• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

yeah, i figured we cover some good bases & a low barrier price too, heh. classic arcade racer (opens it up for Sega Rally talk too), great fighter, and light gun games. looking at the schedule, we've got months for beat-em-ups and other fighters, so we should prolly squeeze in stuff like racers & whatever else arcadey fits in here.

Seik

Banned
Dynamite Deka deserves a place somewhere in the YoS, imo. :p

It's awesome and it can be cleared really quickly, plus it's cheap (It can be found for less than 30 bucks.).

I'll do it in Febuary anyway for sure! Dynamite Deka is synonym of arcade madness.

tebunker

Banned
Okay so I can get a Saturn for $49, is this a good price? What kind of stuff should I be looking for? It's at a retro game store... any tips? I am skimming the thread just figured I could throw this out here.

IrishNinja

^man you'd be surprised, Die Hard Arcade seems to've gone up recently, i had a hard time catching it complete for less than $40 a month or so ago....it's a great arcade action title though, and totally should be listed in February, good call!

Seik

Banned
^man you'd be surprised, Die Hard Arcade seems to've gone up recently, i had a hard time catching it complete for less than $40 a month or so ago....it's a great arcade action title though, and totally should be listed in February, good call!

US version, I agree. I just checked it out and it doesn't seems to be available for less than 50$ if you want it complete. :/

The JAP version is way more affordable though. Since it doesn't have any japanese in the game anyway that's a good deal.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Isn't the Sega Ages release on PS2 a better way to play Dynamite Deka, anyway? I haven't paid much attention to the game, but I seem to recall that had an arcade perfect port and a visually touched-up mode.

Okay so I can get a Saturn for $49, is this a good price? What kind of stuff should I be looking for? It's at a retro game store... any tips? I am skimming the thread just figured I could throw this out here.

Well, the price seems about right. There is a place near here that sells a modded one, with power supply, controller and cables for $75. I'd just test it out before you buy, and make sure you have a controller and video cables. If your TV supports S-video I would recommend getting those if at all possible. They are fairly cheap on ebay.

Other than that, get ready for February in the year of Saturn. VF2, Daytona, and Virtua Cop are all really cheap, so you should be able to get them for a song.

Seik

Banned
Isn't the Sega Ages release on PS2 a better way to play Dynamite Deka, anyway? I haven't paid much attention to the game, but I seem to recall that had an arcade perfect port and a visually touched-up mode.

I don't know, but I guess it's the better way, like pretty much all Sega Ages releases. :p

I was suggesting it on the Saturn because it's still a good game on Saturn, it delivers. It's the year of the Saturn, too.

It definitely is. Saturn version is a load time disaster. Loading is way too frequent and totally breaks up the flow.

IrishNinja

It definitely is. Saturn version is a load time disaster. Loading is way too frequent and totally breaks up the flow.

it's not ideal but i really didn't find it all that bad for the era; granted you're in partitioned rooms & need to load the next area but on a reasonable scale, we're quite far from say Neo Geo CD levels

Price on Saturn auctions seems ridiculous, one I was watching went from 8.00 to 41 in about 5 seconds. The best part is that the game in question can be Buy it Now'ed for $35 with free shipping. That means someone payed about $10 extra dollars for shits and giggles. Insane.

Price on Saturn auctions seems ridiculous, one I was watching went from 8.00 to 41 in about 5 seconds. The best part is that the game in question can be Buy it Now'ed for $35 with free shipping. That means someone payed about $10 extra dollars for shits and giggles. Insane.

I'm under the assumption that 99% of that comes from resellers keeping the prices high. Even if they don't win the item it still normalizes the cost.

IrishNinja

I'm under the assumption that 99% of that comes from resellers keeping the prices high. Even if they don't win the item it still normalizes the cost.

i never really thought about that, but it's even less rational for guys highly interested in maximizing profitability - what bishop is pointing to is something i see constantly, and can only assume it's pride or ignorance to the other items for sale somehow. ive seen the frenzy sometimes end at much higher levels for saturn stuff, like watch this shit here:

Elevator Action Returns - BIN $72, there were a few like this for the last week or two i wanna say, but only one auction that started at a penny

that one ended at $105...this can't just be the spine card, there's others in completed auction section that had those too.

Celine

i never really thought about that, but it's even less rational for guys highly interested in maximizing profitability - what bishop is pointing to is something i see constantly, and can only assume it's pride or ignorance to the other items for sale somehow. ive seen the frenzy sometimes end at much higher levels for saturn stuff, like watch this shit here:

Elevator Action Returns - BIN $72, there were a few like this for the last week or two i wanna say, but only one auction that started at a penny

that one ended at $105...this can't just be the spine card, there's others in completed auction section that had those too.
Fuck this shit.

EAR is an awesome game but those prices are ridiculous.

Might as well get Taito Legends 2 and suffer through 480i, lol
Those prices are ridicolous but the saturn port is still the version to get (unless you own the arcade board).

IrishNinja

EAR is an awesome game but those prices are ridiculous.

Might as well get Taito Legends 2 and suffer through 480i, lol

yeah, until it's back down in the $40 region that's exactly what i did, Legends 2 has a great port & some others as well. a copy sold stateside last dec or so for like in the $20s i wanna say so no hurry, just an immediate example that jumped at me since i watch that seller & thought i might swing a deal (should've known spine cards attract the crazies though, haha)

Something to pay attention to is the feedback of the people who are doing the bidding and win. On that finished auction you linked for example I doubt that people with 600 and nearly 300 feedback are ignorant of the other options. Another thing to consider is that the lower priced "buy it now" you linked is listed as "very good" with no pictures. Now I don't buy the non NA versions of games but I know for sure that is the kind of listing I would just skip right over on a used older game. If it is less of a risk with imports I wouldn't know.

For my first point there, and the point of my previous post, I know for a fact a few months back when I was paying a lot more attention that every single high value Saturn and Sega Cd game had the same "high feedback" people pushing the price to a certain limit who I could find picturless BIN listings of the same game for slightly more from. Got to remember that resellers aren't just getting from ebay so a bit of price control without risk doesn't hurt profitability.

Yes Boss!

Something to pay attention to is the feedback of the people who are doing the bidding and win. On that finished auction you linked for example I doubt that people with 600 and nearly 300 feedback are ignorant of the other options. Another thing to consider is that the lower priced "buy it now" you linked is listed as "very good" with no pictures. Now I don't buy the non NA versions of games but I know for sure that is the kind of listing I would just skip right over on a used older game. If it is less of a risk with imports I wouldn't know.

This is how I tend to shop on eBay. I'm more inclined to buy from somebody who clearly comes off as a colector, I've bought from before, takes the time to highlight traits of the game condition and packaging, has good feedback from others who are collectors (sometimes even seeing what other things feedback leavers have recently bought). I rarely go for the cheapest option with eBay. If I'm going to eBay I'm already not in the frame of mind that I'm trying to get the cheapest price. It is great to get a low price, of course, but that is not always essential for me.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The Saturn conversion of Super Turbo isn't arcade perfect - but it's reasonably close, and was the best conversion until the JP only DC release. I find myself playing this more often than Alpha 2.
Wi45JPv.jpeg

koopas

Has anyone tried Keio Flying Squadron 2? I'm interested because the first one for Sega Cd is great and I'm wondering how the transition to platformer helped/hurt the game.

Checked some youtube videos and it seems it plays pretty slow, even a little chunky. Any impressions? I want to make sure it's worth buying before I dive in for $100+ ...

woodypop

The Saturn conversion of Super Turbo isn't arcade perfect - but it's reasonably close, and was the best conversion until the JP only DC release. I find myself playing this more often than Alpha 2.
I've been playing Super Turbo, too. Does the arcade suffer from the same slowdown? Even at Speed 3 setting, the Saturn has very noticeable bouts of slowdown, particularly on DJ's stage. I can't remember if the arcade was the same way.

oneida

I've been playing Super Turbo, too. Does the arcade suffer from the same slowdown? Even at Speed 3 setting, the Saturn has very noticeable bouts of slowdown, particularly on DJ's stage. I can't remember if the arcade was the same way.

I think the slowdown in DeeJay's stage is the fault of the Saturn port, but the arcade game does have intentional slowdown to highlight big counterhits and KOs. I do not own the CPS2 board, but I do have a World Warrior board and the stylized slowdown is the same as this case.

Khaz

Has anyone tried Keio Flying Squadron 2? I'm interested because the first one for Sega Cd is great and I'm wondering how the transition to platformer helped/hurt the game.

Checked some youtube videos and it seems it plays pretty slow, even a little chunky. Any impressions? I want to make sure it's worth buying before I dive in for $100+ ...

If your console can read PAL games, a demo CD was published in europe with the first level: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...=preview+sega+saturn+vol+1&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I personally enjoy this game quite a lot, it is kind of slow but it doesn't have gameplay problems. It's a very traditional platformer, but cuter.
It may be slow due to 50hz but I wouldn't know, I don't have the japanese edition to compare to. It's 50hz slowliness.
However,
wikipedia said:
Mainly the stages consisted of sidescrolling platformer type stages. They scrolled from right to left on the Japanese version and left to right on all other versions. Several bonuses could be collected including three weapons.
is completely bullshit.

I don't think anyone has done a proper analysis of the SSF2X Saturn port, but it has quite a few problems and is far from arcade perfect. Even the PS1 version fared better. It was briefly discussed on Racketboy, but never went further than that.

Sometimes, I sorta regretted getting the PlayStation version, since I figured the Saturn version would be better like most 2D fighting game ports, but now...I'm glad that I got that one instead.

I actually haven't really noticed any differences in the game between the arcade and PlayStation versions myself, besides the loading screens (which are short if you turn on fast loading on a PlayStation 2). The PlayStation version also looks so damn good with component cables on a CRT. Hah. Using an optical audio cable for sound is also great.

oneida

I don't think anyone has done a proper analysis of the SSF2X Saturn port, but it has quite a few problems and is far from arcade perfect. Even the PS1 version fared better. It was briefly discussed on Racketboy, but never went further than that.
Complaints about screen stretching aside, this confirms stage specific slowdown. I maintain that the port plays great. Is there a Battle of the Ports on this one?

Mzo

Damn, that's a cool channel. Subscribed. It's a shame how only the really obnoxious and horrible Youtube channels get the big views.

Seik

Banned
About the SFIIX version debate.

I only tried the Saturn version so far, but even if it doesn't win on the technical side, the controller makes the deal to me.

If I really feel like it, I'll play it on SSF with my HRAP-V3-SA. ;)

oneida

Thanks. The screen stretching is fairly obvious in the Saturn port, just look at the borders of the screen. The sprites appear slightly larger because of this, which - yeah, go ahead and call it Stockholm - I kind of prefer, even if that makes the conversion less faithful to the arcade version. The contrast is much too high on the Saturn version, though.

Man, there's the Jamaica slowdown in full force. I swear it wasn't that bad when I was playing last night - any reason to believe the JP release of GMC wouldn't suffer as badly? Maybe I was lost in the heat of the moment.

/edit/
from the vid
AuIGiBB.jpg

Khaz

Thanks. The screen stretching is fairly obvious in the Saturn port, just look at the borders of the screen. The sprites appear slightly larger because of this, which - yeah, go ahead and call it Stockholm - I kind of prefer, even if that makes the conversion less faithful to the arcade version. The contrast is much too high on the Saturn version, though.

Man, there's the Jamaica slowdown in full force. I swear it wasn't that bad when I was playing last night - any reason to believe the JP release of GMC wouldn't suffer as badly? Maybe I was lost in the heat of the moment.

/edit/
from the vid
AuIGiBB.jpg

Boy, these are some ugly screenshots. This person should stop using composite video cables if he wants to put videos on the internet.

woodypop

Man, I knew that slowdown felt unusual. SSFIITurbo is currently my default game in the Saturn kiosk when friends come over. Maybe I'll switch it to SFA3 or X-Men vs SF for a more faithful conversion.

Mzo

I'm not talking about the jpg artifacts. Look at the right screen, how the yellow vertical line is wavy. It's typical dot crawl from composite video.

AFAIK he records in s-video.

I've recorded composite before and it looks way, way worse than his videos. I could be wrong, though!

Teknoman

February - Arcade Madness: Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona

who wants to do the write-up?

Dynamite Deka deserves a place somewhere in the YoS, imo. :p

It's awesome and it can be cleared really quickly, plus it's cheap (It can be found for less than 30 bucks.).

I'll do it in Febuary anyway for sure! Dynamite Deka is synonym of arcade madness.

Well i'm ready. We're 4 days in, lets get those quarters rollin.

Celine

I'm playing Daytona CE in these days and it's freaking amazing.

Won the first four tracks (normal + hornet), now it's time to tackle the last exclusive Saturn track.
Will post my records in the february thread :)

EDIT:
VF2 on the other hand is kicking my ass :-\

Ugh. I was looking at my Saturn shmups last night (hell, my PS1, SAT, and DC collection in general) and realized its being sorely neglected. I sold my CRTs when I moved into this place and I'm coming to the realization that I won't be buying either a CRT or converter to really enjoy these games anytime soon, if ever. My wife and I have already discussed and pretty much decided on a more mobile lifestyle when our current lease is up. I would hate to slowly destroy these over time through constant moving. /drama

Mzo

DIBS

I called it.

But seriously, that sucks =[ I sold off a good chunk of games years ago in an effort to clear out my backlog, pass on games I'd already beaten and motivate myself to finish games I really wanted to play. Sold them for nothing compared to what they go for these days... if you were ever going to sell video games, now is probably the best time. There's no way this market sustains itself forever at this level.

Long story short, I regret selling every single one and have since bought nearly all of them back. Think long and hard before making that decision.

Yeah, I'm trying not to make it a spur of the moment thing. There are some games I'll never sell. Like my complete US Guardian Heroes... I'm keeping that forever. It's my favorite game of all time. But stuff like Batsugun and Garegga? I just can't stand to play them on anything other than a TATE'd CRT.

Top Bottom