• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA to develop a new Wipeout game for Sony | Bandai Namco to also work on a PlayStation IP

Varteras

2rmxqqT.png
a1qYYod.png
TI6cofp.png

I didn't say they made the game.

I said they were involved.

This 3d model was added to the game 30 years ago.

Gonna have to explain to me what those images have to do with Namco. And quite frankly, that's a pretty big stretch to tie them to a Wipeout project today. Especially when this rumor in particular is that Sega is working on it.

EDIT: Okay, so that was the Negcon motion controller made by Namco. Neat. Still, that's really not much. Like, at all. It was a motion controller made for the PlayStation. Not specifically for Wipeout. Its use was intended for racing games. Wipeout wasn't even PlayStation's first.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

It's now up to Ace Inc from Bamco to bring WarHawk from 1995 into the modern era. Doubt, any of these rumors come to fruition, but it's nice to dream big once in awhile.

BlackTron

SEGA can't even make a decent Sonic game lmao. And the source sucks.
For whatever reason, Sega can make good games but they refuse to properly manage or support Sonic Team. I feel Frontiers was made with extreme pressure on the devs to make an ambitious game without the resources they needed or else they would be in trouble.

It probably could have been legitimately great if Sega was willing to put the time in and really polish/finish the game. It's a husk of potential.

Sonic is like Sega's Pokemon, it's churned out for kids with ostensibly a low budget because it sells anyway I guess. It's no longer a system seller loss leader mascot, so they aren't deep into the quality anymore.

If someone actually put Sega up to make a good game, had expectations and paid for it they could execute it. They just usually choose not to with their mascot.

CamHostage

Well, one part of this was true.

Are you bumping this because of Freedom Wars? That's not "reviving" legacy IP, that's passing it off.

Sony let DIMPS have use if a dormant franchise it created for them long ago, and Bandai Namco (a long-time DIMPS employer) signed to publish it.

There's no long-term goal to this or benefit to PlayStation audiences aside from maybe it continued to open the door for a few more old, unusable IP to get traded off if there's some drive to make such a deal and if Sony truly has no plans itself. This has been a rare event which had happened a select few times with SIE properties, and every time Sony has let something go (Freedom Wars, Tomorrow Children, FantaVision, Tomba, were there others? ), the original designer brokered a special arrangement to get their title back for themselves with clear intent of usage.

(*All of these i know of were also Japan Studio productions, interestingly.)

These brand releases have been more of a gentleman's agreement with creative minds (for whatever money constitutes gentlemanly.) It has not been a strategic move to revitalize PS properties by Sony.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Head on the Block seems to have heard that some of these publishers would be Bandai Namco and SEGA, the latter of which would apparently be in charge of developing a new Wipeout game
I'm Hero/Head on the block seems quite reliable according to resetera.

His track record seems clean:

Maybe it'll be canceled but for now i'm quite excited by RGG Wipeout Out GX... 🏝️

Last edited:

the_master

Sega Wipeout?
You sonofabitch, I’m in!

I wish it was possible to have a soundtrack lile the original made by CoLd StOrAgE. Most impactful ost of the time for me

Reactions: Isa

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Sega Wipeout?
You sonofabitch, I’m in!

I wish it was possible to have a soundtrack lile the original made by CoLd StOrAgE. Most impactful ost of the time for me
Some people on reddit noted that Amusement Vision doesn't exist anymore.

It doesn't work like that.
People are making games, not brands or studios...

F-Zero GX was directed by this guy:

Within the company (Outrun 2's director, Daytona 2's director F-Zero GX's director) or outside (Sega Rally and Star Wars Arcade Racer's director) men are still making games for Sega.

With such trinity of creators, Sega still has the greatest arcade racer directors.
Period.

Last edited:
You want Wipeout in VR?
I would probably puke in less than a minute lol

Anyhow the idea of Sega and Namco being back on arcade racers gets me super excited!
There is already a Wipeout in VR, for the PsVR1, and I found it far physically demanding that something like Resident Evil 7 or Skyrim VR. It also was one of the most exhilarating experience in VR, even if it wasn't a game specifically projected for VR but just a patch in a regular flat game

Top Bottom