those big chunky sprites.

I guess they'd have to have released it as a launch or at least in 94/95 before Mario hit the platform scene!

But yeah I reckon it would have sold like hell.

IrishNinja

EAR has to crash sometime. the Taito Collections port is really good, though i keep hearing even that disc might be going up a little bit?

That's why you should be sober when you read on GAF, dude. :D

this is the worst advice ive ever heard!
sucks to hear about shipping from the US being butt, though

$200 privilege to bind grenade to a separate button, lol. Not even the F3 board can offer that!

also, 240p vs TL2's 480i
Yeah it's a really high price compared to the sacrifices.

I just went for the Taito collections, I believe it's on the second one. For PAL users the Taito collections can both be ran in 60Hz! And for CRT users you can move the picture a lot to make it fit if it's off-centered. Just some info if people are curious, EAR is a fun game but not the Saturns version price fun.

kjacobson

Neo Member

I did just write them a nice email thanking them for their work and the market for a Saturn receiver/controller. Thank you!

Celine

"being one of the better selling titles on the system" in US when the system name is Saturn doesn't mean selling well :p

But seriously a good Sonic effort being released in timely fashion (let's say Holiday '95 or at the latest '96) would have been likely the best selling Saturn game in US.

piggychan

This is as close we gonna get to a 3D sonic game on the saturn. This is from Sonic Jam Even if they made a full game like this I doubt it would have rescued the saturn especially next to the new upstarts like Crash Bandicoot and Spryo which just seemed to be cooler.

M8vJJP.gif

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Got a great copy of Tryrush Deppy up on eBay, but it doesn't seem to be getting many nibbles. I don't use eBay much, so I can understand the reticence. Figure if anyone here is interested, check it out, or feel free to PM me if you want to try and make a deal outside of eBay.

koopas

Got a great copy of Tryrush Deppy up on eBay, but it doesn't seem to be getting many nibbles. I don't use eBay much, so I can understand the reticence. Figure if anyone here is interested, check it out, or feel free to PM me if you want to try and make a deal outside of eBay.
Looks crazy sun-faded or is that just the photos?

Teknoman

This is as close we gonna get to a 3D sonic game on the saturn. This is from Sonic Jam Even if they made a full game like this I doubt it would have rescued the saturn especially next to the new upstarts like Crash Bandicoot and Spryo which just seemed to be cooler.

M8vJJP.gif

lol I just happened to be listening to Rooftop Run modern Generations version when scrolling by that gif. Fit perfectly remarkably.

If you just upped the run speed abit, they probably could have made a nice 2.5D platformer. I dont think full 3D would've worked out that nicely then.

MikeMyers

"being one of the better selling titles on the system" in US when the system name is Saturn doesn't mean selling well :p

But seriously a good Sonic effort being released in timely fashion (let's say Holiday '95 or at the latest '96) would have been likely the best selling Saturn game in US.

Fair point. :p

Wonder how this hypothetical 2D Sonic 4 '95 game would have done in Japan, since the series isn't really as big of a deal in Japan but Saturn sold better there.

koopas

Nah, just the photos. The camera on my phone is kinda terrible.

edit: Oh shit! It sold!
I think it worked in your favour the only other listings up right now showed zero actual item photos and we're ugly stock photos. Seriously Japan, indicate if the spine/reg card is included of not!

I say this because I probably would have bought yours, $250 is the best complete price I've seen it go for at least the four months I've been following.

Then again you're in the U.S (I'm in Canada) and I prefer to avoid purchasing from the U.S because shipping and customs eat me alive with the global shipping program now in full swing.

It's interesting how shipping directly from Japan is cheaper these days (and is usually faster too believe it or not). Some of these Japanese sellers really go the extra mile with ensuring the item is well packed which is always a nice bonus. My experience anyways.

Speaking of which I received a few packages from Japan recently and will post my haul as promised shortly!

IrishNinja

M8vJJP.gif

it sounds silly in 2016, but i was watching this one closely in the day - a full game of this might've pushed a young irishninja towards a saturn at the time

$250, and that's a deal now? jesus, saturn scene...

koopas

Got a copy last year for $150 at a convention with spine card. Its such an adorable platformer though, but its getting crazy expensive. At least its not Super Tempo numbers yet.
Speaking of which, happened to pick this up quite recently:

Now obviously Saturn prices are what they are however I've put some time into this game and I might go out on a limb and call it my favourite platformer on the console. Again, is it worth the money? Debatable but I'll pony up for something i plan to really play. I'm extremely happy to add this to my collection.

What stands out is the controls (the floating mechanic) and the top notch level design. Playing on my PVM this game is just so full of colour and personality it's so great.

D.Lo

Now obviously Saturn prices are what they are however I've put some time into this game and I might go out on a limb and call it my favourite platformer on the console. Again, is it worth the money? Debatable but I'll pony up for something i plan to really play. I'm extremely happy to add this to my collection.

What stands out is the controls (the floating mechanic) and the top notch level design. Playing on my PVM this game is just so full of colour and personality it's so great.
Holy crap how have I never heard of this and why is it $500?

Then again you're in the U.S (I'm in Canada) and I prefer to avoid purchasing from the U.S because shipping and customs eat me alive with the global shipping program now in full swing!
Yeah GSP has basically ruled buying from the US out now for Australia too. Absolutely ridiculous and has cut down my purchases dramatically.

Galdelico

I'll copy-paste the same reply to your Taromaru post.

One day...

Congrats, man. You're ruling this thread, with your pick-ups. :)

koopas

Yeah GSP has basically ruled buying from the US out now for Australia too. Absolutely ridiculous and has cut down my purchases dramatically.
Tell me about it. Forces me to buy from Japan almost exclusively. Which I don't feel too bad about their economy being the way it is.

I'll copy-paste the same reply to your Taromaru post.

One day...

Congrats, man. You're ruling this thread, with your pick-ups. :)
Thank you! I justify it by telling myself that since I skipped out entirely on this generation and I don't buy any modern games I'm allowed. Although after those two in the past couple months, I'm going to take a break for awhile.

I have one or two more things on the way to show and then I will do a collection post if y'all are interested.

Galdelico

I'm so looking forward to it. ^_-

And yeah, as someone who pretty much gave up on new systems and games as well, I totally understand. I know I'm not doing the wisest thing, but since my retro wish list is still quite long, I tend to buy more stuff at the time, rather than investing all I can spend for one heavy hitter only.
I know I'll regret it, when in a couple of years I'll be ready to finally approach stuff like Taromaru, and it will cost 2/3x what is worth nowadays. :D

Finally got around to setting up pseudo Saturn kai. What an awesome thing this is. I played burning rangers for the first time, i love how it controls but man it feels like the environment is held together with string and paperclips. Everything is warping around and disappearing.

Still a good game.

koopas

I'm so looking forward to it. ^_-

And yeah, as someone who pretty much gave up on new systems and games as well, I totally understand. I know I'm not doing the wisest thing, but since my retro wish list is still quite long, I tend to buy more stuff at the time, rather than investing all I can spend for one heavy hitter only.
I know I'll regret it, when in a couple of years I'll be ready to finally approach stuff like Taromaru, and it will cost 2/3x what is worth nowadays. :D
Quality over quantity I guess right?

So, I did manage to grab a few new pickups which arrived recently. I will post up here in sort of piecemeal because each deserves its own write up. Have about three more titles on the way. Anways here's Dark Hunter Parts 1 and 2.

Y34ssD8.jpg

For anyone unfamiliar, Dark Hunter is a point and click / FMV style mystery game for native Japanese speakers sold as a educational English development tool. So with that said the entire series is voice acted in full English with the option to turn on Japanese or even English subtitles. The story is not excellent, but compelling enough to see it through its two parts. I might even classify it as a Visual Novel because the gameplay is really light and can go on for quite some time without you touching the controller really.

The series is of special significance to me because almost the entire english VA cast from Symphony of the Night returns here in this series. I have a particular fondness for that game which is the main reason these games were in my radar.

The copies shown above are sealed and were purchased in this condition. I've since opened them and man it's a treat for me since it's actually the first Saturn games I've ever bought new. Overall pleased with this purchase and if you are in the market for this series expect to pay marginally more for the second part in the series.

Galdelico

Quality over quantity I guess right?
Well, it's all pretty much quality, at this point. At different grades and prices, of course, but I don't aim to buy cheap and unsignificant titles just to bloat my collection.
What I meant is, I still try to get more games I have in my wishlist, in small bundles, rather than single top-tier grails. I'll probably leave them to the end, to go out with a bang. :D

And thumbs up for Dark Hunter. I got Volume 2 thinking it was 1 - stupid me - and I'm still looking for the first chapter, in order to play them in sequence.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I seriously doubt the price will come down.

I'll hang onto my Saturn copy, but y'all better believe I'll buy the PS4 one to go with it. It sounds like there's gonna be new modes, so why not? I just hope it gets a physical disc. I need some actual substance.

Coda

I seriously doubt the price will come down.

I'll hang onto my Saturn copy, but y'all better believe I'll buy the PS4 one to go with it. It sounds like there's gonna be new modes, so why not? I just hope it gets a physical disc. I need some actual substance.

Yeah it's like when Radiant Silvergun came out on XBLA, it didn't really affect it's physical much.

televator

Went to the 2nd largest retro chain in my state... Saw a decent pile of Saturn games. That's not something I see commonly so I went straight to it and shoved my hands into it. Pulled my hand out and looked down to see me holding this...

b8F3JE9m.jpg

My eyes nearly fell out of my head and it was pristine. Manual is perfect and case is mint. The price seemed lower than ebay too.

Here's a bonus completion I recently had:
Ti9ISJnm.jpg

I had a copy that was missing a manual. I saw a manual come up on ebay and now that orphaned PD manual has a new cozy home in my copy of PD. :)

MikeMyers

Sweet!

I've thought about owning Sonic Jam but it might seem redundant since I own the games on multiple systems.

Then again, 1 more system can't hurt, right?

koopas

Wow nice. I almost never see Saturn games in the wild in my area. At dedicated Retro stores I may see one or two and even then it's certainly nothing worth picking up ...

The small fixes in the Sonic 16-bit trilogy are quite cool in Sonic Jam too. Especially the no timer option in all of them, plus the Japanese version of Sonic 1 (moving clouds man!) with the spindash included makes it a cool way to play Sonic 1 imo.

Went to the 2nd largest retro chain in my state... Saw a decent pile of Saturn games. That's not something I see commonly so I went straight to it and shoved my hands into it. Pulled my hand out and looked down to see me holding this...

b8F3JE9m.jpg

My eyes nearly fell out of my head and it was pristine. Manual is perfect and case is mint. The price seemed lower than ebay too.

Here's a bonus completion I recently had:
Ti9ISJnm.jpg

I had a copy that was missing a manual. I saw a manual come up on ebay and now that orphaned PD manual has a new cozy home in my copy of PD. :)
oneida's special edition cover still the GOAT tho

Top Bottom