• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I can't talk for you, but in the past I've sold my video game collection and deeply regretted. So much that I've ended up buying again the stuff I had. Let me tell you this. I felt incredibly stupid buying the same stuff twice at twice the price I've paid before.

Sell it only if you are certain you won't touch this stuff ever again. Otherwise you will have to pay the price of your mistake.

Oh, I've definitely been there, done that with the selling and the regretting. With a wife and kid, though, you start to think about what's necessary and reasonable. I have a Saturn in America, anyway; I could technically sell of what I've got here, and just keep the games / mod the old system to play them. I'm still sleeping on it.

Oh, I've definitely been there, done that with the selling and the regretting. With a wife and kid, though, you start to think about what's necessary and reasonable. I have a Saturn in America, anyway; I could technically sell of what I've got here, and just keep the games / mod the old system to play them. I'm still sleeping on it.

There's no better person to take this decision than you my friend.

On topic, I received my new Saturn today as well as a game I cherish quite a bit :)

uRJ4ok9.jpg

I rented the Genesis version back when it was new and remember really enjoyed it at that age. Recently, I read the HG101 Earthworm Jim article and wow, the Saturn port of 2 seems like far and away the best version. I need to add that one to the collection!

cj_iwakura

Warning: crappy images incoming, but I still have to show this game some love.

lEdTYnL.jpg

hVP1BIs.jpg

9w3uGPw.jpg

GlzPnko.jpg

Visual feast.

Can't believe it only goes for $10-$20.

Warning: crappy images incoming, but I still have to show this game some love.

macrossimages.jpg

Visual feast.

Can't believe it only goes for $10-$20.
The low price is probably due to the wide distribution and the game's difficulty (or lack thereof). I regularly come across Saturn Macross in used game shops. On the difficulty, I haven't played the game myself, but the few of my friends that have say the game is fairly easy as far as shmups go.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to continue on to disc 2 if you are playing on a US or EU Saturn with a region bypass cartridge. Definitely something to consider.

cj_iwakura

The low price is probably due to the wide distribution and the game's difficulty (or lack thereof). I regularly come across Saturn Macross in used game shops. On the difficulty, I haven't played the game myself, but the few of my friends that have say the game is fairly easy as far as shmups go.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to continue on to disc 2 if you are playing on a US or EU Saturn with a region bypass cartridge. Definitely something to consider.

You'd be wrong! I'm on Disc 2 right now. :p

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cj_iwakura

Man does your stream lag :(

I rented the Genesis version back when it was new and remember really enjoyed it at that age. Recently, I read the HG101 Earthworm Jim article and wow, the Saturn port of 2 seems like far and away the best version. I need to add that one to the collection!

It's a pretty good port. Definitely one of the best. It has some flaws though. For one, the aiming stays in the direction you left it off instead of going back to normal position. The music is awesome but it is red book therefore it stops for 5 seconds in between loops. There are obviously loading too.

On the other hand, it has additional voice clips, beautiful backround on certain levels and the red book music kicks ass.

BTW, glad to see another people aware of HG101. Such a great website :)

Yeah, I mostly needed some place to vent. Talking to my non-gaming wife about it doesn't really get the job done. Not that she's against my hobby, but I think she sees the value in keeping things simple and compact (3DS/Vita gaming). In my head, though, I'm like, SHINING FORCE THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Teknoman

I was worried about that too, but I just started disc 2 from the replay and it said start for the next scene.

That's pretty cool. I think I might finally pick it up then. LOL

My best guess is that either it saved it to the HD or that the second disc is just automatically at that point.

I think the same thing is possible with Deep Fear JP version. It must do some sort of temp save that lets you continue even if you have to turn the system off for a few secs.

Seik

Banned
We tried euro scart cables, JP-21 cables, euro scart cable with JP-21 converter, etc.

For the component part we tried a multitude of different cables too. We tried the box on his 47" LG. We tried it on my Panasonic G25. We tried it on his old JVC CRT TV. We tried it on my JVC too and I got to try it on a Trinitron 32FS120. I even tried it on my Sony Playstation 3D display. I tried it coupled with my XRGB-3 too...

We are absolutely clueless. Shit just refuses to work.

Yep, sums it up pretty well. Shit just doesn't work, maybe it's a lemon. :/

Yeah, I mostly needed some place to vent. Talking to my non-gaming wife about it doesn't really get the job done. Not that she's against my hobby, but I think she sees the value in keeping things simple and compact (3DS/Vita gaming). In my head, though, I'm like, SHINING FORCE THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I don't wanna be any kind of influence man, but seriously, keep your stuff, or else you'll feel salty as hell.

I know why you're not sure, it's because you need some Saturn goodness, just to remember how awesome it is.

Just play a bit, secretly, when she won't be around. The moment you'll press that power button and the boot screen will appear in front of you, you'll just know you have to keep it.

And then...then

scbiEDc.png

Cherish it, FOREVER!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
We tried euro scart cables, JP-21 cables, euro scart cable with JP-21 converter, etc.

For the component part we tried a multitude of different cables too. We tried the box on his 47" LG. We tried it on my Panasonic G25. We tried it on his old JVC CRT TV. We tried it on my JVC too and I got to try it on a Trinitron 32FS120. I even tried it on my Sony Playstation 3D display. I tried it coupled with my XRGB-3 too...

We are absolutely clueless. Shit just refuses to work.

Might be a defective box for all I give a damn.

Honestly my XRGB-3 and all its quirks gave me much less of an headache than this stupid box.
Were you only trying Saturn cables? I should note that the first two Saturn Euro SCART cables I received did *NOT* work with the box and required modification. The third cable I received worked straight away.

Every other system I fed to the box worked without any trouble but it's true that Saturn was a bit iffy as a result of cable differences.

On the flipside, I had an absolutely hell of a time getting SNES to work with my XRGB Mini. Most cables simply will not produce a picture without modification and, even then, the image won't be all that great. Out of ten cables only one of them worked right away and it was a home made cable included with a buddies RGB modded N64. What's worse is that the SNES and Super Famicom actually have slight differences on the AV port that prevent the cables from working with both systems. That home made cable worked brilliantly with the SFC but produced an ugly image with the SNES. :\

So, yeah, some of this stuff can be frustrating and some combinations won't work with some hardware.

Hightower

Banned
I'm currently trying to decide whether to hang onto my Saturn or not. It went untouched for a long time due to my infant/toddler daughter essentially living in the only room in our apartment that has a TV. I'll also be moving countries in the summer. Might not be able to take it with me.

I just don't know whether I'll ever actually get to play it or any of the games I have for it, and at this point in my life that's a good reason NOT to hang onto something. I also have a rather valuable accessory, the Floppy Disk Drive, which could probably fuel my handheld gaming (the only kind of gaming I seem to be capable of these days) habit for a while if I sold it.

It's a big dilemma. I want to keep it, and I know I'll be sad if I sell it, but on the other hand, it's getting harder and harder to justify owning.

As someone who is now rebuilding a collection years later... don't sell it off.

I had an amazing collection and I sold it off for a lot less than I should have. Now, I'm spending a lot more now than I did then to rebuild it. Time is NOT on your side.

Even COMMON stuff is about double what it was even a couple years ago. As well as getting harder and harder to find games complete with the cases and manuals.

I missed owning the system... it was the first game system I bought for myself when I got my first job. So it's always going to have a special place in my heart.

(As I typed that.. I actually got a bargain on a game...)
Added today:
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Alien Trilogy
Need for Speed
X-men: Children of the Atom

Were you only trying Saturn cables? I should note that the first two Saturn Euro SCART cables I received did *NOT* work with the box and required modification. The third cable I received worked straight away.

We also tried it with a genesis scart cable. Same result. I'd love to try it with my SNES but unfortunately I do not find my cable anymore.

Every other system I fed to the box worked without any trouble but it's true that Saturn was a bit iffy as a result of cable differences.

Hmmm. I guess I'll give it another chance once I receive my PS1/SNES scart cables.

On the flipside, I had an absolutely hell of a time getting SNES to work with my XRGB Mini. Most cables simply will not produce a picture without modification and, even then, the image won't be all that great. Out of ten cables only one of them worked right away and it was a home made cable included with a buddies RGB modded N64. What's worse is that the SNES and Super Famicom actually have slight differences on the AV port that prevent the cables from working with both systems. That home made cable worked brilliantly with the SFC but produced an ugly image with the SNES. :\

Yeah the mini can be quite a pain in the ass. This is one of the main reasons why I chose an XRGB-3 over it.

So, yeah, some of this stuff can be frustrating and some combinations won't work with some hardware.

Exactly. It's all about finding the best combination. Unfortunately, it can gets quite expensive with all the trials and errors you have to get through on some systems.

Posted this earlier in the March pick up thread:

I finally bought myself a Sega Saturn!

The console was in excellent condition, it's a Mark 1 model, but the controller is a Mark 2 model and a little worn down. I'm buying a new controller soon.

vxumcZIh.jpg

jfNMdKbh.jpg

c0de

Posted this earlier in the March pick up thread:

I finally bought myself a Sega Saturn!

The console was in excellent condition, it's a Mark 1 model, but the controller is a Mark 2 model and a little worn down. I'm buying a new controller soon.

vxumcZIh.jpg

jfNMdKbh.jpg

What's the 4th game lying under Sega Rally?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Daytona CCE and Sega Rally are both dope (although CCE is very different from the arcade game). You should get VF2 - for price + quality it's hard to beat.

Hightower

Banned
Oh.. I almost forgot about estarland.

Cleared out something in trade and just got a few jems coming...

Action Replay 3 in 1 Cart (here come the IMPORTS!!!!)

Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Marvel Super Heroes (JPN)
Marvel vs Street Fighter (JPN)
Sega Rally
Fighting Vipers (JPN)

All are complete aside from the two Marvel games. Both will need cases. That shouldn't be hard.

Damn this crazy addiction of mine...

c0de

Two games actually. Virtua Striker '97 and JVC boxing. Not exactly what I'm after, but they followed along :)

Overall pretty games for starting! But Sega Rally will be hard in the beginning, the controls are very sensitive. Have fun with Saturn, I loved it and will never forget how much fun I had with Daytona (the ported arcade version, though).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
But Sega Rally will be hard in the beginning, the controls are very sensitive.
Speaking of...
Let's talk about the Saturn wheel. I'm talking about this thing:

8sZyGcM.jpg

What do people think of it?

I've got one, haven't put very much time on it but am hoping to use it quite a bit more when I get a copy of OutRun.

Hightower

Banned
I had that wheel in the past and it's... ok. Mainly because it's NOT a wheel... it's more like a yoke of an airplane.

Makes it hard to do hand over hand turns like an actual car.

Teknoman

Its gonna suck when Retro console accessories ebay seller comes back. Only 10 available of that Saturn RGB + 2 audio outs cable left, and 21 people watching it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Speaking of...

8sZyGcM.jpg

I've got one, haven't put very much time on it but am hoping to use it quite a bit more when I get a copy of OutRun.

I passed on one at a thrift store no more than a month ago, and I feel dumb :(

Wow, this is actually tempting. It seems to make a difference quite a lot.

Yeah, early racers on the Saturn/PS1 that use the default d-pad for steering and that are very sensitive tend to be easier with a wheel. I don't know if the games are programmed to sense grades of the wheel turn, compared to simply giving full turn of the wheels for each d-pad button press. Newer racers don't turn the wheels of the car to full force immediately since this isn't possible in a real car.

Overall pretty games for starting! But Sega Rally will be hard in the beginning, the controls are very sensitive. Have fun with Saturn, I loved it and will never forget how much fun I had with Daytona (the ported arcade version, though).
Thanks! I purchased the original Daytona USA too, to get the real deal. Though I'm guessing I may as well play the 60fps arcade port on my Xbox 360! Nice to have such a classic in my library though!

c0de

Thanks! I purchased the original Daytona USA too, to get the real deal. Though I'm guessing I may as well play the 60fps arcade port on my Xbox 360! Nice to have such a classic in my library though!

The arcade port on 360 is gorgeous! But you will feel the difference to Saturn immediately. The Saturn port was to give a good equivalent to the arcade version given that the pad only had digital controls. Also breaking is behaving a bit different and you have more cars in Saturn version (you'll like the green one ;)). But both are excellent to play!

The arcade port on 360 is gorgeous! But you will feel the difference to Saturn immediately. The Saturn port was to give a good equivalent to the arcade version given that the pad only had digital controls. Also breaking is behaving a bit different and you have more cars in Saturn version (you'll like the green one ;)). But both are excellent to play!

Noted! I'll be checking them out soon :)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Speaking of...

8sZyGcM.jpg

I asked for this for my birthday/xmas one year. I told my parents that if they couldn't find it or if they thought it was too expensive, then I was cool with not getting it, but I also asked them specifically not to get me a 3rd party wheel.

They got me a lousy MadCatz wheel. I remember trying to bottle up my disappointment as best as I could.

Makes it hard to do hand over hand turns like an actual car.
This was one of the reasons why I wanted the Arcade Racer, though. I was always under the impression that it would play more faithfully to arcade Daytona. (I was/am a huge Daytona USA nut. It was the entire reason I picked up the system.) That MadCatz wheel in question had to be cranked around for several rotations in order to turn as sharply as possible, and that wasn't true to the experience at all!

I asked for this for my birthday/xmas one year. I told my parents that if they couldn't find it or if they thought it was too expensive, then I was cool with not getting it, but I also asked them specifically not to get me a 3rd party wheel.

They got me a lousy MadCatz wheel. I remember trying to bottle up my disappointment as best as I could.

Parents just don't understand.

How's Outrun with this thing? I really love the Sega Ages port (specifically the Japanese port since I can cycle between the original and great arranged music), but I feel like I'm missing out without analog control.

Yay! I received Samurai Shodown IV & Fatal Fury 3 today, which pretty much complete my SNK collection for now. I guess I will grab up KoF 95 some day but presently I am satisfied with what I have.

I am surprised with Fatal Fury 3, rather in a disappointing way. The Saturn port is pretty average and I feel lenient by saying this specific adjective for describing it. The game has lots of loading screens. Each battle takes a whooping 21 seconds to load and that isn't counting the loading for the world map and the rival presentation. The sprite animations are closer to what you would expect from the PS1 rather than the Saturn. The game also suffers from slowdown quite frequently. But the worst offender without a doubt is the framerate. The game runs at 30 fps at most 95% of the time and from there it can get worse depending of what is going on. 60Hz gameplay moments are so rare you'd be hard-pressed to spot one.

Yet...

The more I played, the more I got addicted. For one the gameplay is still the same. Pure SNK stuff. Now many times did a bad port fascinate me. This is one of them. I had this strange will to keep playing to see how bad it is, to see if there is any redeeming quality hidden inside. I simply like to compare different versions of games and spot every little detail and difference between them.
Q1UrWpr.jpg

Top Bottom