• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Teknoman

People should mention Kingdom Grand Prix more often. Game arrived today, just got around to popping it in and man.

Racing game X Shoot em up is pure genius.

People should mention Kingdom Grand Prix more often. Game arrived today, just got around to popping it in and man.

Racing game X Shoot em up is pure genius.

I've tried to enjoy it several times but it just doesn't gel for me. I always end up turning the racing off. It's a neat idea though.

IrishNinja

picked up Legend of Oasis & Dark Savior for $40, feel good about that one. bummed that I keep missing cheaper copies of Die Hard Arcade & Three Dirty Dwarves (really fun now that i got a chance to play it!), but they won't elude me forever.

today should bring one package with Clockwork Knight 1 & 2, and hopefully another with Fighter's Megamix, Alpa 2 & Shining: The Holy Ark, taking at least one RPG off the expensive end of the list, if it pans out. i caught Sega Ages & a few others, as well as recent auctions for Dragon Force (ended up @ $70 after the seller refunded a bit for not having the RAM sticker), and Sonic Jam which should be about $45 once my ebay bucks cash in today.

Panzer Saga at $200 seems a distant goal at the moment; god knows if i could turn this $150 best buy gift card towards it i'd prolly bite at $250, and i was recently offered Saturn Bomberman + Albert Odyssey for $200 which strikes me as fucking high/ebay prices, so prolly gonna pass on that...seller wants $85 just for Albert which seems to be close to what it goes for, honestly not sure if that's much of a deal right now. Shining Force III at leas than $100 & Rayearth at @ $125 are also gonna take some searching, especially including inserts/etc. gonna try to space these out & be patient, hoping for the best! if 2 kids caught Burning Rangers last month for $20, anything can happen.

IrishNinja

i mean, ive heard that about it, but...ive got a fondness for WD RPG's, and the hour or so i played that one seemed interesting. i'm not expecting Lunar 2 here, kinda gave me more like a B tier SNES JRPG with better music/voice etc. i genuinely want to play it.

but you're right, that's not a great price and i'm not on forums to catch ebay deals, so dude can go fly a kite, hopefully i can manage better in a bundle some other time. Likewise, i spent about a half hour with Rayearth and it seemed appealing but there's not many games i'm willing to go $150 on (PDS seems to warrant the price for many, and ive heard about it as the saturn's FF VII/swan song for too many years now honestly).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Debating on whether good games are "worth" $200+ prices or not is an exercise in futility.

I can't really find much of anything bad to say about PDS (other than crude 3D visuals that you just kind of have to accept for games of that era), and I'm not really an RPG guy in the first place, so I'm pretty comfortable with endorsing it. On the other hand, it's for-sure going on my for-sale list when I finally clear out my Saturn backlog and determine which other games in my collection are expendable, simply because my days of hoarding RPGs that I'll never dust off for another playthrough are behind me now.

tuffy

The funny thing is that after Dragon Force was a big sales success, fans were clamoring for Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete to be brought over next. But Working Designs just said "fuck it, we're doing Albert Odyssey". Never could figure that one out.

The funny thing is that after Dragon Force was a big sales success, fans were clamoring for Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete to be brought over next. But Working Designs just said "fuck it, we're doing Albert Odyssey". Never could figure that one out.

Lol, I feel that same attitude exists with vireland's new company localizing shit like Class of Heroes 2 on PSP instead of stuff like 7th Dragon series and Grand Knight's History.

When it comes down to it it's probably just cost vs ROI though, and I doubt there's any malicious intent lol.

We probably would have gotten Lunar SSSC too if he hadn't canned all in-progress-but-not-announced Saturn games at E3 '97 because of Bernie Stolar killing the system off and treating him badly.

Also, hasn't he said that Albert Odyssey was kind of a mistake (ie, not the best choice for localization)?

Exr

I grabbed Dragon Force in Japan for cheap but I can't read a lick of Japanese...is the game at all playable with some sort of online translation guide?

Teknoman

I grabbed Dragon Force in Japan for cheap but I can't read a lick of Japanese...is the game at all playable with some sort of online translation guide?

I'd say so, but then again, I feel like there is alot to take in for the english version. Of course I dont have the manual, so maybe not?

IrishNinja

really wish i knew what other saturn games WD had lined up - any guesses past Lunar? i guess the stuff PSX got is likely a safe bet?

ss_lemonade

I remember that game having a ton of text and menus so I don't know how you would do with a guide

really wish i knew what other saturn games WD had lined up - any guesses past Lunar? i guess the stuff PSX got is likely a safe bet?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17557062&postcount=94
Here he says it was Lunar SSSC, Hyper Duel, Blast Wind, and the two Thunder Force Gold Packs.

In other threads though, some other stuff was also mentioned:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31218
Here it says:

-Lunar SSSC
-Sakura Taisen
-Super Shooter Pack - Soukyugurentai + Sengoku Blade + Hyper Duel
-Thunder Force Gold Pack 1 + 2
-Thunder Force V

And here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36144115&postcount=17 he says a third thing:

Technosoft - Hyper Duel + Blast Wind + Thunder Force Gold Packs collection

cj_iwakura

AO is a solid game. Amazing music, good story, fun combat. It's not amazing A+++ like Dragon Force, but not every game is.

cj_iwakura

Here you go.

I'm playing it in Japanese on the PSN/PS2 version, but I've beaten it like 10 times. Without that knowledge, it can be TOUGH, but doable.

You are missing out, though. The localization was stellar.

IrishNinja

CJ i know ive asked this here but what about Saturn Bomberman, are the modes you lose with the import worth it? cause damn is the US one expensive

Sixfortyfive

CJ i know ive asked this here but what about Saturn Bomberman, are the modes you lose with the import worth it? cause damn is the US one expensive
The JP version is missing Netlink support and 25% of the battle stages. I'd be surprised of more than a dozen people on the planet still cared about Saturn dial-up netplay, and I don't think the cut content is really a deal-breaker unless you're a Bomberman nut like I am.

The PAL version has all of the stages, but I haven't checked to see if it runs at the proper speed or not.

Teknoman

Late, but WD was going to bring over Hyper Duel?!

In some alternate universe, NA Hyper Duel is the expensive one, while people import the JP version for 35 dollars :(

Ms. Tea

Quick question for anyone who might know: I briefly tried messing with SSF today and things went pretty well for the most part. It was about to handle running both US and JP games off disc just fine.

Only issue is, as seen in this gameplay clip I recorded, there are these lines that keep showing up and are really annoying. I can post my settings if necessary, but has anyone else encountered anything like this and know what might need to be fixed?

Yeah, I was having the same issue with Christmas Nights - dropping back a release or two fixed it.

Dang, Hyperduel, Soukyugurentai, and TF Goldpacks were in the works to come over from WD? That's crazy, never knew that. I own Souky and play TF games on Genny so no huge losses there, but imagine a cheap way to get Hyperduel, wow.

Me said:
Anyone in here own the official wireless Saturn controllers? Was wondering how reliable they are and if they're worth splurging on.

Just last month, I mistakenly confused one Sega Saturn game for another and made an unintentional purchase!

So I wanted to play some Bomberman games after reading through this thread, which led me to buy a game that I thought was the fan-favorite Saturn Bomberman. It turns out the game I bought is called Saturn Bomberman Fight!!, a sequel to the game I intended to play. I feel pretty silly about buying the wrong game, but I thought I'd give it a try.

From what I've played, Saturn Bomberman Fight!! is...actually somewhat hard to explain. Instead of navigating through stages blasting away obstacles and enemies, each arena has only one enemy to fight. I suppose it can be likened to a boss rush mode with an emphasis on multiplayer. The objective is to defeat your opponent by draining their life bar, and there are all sorts of wacky items that can help or hinder your goal. It doesn't take long for the arena to become a mess of chaotic happenings.

Each stage is presented with an isometric view, which I honestly think complicates the gameplay a little. It's hard to tell what is going on sometimes, and even harder to react. It looks pretty cool though, with colorful artwork, cute polygonal characters, and cool explosion effects. An interesting game to be sure, but certainly not what was expecting!

I also played a bit of Astal tonight. It's pretty fun, and its visuals and music are very impressive so far. The song that plays on stage 2 is great!

Astal himself has some neat attacks and animations, and the helper character adds another good dynamic to the action. I look forward to playing more of this game.

cj_iwakura

It's easy to forget, but Atlus showed the Saturn a lot of exclusive love too, at least for a little while. Devil Summoner & Soul Hackers came out for it first.

I played some Devil Summoner earlier. A janky game, but it has a solid story, and... well, as old-school SMT games go, you could do worse.

Great music, too.

i mean, ive heard that about it, but...ive got a fondness for WD RPG's, and the hour or so i played that one seemed interesting. i'm not expecting Lunar 2 here, kinda gave me more like a B tier SNES JRPG with better music/voice etc. i genuinely want to play it.

but you're right, that's not a great price and i'm not on forums to catch ebay deals, so dude can go fly a kite, hopefully i can manage better in a bundle some other time. Likewise, i spent about a half hour with Rayearth and it seemed appealing but there's not many games i'm willing to go $150 on (PDS seems to warrant the price for many, and ive heard about it as the saturn's FF VII/swan song for too many years now honestly).

Yeah, no...I like Albert Odyssey, myself, but its not worth that. i could see maybe spending $75 for it at most, and that's only because of Saturn price inflation (I just looked at ebay and amazon...there was a time you could get that game for $25, $40 in case...smh).

IrishNinja

brought my list down a bit - hit-japan (ebay seller) has a 15% off sale going, and takes offers on nearly everything. dude doesn't bargain; if you offer like half, you get declined; offer 60-70% and he tends to accept. worked with me bundling the shipping together too & ended up almost half as much as the original quote...i'm sure i won't see that stuff for a few weeks but i'm still pretty hyped!

MKR, PDS, SFIII, AO and such are gonna be tricky...even the discover reward money i get that amazon takes doesnt help because of the markup there (those titles are often tehre for the price i want, but only loose). gonna keep digging!

goddamn, Meguro never disappoints

Yeah, no...I like Albert Odyssey, myself, but its not worth that. i could see maybe spending $75 for it at most, and that's only because of Saturn price inflation (I just looked at ebay and amazon...there was a time you could get that game for $25, $40 in case...smh).

you're killing me here
really hoping it's a bubble but part of me worries that as that gen gets further, these lower-printed games aren't gonna go back down...although i do expect some stuff to level off; even if copies of Panzer Saga can net $350 sometimes on ebay i don't expect too much trouble catching mine for about $100 or less, if not more. i just gotta keep lookin'

cj_iwakura

Also, you get your guns in style.

naT1vLG.gif

It's easy to forget, but Atlus showed the Saturn a lot of exclusive love too, at least for a little while. Devil Summoner & Soul Hackers came out for it first.

I played some Devil Summoner earlier. A janky game, but it has a solid story, and... well, as old-school SMT games go, you could do worse.

Great music, too.

This song is real smooth. I haven't played these Shin Megami Tensei games, but I do like their sense of style.

IrishNinja

man, i'dve bought one of those Neptunes, too. I love my genesis but the 32X is all kinds've trouble, would've been more convenient i think

man, i'dve bought one of those Neptunes, too. I love my genesis but the 32X is all kinds've trouble, would've been more convenient i think

The absolute best would have been if the Saturn had supported Mega Drive/32X games in it's cartridge slot and Mega CD games in the cd-rom!

Someone should sell Neptune shells. I've seen 32X modded into Gen 2 shells, so I'm sure it would fit and you could make your own makeshift one, lol.

I actually never have played with a 32X before, but does it accept Mega Drive cartridges into it, or do you need to remove it, then insert the Mega Drive games straight into the original console?

Wereroku

What modes were removed I have the game so I can try them out. Also I really enjoyed Albert Odyssey but its price has gotten inflated to crazy ranges. Now MKR is an excellent game even if you should only ever use Fuu but I can't imagine the prices that gets to since those stickers are so tempting to put on stuff I am lucky enough to have bought it new and not messed with them.

I actually never have played with a 32X before, but does it accept Mega Drive cartridges into it, or do you need to remove it, then insert the Mega Drive games straight into the original console?
You can just put the MD games into the 32x sadly it doesn't improve anything so it is solely for ease of use.

Yeah, it has a pass-through mode. IIRC the only Genesis game that doesn't work properly is Virtua Racing, but there's a better version of that game on 32X anyway.

sarcoa

Somebody posted this on Reddit, thought I'd share:

http://segaretro.org/images/8/89/STCNeptune.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
No idea how that Neptune shell made it out of Sega, but the Classic Gaming Expo guys always have it in their setup.

Here's a snap I got at E3 2012

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7310/11800037335_7a3e7e2f74_z.jpg

IrishNinja

man i would find shelf space for a Neptune mock-up like that, damn

What modes were removed I have the game so I can try them out. Also I really enjoyed Albert Odyssey but its price has gotten inflated to crazy ranges. Now MKR is an excellent game even if you should only ever use Fuu but I can't imagine the prices that gets to since those stickers are so tempting to put on stuff I am lucky enough to have bought it new and not messed with them.

yeah, i almost bit at $88 or so on Albert but got talked out of it here; gonna hold out for something better since i'm in no hurry, and honestly since i just got Dragon Force without it, id like one of my WD titles to have that insert of their merchandise, even if i am just gonna drool over it & drunkenly message Vic here @ GAF about it.

MKR looks awesome, it goes for like $150 but ive seen it around $125 complete once in a while (it seems on the rise again lately but its hard to tell), at this point the closer i can get to $100 with said stickers id prolly just pick it up & be done with it...some stuff is getting really jacked up, like Shining Force 3 < $100 is getting trickier too.

Saturn prices are not coming back to Earth (pun intended). At least not for premium items like the Working Designs releases. Heck, even Sega Ages sells for a pretty penny. I got MKR with the stickers and all in MINT condition last February for $150. Minty fresh like it is, I could spin it no problem for $200 but I won't do it (third time I have gotten the game over the years, lol). If you spot a very clean/complete one for $150, you should go for it.

I have been searching info regarding compatibility problems with King of Fighters '96 and Samurai Spirits IV (stand alone version - not the twin pack including SS III) when using the AR 4 in 1 cart but couldn't find a definitive answer. So I'm asking here: are there or aren't there graphical glitches when using the Action Replay cart for booting those two games on a US Saturn? (FYI, I have an all black AR+ cart purchased from the UK last summer/fall).

Sixfortyfive

The only KOF-related compatibility issues I'm familiar with are those related to the KOF95 specific ROM cartridge.

I've also heard of issues where certain early models of the PAR w/ 4MB RAM don't function correctly with games that expect a 1MB RAM cartridge to be present. Supposedly the later revisions of the PAR that can switch between 1MB/4MB modes avoid this issue. I believe the presence of this function is what separates the "Pro Action Replay 4-in-1 Plus" from the standard "Pro Action Replay 4-in-1," but I'm not 100% sure.

I was shocked to see how much Sega AGES was going for. I sold mine for about $100, and while it was tough to part with since it was one of my best gaming pickups ever at an old local store called Replay, it was easy to justify since it was so much money and I'd rather sell it than it wind up getting broken during a move or stolen or something like that.

Top Bottom