• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

As far as sticks go, I have a PS -> Saturn controller converter so I can use my HRAP2. My import Saturn Virtua Stick (Seimitsu LS-56 model) was fine for a while, but now it's on the fritz. I can't see myself ever ponying up for that HSS-0130 2-player control panel any time soon either. The converter was a cheap way to get my existing arcade-spec stick working with my Saturn.

Shit! Well, that's why I have a US Christmas Nights disc in a JP Christmas Nights case. LOL. Any other differences?
AFAIK, no. I don't have a Japanese copy to compare :U

As far as sticks go, I have an official Japanese Sega eight-button stick... but I'm not that big on it; seems like some of the buttons kinda get "stuck" when I push them down. Like, not stuck on, always firing, just... physically don't come up all the way. It's kinda disconcerting.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
As far as sticks go, I have a PS -> Saturn controller converter so I can use my HRAP2. My import Saturn Virtua Stick (Seimitsu LS-56 model) was fine for a while, but now it's on the fritz. I can't see myself ever ponying up for that HSS-0130 2-player control panel any time soon either. The converter was a cheap way to get my existing arcade-spec stick working with my Saturn.

Yeah I actually use the Tototek PS -> Saturn converter. I've run into a problem where R2 doesn't register, so sticks that use R2 as a face button (such as the famous Namco PS1 stick) have a useless Roundhouse button. Hori VF4 stick in the mail so that should be fun.

Yeah I actually use the Tototek PS -> Saturn converter. I've run into a problem where R2 doesn't register, so sticks that use R2 as a face button (such as the famous Namco PS1 stick) have a useless Roundhouse button. Hori VF4 stick in the mail so that should be fun.

The Tototek PS to Saturn mapping is really strange.

The problem I always ran into was that some Capcom fighting games that won't allow you to map the Saturn controller's L or R buttons to a normal move. Vampire Savior specifically does this. I cannot map Roundhouse to R2. Not really a fault of the Tototek, but it forces me to play on a pad when I have a perfectly good $150 arcade stick.

Well it's that or multi-console mod the stick or open it up and re-arrange things until I have a configuration that the game likes... fucking up the my stick's configuration for ever other game/console.

/rant

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The Tototek PS to Saturn mapping is really strange.

The problem I always ran into was that some Capcom fighting games that won't allow you to map the Saturn controller's L or R buttons to a normal move. Vampire Savior specifically does this. I cannot map Roundhouse to R2. Not really a fault of the Tototek, but it forces me to play on a pad when I have a perfectly good $150 arcade stick.

Well it's that or multi-console mod the stick or open it up and re-arrange things until I have a configuration that the game likes... fucking up the my stick's configuration for ever other game/console.

/rant

I ripped out the Namco PCB and am currently modding the PS1 stick full Sanwa with a Saturn padhack. Solves that problem! Haven't touched the project in months though as I have to desolder some stuff and I really don't want to.

I think the Tekken 4 stick uses L1 and R1 as face buttons instead of R1 and R2. You can buy one for I think $60 on toysnjoys.

Eh, I'm leaving it the way it is for now. Eventually I'll get a board from Toodles or something, make a bunch of console cables, and be done with it.

It's an HRAP 2 SA. If I start tearing it apart, it's gotta' be for a big reason.

Oh, and I'm not buying any more arcade sticks. I tried having a collection once and I just don't have the space for it. One and done for me.

Hightower

Banned
Yeah, arcade sticks are a BITCH to find for the Saturn.

I'm sticking to my pads for now.. until I can find a deal on an 8 button stick. A majority of my fighters are Capcom 6-Button.

I finished Burning Rangers yesterday. Man, what were they smoking?
I'd been replaying it for the LP Saturn Classics in 2013 thread. Only replayed the first stage, but it's a lot clunkier than I recall it being. I kinda wish they'd revisit the concept on a console that could more easily handle it (because this framerate is abysmal), but with a more modern camera and some changes to the control scheme (such as rebinding the "dash" moves away from the jump button and onto their own, and removing the OoT-style auto-jumping that's in there in addition to a manual jump button that sends you much higher). It's a fun concept, especially with the randomized levels, but there's a lot of jank that needs ironing out, in comparison to something like NiGHTS.

And yes, the final boss is kinda weird, from what I recall of it.

Teknoman

Kinda wish retro_console_accessories seller on ebay would at least update the away status on her page. Said she would return March 12...and its the 18th with the same message up.

lol I just want my SCART with RCA audio out NTSC Saturn cables. Feel like some kinda e-stalker since i've been checking every day or so, especially with the low amount of cables/ high amount of watch listers.

Kinda wish retro_console_accessories seller on ebay would at least update the away status on her page. Said she would return March 12...and its the 18th with the same message up.

lol I just want my SCART with RCA audio out NTSC Saturn cables.

I'll have to look, but I might have a spare one to sell. It doesn't have the separate RCA audio breakouts though.

Teknoman

I'm just aiming for those since I dont have any other audio passthrough for a scart converter. Genesis is no big deal (still waiting on those cables, but they are on their way) since im using the headphone port for stereo.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
yesss. my greatest saturn acquisition yet. today is a good day.

img_00022ajm9.jpg

the lack of mariandel on the cover is upsetting..

cj_iwakura

¥6000, which is a lot better than I was expecting. It's not actually as rare as you'd believe.

Can't wait to get started on Dramatic for the first time. My only experience is 4+5.

I didn't see the yen symbol and freaked out for a moment.

That's pretty great, I've only played Langrisser OG(the Genesis/MD one) and some of II.

So, I've sold a bunch of old stuff and have some extra cash to pick up some more saturn stuff. What the hell is going on? Panzer Dragoon Saga and Hyper Duel are now $400 on eBay? What planet am I on? Fuck this.

Sushigod7

So, I've sold a bunch of old stuff and have some extra cash to pick up some more saturn stuff. What the hell is going on? Panzer Dragoon Saga and Hyper Duel are now $400 on eBay? What planet am I on? Fuck this.

lol yeah was thinking about getting into some Saturn stuff found some games that really looked interesting and I never owned one. The game prices a little steep. Radiant Silvergun is another one that even at $100 is a little to much. ughh

Hightower

Banned

Time + already rare + sustained demand = rising prices.

As I said earlier.. time is NOT the retro gamers friend.

Not sure about PDS but a quick completed eBay auctions search for Hyper Duel shows the price hovering around $200. The price does appear to be going up, but not significantly enough to be alarmed.

Not sure about PDS but a quick completed eBay auctions search for Hyper Duel shows the price hovering around $200. The price does appear to be going up, but not significantly enough to be alarmed.

One sold for well above $200 last year and I thought I was jacked. But then a Japanese shop listed like 10 at $200 and all was well. Hopefully the same thing will happen again.

Sometimes it's hard to keep on top of which old games are starting to go up. There's a bunch of games I have in the back of my mind as "could have someday", and I just kind of hope they aren't spiking without me knowing.

Yeah, I'm debating what overly-priced titles I should jump on before the prices spike further. Dragon Force? Earthbound? Xenoblade? Decisions, decisions...

Hightower

Banned
I really want to get my hands on Street Fighter Zero 3... but damn that $100 price tag sucks.

Such a GOOD translation. Why must it be so rare?!?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I figure Alpha Anthology would be the preferred format on that front these days anyway. All the Saturn version has going for itself is Reverse Dramatic Battle, which is also on the PSP version.

I figure Alpha Anthology would be the preferred format on that front these days anyway. All the Saturn version has going for itself is Reverse Dramatic Battle, which is also on the PSP version.

Alpha Anthology is scaled to 480i and looks blurry over component on my SD Trinitron CRT, even with the blur filter off. Zero 3 on Saturn looks so damn hot in 240p RGB transcoded to component. Much crisper. I prefer the Saturn version 'cuz I'm a graphics whore.

I had no idea it was going for $100. I totally lucked out when I bought mine.

I'm just aiming for those since I dont have any other audio passthrough for a scart converter. Genesis is no big deal (still waiting on those cables, but they are on their way) since im using the headphone port for stereo.

I feel your pain on that. I have 3 sets of them without the RCA breakouts. I have the switchbox, and the SCART to YUV converter.. then I realized I forgot to order a male to male SCART cable, argh!

Yeah, especially since it's only like 12 hours long; $33.333... dollars per hour now as opposed to the $13.333... I paid for (and I thought it was absurdly priced then).

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I got a copy on release. I remember my brother and I saved up and got that, Magic Knight Rayearth and some other late term saturn game, it was the last hurrah of the saturn for us, and it was AMAZING.

I am a little scared to return, I am worried it will look really dated.

Hightower

Banned
I'll never be a big enough SF player to tell the difference between that and SFA3 for Dreamcast.

Animation. There's a serious difference in the frames of animation. As well as the characters are scaled down in the Dreamcast version.

To this day, the Saturn version is the closest to the arcade out of any version released.... including possibly the Alpha Anthology

to expand on that "equation"

Sat = CPS2 port
PSX = watered down CPS2 port; missing animation frames, smaller character sprites
DC = port of the PSX version, 3 player Dramatic Battle Mode
SFA3 Upper = arcade version of the DC port, pretty much made all hidden characters already availilbe
GBA = watered down port of Upper added Yin (or was that Yang?) & Maki

CPS2 board = Sat > DC = SFA 3upper > PSX > GBA

Valkyria

Banned
I have tried really hard to get into Fighters megamix, but it doesn't kick in with me. I don't know, I'm not having fun. I played a lot to VF4 on Ps2, maybe it's outdated to me.

Teknoman

Animation. There's a serious difference in the frames of animation. As well as the characters are scaled down in the Dreamcast version.

To this day, the Saturn version is the closest to the arcade out of any version released.... including possibly the Alpha Anthology

to expand on that "equation"

Sat = CPS2 port
PSX = watered down CPS2 port; missing animation frames, smaller character sprites
DC = port of the PSX version, 3 player Dramatic Battle Mode
SFA3 Upper = arcade version of the DC port, pretty much made all hidden characters already availilbe
GBA = watered down port of Upper added Yin (or was that Yang?) & Maki

CPS2 board = Sat > DC = SFA 3upper > PSX > GBA

I've got one of the best Saturn prizes...Resident Evil!

Adding SFA 3 to the list then. Yeah, playing RE1 on Saturn just feels strange in a good way, especially if you've never played the original version of the first game. I've gotta get used to managing items properly again.

I really want to get my hands on Street Fighter Zero 3... but damn that $100 price tag sucks.

Such a GOOD translation. Why must it be so rare?!?

Is that version better or different from the Dreamcast version? I'm debating getting the Saturn one, but already have it on DC.

Hightower

Banned
Is that version better or different from the Dreamcast version? I'm debating getting the Saturn one, but already have it on DC.

It's much better than the DC version.

The DC version is actually a PORT of the PS1 version.

The characters are smaller, the animation is not as smooth

Adding SFA 3 to the list then. Yeah, playing RE1 on Saturn just feels strange in a good way, especially if you've never played the original version of the first game. I've gotta get used to managing items properly again.
Presumably it doesn't have this. That's not a bad thing to lack.

As Hightower just explained, there are missing animation frames in the DC version but not the Saturn.

Did SFZ3 Saturn come in a non-bundle version? I remember that there were a few RAM cart games that never got a non-bundle release (Waku Waku 7, maybe?).

Noahd42

Banned
I got a copy on release. I remember my brother and I saved up and got that, Magic Knight Rayearth and some other late term saturn game, it was the last hurrah of the saturn for us, and it was AMAZING.

I am a little scared to return, I am worried it will look really dated.

I played Panzer Dragoon Saga for the first time after picking up a copy in 2006 or 2007, it didn't look too dated then. The mechanics and story hold up really well. I remember being completely enthralled in the game from start to finish.

It definitely does look dated, though. Most 3D from that era does.

It doesn't particularly bother me, mind, and it's only really bad during the on-foot segments; the flight segments, including all the game's battles, still look pretty good for ancient 3D hardware.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
It definitely does look dated, though. Most 3D from that era does.

It doesn't particularly bother me, mind, and it's only really bad during the on-foot segments; the flight segments, including all the game's battles, still look pretty good for ancient 3D hardware.

Glad to hear! I think I will load up my copy.

Top Bottom