• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

woodypop

Yeah, I'm trying not to make it a spur of the moment thing. There are some games I'll never sell. Like my complete US Guardian Heroes... I'm keeping that forever. It's my favorite game of all time. But stuff like Batsugun and Garegga? I just can't stand to play them on anything other than a TATE'd CRT.
I would think long and hard about this before you get rid of them. Very rarely have I let anything go and not regretted it afterward--not necessarily right away, but eventually.

If there's even a hint of possibility that you would ever want them again, don't get rid of them. It's not easy to get (key) Saturn games as it is, and it will only get more difficult as time passes.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm planning to finally offload a big chunk of my Saturn/Dreamcast collection once I finally work my way through my backlog. I've never been the type to resell games but I just have to acknowledge that some of these games haven't been played in over a decade already and will likely never be played again. Best to recoup what I can from those that are worth something rather than worry about disc rot, damage during a move, or what have you.

All told, there probably isn't more than a dozen or so titles per console I own that I would consider indispensable.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I would think long and hard about this before you get rid of them. Very rarely have I let anything go and not regretted it afterward--not necessarily right away, but eventually.

If there's even a hint of possibility that you would ever want them again, don't get rid of them. It's not easy to get (key) Saturn games as it is, and it will only get more difficult as time passes.

I can't imagine pawning either of those Saturn games. Don't they both have better audio than the arcade PCBs do anyway? Not to mention Batsugun's superior arrange mode. It's as good as it gets, man.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm planning to finally offload a big chunk of my Saturn/Dreamcast collection once I finally work my way through my backlog. I've never been the type to resell games but I just have to acknowledge that some of these games haven't been played in over a decade already and will likely never be played again. Best to recoup what I can from those that are worth something rather than worry about disc rot, damage during a move, or what have you.

All told, there probably isn't more than a dozen or so titles per console I own that I would consider indispensable.

Anytime I've sold any game that I even remotely liked, I later regretted it and I just turned around and bought it again at some point down the road. Can't say that I'm ever going to sell any of my games ever again.

Sixfortyfive

Anytime I've sold any game that I even remotely liked, I later regretted it and I just turned around and bought it again at some point down the road. Can't say that I'm ever going to sell any of my games ever again.
I'm definitely not going to toss any game I'd still want to play, but it's getting to the point where I just see a lot of stuff on my wall that serves no purpose other than taking up space. There's never going to be a day where I feel like busting out these arcade ports that have been done better on other platforms since then, and there are some franchises where I just don't have a need for owning more than one entry. (ex: Every single time I've ever started to play a Megaman X game, it's left me wishing that I was playing Megaman 9 instead, without fail, within only a few minutes of playing. And I'm beginning to feel like I don't need to own Panzer Dragoon Saga or any other Saturn RPGs as long as I have Dragon Force.)

And as with the case of another poster upthread, I could see myself taking on a more mobile lifestyle for the near future, as I'm pretty reluctant to settle down in a house or in any particular location for the time being, so despite my preference for physical media and penchant for accumulating all sorts of video processing/capture equipment, I feel like I need to trim the fat. It's even getting to the point where I'm giving serious thought to selling off all of the boxes/manuals for my DS/3DS games and just using multi-game cases for those, which is something I thought I'd never consider. There's just this overwhelming urge to be more efficient in managing what I own and store right now.

Seik

Banned
If no one else is doing it, i'll make the thread. So which arcade ports are we covering again?

You and Irish talking about making a thread about this month's YotS's theme? If I was supposed to do it I wasn't even aware of it.

If yes, well, I could help someone making a thread by providing screenshots of X games via SSF to have clear shots (if I have those in my stuff.). Not sure about making the thread itself though, I like putting hours making banners and stuff, even if they end up looking cheap most of the time, especially now since GAF's colors have changed, heh. I don't have much time to do it during this week though, the more we wait the more days are getting skipped for people to notice the YotS. So if someone is up, hit me up via PM if screenshots of X arcade game is needed. It'll be my pleasure to play those as well as I'll be taking the screenshots anyway! We're almost the 5th already so it needs to get done ASAP. :p

I may not answer tonight though, I'm going to bed. Good night!

EDIT: Here's two pics of my US/JAP collections I just took so you could know which titles I could try to take some pics with SSF, Tekno. Let me know if you're making the thread.

0055tPE.jpg
toMObTb.jpg

Double EDIT:
I think i got confused with another post you made. I thought "I'll do it in February" meant you were doing the thread, but now that I read it again, seems like you were just talking about when you'd play Die Hard Arcade lol.
Exactly. :p

Teknoman

You and Irish talking about making a thread about this month's YotS's theme? If I was supposed to do it I wasn't even aware of it. D:

If yes, well, I could help someone making a thread by providing screenshots of X games via SSF to have clear shots (if I have those in my stuff.). Not sure about making the thread itself though, I like putting hours making banners and stuff, even if they end up looking cheap most of the time, especially now since GAF's colors have changed, heh. I don't have much time to do it during this week though, the more we wait the more days are getting skipped for people to notice the YotS. So if someone is up, hit me up via PM if screenshots of X arcade game is needed. It'll be my pleasure to play those as well as I'll be taking the screenshots anyway! We're almost the 5th already so it needs to get done ASAP. :p

I may not answer tonight though, I'm going to bed. Good night! :D

EDIT: Here's two pics of my US/JAP collections I just took so you could know which titles I could try to take some pics with SSF, Tekno. Let me know if you're making the thread. :)

I think i got confused with another post you made. I thought "I'll do it in February" meant you were doing the thread, but now that I read it again, seems like you were just talking about when you'd play Die Hard Arcade lol.

At any rate, I guess i'll give it a shot tomorrow or Thursday.

We're playing which games again?

Virtua Fighter 2
Daytona USA
Virtua Cop 1&2
Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Deka
?????

woodypop

EDIT: Here's two pics of my US/JAP collections I just took so you could know which titles I could try to take some pics with SSF, Tekno. Let me know if you're making the thread.
Great stuff, Seik!

I'm assuming the unlabeled spine is Astal? On that note, is Astal the only game with a bare spine? How odd.

At any rate, I guess i'll give it a shot tomorrow or Thursday.

Virtua Fighter 2
Daytona USA
Virtua Cop 1&2
?????
The three games packed-in with many Saturns, pretty much: Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, Daytona USA. That's my understanding.

Could've sworn Die Hard Arcade was a later game.

Great stuff, Seik!

I'm assuming the unlabeled spine is Astal? On that note, is Astal the only game with a bare spine? How odd.
Astal is indeed the only Saturn game (that I know of) with a bare spine. I have no idea why they forgot it, intentionally or otherwise.

astonish

I'm definitely not going to toss any game I'd still want to play, but it's getting to the point where I just see a lot of stuff on my wall that serves no purpose other than taking up space. (...)

I feel your entire message. I started collecting across all systems a couple of years ago. I never intended to go for complete sets or anything, but I essentially snapped up anything affordable that I either loved as a kid, remember a fond rental of, loved playing at a friends house but never owned, or is considered seminal but I've never played. This hasn't formed a massive collection, but its still a couple hundred games probably.

Saturn was a bit of a grail for me. It was an important system in my life for social reasons and was also around the personal golden age of gaming when I was most involved in following games and the industry. It was the pinnacle of the arcades and the home market matching up.

For me collecting was about playing, not ownership or library purposes. I've come to realize it's in this strange psychological state of holding on to nostalgia, wanting to fill in the gaps in my nostalgia (games I couldn't afford or was unaware of when young), and a complete inability to recognize that life has changed in terms of the time I can spend with games.

I definitely adore my Saturn especially for a few games that are special to me. I will never sell it, but how much more collecting I do is questionable. Part of what made the saturn so great was how amazing it was with arcade ports, but I really don't have time to get good at Street Fighter III and I certainly have nobody to play it with. For the amount of time my adult life will let me play (read "try for 2 hours") an arcade game, I might as well just use mame. Also there are good XBLA ports of many things with online play.

Steam, FLAC/MP3 stores, and Kindle have really opened my eyes to how liberating a digital collection is. Much less space, it survives though PC's dying, and physical stuff like scratches. I may go predominately digital this new gen.

This message may sound like a downer, but its totally the opposite. There is still something majestic about seeing a nice Saturn collection on the shelf. For me I've come to realize that 95% of what brings me joy about retro gaming I can have trough looking at other's collections and quick hits of emulation/XBLA ports. I still feel at some level a "real" collection is better, but somewhere along the way, time, money, space, and that moment when you find yourself surfing EBay for CRT arcade monitors brings you to a reality check :)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Happy that VF2 is among this month's games. The port is magnificent, I was just playing it two days ago. It still strikes me how good the game looks and sounds - I recommend watching some videos of Tekken 2 for context. VF2 blows it away on every level!

It is disappointing that the series didn't get a Training mode until Fighters Megamix. I have the same problem with X-Men vs Street Fighter. It's rad that games like Last Bronx and KoF97 have them.

Sixfortyfive

I'd never go digital-only on consoles. I'd be very willing to bet that optical media has a longer shelf life than the servers that are being used to store Xbox 360 DLC.

Happy that VF2 is among this month's games. The port is magnificent, I was just playing it two days ago. It still strikes me how good the game looks and sounds - I recommend watching some videos of Tekken 2 for context. VF2 blows it away on every level!
I was rummaging through some games to test on my capture equipment not long ago and it turned out that VF2 is one of the only ones from that era that used real 480i for gameplay instead of 240p. No wonder it looked so much more detailed than its contemporaries.

oneida

I was rummaging through some games to test on my capture equipment not long ago and it turned out that VF2 is one of the only ones from that era that used real 480i for gameplay instead of 240p. No wonder it looked so much more detailed than its contemporaries.
The title screen in particular seems extraordinarily high resolution. At one point I wondered what to do with Saturn games like VF2 and Daytona USA now that there are superior conversions available on XBLA. The answer I found is fairly simple - play and enjoy them.

Does VF2 Saturn run at 60fps?

Sixfortyfive

I don't think so but I'd have to double-check and even then it's not a clear-cut case when you're dealing with real interlaced content. 30 interlaced frames per second is still 60 fields per second.

Following the arcade release, it was subsequently ported to the Sega Saturn in 1995. The Saturn version added an option for remixed music, and a "learning" feature where the AI would adapt to the player's abilities. Due to hardware restrictions, the framerate was changed to 60 from the arcade's 57.5, and the 3D backgrounds were changed to 2D bitmaps.

Source.

IrishNinja

god, Seik's stuff is so nice

I

Virtua Fighter 2
Daytona USA
Virtua Cop 1&2
?????

that sounds like all of em!

happy day, i found a UK forum with a copy of Elevator Action Returns (complete) for $40! can't wait till that one's in. the only bummer is a gaffer sold me Shining Wisdom for a great price, USPS tracking shows it was out for delivery on monday, then monday night it changed to "status not updated"...i've never seen that one, let alone for 2 days. it was mailed first class, so the site says it's too early to file a claim, but i don't know what happened. should i check my local post office or what?

Teknoman

Alright, back home...gonna work on a banner and PM Seik for shots.

EDIT: How different is VF Kids than other entries in the series? Other than SD characters I mean.

oneida

Alright, back home...gonna work on a banner and PM Seik for shots.

EDIT: How different is VF Kids than other entries in the series? Other than SD characters I mean.
Kids and Remix were the only VF games built on the STV arcade hardware, which is essentially a Saturn itself. This means that the two Saturn ports should be very similar to their arcade versions - of note, however, is that STV games came on carts instead of discs, so the Saturn versions likely have more loading time.

Kids is just a mod for VF2 - there are to my knowledge no balance changes or unique mechanics that differentiate the two games. Likewise, Remix is just remodeled/reskinned VF1. The Japanese version of Kids sports some commercial branding that was removed for the western localization.

ZealousD

How import friendly is Burning Rangers? I hear a lot of dialogue when I watch gameplay videos but I don't know how much of it is important.

Sixfortyfive

How import friendly is Burning Rangers? I hear a lot of dialogue when I watch gameplay videos but I don't know how much of it is important.
I bought the JP version some time ago, and I regret it. Instructional dialogue seems to be pretty frequent.

oneida

But I want it! =(
I don't feel the need to elaborate because I think I pick on Burning Rangers every two pages, but imo the game isn't worth more than $30. It's not bad, but there are shmups more deserving of its price tag.

Danny Dudekisser

I don't feel the need to elaborate because I think I pick on Burning Rangers every two pages, but imo the game isn't worth more than $30. It's not bad, but there are shmups more deserving of its price tag.

I'll go ahead and call Burning Rangers actually kinda crappy.

The technical issues just drag that game down completely. I really like the idea of it, but the game itself is bogus.

Go play Gunvalkyrie instead. That's what BR wanted to be.

Mercutio

And if you don't have the NiGHTS controller, god help you with Burning Rangers. It flat out sucks with the normal controller.

IrishNinja

yeah my time emulating it was pretty assy

frankly if someone'd like to offload their copy for $30 i'd be doing them a favor tbh

ZealousD

Huh. Previously I had heard nothing but good things about Burning Rangers. =/

Danny Dudekisser

Huh. Previously I had heard nothing but good things about Burning Rangers. =/

It's one of those games that, in the last several years, has gained a pretty big following due more to its rarity than because it's actually a good game. Kinda like that Psychic Assassin Taromaru game. Though in the case of Burning Rangers, it's probably a combination of "ooh, look at this rare thing" and a genuinely interesting concept.

ZealousD

It's one of those games that, in the last several years, has gained a pretty big following due more to its rarity than because it's actually a good game. Kinda like that Psychic Assassin Taromaru game. Though in the case of Burning Rangers, it's probably a combination of "ooh, look at this rare thing" and a genuinely interesting concept.

Yeah I didn't see anything special about Psychic Killer Taromaru. Never was much interested in that one.

IrishNinja

see that sucks, i only learned about Taromaru recently from Gamesack & found my time with it pretty fun, was bummed out by the price. was that just completionists or did some YT series raise awareness or what? maybe it was always stupid expensive but that's hard to imagine.

and yeah, i'm debating auctions near $80 for Shining Force 3, and i know why MKR fetches nearly $150 but the current $100+ for Rangers does indeed feel stupid, i'm gonna just hold out & see what i find.

oneida

Shining Force III fucking rules. How easy is it to play translated versions of Scenario 2 & 3? I'll buy JP versions and be an honest guy

I'm glad I got Burning Rangers when it was $50.

It's a decent enough game, but it's sooo janky. Trying to be a fully 3D game with all sorts of transparency effects on a console that can't handle it isn't helping matters. It really could do with an HD up-port, more than even NiGHTS needed one, if only to deal with all of the warping textures, awkward camera angles and bad framerate.

Danny Dudekisser

see that sucks, i only learned about Taromaru recently from Gamesack & found my time with it pretty fun, was bummed out by the price. was that just completionists or did some YT series raise awareness or what? maybe it was always stupid expensive but that's hard to imagine.

Taromaru's always been pretty expensive because it's a genuinely rare game. It had a really low print run in Japan, and nobody particularly cared about it when it came out. Which I can't really fault anyone for - would you trust a Time Warner-published game?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Shining Force III fucking rules. How easy is it to play translated versions of Scenario 2 & 3? I'll buy JP versions and be an honest guy
It's doable. There are translated patches around (look them up on Shining Force Central), you can burn your patched Saturn disc to an ISO and mount it using an emulator, or burn it to a CD-R and use the disc swapping trick on a model 1 Saturn. If you have a modded Saturn, most likely a model 2 if that's the case, you just put the patched disc in, probably the most ideal case but I don't have a modded Saturn myself... :(

For myself, I played my Japanese Scenario 2 using a printed transcript, haha. Pain in the ass to say the least, but I did beat it. I then tried the disc swapping trick for Scenario 3, and it worked decently, but at some point I started getting disc read errors. :( I didn't want to continue on emulators because I had transferred my saves from scenario 1 and 2, and didn't want to lose them, but I never finished scenario 3 so it's not much better. I might just restart the whole trilogy on emulator one day and save me the headache. I'd recommend you do that if you're ok playing with emulators.

And yes, those games absolutely rule. I would kill for a fully localized HD remake/port of the trilogy on Steam. Come on, Sega, pleaaaaaase?

Top Bottom