• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'd like to record some Fighters Megamix stuff which will be easiest if I have an arcade stick (sorry Saturn pad...) so I'd like to emulate the game. I have a disc copy, if I download an emulator can I run the iso or something? I don't really emulate stuff. Help!

Present #4

http://youtu.be/7PCKDFqQN8k

Millennium Fire is a cancelled Sega Saturn light gun shooter that was being developed by Bandai. In this video, Producer Fuyuki Nishizawa reveals detail's about the game and its rather unconventional control scheme.

Look forward to checking this out, thanks!

IrishNinja

looking back...i wish i'dve jumped on more sega ages stuff (especially power drift) before the rise, but by the time i finally got into the saturn scene, the SHMUPs i would've liked (radiant, garegga, batsugunn etc) were already higher than i wanted to pay, so watching them climb doesn't do much in that regard. i don't feel bad about Mega Man 8 cause i slept on that forever, bomberman got away but i still got a disc copy of Burning Heroes on the cheap.

honestly even if id've had some of that stuff, i might have traded a few things for what Elevator Action Returns now commands, cause i love the shit out of that game. and i'm glad i went after further Taito stuff like Chase HQ as well, no idea if that's a bad one or not now, price-wise but it's so much fun.

Present #4

http://youtu.be/7PCKDFqQN8k

Millennium Fire is a cancelled Sega Saturn light gun shooter that was being developed by Bandai. In this video, Producer Fuyuki Nishizawa reveals detail's about the game and its rather unconventional control scheme.

this is really cool, there's still some shooters on the system ive yet to try but i'dve definitely been down for this!

D.Lo

looking back...i wish i'dve jumped on more sega ages stuff (especially power drift) before the rise, but by the time i finally got into the saturn scene, the SHMUPs i would've liked (radiant, garegga, batsugunn etc) were already higher than i wanted to pay, so watching them climb doesn't do much in that regard.
Radiant Silvergun was hundreds of dollars in the early 2000s. I think it's actually gone down in price.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah same. Wasn't even old enough to work 15 years ago.

I pretty much have everything I wanted but I wish I could get Magic Knight Rayearth.

I once had 11 copies of this game. One of the first video games I made serious money on (that and Earthbound)

I understand that Rayearth was both the last localized Saturn game and a pretty good game overall. But, I don't get the price it commands. It doesn't require that much reading. Why not just buy the Japanese version for under $20? Is it because people want a Working Designs localization? Or do people just want it because it's rare and expensive? I'll never get the fuss over overpriced games that have perfectly cheap import versions unless they're an RPG that requires tons of reading.

I understand that Rayearth was both the last localized Saturn game and a pretty good game overall. But, I don't get the price it commands. It doesn't require that much reading. Why not just buy the Japanese version for under $20? Is it because people want a Working Designs localization? Or do people just want it because it's rare and expensive? I'll never get the fuss over overpriced games that have perfectly cheap import versions unless they're an RPG that requires tons of reading.
The Saturn is largely a collector's console, gotta get 'em all.

D.Lo

The Saturn is largely a collector's console, gotta get 'em all.
IMO no, it's not collecting frenzy, there are legitimate reasons why it is in demand.

It was a popular hardcore console in Japan. Like the PC Engine. So while the competitors got all the big fancy new idea games, it had lots of 'old school' arcade genres, like fighting and shooters.

And so is more valuable today than it was in the market of its time. Nobody is going to play Tomb Raider 1 or Twisted Metal or Driver now (except for nostalgia) they were pretty cool back then but is jank as hell now and the same thing has been done way better dozens of times now. But DoDonpachi And Street Fighter Zero 2/3 etc remain among the best games of their genres even today. Add to this they were niche consoles, and there are less copies of great, still perfectly playable games out there and lots of interest in playing those games in their original form/environment.

IMO no, it's not collecting frenzy, there are legitimate reasons why it is in demand.

It was a popular hardcore console in Japan. Like the PC Engine. So while the competitors got all the big fancy new idea games, it had lots of 'old school' arcade genres, like fighting and shooters.

And so is more valuable today than it was in the market of its time. Nobody is going to play Tomb Raider 1 or Twisted Metal or Driver now (except for nostalgia) they were pretty cool back then but is jank as hell now and the same thing has been done way better dozens of times now. But DoDonpachi And Street Fighter Zero 2/3 etc remain among the best games of their genres even today. Add to this they were niche consoles, and there are less copies of great, still perfectly playable games out there and lots of interest in playing those games in their original form/environment.
This is also true but I was leaning more into why people wouldn't just get a cheaper JP version.

MikeMyers

I think one of the main reasons Saturn games are expensive is that a lot of them didn't get rereleased, while a lot of PS1 and N64 classics got rereleased on digital services.

I was under the impression MKR wasn't import friendly. In that case I'll import.

D.Lo

This is also true but I was leaning more into why people wouldn't just get a cheaper JP version.
Agree with that, I will never understand the fear of imports. US collectors and certain PAL markets pay insane prices for what are sometimes actually worse versions of games (censored, missing features etc), and like you mentioned sometimes the language barrier is very low or nonexistent.

IrishNinja

ya'll should send me your US cases.

and MKR is a chatty JRPG, even moreso with the tons of diary entries vic ireland had them put in. yeah, it's an action RPG and you can follow a guide from point A to B, skip NPC's and just read the gist of the plot and call it a day, but that largely sounds joyless when you've got a better option

which is to mod your system for CD-R's but you aint heard that from me

ya'll should send me your US cases.

and MKR is a chatty JRPG, even moreso with the tons of diary entries vic ireland had them put in. yeah, it's an action RPG and you can follow a guide from point A to B, skip NPC's and just read the gist of the plot and call it a day, but that largely sounds joyless when you've got a better option

which is to mod your system for CD-R's but you aint heard that from me

It's been a while since I've played it so I don't remember how many cutscenes or NPCs there are.

The GDEMU guy also has a Saturn option now if you're lucky enough to get one.

D.Lo

How nice to US cases look uniform on a shelf though?

Just be lucky we didnt get those horrendous PAL cases.
PAL cases are okay. The cardboard outside ones wear badly, but not worse than Japanese GameCube. They don't break like US cases. And some were DVD/Mege Drive style hard plastic with paper graphics slip.

Japan is the only winner in Saturn cases.

IrishNinja

Make room!

US Saturn cases are the sexiest out of all 5th gen consoles.

preach!

2QQkMZv.jpg

fuck "wasted space", stack shit if you gotta but those are dead sexy. look how intimidated those wimpy jewel cases look! like one day, they'll grow up & be proper cases~

Timu

preach!

fuck "wasted space", stack shit if you gotta but those are dead sexy. look how intimidated those wimpy jewel cases look! like one day, they'll grow up & be proper cases~
Fair enough, that looks cool, I never use shelves, and I can't put one in my room as well.

gelf

I'd like to record some Fighters Megamix stuff which will be easiest if I have an arcade stick (sorry Saturn pad...) so I'd like to emulate the game. I have a disc copy, if I download an emulator can I run the iso or something? I don't really emulate stuff. Help!

Last time I tried to emulate FM I was unsatisfied with the results no matter which emulator used unfortunately. That was about a year ago though. I forget which emulator did what but I remember issues with ugly interlacing and missing sound.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member

I'm planning to put together an in-depth video tutorial on Saturn emulation in either January or February, but I'll try to give you the crash course here:

What you'll definitely need:

- SSF 0.12 beta R3 (more recent versions are problematic)
- BIOS files (search for "SS - BIOS V1.01.bin")
- A virtual drive that can mount CUE files (Virtual CloneDrive cannot do this)

What you may need:

- Legacy DirectX files, specifically DirectX 9c.
- Visual C++ Redistributables 2005/08/10/12/13/15 x86 and x64
- NVIDIA Inspector (For AMD GPUs RadeonPro or RadeonMod maybe?)

Getting Started:

1. Unzip SSF into a folder somewhere on your hard drive.

2. Create a folder within this folder and label it "BIOS." Place whatever BIOS files you have within it.

3. Install your virtual drive. Do NOT mount any games yet.

4. If you're on a laptop, set SSF.exe and SSFa.exe to run using your GPU. Right click each program, mouse over "Run with graphics processor," and select "Change default graphics processor." Select your GPU. (Note: SSF doesn't take advantage of any sort of hardware acceleration, so it runs off integrated graphics just fine. But it can still offload some minor tasks on the GPU for a small performance gain.)

5. If you have a USB game controller that you'd like to use, ensure that it is plugged in and working BEFORE launching the emulator.

6. Determine whether your CPU supports AVX instructions. If it does, launch SSFa.exe. If not, launch SSF.exe.

Configuration:

If you've followed my instructions to this point, you've now launched SSF without mounting a game. In this state, you can configure the emulator so it applies the same settings to every game when initially launched. If a game is loaded, you will only be configuring settings for that particular game. Now click "Options" from the dropdown menu and select "Options." You're now within the "Peripheral" tab.

Peripheral Tab:

Saturn BIOS - Click the browse button and select "SS - BIOS V1.01.bin."

CD Drive - Select your virtual drive.

Cartridge - Select "none." Change this later when playing titles that utilize the 1M and 4M RAM expansions.

Area Code - I like to have this set to "Japan" by default since most of the system's library never got a worldwide release. You will need to change this later if you use a disc image from a different region. (Note: Whenever possible, I recommend you avoid using PAL disc images. The emulator can handle them just fine, but if the game wasn't PAL optimized, it will run slower.)

Screen Tab:

Scanline - Personal preference. I don't like the look of fake scanlines, so I usually keep this disabled.

Auto Field Skip - Combines frame limiting and frame skip. Limiting keeps the emulator from running too fast. Frame skip causes the emulator to drop frames in order to improve performance on weaker PCs. If you have a good CPU, you want to DISABLE this.

Enforce Aspect Ratio (Window/Fullscreen) - Attempts to squash the screen into a 4:3 aspect ratio, only it's not successful at doing so most of the time. You'll want to leave these options DISABLED most of the time. However, there are a few Sega-produced games that run at an internal resolution of 16:10 that EAR will correctly squish to a perfect 4:3. Sometimes 16:10 appears to be correct though, like in the case of Clockwork Knight and Clockwork Knight 2. You can tell because all objects in the game that are intended to be perfectly square or circular are indeed perfectly square or circular when running in 16:10. Other 16:10 games like Panzer Dragoon Zwei are intended to be squished. You can tell by enabling the 16:9 widescreen mode, and then comparing it to how the games looks when squished to 4:3. I could show this off with screenshots, but I don't feel like doing so right now, heh.

Wide Screen (16:9) - The vast majority of the time, you're going to want to keep it DISABLED. There are only a handful of games which have a proper widescreen mode option.

VSynch Wait (Window/Fullscreen) - Here's where things get tricky... Vsync matches the emulator's refresh rate to your monitor's. There are some positive and negative aspects to this. On the positive side, this prevents screen tearing and basically acts a frame limiter if you're not using Auto Field Skip. On the negative side, it introduces VERY noticeable input lag. Personally, I find input lag to be worse than screen tearing, so I prefer to leave this option DISABLED. Unfortunately, if you chose to disable Auto Field Skip like I recommended, this will cause the emulator to run at hyper speed. The emulator does have an option called "Scanline Base Timing," which is intended to limit game speed, closely mimicking how an actual Saturn would perform, but I've found this doesn't work correctly for a lot of games and results in a stuttering mess. Fortunately, if you have an NVIDIA GPU, you can use NVIDIA Inspector's frame rate limiter to cap the emulator's frame rate at 60fps, thereby solving the problem.

Fixed Window & Fullscreen Resolution - These options lock the emulator into one single resolution. Many Saturn games switch resolutions (usually between menus and the game proper). Enabling this feature will cause either squashing or stretching when resolution changes occurs. Best to keep it DISABLED.

Bilinear Filtering - The only other filter you get in this emulator aside from scanlines, bilinear filtering applies a soft blur over your games in an attempt to make them look closer to how they would on a CRT. It's up to you whether you enable or disable this feature. Personally, I like nice sharp pixels, so I leave it disabled.

Stretch Screen & Full Screen - Together, these option increase the horizontal and vertical dimensions of games to ensure they fill the entire top and bottom of the screen. This does not alter the aspect ratio, so I'd recommend that you ENABLE both of them.

Full Screen Display - Choose your GPU.

Sound Tab:

"Linear Filtering" and "Double Precision" enabled.

Controller Tab:

Under "Port 1" "Player 1 A," select the type of Saturn controller you'd like to mimic. Most of the options should be self explanatory except for perhaps "Control Pad," which is your standard digital-only Saturn controller, and "Multi Controller," which is the Japanese name for the 3D analog pad. Click the "Redefine" button to map your buttons. When you get to turbo inputs, just keep pressing escape. You can define turbo input later for individual games.

Controller (Rapid) Tab:

This is where you enable/disable turbo functions and adjust their timing. Since we're just doing baseline configuration right now, leave this alone.

EZ Setting Tab:

This tab automatically configures settings for the four "Program" tabs. Under "Full Compatibility (Very Slow)," click the "Set" button. (Note: Some games like Daytona USA: Circuit Edition and Spiritual Assassin Taromaru run better when this tab is set to "Highest Compatibility" instead. I think it has to do w/ whether SH2 Cache is enabled or not. "Highest" disables SH2 Cache.)

Program 1 Tab:

Thanks to "EZ Settings," most of the options in the "Program" tabs should now be automatically configured. You'll want to leave most of these options as they are, but you can still enable a few more.

Flip Thread / VDP1 Draw Thread / CD Block Thread / DSP Thread - Designed to take advantage of multithreading in many modern CPUs. You can try enabling them, but I've never noticed any appreciable gains. (Note: In the past, enabling VDP1 Draw Thread was NOT recommended. I don't know if this has changed, so I would still advise against it.)

Scanline Base Timing - I explained what this is supposed to do in the section about Vsync. Give it a shot if you like, but if you notice frames being dropped, keep it DISABLED.

Program 2 Tab:

Leave it as is.

Program 3 Tab:

Check Sprite Priority - Pretty sure this options verifies whether sprites are appearing on the correct layer. ENABLE it.

VDP2 RAM Write Timing - Some sources say that enabling this option can help reduce input lag, but I've never noticed a difference. Then again, I'm not as sensitive to input lag as some people are.

Program 4:

Mesh Translucent - Pixel dithering becomes a true transparency. Wonderful feature! ENABLE it.

Deinterlace (Very Slow) - Eliminates terrible-looking interlacing issues. ENABLE.

Loading Games:

1. Press the "OK" button to exit options.

2. Not necessary, but press Alt+Enter to go toggle into fullscreen mode. Next time you launch the emulator, it will start in fullscreen.

3. Press "Esc" to close the emulator.

4. Mount your disc image using the virtual drive you downloaded. Make sure you're mounting the file with the SMALLER file size (ie: CUE, MDS, CCD, etc).

5. Launch SSF.

6. If you have to adjust the region or enter in custom settings for the controller, enter the "Options" menu and do so. You must restart the emulator after making any settings changes. The changes you made will be linked to this game and this game only.

Helpful Shortcuts:

Alt+Enter - Toggles window/fullscreen
Esc - Exits the emulator
F1 - Opens virtual CD drive door
F2 - Closes virtual CD drive door
F4 - Hard reset
F6 - Toggles sound on/off
F7 - Load state
Shift+F7 - Save state
F8 - Screenshot

Hold A at Boot - CD Player
Hold L or R at Boot - Settings / Memory Mgr
Hold ABC+Start - Soft Reset (Most games)
Hold XYZ+Start - Soft Reset (Some games)

This was all thrown together in about an hour, so forgive me if there are any omissions. I do think I hit upon all the major stuff though.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm planning to put together an in-depth video tutorial on Saturn emulation in either January or February, but I'll try to give you the crash course here:

- SSF (0.12 beta R4 or R3)

What you may need:

Getting Started:

2. Create a folder within this folder and label it "BIOS." Place whatever BIOS files you have within it.

4. If you're on a laptop, set SSF.exe and SSFa.exe to run using your GPU. Right click each program, mouse over "Run with graphics processor," and select "Change default graphics processor." Select your GPU. (Note: SSF doesn't take advantage of any sort of hardware acceleration, so it runs off integrated graphics just fine. But it can still offload some minor tasks on the GPU for a small performance gain.)

5. If you have a USB game controller that you'd like to use, ensure that it is plugged in and working BEFORE launching the emulator.

6. If your CPU supports AVX, launch SSFa.exe. If not, launch SSF.exe.

Configuration:

If you've followed my instructions to this point, you've now launched SSF without mounting a game. In this state, you can configure the emulator so it applies the same settings to every game when initially launched. If a game is loaded, you will only be configuring settings for that particular game. Now click "Options" from the dropdown menu and select "Options." You're now within the "Peripheral" tab.

Peripheral Tab:

Cartridge - Select "none." Change this later when playing titles that utilize the 1M and 4M RAM expansions.

Area Code - I like to have this set to "Japan" by default since most of the system's library never got a worldwide release. You will need to change this later if you use a disc image from a different region. (Note: Whenever possible, I recommend you avoid using PAL disc images. The emulator can handle them just fine, but if the game wasn't PAL optimized, it will run slower.)

Screen Tab:

Scanline - Personal preference. I don't like the look of fake scanlines, so I usually keep this disabled.

Auto Field Skip - Combines frame limiting and frame skip. Limiting keeps the emulator from running too fast. Frame skip causes the emulator to drop frames in order to improve performance on weaker PCs. If you have a good CPU, you want to DISABLE this.

Enforce Aspect Ratio (Window/Fullscreen) - Attempts to squash the screen into a 4:3 aspect ratio, only it's not successful at doing so most of the time. You'll want to leave these options DISABLED most of the time. However, there are a few Sega-produced games that run at an internal resolution of 16:10 that EAR will correctly squish to a perfect 4:3. Sometimes 16:10 appears to be correct though, like in the case of Clockwork Knight and Clockwork Knight 2. You can tell because all objects in the game that are intended to be perfectly square or circular are indeed perfectly square or circular when running in 16:10. Other 16:10 games like Panzer Dragoon Zwei are intended to be squished. You can tell by enabling the 16:9 widescreen mode, and then comparing it to how the games looks when squished to 4:3. I could show this off with screenshots, but I don't feel like doing so right now, heh.

Wide Screen (16:9) - The vast majority of the time, you're going to want to keep it DISABLED. There are only a handful of games which have a proper widescreen mode option.

VSynch Wait (Window/Fullscreen) - Here's where things get tricky... Vsync matches the emulator's refresh rate to your monitor's. There are some positive and negative aspects to this. On the positive side, this prevents screen tearing and basically acts a frame limiter if you're not using Auto Field Skip. On the negative side, it introduces VERY noticeable input lag. Personally, I find input lag to be worse than screen tearing, so I prefer to leave this option DISABLED. Unfortunately, if you chose to disable Auto Field Skip like I recommended, this will cause the emulator to run at hyper speed. The emulator does have an option called "Scanline Base Timing," which is intended to limit game speed, closely mimicking how an actual Saturn would perform, but I've found this doesn't work correctly for a lot of games and results in a stuttering mess. Fortunately, if you have an NVIDIA GPU, you can use NVIDIA Inspector's frame rate limiter to cap the emulator's frame rate at 60fps, thereby solving the problem.

Fixed Window & Fullscreen Resolution - These options lock the emulator into one single resolution. Many Saturn games switch resolutions (usually between menus and the game proper). Enabling this feature will cause either squashing or stretching when resolution changes occurs. Best to keep it DISABLED.

Bilinear Filtering - The only other filter you get in this emulator aside from scanlines, bilinear filtering applies a soft blur over your games in an attempt to make them look closer to how they would on a CRT. It's up to you whether you enable or disable this feature. Personally, I like nice sharp pixels, so I leave it disabled.

Stretch Screen & Full Screen - Together, these option increase the horizontal and vertical dimensions of games to ensure they fill the entire top and bottom of the screen. This does not alter the aspect ratio, so I'd recommend that you ENABLE both of them.

Sound Tab:

Controller Tab:

Under "Port 1" "Player 1 A," select the type of Saturn controller you'd like to mimic. Most of the options should be self explanatory except for perhaps "Control Pad," which is your standard digital-only Saturn controller, and "Multi Controller," which is the Japanese name for the 3D analog pad. Click the "Redefine" button to map your buttons. When you get to turbo inputs, just keep pressing escape. You can define turbo input later for individual games.

Controller (Rapid) Tab:

This is where you enable/disable turbo functions and adjust their timing. Since we're just doing baseline configuration right now, leave this alone.

EZ Setting Tab:

This tab automatically configures settings for the four "Program" tabs. Under "Full Compatibility (Very Slow)," click the "Set" button. (Note: Some games like Daytona USA: Circuit Edition and Spiritual Assassin Taromaru run better when this tab is set to "Highest Compatibility" instead. I think it has to do w/ whether SH2 Cache is enabled or not. "Highest" disables SH2 Cache.)

Program 1 Tab:

Thanks to "EZ Settings," most of the options in the "Program" tabs should now be automatically configured. You'll want to leave most of these options as they are, but you can still enable a few more.

Flip Thread / VDP1 Draw Thread / CD Block Thread / DSP Thread - Designed to take advantage of multithreading in many modern CPUs. You can try enabling them, but I've never noticed any appreciable gains. (Note: In the past, enabling VDP1 Draw Thread was NOT recommended. I don't know if this has changed, so I would still advise against it.)

Scanline Base Timing - I explained what this is supposed to do in the section about Vsync. Give it a shot if you like, but if you notice frames being dropped, keep it DISABLED.

Program 2 Tab:

Leave it as is.

Program 3 Tab:

Check Sprite Priority - Pretty sure this options verifies whether sprites are appearing on the correct layer. ENABLE it.

VDP2 RAM Write Timing - Some sources say that enabling this option can help reduce input lag, but I've never noticed a difference. Then again, I'm not as sensitive to input lag as some people are.

Program 4:

Mesh Translucent - Pixel dithering becomes a true transparency. Wonderful feature! ENABLE it.

Deinterlace (Very Slow) - Eliminates terrible-looking interlacing issues. ENABLE.

Loading Games:

2. Not necessary, but press Alt+Enter to go toggle into fullscreen mode. Next time you launch the emulator, it will start in fullscreen.

4. Mount your disc image. Make sure you're mounting the file with the SMALLER file size (ie: CUE, MDS, CCD, etc).

5. Launch SSF.

6. If you have to adjust the region or enter in custom settings for the controller, enter the "Options" menu and do so. You must restart the emulator after making any settings changes. The changes you made will be linked to this game and this game only.

Helpful Shortcuts:

Esc - Exits the emulator
F2 - Cloes virtual CD drive door
F4 - Hard reset
F7 - Load state
Shift+F7 - Save state
F8 - Screenshot

This was all thrown together in about an hour, so forgive me if there are any omissions. I do think I hit upon all the major stuff though.
this is amazing thank you.

What's wrong with the Virtua Stick?

koopas

A little off topic but was going through my copy of Deep Fear and is it just me or is his head incredibly small?

HZ9mS36.jpg

I loled

Awakened

<Goddamn>
Mednafen is so much easier to setup. Seriously, dump your games to bin/cue with ImgBurn, grab latest 64bit release from here, unzip it somewhere, put sega_101.bin and mpr-17933.bin BIOS (from MESS/MAME set) in Firmware folder, drag and drop .cue file on to mednafen.exe and your game is running. Hotkeys are described here with Alt+Shift+1 being important since that's how you map Player 1 controls. You can use Ctrl+Shift+1 to switch between normal and 3D pads. If you want to change Saturn specific options, open mednafen-09x.cfg and look for everything that starts with "ss." Saturn config options are described in the documentation here. General options are here.

Emulation quality is really good; I've only noticed a game breaking bug on Magic Knight Rayearth. Anything else has been very minor graphics glitches. It is more CPU intensive than SSF; 3Ghz or higher CPUs recommended.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Hey, I like the original Tomb Raider! Agree with your general point though.

koopas

I was at a few pawn shops today and did not come across ANY Saturn stuff. Saw some Master System stuff even but not ONE Saturn game or peripheral.

The days of Saturn finds in the wild are completely over I think. Even dedicated Retro stores don't have any it's so tough.

[/Rant]

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Mednafen is so much easier to setup. Seriously, dump your games to bin/cue with ImgBurn, grab latest 64bit release from here, unzip it somewhere, put sega_101.bin and mpr-17933.bin BIOS (from MESS/MAME set) in Firmware folder, drag and drop .cue file on to mednafen.exe and your game is running. Hotkeys are described here with Alt+Shift+1 being important since that's how you map Player 1 controls. You can use Ctrl+Shift+1 to switch between normal and 3D pads. If you want to change Saturn specific options, open mednafen-09x.cfg and look for everything that starts with "ss." Saturn config options are described in the documentation here. General options are here.

Emulation quality is really good; I've only noticed a game breaking bug on Magic Knight Rayearth. Anything else has been very minor graphics glitches. It is more CPU intensive than SSF; 3Ghz or higher CPUs recommended.

I tried Mednafen when it first released with its experimental Saturn emulation. It's a good first attempt, but still doesn't come close to matching SSF's level of compatibility and accuracy. It's got less input lag and does sound emulation better with certain games, but that's really it. Plus it's locked into 320x240 resolution for every single game, which definitely isn't right.

Awakened

Plus it's locked into 320x240 resolution for every single game, which definitely isn't right.
I think Die Hard Arcade is the only 480 game I tried. I didn't really notice it, but maybe it was rendering at 240.

Anyways, it will certainly improve over time and probably eclipse SSF in accuracy if the PSX and PCE cores are anything to go by. Even with this early release, for the 16 games I play, I much prefer using it over SSF. Because using Daemon tools as an intermediary sucks and SSF's fullscreen mode is terrible.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
I think Die Hard Arcade is the only 480 game I tried. I didn't really notice it, but maybe it was rendering at 240.

Anyways, it will certainly improve over time and probably eclipse SSF in accuracy if the PSX and PCE cores are anything to go by. Even with this early release, for the 16 games I play, I much prefer using it over SSF. Because using Daemon tools as an intermediary sucks and SSF's fullscreen mode is terrible.

240 and 480 still amount to 4:3, so it's not a big deal. What matters more are some of the other resolutions that aren't 4:3.

poxWwfN.png

352x224 (16:10) in SSF

KFItuPc.png

320x240 (4:3) in Mednafen

Edit: Just noticed that you're the same guy I had this conversation with before, lol.

Awakened

240 and 480 still amount to 4:3, so it's not a big deal. What matters more are some of the other resolutions that aren't 4:3.

poxWwfN.png

352x224 (16:10) in SSF

KFItuPc.png

320x240 (4:3) in Mednafen

Edit: Just noticed that you're the same guy I had this conversation with before, lol.
Haha, I didn't realize either. Well, I might have said this before, but if you run the Mednafen-Saturn libretro core through RetroArch you can set any aspect ratio you want in decimal form in the config file. And you can set it for each game individually for games that use different resolutions with per game overrides. Looking at the aspect options for stand alone Mednafen, it doesn't look like you can get that kind of AR control there. All that extra configuration makes things more complicated of course, but at least after initial setup you can launch directly into games with simple Steam shortcuts, unlike SSF.

The libretro core is still missing analog support and the bottom scanline cropping option isn't working yet though. I bug the devs about it every once in awhile because I want feature parity with stand alone :}

MikeMyers

Gotta make a tribute video for it for its 20 year anniversary on the 21st.

- SSF (0.12 beta R4 or R3)

What you may need:

Getting Started:

6. If your CPU supports AVX, launch SSFa.exe. If not, launch SSF.exe.

Configuration:

Peripheral Tab:

Screen Tab:

Sound Tab:

Controller Tab:

Controller (Rapid) Tab:

EZ Setting Tab:

Program 1 Tab:

Program 2 Tab:

Leave it as is.

Program 3 Tab:

Program 4:

Loading Games:

4. Mount your disc image. Make sure you're mounting the file with the SMALLER file size (ie: CUE, MDS, CCD, etc).

5. Launch SSF.

Helpful Shortcuts:

Esc - Exits the emulator
F2 - Cloes virtual CD drive door
F4 - Hard reset
F7 - Load state
Shift+F7 - Save state
F8 - Screenshot

Thanks so much for this! It will solve issues I have with SSF, I've gotten so confused by it through the years!

Top Bottom