• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Got this is the mail,
576339_16287_front.jpg

It's a puzzle game starring the characters from Uforia.

It's a lot like Dr. Mario, but the virus equivalents move around until the pill equivalent is placed on one.

the single player is really short though. i beat it in 20 minutes, so i wouldn't suggest it unless you have friends to play with.

Chamai

Banned
try layer selection and wolf fang if you guys like arcade style shooters.

for RPG's, magic knight rayearth was my fav.

its been years since i touched my saturn. this thread inspires me to hunt for some old games.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is it true that those knockoff USB Saturn pads on eBay can have their shells replaced with authentic Saturn pad shells?

This thread made me check out Saturn emulation and while I'm enjoying it, I don't enjoy playing the games using a PS2 gamepad so I bought a knockoff USB pad off of eBay (still waiting for it to arrive). Thinking of getting a broken Saturn pad and switching out the shell with my USB one.
I'm not sure if the knock-offs are the same, but I do know that the innards of the official Sega USB/PS2 Saturn pads are interchangeable with original Saturn pads except for the shoulder buttons.

Valkyria

Banned
I have just finished Deep Fear. Even for a 1998 game the production values are not really high. Compared whit Resident Evil 2 this games feels way older. Anyway it was fun while it lasted.

try layer selection and wolf fang if you guys like arcade style shooters.

for RPG's, magic knight rayearth was my fav.

its been years since i touched my saturn. this thread inspires me to hunt for some old games.

Wolf Fang always looked really cool to me, like a forced-scrolling Assault Suits Valken. Is the Saturn port better than the PS1 version? It seems like the PS1 version sells much cheaper.

Got this is the mail,
576339_16287_front.jpg

It's a puzzle game starring the characters from Uforia.

It's a lot like Dr. Mario, but the virus equivalents move around until the pill equivalent is placed on one.

the single player is really short though. i beat it in 20 minutes, so i wouldn't suggest it unless you have friends to play with.

These Hebereke characters have dabbled in seemingly every genre ever. I just saw a SFC game staring them that was an an isometric racer.

Flock

Just pulled the trigger on the white one.
Can anyone confirm they are using a third party Euro RGB Scart cable on a Japanese saturn with no issues? and if so which cable from which online vendor they suggest I buy?

Can't wait to get this baby running through RGB scart on my PVM...
Hoping to start building my collection around all the most beautiful 2D games
Aslo as a graphic designer I couldn't resist the beauty of the japanese saturn game packaging.

Hightower

Banned
Happy and somewhat troubling day....

got my order in from EStarland with my Action Replay and Marvel vs. Street Fighter....

and it doesn't work.

I guess I have an older version of the cartridge as it's incompatible with the later Capcom games that require RAM.

I need to order a nw one, but I have a feeling it's going to be a crapshoot as to which I get, correct?

I doubt theres a way to update the cart at this point.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

got my order in from EStarland with my Action Replay and Marvel vs. Street Fighter....

and it doesn't work.

I guess I have an older version of the cartridge as it's incompatible with the later Capcom games that require RAM.

I need to order a nw one, but I have a feeling it's going to be a crapshoot as to which I get, correct?

This is what you need. Don't buy anything that is not this.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-k8-49-en-70-1b2.html

and it doesn't work.

What is your version?

I kinda wish there was a US version; best of both worlds, since you'd get the English translations (even if they could never figure out that "storage" isn't spelt "strage") and the 60Hz gameplay. Then again, I've seen the entire plot from the Retsupurae of it, and the actual gameplay seems a bit too repetitive to hold up for me, with all the running around samey hallways and the clunky tank-movement-based combat (at least there's no dearth of ammo).

oneida

I have one that looks just like that. When I get home I'll check the version number. I'd almost guarantee that it's an older version of it. :/

Are you sure you're using it correctly? What happens when you try and boot up the game?

Hightower

Banned
Are you sure you're using it correctly? What happens when you try and boot up the game?

lol, I'm a veteran to the Saturn. I've owned the system 3 times in the past, including a 4 in 1 cart.

It will boot my other imports just fine, including Marvel Super Heroes in the extra RAM mode.

I've done a little reading and early versions of the cart aren't compatible with the later Capcom games.

I cant read Japanese, but the error does say something about needing a 4M cart.

I bought it as a used one from EStarland, so it's most likely an old build. I'l check in a moment....

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I've done a little reading and early versions of the cart aren't compatible with the later Capcom games.

I cant read Japanese, but the error does say something about needing a 4M cart.

Isn't that the "remove one circuit loop, solder one wire and fix the 4in1 problem" case?

This one: http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/information/4MBRAM-mod.htm

Edit: The note at the bottom implies that yes, that's the issue you're having. Easy fix.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Thanks! Well, at least I know I'm not going crazy.
Looks easy enough... I dont have the tools I need to do it though.

I think I'm going to return it and just buy a new one.

I'm pretty sure the first batch of the "newer ones" where this problem was fixed were just the old boards with this fix applied - in other words, they just nicked one circuit path and soldered a wire in it instead, as the page suggests.

Subsequent batches have the circuit fixed proper.

Edit: But sure, if you can return it and get a newer one, that's preferred.

Chamai

Banned
Wolf Fang always looked really cool to me, like a forced-scrolling Assault Suits Valken. Is the Saturn port better than the PS1 version? It seems like the PS1 version sells much cheaper.

These Hebereke characters have dabbled in seemingly every genre ever. I just saw a SFC game staring them that was an an isometric racer.

never tried the PS1 version. i should download the ps1 version and try it on my ps1. not even sure if my ps1 still works.

Modded Saturn, or swap trick. Having a legit copy of the game just means it's easier and more legal to apply the patches for burning onto a CD-R.

Great deal with spine card and everything else. I played the psx translated version, but I will follow the saturn translation. For me it will be even better a Snatcher translation.

Yeah! That's not a photo of the one I got but mine is complete with obi, etc.

Modded Saturn, or swap trick. Having a legit copy of the game just means it's easier and more legal to apply the patches for burning onto a CD-R.

Yeah, I have a Saturn with the Region BIOS and a modchip. But I like to rip my own copies and then I have a physical product on a shelf.

cj_iwakura

I'm tempted to play through Saturn Soul Hackers after I finish the 3DS version, with the official translation at my side.

Might be fun to do somewhere down the line anyway.

Could theoretically do that with Saturn Snatcher if you have the Sega CD version running through an emulator.

Did Saturn Policenauts predate PS1 Policenauts or was it simultaneous?

Hightower

Banned
Marvel Super heroes vs Street Fighter (JP)
Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2 (not sure which region version is cheaper)

I have Marvel vs. Street Fighter now.. but I cant play it. My Action Replay is an old cart and needs to be updated. That will be taken care of this week.

The JPN versions are far cheaper for the Panzers... and they are definitely on my hitlist.

I have Last Bronx and World Heroes on the way as well.

Velkyn

Hey SaturnGAF!

(Relatively) new to GAF and new to the Saturn. I didn't own one back in the day, and I'm definitely interested in picking up my own console. I assume an in-box mint Saturn would probably set me back an arm and a leg, so how much would a pre-owned Saturn set me back? Is there any sort of wear and tear that would make owning one used a bad idea? I'll be heading down to PAX East next week, hoping to pick one up on the trip. I suppose I could always Ebay it, but being Canadian, I'd like to avoid crazy shipping costs if at all possible.

Hightower

Banned
Hey SaturnGAF!

(Relatively) new to GAF and new to the Saturn. I didn't own one back in the day, and I'm definitely interested in picking up my own console. I assume an in-box mint Saturn would probably set me back an arm and a leg, so how much would a pre-owned Saturn set me back? Is there any sort of wear and tear that would make owning one used a bad idea? I'll be heading down to PAX East next week, hoping to pick one up on the trip. I suppose I could always Ebay it, but being Canadian, I'd like to avoid crazy shipping costs if at all possible.

They are a pretty solidly built console, you shouldn't have any issues with that. You will most likely have to replace the battery in it.

The one I have currently, I got off Ebay for $20 plus shipping. It didnt look the prettiest, but a little cleaning and it looks as good as new.

The system is NOT the expensive part, it's the games. The rarity factor is making a lot of once affordable games, pretty pricey. (Im finding this out first hand now.)

I am now rebuilding a collection and I know I'm paying nearly double for a lot of the games I used to own.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
They are a pretty solidly built console, you shouldn't have any issues with that. You will most likely have to replace the battery in it.

I wouldn't even bother replacing the battery since you'll just end up replacing it again when it dies anyway. Just grab a memory cart to save games on.

oneida

I have Last Bronx . . . on the way as well.

Helllllll yeah man! Real talk, you should consider getting yourself a Saturn stick. I know you've got some 6 button fighters but for the 3 button games like LB, VF2, FV, FM (and the several dozen SHMUPS, none of which require more than 3 buttons), these can be snagged pretty cheap:

dFVJMhg.jpg

Right now on eBay there aren't any cheaper than $50 shipped. Fuck that, but keep an eye out and snag one of these if you can.

And before all the "but all these 6 button games!" talk, 6 button Saturn sticks are much more expensive than these (generally). And 3 button sticks are cool.

/edit/

There's also this if you must have that fourth button.

http://www.genkivideogames.com/sega-saturn-real-arcade-vf-dash-hori-sega-hardware/hss12

Top Bottom