• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

D.Lo

Hi guys,

I'm getting a Jap Sega Saturn soon. I need to get a video cable too, but I'm based in Europe and from what I've read, the AV pinouts are different between Japanese and European Saturn models.

Do you know where I could find an RGB Scart cable that would work on a Japanese Saturn with a European TV?

Thanks!
I've never had any problems using a Euro Scart cable with my white Japanese Saturn. I've had it for like years though.

Whose played Soukyugurentai / Terra Diver?
Just picked it up for a good deal
$T2eC16FHJG!E9nm3pwD0BRR(gu!R9!~~60_3.JPG

Congrats, one of my favorite shooting games. I actually have both the original release and Otokuyo lol. Maybe I should pick up the Playstation release too. I wonder if it doesn't slow down like hell in 2P mode like the Saturn game.

D.Lo

How do you plug it to the electric net? A 220V to 110 V and also for 50/60 hz conversion?
I actually replaced the internal PSU a few years ago with that of a broken PAL Saturn I bought on ebay (AU) for basically nothing. Before that a stepdown converter.

Congrats, one of my favorite shooting games. I actually have both the original release and Otokuyo lol. Maybe I should pick up the Playstation release too. I wonder if it doesn't slow down like hell in 2P mode like the Saturn game.
I forget; aside from not looking royally screwed up on non-Japanese Saturns, what did Otokuyo add?

Credo

Yeah, but it is hard to use Amazon Marketplace becuase of the lack of pictures. There is a listing in the $90 range, but also plenty of used ones at US$ 200. What is the difference? I bet the state of the cover/disk and the lack of spine.

I will keep an eye on ebay for new auctions, but I feel it would be difficult to make this kind of swap. I am not in US (I live in Brazil) and that reduces my chances of selling the sealed copy at a good price.

I've ordered several Saturn games from an Amazon seller named playimport. The games were all listed as Very Good condition, and after receiving them, I'd say 90% of them were what I'd classify as Like New. None of the discs had any scratches, none of the cases had any cracks, and only 1 or 2 cases had what you might call a minor scuff, which were very minor.

Also, there's a seller named globalproduct who usually has games for a lot cheaper than the rest, but I've never ordered a game from them, so I can't say anything about the quality.

smbu2000

Picked up some random stuff today and the other day. Nothing too expensive.
Space Harrier was a nice find at 105 yen (also has spine card.) Tactics Ogre (no spine card) and Samurai Spirits IV(spine card) were about 300 yen each. The store also had the pack-in version of SSIV with the 1MB RAM cart for 1,000 yen, but I don't need anymore of those.

The other game was 100 yen and I figured why not put it in the collection. Luckily my gf doesn't look through my Saturn games, only the SFC/Mega Drive ones.

Nice pickups! I really want Space Harrier myself. I love my Saturn SEGA AGES Outrun and Columns Arcade Collection, and I'm sure the same kind of care was put into Space Harrier. It supports the Mission stick too, right?

smbu2000

Nice pickups! I really want Space Harrier myself. I love my Saturn SEGA AGES Outrun and Columns Arcade Collection, and I'm sure the same kind of care was put into Space Harrier. It supports the Mission stick too, right?

Thanks! I'm not sure how much I'll play the game though as I bought the 3DS VC release not too long ago and I've been playing that one!

According to the spine card, the game supports both the mission stick as well as the Saturn Analog controller.

HD D&D collection coming to all current platforms...so what will that mean for the price of the Saturn game?

Slight increase due to curiosity, followed by a slight drop when the HD collection releases. The price will probably stabilize somewhere close to where it originally was.

HD D&D collection coming to all current platforms...so what will that mean for the price of the Saturn game?

Considering the genre, I think Guardian Heroes is an accurate precedent.
Digital re-releases don't effect aftermarket value of Saturn belt-scroll action games, even if they're dramatically improved over the Saturn release.

Personally I'm psyched. 4P support was absent for the Saturn version.

I think the D&D HD release might do more damage to the Saturn version's value because the game is seen as an arcade game more than a Saturn game. It's not a Saturn tentpole like Guardian Heroes. So the Saturn version will become much less essential, especially since it doesn't even support 4 players.

I think the D&D HD release might do more damage to the Saturn version's value because the game is seen as an arcade game more than a Saturn game. It's not a Saturn tentpole like Guardian Heroes. So the Saturn version will become much less essential, especially since it doesn't even support 4 players.

I still want to eventually get a physical version of the game just because, so I hope this ends up being the case.

Good point. And coming to think of it, Silvergun's value dropped since the re-release (also originally an Arcade game).

Wishful thinking I'm afraid. But I hope you're right. I would love to grab the Saturn set for a low price.

Teknoman

Considering the genre, I think Guardian Heroes is an accurate precedent.
Digital re-releases don't effect aftermarket value of Saturn belt-scroll action games, even if they're dramatically improved over the Saturn release.

Personally I'm psyched. 4P support was absent for the Saturn version.

Oh yeah, im definitely getting the HD stuff.

Seik

Banned
Slight increase due to curiosity, followed by a slight drop when the HD collection releases. The price will probably stabilize somewhere close to where it originally was.

Yep, it was the same thing when Radiant Silvergun got to XBLA, rinse/repeat.

Welp, only time will tell.

smbu2000

I'd love to see the price drop, that way I'd be able to pick up a cheap(er) copy for myself. HD re-releases are nice, but I'd rather play the Saturn version.

I've recently been on a major Saturn kick and have picked up Sokuy, Marvel vs SF, X-Men vs SF, Metal Slug, Vampire Hunter, Dondonpachi and Gale Racer. I've been watching auctions on Die Hard Arcade and a few others but haven't jumped in yet. Also considering Battle Garegga.

There is no doubt prices have jumped about 10-15% in the past two years. That's how long it's been since I added anything to my already sizable Saturn collection, and I can tell you it appears demand is on the upswing.

Hightower

Banned
I've got the following coming:

Cyberbots
Vampire Savior
Dynamite Deka (Die Hard Arcade)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
SDF Macross: DYRL
Last Bronx
Samurai Spirits (Shodown) 4
X-Men vs. Street Figther

This will take my new collection to just over 35 games in less than a month. Time to slow down big time. lol

I've got the following coming:

Cyberbots
Vampire Savior
Dynamite Deka (Die Hard Arcade)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
SDF Macross: DYRL
Last Bronx
Samurai Spirits (Shodown) 4
X-Men vs. Street Figther

This will take my new collection to just over 35 games in less than a month. Time to slow down big time. lol

Are there any major differences between the US die hard arcade and JP dynamite deka?

cj_iwakura

Personally I would never pay that kind of astronomical price for a shmup. An RPG or something with lots of hours of value, sure, but not a shmup.

Heck, Ikaruga Dreamcast only cost me $20. (Had no idea that was such a steal at the time.)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The viewing area on sides of the stage is available in game, and a widescreen CRT (or an XRGB) can show all the area in 'Arcade' resolution mode (which is an overscan option)

this is really interesting, i had no idea that is what was going on. it's been a while since i've played VS and Z3 on saturn - how is the sound quality? samurai spirits 4 was really muffled which ruined an otherwise good port for me.

D.Lo

this is really interesting, i had no idea that is what was going on. it's been a while since i've played VS and Z3 on saturn - how is the sound quality? samurai spirits 4 was really muffled which ruined an otherwise good port for me.
Not perfect, announcer is muffled if I remember correctly, but better than SS4. Z3's soundtrack is kind of bad imo anyway. Saturn has the best sound overall in SAZ1 and 2 though, love the remixed soundtracks!

Yes Boss!

Personally I would never pay that kind of astronomical price for a shmup. An RPG or something with lots of hours of value, sure, but not a shmup.

Heck, Ikaruga Dreamcast only cost me $20. (Had no idea that was such a steal at the time.)

A shmup fan is going to hours and hours of value out of it, though...probably even more than any of the RPGs for saturn.

I have SF Collection and the load times are really annoying. From what I remember it's not very accurate to the arcade either.
The Dreamcast import of Super Turbo (known as Hyper Street Fighter II X in Japan) is probably best home port.

As for SFA2G, the best home port would be the PS2 one on Alpha Anthology.

I can't recommend Saturn Street Fighter Collection unless you're, well, a collector.

I own it. It's okay. I can't vouch for arcade authenticity, since I'm not familiar enough with the source. Definitely are load times, but they never really bothered me that much.

Teknoman

I have SF Collection and the load times are really annoying. From what I remember it's not very accurate to the arcade either.
The Dreamcast import of Super Turbo (known as Hyper Street Fighter II X in Japan) is probably best home port.

I can't recommend Saturn Street Fighter Collection unless you're, well, a collector.

I own it. It's okay. I can't vouch for arcade authenticity, since I'm not familiar enough with the source. Definitely are load times, but they never really bothered me that much.

In that case, pass I guess. Thanks for the heads up on Hyper Street Fighter II X though.

Honestly, I bought it because I'd never had a Street Fighter game before, and I wanted a copy of Street Fighter 2 for my Saturn, but didn't have an AR at the time so importing Capcom Generations 5 was out of the question - so instead, I bought this off of eBay for $40 (which I realize was too much at the time; if I'd been more patient, I could've snagged it for cheaper), because, well, Super Street Fighter 2 isn't that far removed from SF2. I don't regret purchasing it, anyway.

The SEGA Saturn was by far my most favourite SEGA system.

It really disappointed me when it failed to really take off in its generation. It really was an amazing system with a great starting library, that, while slowed down, continued to get great games.

I ended up getting a PlayStation instead of a Saturn because of the way the industry was going at the time. But I was rooting for this system. It was definitely my favourite of the generation. In fact, I was ready and willing to jump ship from Nintendo to SEGA over the Saturn until the Sony PlayStation had won my favor. In fact, some of my favourite PlayStation games were SEGA Saturn ports like Grandia.

Is Street Fighter collection for the Saturn pretty good? The one with SSFII Turbo (only version outside 3DO?) and SFA2 Gold.
Check out this thread over at Racketboy. The SSF2T port is ass. No other way to put it.

SFA2G is good and contains some extras, making it a nice upgrade to Alpha 2. Alpha 2's arranged soundtrack is far superior though.

Flock

So this month I picked up my first japanese Saturn. (had a pal model but sold it years ago as well as all my games)

The first games I picked up were:

Shining Force 3
Dragon Force
Sonic Jam
Nights
Soukyugurentai
Super Puzzle Fighter IIX
Bomberman
Silhouette Mirage
(all NTSC-J)

Should be set for the time being I think and this will serve as nice base to start my collection from. Looking foward to getting all the quality shmups and 2D platformers on the system (eventually)

D.Lo

Once again, only if you like blur, tearing and artifacts. The PS2 could simply not display the correct resolution, and whoever coded the emulators was an amateur (the homebrew CPS2 Emulator on PSP is much, much better than this one). It's got heaps of extras but the meat of the package is bad.

Saturn is absolutely the best platform for all Zero games outside of a supergun.

Out of the the $100+ club of Saturn STGs, which ones are actually rare? I know Silvergun has a print run of at least 25,000 so it's not as rare as some of the others. Anyone know print runs for Hyper Duel, Garegga, etc?

Out of the the $100+ club of Saturn STGs, which ones are actually rare? I know Silvergun has a print run of at least 25,000 so it's not as rare as some of the others. Anyone know print runs for Hyper Duel, Garegga, etc?

Good Question. Taromaru had 7,500 copies, which makes it pretty rare. I think Hyper Duel had 15,000 or so, but unfortunately this is by memory. I cannot confirm it with a website or something.

Isnt it cheap now?

EDIT:...well I remember seeing it for cheap anyway.

Doesn't look that great though. I'm not interested in buying games just because they'll be rare at some point. If it's good and rare that's an entirely different story.

Speaking of games I'm trying to find, I can't find a complete US copy of Burning Rangers anywhere. I just lost another auction -- and was willing to go up to $160. I can't believe it's worth that much. Any ideas on where I can find a copy online? Help me Saturn GAF, you're my only hope.

EDIT: Just got lucky. I found a complete copy on half.com, and it's actually shipping from Chicago. Talk about extra cool. Since I live in Chicago, maybe I'll get it mid week!! For those curious, it was $150. Seems to be the asking price for it these days with manual and inserts. CRAZY!!!!

Top Bottom