• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It's doable. There are translated patches around (look them up on Shining Force Central), you can burn your patched Saturn disc to an ISO and mount it using an emulator, or burn it to a CD-R and use the disc swapping trick on a model 1 Saturn. If you have a modded Saturn, most likely a model 2 if that's the case, you just put the patched disc in, probably the most ideal case but I don't have a modded Saturn myself... :(

For myself, I played my Japanese Scenario 2 using a printed transcript, haha. Pain in the ass to say the least, but I did beat it. I then tried the disc swapping trick for Scenario 3, and it worked decently, but at some point I started getting disc read errors. :( I didn't want to continue on emulators because I had transferred my saves from scenario 1 and 2, and didn't want to lose them, but I never finished scenario 3 so it's not much better. I might just restart the whole trilogy on emulator one day and save me the headache. I'd recommend you do that if you're ok playing with emulators.

And yes, those games absolutely rule. I would kill for a fully localized HD remake/port of the trilogy on Steam. Come on, Sega, pleaaaaaase?
Thanks! I have a Model 1 so I'll disc swap.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ok, good luck. You do need to undo some screws on your Saturn and tape a switch to "trick" the Saturn into thinking its disc tray is closed, it's kind of a pain in the ass. But I hope you have more success than I did for sure. Those games are definitely worth playing by more people. ^^

I used to bridge the solder points on the switch to do the swap trick instead of using tape which is the more common method. Much like the PlayStation 2 I find the hardware revisions of the Saturn fascinating. I currently own a HST-3200 which is switch modded for EU/NA/JP and 50/60Hz, a HST-3210 with UK PSU and a MK-80200-50 which I have hard modded to JP/60Hz and installed a Robert Webb V2 modchip in. Funnily enough though I only own a single model 1 PAL controller for the three machines. Need to fix that.

All the above being oval buttoned systems with the access LED - I don't know why but I don't like the round buttoned machines. They're just ugly to my eyes.

Games wise it has to be the Model 2 ports and all the amazing shmups. Haven't really attempted to play any RPGs on the system yet though.

Seik

Banned
Just took some loose time I had to update the OP with better shots, by this I mean not stretched in 16:9. I tried to take the exact same shots I took 2 years ago for some, for other I tried to take a better shot, plus I added one for each game, since only one shot per games kinda felt barebone. :p

EDIT: Anybody used to Yabause knows how to play games in fullscreen 4:3? When it's windowed I can control it but the moment I put it fullscreen it stretches the shit out of the picture.

Shining Force III fucking rules. How easy is it to play translated versions of Scenario 2 & 3? I'll buy JP versions and be an honest guy

Beat them years ago, long before the translation project was a thing. Used the translated script and guide for scenario 2 and 3.

I dont understand fumbling with the disc swap trick when the AR 4in1.is affordable and works perfectly.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Beat them years ago, long before the translation project was a thing. Used the translated script and guide for scenario 2 and 3.

I dont understand fumbling with the disc swap trick when the AR 4in1.is affordable and works perfectly.
The 4in1 I have doesn't let me play burned discs...

I have my Saturn hooked up to a 32" CRT TV using an S-Video cable. I'm happy with this setup.

NBA Jam T.E. is an amazing local co-op game to play on Saturn!

Sakujou

Banned
just a quick question, i hope its not rude and i hope that it wasnt asked already 5 bazillion times:

i can download the emulator, pop a ss-disc in and play it with an dualshock3 or xbox controller on pc?

do all games work?
enhancements?
requirements?

thanks for answering.
panzerdragoon%20big-3.jpg

best game cover for the saturn.

bought it last week in japan.

totally worth the 2000 yen.

Khaz

just a quick question, i hope its not rude and i hope that it wasnt asked already 5 bazillion times:

i can download the emulator, pop a ss-disc in and play it with an dualshock3 or xbox controller on pc?

do all games work?
enhancements?
requirements?

thanks for answering.

You don't want to do that. Get one of these cheap chinese Saturn USB controllers,
switch the board with a real one if you're picky,
and get rollin'.

Saturn emulation isn't complete, but we're getting there. SSF on Windows is your only bet and works with real disks. No enhancements at all, just original goodness. You want a relatively correct CPU with it (anything dual-core should be good).

Saturn emulation isn't complete, but we're getting there. SSF on Windows is your only bet and works with real disks. No enhancements at all, just original goodness. You want a relatively correct CPU with it (anything dual-core should be good).
You might want to try CRT filters along with it. The bloom can be turned down by decreasing the GaussStrength value

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He wants you to play the game in japanese with the printed translated script on your lap.
Well, I did that for Scenario 2, actually, but it's a pain in the ass. :p And it wouldn't work for Scenario 3 because the translated script is (was?) incomplete and full of Engrish mistakes anyway.

HAHA!

Well, the first shipment got lost during SAL shipping (still hasn't shown up over a month after it shipped), but the second one came in this time via EMS.

I now have:

A Sega Saturn with 2 Japanese Controllers (Sexy Grey Model 1):

A VirtualOn Stick:

And a crapload of Japanese games:

I cannot stress enough how awesome this guy was in his customer service. I figured he might give a refund for the stuff not arriving, but instead he shipped the entire thing out again, EMS this time, all at his expense. Yeah a few of the games were different this time around but I got a bunch of freebies, and honestly I kinda preferred the different games this time around. I am so very happy I could just scream.

The guy's store is Retro Gamez Japan and while he doesn't have much feedback yet, the stuff was top quality so if you are looking for systems, check him out.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
How much do those Saturn Virtual-On sticks go for nowadays? Was a little disappointed trying to play the game with the original Saturn controller.

Nice! I can bring my VO stick and we can have the greatest VO night ever!

Sounds awesome! The stick is pretty damned impressive BTW. Lot of weight to it, and the sticks have a nice click to them as well.

Anyone know if they ever came out in the US or were they Japan only?

How much do those Saturn Virtual-On sticks go for nowadays? Was a little disappointed trying to play the game with the original Saturn controller.

I see them in the $100 range on the resellers heaven known as Ebay. I got a good deal in getting the entire lot for around that price + shipping. But as always YMMV. Shipping from Japan on this thing will not be cheap. But, again, the quality is pretty good.

Since I now have a US and Japanese Saturn, I just need to get them modded. I know there has been a lot of talk about the universal bios mods, but are they really preferable to just getting a US/Japan switch and using an ST-KEY or PAR for any european games? I want a switch of some sort for easier use of a RAM cart, (I hate copying the main backup ram to the PAR, and for Dragon Force, which I will be replaying this year, a RAM cart is essential.) and it seems that there are a lot less chances of things going wrong doing the switch mod as opposed to the universal bios ones.

Mzo

CRTs are where it is at; get that shit out of here.

Anyone know if they ever came out in the US or were they Japan only?

Japan only, and there are Dreamcast equivalents. They were $30 boxed like 12 years ago, but that information doesn't help anybody. I should dig them out of their box and test them out.

IrishNinja

caught DoDonPachi & Salamander Deluxe Pack combo on a forum sale, checked those two off my list! missed Shining Force III for $80 but im glad it's trending closer to that # at least, should help me out.

CRTs are shit out of here.

man #teamCRT is takin lotta L's today

Salamander Deluxe Pack
Salamander Deluxe Pack is so much better on PS1.

Saturn isn't capable of outputting the same 256x224 resolution as the arcade version of Salamder does (but Playstation is).
So your options are an inelegant non-native scaled version that stretches the 256x224 image to 320x240 and looks ultra jaggy or a 1:1 pixel mapped version that leaves pillar boxes. While the latter doesn't sound too bad, and honestly looks much better, nothing in the 1:1 pixel mapped version will appear drawn correctly (circles will be oblong, etc.) when viewing on a standard 4:3 display monitor as intended.

IrishNinja

#Team BigTymers appreciates CRT's the way we did bicycles, before acquiring cars

Salamander Deluxe Pack is so much better on PS1.

yeah, i read up on it a bit beforehand, there's a lot to be said if you're looking for arcade perfect but having seen both & played the saturn version, i'm happiest with that. this might also tie into my feelings on the saturn's identity as a fantastic arcade port/SHMUP box as well, and my desire to have it on the shelf next to Soky, DoDon, Darius Gaiden etc. god knows id love to add Radiant Silvergun & Battle Garegga but i doubt i'll find deals on either in the near future, haha.

Gotta admit I'm surprised to see CRT trash talk in a Saturn thread. What?

their scrub ilk usually starts it~
this time it was because gunsmith wanted to lure people to the House of a Thousand Cats though

oneida

Why would you prefer an HDTV over a CRT for Saturn games? Is it just a space thing? Because who cares

IrishNinja

Why would you prefer an HDTV over a CRT for Saturn games? Is it just a space thing? Because who cares

was kinda taking the piss as we've covered this in the upscaler thread i imagine, but since you're pressing the issue: for me, i prefer larger modern sets (get more use out of them as well) and the multitude of options i get from tweaking my XRGB. i don't honestly mind people's choices but when 645 brings in "The Way It's Meant to be Played™" type shit, us ballers living in the 21st century gotta speak up nahmean

So you're saying that the Sega Saturn wasn't made to be played on a 15kHz display?

Obviously I understand your sentiment but it works both ways.

IrishNinja

yeah it was meant to be played on a stolen hotel CRT with a bubble screen & purple shadows on the corner from the cheap unshielded speakers i had in the day too, ideally whilst my mom was yelling at me about chores & homework so let's recreate all of that and pretend it's '96 again too

everything you do in life is an approximation; i'm quite happy with mine & only troll back because the superiority complex a few have is kind've adorable

oneida

I think the lengths at which you need to go to get a picture as good as the one in speedlolita's pic is telling enough. CRTs are cheap as dirt and look better out of the box with component/composite/s-video displays than HDTVs do for retro gaming.

I don't even own a television, so make of that what you will.

This display cost £30, a nice HDTV and an XRGB-Mini is quite a bit more for something that for me, someone that doesn't need a television, to play his games consoles on with them looking like ass.

My pic is a JP Saturn via Official RGB cable into a near pro grade CRT, so it looks as good as arcade.

Gunsmithx

I for one welcome our new/old crt overlords!

Also to be fair irish doesn't have space for a crt which I think is the real reason, hell even with my crt I'd grab a xrgb if it was cheaper for when people are over. While the crt is a space investment lord is the xrgb a money and time one.

Also all this virtual on stick talk reminds me I need to get one

oneida

This Trinitron cost me $20. The Saturn output is just the composite cables that came with the system. It doesn't look as good as speedys, but I think it looks pretty great.

I keep forgetting I put that lamp there.

IrishNinja

ya'll still fussin huh

I think the lengths at which you need to go to get a picture as good as the one in speedlolita's pic is telling enough. CRTs are cheap as dirt and look better out of the box with component/composite/s-video displays than HDTVs do for retro gaming.

I don't even own a television, so make of that what you will.

This display cost £30, a nice HDTV and an XRGB-Mini is quite a bit more for something that for me, someone that doesn't need a television, to play his games consoles on with them looking like ass.

i think the lengths at which you need to go to justify your setup of choice are quite telling
i already had a high-end panasonic plasma, and after doing research (hell, i started a thread on it) i used some of my discretionary income to by something which gives me more options than CRT's provide...not much more to it, honestly

also as i recall, the older round tinitrons are better quality than the later flat ones for the most part, but i'm glad you're happy with your purchase man

Also to be fair irish doesn't have space for a crt which I think is the real reason, hell even with my crt I'd grab a xrgb if it was cheaper for when people are over. While the crt is a space investment lord is the xrgb a money and time one.

yeah, it's partly space, partly practicality for me - when i have a house & gaming room (my collection's getting to be a bit much for a living room, honestly) ill likely do some more research & pick up a good quality trinitron that can do for TATE mode & allow me to play lightgun/etc games again, but it's just never gonna be my primary as i don't wanna go back to a smaller screen size & lose the options i currently enjoy.

anyway, didn't even know you were in the market for a VO stick, i'll keep an eye out for you man!

oneida

also as i recall, the older round tinitrons are better quality than the later flat ones for the most part, but i'm glad you're happy with your purchase man

And S-Video is better than composite, yadda yadda. The point is you're treating CRTers like tryhards when in reality I spent $20 for a good, but not the best, picture.

Man all this fighting over CRTs, it all depends on what you wand to do, how much space you have, and what you are willing to spend. The XRGB is damned sexy, but there is a LOT of money spent on it, the RGB modding of some systems (not the Saturn thankfully) and all the other stuff.

CRTs are cheap now, but the are big, heavy, and space wise they are a PITA.

The answer, get both.

Right now on the bay they are around $100 shipped, give or take, maybe you can get a deal on a best offer. All the sellers are in Asia of course.

I'm not a fan of the flat screen Trinitron no. This is a Trinitron from the period of the Saturn/PlayStation so I think it's perfectly suited. It's the perfect match for both of the consoles that are beloved to me and yes I've gone through great lengths to secure CRT that live up my standards. I've owned various consumer grade Trinitron, a Diamondtron CRT, a Commodore 1081 and now my Sony KX-14CP1, and a 9" PVM but that was too small. All of my consoles cables are official RGB cables, I don't even own lesser cables.

I'm just proving your point.

I care about this hobby and the reproduction of the maximum potential of video quality from my machines is an interest of mine. Composite and S-Video don't cut it for me now.

Teknoman

Maybe its just because i've never seen Salamander series in any other form aside from youtube videos, the Saturn DX pack after getting it for sorta cheap, and famicom stuff...but Saturn version looks just fine to me.

Of course same with Twinbee.

As for the CRT talk, we're all just messing around for the most part.

Shoutouts to CRT monitors.

Televisions are for plebeians.

Dont think I wont throw hands >:I

:p

Ramune

Wha...what have I walked into?

DSC_0029.PNG

Official Saturn RGB cable -> Scart Adapter -> BNC + Sync passthrough; crappy pic from crappy cellphone though -_-;

What ever you game on, your getting your Saturn on. We'll point you in the right direction if you want the best picture, but you can't go wrong be it Trinitron, RGB Monitor, High-end CRT, XRGB or what have you . Ironically, while I barely have the space in my tiny apartment, the price of free x2 was too good to pass up in my case. ^_^;
But there's a charm to CRT that warms my video nerd heart, and especially the fact I've never dabbed in RGB until now. If I had an XRGB, I'd be tinkering with it's options like a kid in a candy story for sure. Probably easier for livestreaming too I take it?

Speedlolita, I have official Nintendo RGB cables and since you use official ones too, how do I open it to check out the "ground" since the signal it gives is shot. If I can fix these great, because I don't wanna just get a new cable if these can be salvaged.

2013-09-30-220629.jpg

Puyo Puyo Sun! I still need to get it. I have the first two (1 one MegaDrive, Tsu on Saturn), Fever (DS), and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (on both Genesis and Game Gear). Mega Man & Bass is cool, too. I have the GameBoy Advance version. I find it to be one of the hardest Mega Man games...if not the hardest one. Hope you can fix that picture issue.

Anyway, I prefer CRTs. They look nice, don't lag, and work with lightguns. I love lightgun games. They're also incredibly cheap now. I love my 27" RCA TrueFlat screen. Best TV I've ever owned. It looks fantastic, especially after I went into the service menus and adjusted a ton of little things. Even newer stuff like the Xbox 360 look great!

LCD/Plasma/LED/HDTVs are cool too, though, but I don't like them for playing video games. I would eventually like to get an HD CRT, though.

Top Bottom