• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

I dont think it really matters anyway. Anyone in the west who wants to buy for Saturn is most likely already a hardcore gamer and would be already knowledgeable.

ehh you'd think, but there's always people coming in here/elsewhere asking what the best place to start is with the scene!

it's very clearly the triple pack, then modding your system

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
ehh you'd think, but there's always people coming in here/elsewhere asking what the best place to start is with the scene!

it's very clearly the triple pack, then modding your system

Eh, I don't think it's as clear-cut as that. Virtua Cop is only fun when you own a CRT and a gun, so that's a barrier for most people. And the Saturn port of Daytona isn't exactly a great choice for first impressions.

MikeMyers

I enjoy Virtua Cop (as well as House of the Dead) just fine without the gun.

Best way to go about it is get the AR or just get a Japanese Saturn. So many great games are still cheap in Japan.

IrishNinja

Eh, I don't think it's as clear-cut as that. Virtua Cop is only fun when you own a CRT and a gun, so that's a barrier for most people. And the Saturn port of Daytona isn't exactly a great choice for first impressions.

eh, i think it goes over better than my personal first impression with a kiosk of VF 1 in the day, haha
still, though: for the little $ it costs, what would you recommend instead?

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
eh, i think it goes over better than my personal first impression with a kiosk of VF 1 in the day, haha
still, though: for the little $ it costs, what would you recommend instead?

What Mike said about getting a Japanese Saturn is usually the route I send people down. Collecting Japanese games isn't as cheap as it used to be, but it's still a lot less expensive than collecting American and European games. As for inexpensive games, the Japanese versions of most of the usual Sega stuff is still pretty affordable (BR, PD, PDZ, NiGHTS, etc). Games like Layer Section, Steamgear Mash, and Willy Wombat are all fun and go for pretty low prices too.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
MJR- i saw ten seconds of VF2 footage where shun jumped over lau TWICE and stopped the video, did i miss anything good

people complain about the series being difficult but i honestly don't know what they expect to happen when they play like this

MikeMyers

What Mike said about getting a Japanese Saturn is usually the route I send people down. Collecting Japanese games isn't as cheap as it used to be, but it's still a lot less expensive than collecting American and European games. As for inexpensive games, the Japanese versions of most of the usual Sega stuff is still pretty affordable (BR, PD, PDZ, NiGHTS, etc). Games like Layer Section, Steamgear Mash, and Willy Wombat are all fun and go for pretty low prices too.

Die Hard Arcade, Fighters Megamix, Sega Rally, Virtua Cop, and Virtua Fighter 2 should be pretty cheap too.

I've been pretty bummed at how few Saturn games I've run into in the wild up here in Hokkaido. No matter where I go, just maybe 2-4 Saturn games. I see more Wonderswan stuff, lol!

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
I've been pretty bummed at how few Saturn games I've run into in the wild up here in Hokkaido. No matter where I go, just maybe 2-4 Saturn games. I see more Wonderswan stuff, lol!

I used to get a lot of stuff shipped from a seller in Hokkaido. Maybe I singlehandedly cleared out the island's Saturn stock. ;)

Die Hard Arcade, Fighters Megamix, Sega Rally, Virtua Cop, and Virtua Fighter 2 should be pretty cheap too.

Die Hard Arcade has never really been cheap and goes for like $60-ish.

Fighters Megamix, is like $12-15ish if you're going disc only. Hell Sega rally is actually not as cheap as you'd think. Consistently goes for $15-20.

Virtua Cop and VF2, yea those are dirt cheap.

As much as I love just playing Saturn games, I have to admit I'm pretty shallow when it comes to collecting and prefer cib with Saturn, which of course, increases the prices dramatically.

MikeMyers

Die Hard Arcade has never really been cheap and goes for like $60-ish.

Fighters Megamix, is like $12-15ish if you're going disc only. Hell Sega rally is actually not as cheap as you'd think. Consistently goes for $15-20.

Virtua Cop and VF2, yea those are dirt cheap.

As much as I love just playing Saturn games, I have to admit I'm pretty shallow when it comes to collecting and prefer cib with Saturn, which of course, increases the prices dramatically.

Are you referring to the American versions? I'm talking about the Japanese versions. For example Amazon has Die Hard Arcade for $18 CIB.

SKINNER!

Banned

I picked up Virtua Fighter 1 in Tokyo for 100 yen. Sure, the front cover was missing but aside from that it was fine.

Saturn and Sega CD are the only consoles I buy sports games for because the cases are so fragile I feel like they will fall apart from regular use. They're a pain to store too. If you don't have a full shelf worth you end up with tons of wasted space.

IrishNinja

I think they're kinda neat but it's a shame how fragile they are

yeah, they're not well designed but i'm a huge fan of how much higher they sit up than their rivals' CD jewel cases!

Saturn and Sega CD are the only consoles I buy sports games for because the cases are so fragile I feel like they will fall apart from regular use. They're a pain to store too. If you don't have a full shelf worth you end up with tons of wasted space.

this is exactly why you have to have a full shelf worth, at least! haha

I love the longboxes! They are annoyingly fragile but I think they look better on the shelf than a plain old jewel case. I also have 140 of them. I do kind of like PS1 jewel cases because they are all black..that looks pretty cool.

Any recommendations for where I can get some decently priced controller extension cables?

I recently got a nice one off ebay for around 10 - 12 bucks (with shipping if I remember right). Raphnet makes some, but I swear every time I look he's sold out, so I don't know if they're super limited or if he's just not making them any more.

koopas

I love the longboxes! They are annoyingly fragile but I think they look better on the shelf than a plain old jewel case. I also have 140 of them. I do kind of like PS1 jewel cases because they are all black..that looks pretty cool.
Is there any truth to the rumor that Sony had to source there PS1 long boxes directly from Sega back in '95?

oneida

god damn am i glad i snagged batsugun when i did. $92 two years ago. I'm sure lots of you got a better deal but the price is insane now.

oneida

yeah, don't have those...
I did end up selling cotton boomerang a few months ago. just wasn't worth to me what it was to others, i really didn't like it very much. pretty game though!

I'm still hoping they put Garegga PS4 on a disc.

Maybe it'll get the Wild Guns Reloaded treatment (Digital-only Japan, Digital + Physical Disc in NA).

Is there any truth to the rumor that Sony had to source there PS1 long boxes directly from Sega back in '95?
I doubt it was anything so direct. There are three variants of PS1 long boxes and one of those seems identical so those are probably the same supplier at the very least.

D.Lo

What did I get back when it was cheap (like 99-2004)...

Street fighter zero 3
The 'Pachis
Capcom Generations series
Konami deluxe pack series

I should have just bought all the shooters. But they were 'expensive' at $30-40.

Timu

Nah, when Saturn games were cheap, I had no money. I can buy these games a lot easier now than I could 10-15 years ago.
When you have games that cost 200-500 bucks(and even higher) that used to be under 100, it's not that simple. Even if we can get games now it's going to hurt the wallet regardless, definitely if you go the CIB route. If I could get Panzer Dragoon Saga for 100 bucks back then, I would definitely go for it compare to today where it costs more than a PS4 Pro!!!

When you have games that cost 200-500 bucks(and even higher) that used to be under 100, it's not that simple. Even if we can get games now it's going to hurt the wallet regardless, definitely if you go the CIB route. If I could get Panzer Dragoon Saga for 100 bucks back then, I would definitely go for it compare to today where it costs more than a PS4 Pro!!!

I was poor as fuck back then. I couldn't afford much of anything. It was a lot easier for me to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga a year or two ago than it was for my mom when I had to decide between it and Shining Force 3 when they were on clearance.

Timu

I was poor as fuck back then. I couldn't afford much of anything. It was a lot easier for me to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga a year or two ago than it was for my mom when I had to decide between it and Shining Force 3 when they were on clearance.
Wow, really? I see what you mean now. Panzer was like 300-400 bucks even 1-2 years ago so that's something.

IrishNinja

...so you went with SF3?

*looks at avatar*

good man

Timu

I mainly tend to CIB cheaper games, as for those pricey ones, well, it depends on the deal more than anything really. I don't mind if it's disc only as I care about the game the most. My goal isn't to collect lots of games, it's to collect the ones I'm interested in the most.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Well, it is more useful than a PS4 Pro though. I own Panzer Dragoon Saga, but no way I am forking out for a PS4 Pro.

I'm still hoping they put Garegga PS4 on a disc.

Maybe it'll get the Wild Guns Reloaded treatment (Digital-only Japan, Digital + Physical Disc in NA).

I didnt know Wild Guns was getting this treatment, definitely importing the physical disc then. Is it available for preorder?

koopas

I mainly tend to CIB cheaper games, as for those pricey ones, well, it depends on the deal more than anything really. I don't mind if it's disc only as I care about the game the most. My goal isn't to collect lots of games, it's to collect the ones I'm interested in the most.
I can barely bring myself to buy a game without a reg card, so I salute you. It's my experience buying piecemeal and trying to cobble together a CIB game is more trouble (and money) than it's worth.

D.Lo

I can barely bring myself to buy a game without a reg card, so I salute you. It's my experience buying piecemeal and trying to cobble together a CIB game is more trouble (and money) than it's worth.
There's also the question of how exactly a game that came with a case ended up disc only. 95% of disc based games come complete (even if the case is worn/damaged), only the least careful type person, the type who put all their discs in disc-damaging wallets, could end up with disc only. Not a good sign.

I see the argument for cart systems, but disc only for disc based systems is asking for trouble IMO.

Top Bottom