• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Conezays

Happy anniversary, Saturn! It's just over a year since I picked mine up as well. Very glad to have added it into my life...my bank account less so.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Present #1:

http://youtu.be/OTSKGTNMaw4

Sega at the Autumn '97 Tokyo Game Show. Click the "CC" button to enable subtitles. Please excuse the lack of subs for the middle segment. I wasn't able to get that portion translated but felt it should be included anyway. Subs return around the seven-minute mark.

Expect four more translated videos over the next week or two. :)

koopas

Present #1:

Sega at the Autumn '97 Tokyo Game Show. Click the "CC" button to enable subtitles. Please excuse the lack of subs for the middle segment. I wasn't able to get that portion translated but felt it should be included anyway. Subs return around the seven-minute mark.

Welcome to the thread. Ive watched many of your videos. Insanely jealous of your sealed collection by the way

cj_iwakura

Present #1:

"This is Cool!" probably wouldn't have worked here, haha.

(I've always liked 'Welcome To Saturn'.)

Timu

PSX power cord can be used on a Saturn without issue, correct?
If it looks like this, then yes:

7183opehIpL._SL1500_.jpg

IrishNinja

That price is for a new copy. Used is like 100-200 bucks(even CIB), just like ebay.

see i never get that either, like people can't reshrinkwrap something? pics aren't often there either...i shouldn't bitch, ive found some deals on there too!

It's not that I don't like Metal Jesus Rocks. He seems like a nice chill dude, who I would totally get along with in person. It's just his buying guides, and hidden gems videos make me want to slap him and the people in his videos. Do 30 minutes of goddamn research motherfuckers. Please just do some fucking research.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
I appreciate the thanks from everyone. The next video will go live tomorrow.

Welcome to the thread. Ive watched many of your videos. Insanely jealous of your sealed collection by the way

I've been posting here for a few months actually, heh. As for the collection, I haven't actually gotten around to showing off the whole thing. The beautiful shelves I used to own are long gone unfortunately. Everything is pretty much just kept in plastic tubs now. Plus I'm no longer collecting. I'd like to get back into it, but everything's just too expensive now, and I'm no longer making the money I used to. Haven't bought any Saturn games in well over a year. :\

It's not that I don't like Metal Jesus Rocks. He seems like a nice chill dude, who I would totally get along with in person. It's just his buying guides, and hidden gems videos make me want to slap him and the people in his videos. Do 30 minutes of goddamn research motherfuckers. Please just do some fucking research.
Ever since he went to doing this full time he's been going all in on the popular click bait videos. But I agree that he seems like a great guy which is why I still watch and let it slide. I remember a video recently where him and his guest didn't know what Final Fight was or some similar game. I was like...wtf!

Galdelico

Totally agree. I don't find his videos unwatchable per se, because he comes out of them as a nice guy who seems genuinely passionate for what he's talking about, but yeah... Other than that, it all gets pretty shallow and uninformative. I mean, they mention the very same titles you could find anywhere else on the Internet, if you Google 'SEGA Saturn top 10' and stop at the first 4-5 results. Super safe, but at least it wouldn't mislead anyone who has never heard about the system.

I don't know if it's a common trait of those 'collectors of everything' out there, and when you pile up so many tens of thousands of games, they all pretty much starts blending in the same cauldron, and you lose a bit of focus. A good example - in my opinion - is AVGN's friend Mike... During his Talk about Games episodes, I find myself quitting halfway through more and more frequently, due to the amount of nonsense coming out of his mouth (no offense, personal thoughts and such, of course).

BTW,
not
according to that guide, I just bought Elan Doree and Donpachi (I'm aware PS port is better regarded, but the deal was just too good, and I may get it on the PlayStation as well, eventually). Super excited, I'll post pics when they arrive. :)

Ever since he went to doing this full time he's been going all in on the popular click bait videos. But I agree that he seems like a great guy which is why I still watch and let it slide. I remember a video recently where him and his guest didn't know what Final Fight was or some similar game. I was like...wtf!

Yea, it's kind of annoying. Not to mention that Metal Jesus and her did two videos about Saturn hidden gems and a Top 10 Saturn list. I'd say, save yourself the time and watch the top ten over this video.

Ugh, I sound elitist now haha. Most of his videos are like this, especially the hidden gem ones. Still enjoy them, especially when he has a guest on who knows what they're talking about(not that she didn't).

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Totally agree. I don't find his videos unwatchable per se, because he comes out of them as a nice guy who seems genuinely passionate for what he's talking about, but yeah... Other than that, it all gets pretty shallow and uninformative. I mean, they mention the very same titles you could find anywhere else on the Internet, if you Google 'SEGA Saturn top 10' and stop at the first 4-5 results. Super safe, but at least it wouldn't mislead anyone who has never heard about the system.

I don't know if it's a common trait of those 'collectors of everything' out there, and when you pile up so many tens of thousands of games, they all pretty much starts blending in the same cauldron, and you lose a bit of focus. A good example - in my opinion - is AVGN's friend Mike... During his Talk about Games episodes, I find myself quitting halfway through more and more frequently, due to the amount of nonsense coming out of his mouth (no offense, personal thoughts and such, of course).

BTW,
not
according to that guide, I just bought Elan Doree and Donpachi (I'm aware PS port is better regarded, but the deal was just too good, and I may get it on the PlayStation as well, eventually). Super excited, I'll post pics when they arrive. :)

I've probably played, owned, and sunk more hours into Saturn games than the average enthusiast, and even I wouldn't feel confident coming up with a definitive Top 10 for the system.

That is a great example and I share your sentiment. Some of those videos are nonsense and it's made worse because the guy he's on there with is also clueless so you're hearing it reinforced, lol.

Metal Jesus is weird because he was the prime demo for the 80's/90's console market but didn't play them at the time. Now he collects from the era but doesn't have any of the built up knowledge and experiences that most of us have. So his videos are pretty surface level. Happy Console Gamer is more inline with most enthusiasts. He just covers games he grew up with so the content isn't as diverse but he is passionate and informed on what he does talk about.

Bar81

I got MD and SS ones from ncsx a few years ago (already had a MD one for cigars but wanted one as a collectible) - expensive but nowhere near that.

piggychan

little late to the Saturn party but happy birthday SS.

Slightly random but I just found an old pic of my copy of MKR with the japanese figurines by SEGA around the time I sold it on ebay for a fraction of what it goes for now.

mkn2.jpg

I like metal jesus but that was one of his poorest vids. I have more accessories just lying around (official ones too) than they mentioned! Still, a real Saturn buyers guide would be about a 5 hour video... He just shouldn't have called it as such imo and they probably rushed it out for the anniversary buzz.

D.Lo

I like metal jesus but that was one of his poorest vids. I have more accessories just lying around (official ones too) than they mentioned! Still, a real Saturn buyers guide would be about a 5 hour video... He just shouldn't have called it as such imo and they probably rushed it out for the anniversary buzz.
Metal Jesus just seems like a goof who knows jack about anything in any video I've ever seen. Like he only ever does cursory research before speaking, and is very often factually wrong.

Haha yep this.

I could have pulled a random handful of games out of my collection and it would have been more informative!

Him and all his guests make errors or dont know stuff all the time but .. Who doesn't, or rather, who knows everything? They probably know a bunch of stuff I don't too, so its not something i hold against them. Its not like he's pretending, he's quite open most of the time when he doesn't know something.

Plus no matter who you are, you don't get a big ass collection like that and play those games for more than a few hours each in most cases. They probably play them more than i get around to at least!

This one was particularly cringeworthy on the 3 pack VF/Daytona/Virtua Cop segment. Like if ur gonna know about any Saturn games at all, those (and Sega Rally) would be the ones!

Because you or I (though I'm trying to get it going) don't make youtube videos that are represented as things from people with correct information. I don't expect anyone to know everything. Obviously that's just not possible. That said though 30 simple fucking minutes of research can make the difference between a video with correct information and a video of some dude pulling shit out of his ass.

Specially in this day and age where literally almost any information you want is at our fingertips. It's just not that hard. Some of this stuff is so basic too. Its fine he admits he doesn't know shit, but like look it up before you record your video. Its really not that hard.

Again I think MJR is a chill dude, and I think in person I'd get along really well with him. Just do some research before making a video is all I'm asking.

MikeMyers

I dont think it really matters anyway. Anyone in the west who wants to buy for Saturn is most likely already a hardcore gamer and would be already knowledgeable.

Top Bottom