• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Flock

tumblr_mjmllyuYME1qe48vto1_1280.jpg

such a stunningly gorgeous console
I've close to convinced myself now i have to pick up an all white one

D.Lo

I am surprised with Fatal Fury 3, rather in a disappointing way. The Saturn port is pretty average and I feel lenient by saying this specific adjective for describing it. The game has lots of loading screens. Each battle takes a whooping 21 seconds to load and that isn't counting the loading for the world map and the rival presentation. The sprite animations are closer to what you would expect from the PS1 rather than the Saturn. The game also suffers from slowdown quite frequently. But the worst offender without a doubt is the framerate. The game runs at 30 fps at most 95% of the time and from there it can get worse depending of what is going on. 60Hz gameplay moments are so rare you'd be hard-pressed to spot one.
Real Bout is basically a fixed FF3. Even the original NG FF3 didn't run perfectly, but yes the Saturn port is bad. And Real Bout Special is even better.

My Favourite Saturn SNK Goodness is RBS, SSIV and KOF97. I never had a NG back in the day but having these games made me feel like a king. The Saturn has better load times and animation than the NGCD, but the improved CD soundtracks.

Facism

I remember when I got my saturn. It came with Sega Rally, Panzer Dragoon Zwei and NiGHTS. Analogue pad, too.

The best of times.

Valkyria

Banned
I like white saturns most. Maybe I can get one free, but it has yellowed so I will have to paint it or use Hydrogen peroxide for whitening, but I don't know how it will affect the painted letters.

I like white saturns most. Maybe I can get one free, but it has yellowed so I will have to paint it or use Hydrogen peroxide for whitening, but I don't know how it will affect the painted letters.
If you do go through with it, let me know how it goes. I've been interested in using a whitening treatment for my old PC Engine.

Hightower

Banned
My collection is growing nicely.

I keep finding great deals on games, and have now started focusing in on the Japanese versions. Just a lot cheaper for most of them.

Picked up (all imports)

Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtual On
Daytona USA
X-men vs Street Fghter
Marvel vs Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes

Domestic:
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2

All within the past couple days

I cannot stand the load times in the Saturn conversion. Just buy it on Wii VC for $10 and enjoy a much better version.

Yeah, I remember that. Wasn't much fun then and it would probably be worse now.

No Wii though and no new consoles for awhile. If I get anything hardware related, it's going to be another Japanese Saturn. Playing Soukyugurentai on wimp mode with US hardware is really bugging me. I bought that Saturn NIB and I can't bring myself to mod it.

Yeah, I remember that. Wasn't much fun then and it would probably be worse now.

No Wii though and no new consoles for awhile. If I get anything hardware related, it's going to be another Japanese Saturn. Playing Soukyugurentai on wimp mode with US hardware is really bugging me. I bought that Saturn NIB and I can't bring myself to mod it.

Doesn't Otokuyo correct that?

No. It corrects the language issues and other graphical glitches, but the core game still thinks it's running on a US Titan board (Terra Diver). And it's easier.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
My collection is growing nicely.

I keep finding great deals on games, and have now started focusing in on the Japanese versions. Just a lot cheaper for most of them.

Picked up (all imports)

Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtual On
Daytona USA
X-men vs Street Fghter
Marvel vs Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes

Domestic:
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2

All within the past couple days

Man, I love Virtua Fighter 2. Probably not gonna surprise anyone, I know, but fuck - what an awesome game.

Check out some of these secrets which were unearthed by a VFDC member.

Four Victory Stances:
Each character has up to four victory stances and/or taunts. With the exception of the "EXCELLENT!!" victory taunt, you can select any of the other three you prefer by pressing and holding either G, P, or K.

Slow motion replay:
Press P+K+G before the replay. Will work only once per match. You cannot cancel slo-mo replays. Depending on the version, you get extra slo-mo replays every 4 consecutive wins, or if you insert extra credits.

VF1 Music:
In the momentary silence before the first set of every round begins, you can hold down the Player 1 start button to play a remixed version of the music played in Jacky's VF1 stage. Hold down the Player 2 start button for a remixed version of the music in Sarah's VF1 stage.

Fun With Lau's Hair:
During Lau vs Lau matches in vs mode, the winners hair will get longer and longer and the losers hair will get shorter and shorter.

Knock The Lamps Over:
In Kage's stage, when Wolf stands at one corner of the ring, he can use his Giant Swing (HCF+P) to throw his enemy into the torch in the background. The lighting in the stage will then dim. Kage can also use a TFT combo to knock an opponent into the torch.

Infinate Range Powerbomb:
Jeffry can powerbomb (df+P+K+G) a sitting (d,d) Shun anywhere in the ring, no matter the range. Can be performed even if Shun has his back to Jeffry; Jeffry will materialize facing Shun.
This may crash the game depending on the version.

The Bird:
Bring out the bird in Jacky's stage by holding down on both joysticks and pressing 1P and 2P's P+K+G and start buttons. The bird will fly off the rock in the background and hover over the head of the losing player. This will work in vs mode and against the CPU.

Against the CPU, if you bring out the bird and then lose the match by RO (and if you're still standing up, and have more energy than the CPU), you can hold up on the stick and the bird will pick you up by your face and fly off with you during the "Continue?" countdown. If your path intersects with the ring you will be dropped back into it.

If you have less energy than the CPU Jacky and do the same, the bird will not come out, but you will still be levitated into the air with the same animation.
Against the CPU, if you bring out the bird and then lose the match by KO, hold up. When the "Continue?" countdown reaches 0, the player character stands, speaks his losing quote, and tumbles down. This is all seen from high above the ring.

Against the CPU, if you bring out the bird and then lose the match by TO and hold up, the bird will not come out, but you will still be levitated into the air with the same animation

Copy Taunt Trick:
The loser must be standing with his/her leading foot on the very edge of the ring. When the announcer declares "Time over", the loser will stumble out of the ring as he/she starts his/her time over animation. Outside the ring, as the loser recovers his/her balance, the loser will copy the winner's animation, instead of the loser's normal time over animation.

Plenty of amusing things to see. Such as if the winner is Shun, when he drinks from his wine flask, an identical wine flask will materialise in the loser's hand!

Speaking of which, how do the Thunderforce Gold Packs run on Saturn? Any reason to get them over the Gen/MD versions? I know the 2nd Gold Pack has the arcade game, but that's just a port of 3, right?

I have wondered whether Thunder Force IV would be better to go after on Saturn or Genesis, yeah. I know the Saturn version has less slowdown, but the Genesis version has better audio.

The Thunderforce IV port in Thunderforce Gold Pack Vol 2 is worth the price alone. All of the slowdown is gone and the soundtrack is streamed from the CD. The game is harder without the slowdown though.

I have wondered whether Thunder Force IV would be better to go after on Saturn or Genesis, yeah. I know the Saturn version has less slowdown, but the Genesis version has better audio.

It's debatable. The sound effects are probably a little clearer on the Saturn IMO. The bass is just as heavy as it is on a Model 1 Genesis/MD.

So I was just browsing through this thread, as I consider myself a pretty huge Sega fan. Turns out the actual hardware Saturn is not entirely appealing to me at this point in time, but I feel like it should be!

I have a healthy collection of Genesis and Dreamcast stuff, but I always stayed away from the Saturn all these years due mainly to cost and rareity. (some would say this is the perfect reason to WANT to get into collecting)

With having NiGHTs, Radiant Silvergun, Fighting Vipers, Sonic Fighters, VF2 all available via-XBLA, and Panzer Dragoon being offered with-in the Xbox release of Orta, the only games with the best experience being exclusive to the Saturn is the out of hand priced Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei.

What else is left for the platform that isn't either parody elsewhere (and likely cheaper) or still exclusive to the Saturn?

On a completely related note: What's the story with Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei? I've read a blurp about it being available on PC via GameTap but I can't find any information on the gametap website on how I might go about purchasing this.

oneida

So I was just browsing through this thread, as I consider myself a pretty huge Sega fan. Turns out the actual hardware Saturn is not entirely appealing to me at this point in time, but I feel like it should be!

I have a healthy collection of Genesis and Dreamcast stuff, but I always stayed away from the Saturn all these years due mainly to cost and rareity. (some would say this is the perfect reason to WANT to get into collecting)

With having NiGHTs, Radiant Silvergun, Fighting Vipers, Sonic Fighters, VF2 all available via-XBLA, and Panzer Dragoon being offered with-in the Xbox release of Orta, the only games with the best experience being exclusive to the Saturn is the out of hand priced Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei.

What else is left for the platform that isn't either parody elsewhere (and likely cheaper) or still exclusive to the Saturn?

On a completely related note: What's the story with Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei? I've read a blurp about it being available on PC via GameTap but I can't find any information on the gametap website on how I might go about purchasing this.
Burning Rangers comes to mind.

Tons of fucking amazing shmups if you import.

Also that Saturn pad.

Off the top of my head, aside from Panzer Zwei, there's Burning Rangers, Fighters Megamix, Shinobi Legions, Astal, Mr. Bones, Dark Savior, and House of the Dead. I'm definitely forgetting a few things.

It's debatable. The sound effects are probably a little clearer on the Saturn IMO. The bass is just as heavy as it is on a Model 1 Genesis/MD.
I'm not convinced of that, honestly... Compare Saturn to Genesis, the Saturn one sounds really muffled with the sound effects. I am noticing some pauses in the Genesis version that I hadn't before, though...

Hightower

Banned
There's so many hidden gems in the Saturn library that it can be a bit tough to keep track of.

If you're a fighting game fan, then you are in absolute heaven. It's like the best of the best for fighting, especially if you have a little money to spend.

there's some great shooters as well.

To be fair, it's not the best looking graphics.. but for some reason the system just has this charm about tit that I've never gotten from another system.

i gotta get Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei now in a BAD way. both are amazing games.

Off the top of my head, aside from Panzer Zwei, there's Burning Rangers, Fighters Megamix, Shinobi Legions, Astal, Mr. Bones, Dark Savior, and House of the Dead. I'm definitely forgetting a few things.

Haha, this list has convinced me it's still worthwhile to maybe try and collect some of this stuff but I'm starting to remember the frustration involved in shopping for Saturn swag on eBay.

Burning Rangers ... US - $138 disc only. JPN - CIB $25 ... What the fuck?!

I cannot stand the load times in the Saturn conversion. Just buy it on Wii VC for $10 and enjoy a much better version.

They really aren't that bad. Plus, you get to play it using a Saturn pad. I just enjoy playing my shit on the Saturn. With the XRGB-3 it beats the VC version all day long.

EDIT: Mind contact. Scary stuff here.

Seik

Banned

Well after I played a bit with Papersleeves, can't say those loading are too long to piss me off.

EDIT: lol Paper are you fucking serious?! Can't believe we quoted the same person and posted at the same time. XD

Haha, this list has convinced me it's still worthwhile to maybe try and collect some of this stuff but I'm starting to remember the frustration involved in shopping for Saturn swag on eBay.

Yeah, the US version of Burning Rangers (House of the Dead, too) is a bit pricey. Not Panzer Dragoon Saga pricey, but still more expensive than your average Saturn game.

Hightower

Banned

It's all about the difference in popularity between the 2 regions.

The Saturn was pretty much a dud here, but was a decent sized hit in Japan.

So the games here ran into short print runs that drove the prices way up. ESPECIALLY on late run games like Panzer Saga and Burning Rangers.

If you get an Action Replay, it becomes an amazing system and allows you to really play some gems we in the US missed out on.

Also, Burning Rangers focuses heavily on your navigator giving you directions over your comm link - entirely audio-based, and potentially a huge issue if the language barrier gets in the way. That'd impact the prices, too - people are looking for an English language version so they can get through the game.

oneida

Hahah Jesus Christ. I bought BR disc only for $30 like a year ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-SATURN...9566?pt=DE_PC_Videospiele&hash=item4ac1ec770e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-SATURN...6832?pt=DE_PC_Videospiele&hash=item56535a2fb0

are you kidding me?

i sold each 14 years ago for what is today around 20€.

Quake also goes for 100$. jesus... i could've been rich today, i had pretty much every rare PAL release: PDS, Deep Fear, Torico, Dragon Force, THOTD, Enemy Zero.

i'll try to track down the guy i sold most of my stuff back in the day, try to cut a deal if he still has this stuff available.

oneida

Radiant Silvergun is a bit cheaper these days than it was a few years ago. Used to be almost Hyper Duel prices, now you can snag a copy for ~$120 without trying too hard.

Guardian Heroes hasn't budged much though, I think.

Valkyria

Banned
Some prices are just insane. Today I saw someone selling the Panzer Dragoon Saga PAL-Es for 125€ with shipping. A more realistic price actually.

Saturn is a great console if you go NTSC-J, most of the west games do not appeal me.

oneida

Having a local comic shop has given me access to some sweet deals. Disc only Burning Rangers for $30, complete very good condition Shining Force 3 for $80 (had store credit so I got it for $50), no manual Sonic Jam for $30

:]

Flock

I'm close too convinced i'll buy a Japanese saturn now... but I have one hesitation...
I want to use it exclusively on my sony PVM which has both RGB and S-Video.
I'd be happy to use either, but as it seems close to impossible to get a saturn s-video cable for cheap or even a decent price these days I know I'll need to use RGB...

So,

Is the japanese RGB Scart cable for the saturn good quality?
Will it work with this cable I already have, which is designed for Euro Scart I believe...http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc.html
Will I also need to get some sort of convertor for the Japanese RGB Scart cable to make it plug into Euro?

Basically what are my best option for using a Japanese Saturn on a Euro Sony PVM?

Thank you

ascii42

Valkyria

Banned
Today I tried Sega Touring Car, my eyes started bleeding. Oh God, I play my Saturn in and HD TV which does a good escalation, Daytona, Burning Rangers, etc... look nicely, but that game, not even close. The resolution must be abysmal.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Saturn Daytona is a competent port in most of the important metrics (controls well on a d-pad, faithful to the arcade version in terms of AI & physics/handling, higher quality music), but that game was rough to look at even when it was released. No multiplayer also blew. But it was good enough for training purposes at home so that I could demolish anyone at the arcade.

Teknoman

I know people go over on vacation sometime, but retro console accessories still isnt back >_<

Hope she doesnt sell through those SCART cables with the extra audio plugs too fast.

Is it true that those knockoff USB Saturn pads on eBay can have their shells replaced with authentic Saturn pad shells?

This thread made me check out Saturn emulation and while I'm enjoying it, I don't enjoy playing the games using a PS2 gamepad so I bought a knockoff USB pad off of eBay (still waiting for it to arrive). Thinking of getting a broken Saturn pad and switching out the shell with my USB one.

Seik

Banned
Is it true that those knockoff USB Saturn pads on eBay can have their shells replaced with authentic Saturn pad shells?

This thread made me check out Saturn emulation and while I'm enjoying it, I don't enjoy playing the games using a PS2 gamepad so I bought a knockoff USB pad off of eBay (still waiting for it to arrive). Thinking of getting a broken Saturn pad and switching out the shell with my USB one.

Buy this instead (If the USB pad you bought doesn't delivers), I have it and it works wonderfully. :)

Top Bottom