• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I think im going to start putting aside money every so often for Hyper Duel and Blast Wind.
I got Hyper Duel for $215 and Blast Wind for $150 this year.

Blast Wind is absolutely pristine. Those Japanese sellers are amazing. As for Hyper Duel, it was kind of a gamble as the seller only had a generic photo. I knew it included the spine card though (I need the spine card for Saturn games), but was pleasantly surprised when I saw the survey card tucked in. Whole thing was clean too, but not as minty as BW.

Seik

Banned
I think im going to start putting aside money every so often for Hyper Duel and Blast Wind.

I know nothing about Blast Wind, but as a Hyper Duel owner, it is on hell of a good, solid SHMUP experience. :D

Thinking about it, we should have someone to design some kind of t-shirt for the YOTS. While we're at it, we need some YOTS Hyper Duel's Owners Elite GAF Club shirts too!

Mzo

(only US one i saw that looked neat was the "HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM SEGA" one, but then some of those say sampler, when i thought it was all just one level anyway?).

US Christmas NiGHTS came in a cardboard sleeve. It was both given out for free inside some magazine or other and also given out for free at some retailers. You just had to walk up to the desk and take one, boop.

cj_iwakura

US Christmas NiGHTS came in a cardboard sleeve. It was both given out for free inside some magazine or other and also given out for free at some retailers. You just had to walk up to the desk and take one, boop.

Got mine at Blockbuster Video.

Seik

Banned
Aw shit, I'm actually browsing Ebay for some games...

That's never a good sign for my wallet...This thread I created is a monster. D:

EDIT: That said, I can't believe it's already been almost 2 year since this thread is born and still going. Time goes on so fast, you guys are awesome! Let's give the Saturn even more love for 2014!

I know nothing about Blast Wind, but as a Hyper Duel owner, it is on hell of a good, solid SHMUP experience. :D
Blast Wind gets a bad rap for the muted OST (sound effects are too loud... a shame as that OST is Tecnosoft's best along with Hyper Duel and TFV/III) but especially it's difficulty level. As an overall pretty mediocre player, I have a great time with the game. It's incredibly fun, but short. No regrets at all (it blows Thunder Force V out of the water as far as I am concerned and is my third favourite shooter on the Saturn following Radiant Silvergun (the apex of the genre IMO - hate all you want, lol) and the aforementioned Hyper Duel).

IrishNinja

nice...i wanna say i remember seeing these in the day but was still pretty sour grapes about not affording a saturn.

also meant to ask you earlier: any differences you/others know between US & JP saturn bomberman? shit's expensive and i don't know how much i'd be missing out going with the import at this point...god knows i wanna get like 2 multi adapters one day just so we can all play an insane 10 player game

JP SS Bomberman is just da bomb. Additional areas are not worth it so need for the expensive US one.

Just figuring out the options in the battle mode will be a challenge but easy to learn.

Soccer field with revenge mode ( planes) is soo fun with over 8 players.

Regular battle arena is the only one available for 16 souls. but what a feast.

cj_iwakura

You know what would be an awesome idea? A communal rental of PGS. We all know the game costs $texas and not everyone wants to shell out for it. Someone here who owns it and isn't going to play it for a while could send it to a GAFer, they finish it, pass it along.

Mikhal

nice...i wanna say i remember seeing these in the day but was still pretty sour grapes about not affording a saturn.

also meant to ask you earlier: any differences you/others know between US & JP saturn bomberman? shit's expensive and i don't know how much i'd be missing out going with the import at this point...god knows i wanna get like 2 multi adapters one day just so we can all play an insane 10 player game

sixfortyfive confirmed some missing things in the JP version earlier.

I went ahead and confirmed this. The original JP release is missing 25% of the total stages (24 normal stages + 3 wide stages vs. the US version's 32 normal stages + 4 wide stages). Those that are there seem to match their counterparts across all versions though. PAL version has everything. The US version still doesn't work on SSF.

No idea about the updated JP version though.

Well, I tested my Saturn Bomberman for Seganet on SSF. The results are disappointing. Game booted up fine, it asked me whether I want to use the System or Cartridge RAM, then it loads me straight to this:

00000001.png

Not what I expected at all. DBZ Bomberman?! Turns out the game is called Niko Bomb Pic '96. Was this in the other versions of Saturn Bomberman?

The main game is inaccessible without net access according to Segagaga Domain. Since the servers are no more, I bought 2 multitaps for nothing and will now have to find another version of Saturn Bomberman. :(

Video: http://www.segagagadomain.com/movie-pages2/satbomber-online.htm

SpotAnime

Yup, I got mine with Next Generation magazine. I remember this issue being pretty hard to get with it being in such demand.

Lettuce

How do i get games to display in 4:3 ratio when making them fullscreen, as at the moment they are super widescreen mode , i have tried the relative options in the graphics tab but nothing seem to help

IrishNinja

okay, assuming it plays well it sounds like PAL bomberman (unless its priced in the ballpark of US) is the one to go with!

also, today was the first actual Saturn listing ive seen in my city for months:

talked him into $80, mainly wanted Guardian Heroes (Sonic R has a neat OST anyway) but i now have a boxed Saturn, that's pretty cool!

goldenpp72

okay, assuming it plays well it sounds like PAL bomberman (unless its priced in the ballpark of US) is the one to go with!

talked him into $80, mainly wanted Guardian Heroes (Sonic R has a neat OST anyway) but i now have a boxed Saturn, that's pretty cool!

Unless i'm wrong Guardian heroes is worth that alone so good job :)

Gunsmithx

Ok, so I finally broke down and got me a Saturn. local yard sale had an old blockbuster rental unit(wanted the case) with some games and a few controllers. Anyway I took it by Irish's place to test out and while we can get it working with composite cables we couldn't get it to work with his rgb set up.

What we were wondering was is there a difference in models? Mine's a model 1 and his is a model 2 with the euroscart cables into a framemister. Would I need different scart cables or is my unit's rgb borked? Thanks for any help, trying to see if I need to back to the guy I bought it from to get my money back.

IrishNinja

^that was my thought process too, goldenpp72!

@ Gunsmith did you ask in the RGB/upscaler thread? might get a quicker answer there

Mikhal

That looks like the Master Mode included in the US/PAL version.

Same one then. It's called Master Game in the manual. Ah well. Guess the US/Euro Saturn version is the one to get then if this is all the Seganet one has to offer...

Sweet deal. What's with the Classic Game Room sticker? Did it come with it?

IrishNinja

^nah my girl was gonna get me a birthday present (it's next month) and i mentioned how i wanted these beer mugs CGR sells & how they might need the $ this month after leaving YT, so she got em & Mark tossed that sticker in there, autographed & everything! love that dude, i think i'm gonna plaster it on my 8-track rack holding 2600 carts soon cause he'd want that.

Quick question, I have a Model 1 US Saturn, how hard would it be to say, take the case from a dead Japanese Model 1 and do a case swap? The Japanese M1 is dead sexy, and I think it would definitely be cool. Are all the screws in the same position and such?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Quick question, I have a Model 1 US Saturn, how hard would it be to say, take the case from a dead Japanese Model 1 and do a case swap? The Japanese M1 is dead sexy, and I think it would definitely be cool. Are all the screws in the same position and such?

Why bother with a case swap? Just play on the Japanese unit instead? Saturns are region free for a mere $26.

IrishNinja

^i think his question is an aesthetic one, though; as someone who always wanted a dead Yakuza 3 PS3 to swap cases i understand this insanity

Gunsmithx

^i think his question is an aesthetic one, though; as someone who always wanted a dead Yakuza 3 PS3 to swap cases i understand this insanity

also maybe a cost issue? Buying a dead jpn saturn should be cheaper then a working one. Though if you could get one for the right price then the action replay idea would work fine.

Pretty much, the Model 1 Japanese Sat is gorgeous, if I could find a dead one where the shipping didn't suck, that would be great. I have a US Saturn, so I don't necessarily NEED a Japanese one, just that glorious, glorious case.

Does anyone know if modding a V-Saturn is the same as a Model 1? Sega Retro says that the internals are different.

I am also very pissed of at Brazil, they got a Skeleton Saturn release over there.

Bastards

Teknoman

Christmas-Nights-nightopia-8090702-640-480.jpg

Merry Christmas SaturnGAF. There is nothing better than playing Christmas Nights on Christmas Day.

Yup. Also Irish, nothing to worry about with the JP version of Christmas Nights. I ordered it a while ago, and apparently it was in the mailbox from yesterday. The only big difference is that the karaoke modes have japanese lyrics? Honestly I havent seen anything different in game since all the menus are in english.

IrishNinja

^yeah, played the english one this morning - perfect feel, i love holiday games! just gotta unlock more gifts & get sonic now...

Mikhal

Yup. Also Irish, nothing to worry about with the JP version of Christmas Nights. I ordered it a while ago, and apparently it was in the mailbox from yesterday. The only big difference is that the karaoke modes have japanese lyrics? Honestly I havent seen anything different in game since all the menus are in english.

I fired up JP Christmas NiGHTS also for Christmas. The karaoke lyrics are English. Only difference I see so far is the opening and ending cinemas are voiced in Japanese.

Ms. Tea

Merry Christmas, Saturn-GAF!

I was up late playing Christmas Nights last night, and caught a glimpse of Segata Santashiro delivering presents to all the good Saturn players out there:

M43mKFi.jpg

I've been playing this game yearly for 13 years and I'd never seen that before!

IrishNinja

just saw the full ending of Christmas NiGHTS with the acapella song...wow, Sega really was something special to do this free for its fans, just for the holidays. i remember thinking that when i saw the discs at EB in the day, but seeing all the stuff they loaded it up with...man i keep reading all these retrospectives with sound logical arguments about how bad they were at business decisions, but - i wish we had more companies now that were bad in this unique way, if that makes sense. nobody does stuff like this. it feels absolutely magical.

just saw the full ending of Christmas NiGHTS with the acapella song...wow, Sega really was something special to do this free for its fans, just for the holidays. i remember thinking that when i saw the discs at EB in the day, but seeing all the stuff they loaded it up with...man i keep reading all these retrospectives with sound logical arguments about how bad they were at business decisions, but - i wish we had more companies now that were bad in this unique way, if that makes sense. nobody does stuff like this. it feels absolutely magical.

Yeah, just ran through it, finished right at midnight. Perfect timing. Hell of a fan disc. So very cool. Was fun playing it again after a decade and a half.

Teknoman

Crap, 2 minutes before midnight CST. Can you still earn presents when Christmas Nights turns into...whatever it does 12/26? I know there is a New Year version, but i'm not one to mess around with my clock just for features. I like to find them naturally.

I decided to play my copy of Christmas NiGHTS after reading this. I had to adjust my Saturn's clock, though, since it was set to January.

It's like you said...Christmas NiGHTS is a wonderful experience. It plays like a dream, and I found myself falling in love with the atmosphere and music all over again. I've been playing a lot of new games lately, but I really enjoy going back and replaying these classics.

Next up on my to-play list is Astal. I bought it a couple months ago after seeing it on an episode of Game Sack. I've been distracted by a bunch of other games, but I think I'll play it soon.

Teknoman

Apparently you can still earn presents even after Christmas, and if you want to play the Christmas version after, you dont have to change the clock. Just go to presents and click on the bottom right box.

IrishNinja

bish was asking a pretty good question the other day: should we do separate #YearoftheSaturn threads for each month, letting someone different do the images/write-up etc for each? i.e., i think he was volunteering for January, which is Panzer Dragoon 1 & Zwei, anyone else who'd want to take certain months would be welcome with that format - unless you guys think it'd be better/easier to just stick to one thread?

Multiple threads for every month might give things a little more visibility, I'd reckon.
(Totally not suggesting this because I wanted to volunteer to do the the Capcom/Marvel fighter month)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Multiple threads for every month might give things a little more visibility, I'd reckon.
(Totally not suggesting this because I wanted to volunteer to do the the Capcom/Marvel fighter month)

Oooo, I'd do a 3D fighter month.

Virtua Fighter 2
Fighting Vipers
Last Bronx
Fighters Megamix

Last Bronx would be especially fun.

ajim

Is there anyway I can play the NiGHTs Into Dreams remake that was put on to the PS3 PSN without actually owning a PS3?

IrishNinja

^i have it on PS3 but forgot to see if it turned into christmas nights on the 25th? might be too much to ask for

okay! so i was gonna see how you guys felt about the lineup but do you guys think we should do a separate month for 3D fighters vs 2D marvel/capcom stuff? im sure we could work that in if ya'll think they can carry a month each, and i really do wanna do stuff that people would like to do writeups for!

Valkyria

Banned
^i have it on PS3 but forgot to see if it turned into christmas nights on the 25th? might be too much to ask for

okay! so i was gonna see how you guys felt about the lineup but do you guys think we should do a separate month for 3D fighters vs 2D marvel/capcom stuff? im sure we could work that in if ya'll think they can carry a month each, and i really do wanna do stuff that people would like to do writeups for!

You have to unlock the mode by finishing the game first, But it's like in Saturn then, with the music and all.

Top Bottom