• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Top 10 Saturn imports quick,

and go!!!!!

well the first 3 would be shining force!

after that in no real order and off the top of my head:

cotton 2, bulk slash, soukyugurentai, batsugun, assault suit leynos 2, hyper duel, battle garegga

i ignored games that had ports on other machines, even if the saturn version is the superior one.

edit: oh wait, soukyugurentai had a ps1 port. oops. in that case, uh, maybe langrisser dramatic edition or cotton boomerang? i have no idea why i gave myself this limitation. :p

woodypop

Top 10 Saturn imports quick,

and go!!!!!
Drawn entirely from the imports I own, and in no real particular order:

1) X-Men Vs. Street Fighter - I think this was my first exposure to the 4-Meg RAM cart, and it was the reason I got my Saturn modded. The graphics still impress me.

2) Capcom Generations 2 - Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and Super Ghouls n' Ghosts on one disc? Heck yeah!

3) Radiant Silvergun - I think this was my first import shmup. Dramatic voice-over and great music, too!

4) Dungeons & Dragons Collection - It's been bested recently on PS3, but it's still amazing (even with the annoying load pauses). And it's got Tower of Doom.

5) The King Of Fighters '95 - Excellent use of the ROM cart. Didn't have a Neo Geo CD at the time, so this was as good as it got.

6) Metal Slug - Playing this at home back in the day was awesome.

7) Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire - Great megamix of the series.

8) Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 - Cuz it's got TFIV

9) Sol Divide - It plays kinda clunky with the large sprites (for a shmup), but I really like the fantasy theme.

10) Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge - My favorite one, next to SamSho II.

Strikers 1945 was barely edged out--still love the game though. Battle Garegga, Groove On Fight, Soukyugurentai, and Batsugun might have made the list if I'd spent more time with them to form a stronger opinion.

IrishNinja

DSQ6bSJ.jpg

now we're cookin' with gas

Ok, I'll handle the PD1 and PDZ writeup for January, anyone here a good artist who can do some logos and stuff? My photoshop skills aren't good.

Teknoman

Going to a flea market...pretty late in the day for that though (1pm CST) so dunno what i'll find. Would be awesome luck to come across PD 1 since i've only got Zwei (and Orta) at the moment.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Going to a flea market...pretty late in the day for that though (1pm CST) so dunno what i'll find. Would be awesome luck to come across PD 1 since i've only got Zwei (and Orta) at the moment.

If you've got Orta, you've already got PD1!
Provided you have an OG Xbox.

baphomet

I wanted to hit up the flea market today as well. Unfortunately it snowed a few inches last night and kinda screwed those plans.

Teknoman

If you've got Orta, you've already got PD1!
Provided you have an OG Xbox.

Really?

EDIT: After looking up the unlock requirements...sucks to say that I must not have met the time or beaten the game. I think I stopped playing around the Gigantic Fleet stage for some reason or another, so thanks for the heads up.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Really?

EDIT: After looking up the unlock requirements...sucks to say that I must not have met the time or beaten the game. I think I stopped playing around the Gigantic Fleet stage for some reason or another, so thanks for the heads up.
You should definitely finish it, as Orta is the best PD game.

Teknoman

Well didnt find any Saturn games (aside from Virtua Cop 1, but i've already got that, and dont think anyone is looking since its easy to get) but did get some nice NES stuff.

IrishNinja

^yeah, it's a bitch to find complete for a good price right now, even that PAL one. i keep debating the import but ive been told on here there's cut content...still, a 10 player game is on my gaming bucket list!

1204628_o.gif

flying dutchman

Neo Member
I loved my Saturn. It was way cooler and capable than the Joe average PS1 gamer knew.
As far as graphics was concerned it was a far better 2D machine and just as capable at 3D. The main weakness was its lack of transparency. Shadows and smoke effects for themost part were a tacky cris cross of mesh. The game that did do it well was loaded, and the game on Saturn was faster and better than PS1.
But if you compare Sega Rally, Daytona USA, VF2, VCop, Panzer, Nights, Sonic to the best PS1 3D games than i always thought the Saturn games looked better.
I never thought I was missing out by having a Saturn than a PS, and the ability to have the best arcade games on my home console was my boasting point.

Dereck

I wish there was someway that I could play Sega Saturn games in HDMI, and just buy all of my games digitally from an online store. God damn, scraping the earth for Sega Saturn games and conversion video output cables becomes such a hassle.

Khaz

I just learned there was an official Saturn floppy drive, made for copying saves from/to the internal memory of the saturn. A few games were apparently able to use it directly, such as the japanese version of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

320px-Saturn_HSS-0128.jpg

I think such device is much more practical than the Saturn USB DataLink (which is already tremendously useful) as it apparently can save and load individual gamesaves. Plus it wouldn't cost as much as the datalink plus the needed Action Replay cartridge.

It seems extemely rare though.

Dereck

That seems like the perfect candidate for, "you can run Saturn backups from the floppy disk transfer drive!", expect for the part where that is kind of impossible. That would just seem like an easy exploit kind of like how the Dreamcast's serial port can be used to read SD cards.

Great thread, subscribed. Anyone in here own the official wireless Saturn controllers? Was wondering how reliable they are and if they're worth splurging on. My current Saturn set up is s-video on a plasma with a 6ft controller extension cable.

Currently playing a mix of DoDonPachi and Radiant Silvergun.

Mitsurux

(Chekcing back in the thread but found no final answer)

Did we decide on the final "non" beta year schedule?

(Going to use my tax return to pick of few missing titles!!)

Well, doubled my collection of Saturn systems, picked up a Japanese Model 1, 10 games, 2 Japanese controllers, and the Virtual On stick off ebay today. Now to wait for the shipping. Very happy, got it for around the price of the stick itself, and that Japanese Saturn is dead sexy.

Quick question for anyone who might know: I briefly tried messing with SSF today and things went pretty well for the most part. It was about to handle running both US and JP games off disc just fine.

Only issue is, as seen in this gameplay clip I recorded, there are these lines that keep showing up and are really annoying. I can post my settings if necessary, but has anyone else encountered anything like this and know what might need to be fixed?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
^ Try rolling back to the next-most-recent version of the emulator.

I had a similar looking issue with Saturn Bomberman when I tried out the newest version a couple weeks ago.

Top Bottom