• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Updates Release Schedule

Link

Following its E3 update, Sega of America recently once again updated its release schedule covering releases here in North America. The latest update shows more accurate dates for titles, Blood Will Tell, Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors, Headhunter: Redemption and Virtua Quest. According to the schedule, Headhunter: Redemption (formerly down for a Summer release) will ship during September 2004, this is also now true for Blood Will Tell (which was formerly simply listed down for release during Fall). Meanwhile, From Software’s action title Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors has been placed down for release during October 2004; while Sega’s Virtua Quest has been pushed back from Fall 2004 to Winter 2005. While the full update isn’t new, we’ve included Sega of America’s full schedule below for reference purposes.

Puyo Pop Fever (GameCube: July 20th, 2004)
Astro Boy: The Mega Factor (Game Boy Advance: August 17th, 2004)
Astro Boy (PlayStation 2: August 17th, 2004)
Amazing Island (GameCube: August 2004)
Headhunter: Redemption (Xbox, PlayStation 2: September 2004)
Blood Will Tell (PlayStation 2: September 2004)
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors (Xbox: October 2004)
The Matrix Online (PC: Fall 2004)
Sega SuperStars (PlayStation 2: Fall 2004)
Virtua Quest (PlayStation 2: Winter 2005)
Spikeout: Battle Street (Xbox: Winter 2005)

Soul4ger

Needs more Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Plus.

Is Dororo out in Japan yet? If it isn't, has anyone managed to get some hands-on time with it? I'm real curious to know if it plays well or not.

MaddenNFL64

Please don't tell me that Sega made Virtua Quest a PS2 exclusive, even though it was first made for the Gamecube...

Please... -_-

Malice reborn :\

kiryogi

Banned
MaddenNFL64 said:
Please don't tell me that Sega made Virtua Quest a PS2 exclusive, even though it was first made for the Gamecube...

Please... -_-

Malice reborn :\

Well it'd be american exclusive like that. It's still ontrack in Japan as far as I know.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
TheGreenGiant said:
oh shit. what a terrible release schedule. Where's any game that makes you go.. wow?

So true, I can't even think of another 3rd party developer the size of Sega that has a schedule this lame. Blood Will Tell, Sega Superstars, and Otogi 2 have me somewhat interested, but there is 0 Wow Factor in these games. It looks like I won't be dying to get any Sega games for a long time to come.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
If it wasn't for the promise of Phantasy Star Universe, I would probably have actually given up on Sega by now.

PSU should save them at TGS though. For me atleast :)

bloke

Grizzlyjin said:
Blood Will Tell, Sega Superstars, and Otogi 2 have me somewhat interested, but there is 0 Wow Factor in these games.
Well aside of NG can't recall any other 3rd person action game on Xbox that wowed me more than Otogi 2 did. Game is fuckin' spectacle from start to end.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Those remembering our previous release schedule story concerning Sega might also notice that Altered Beast is strangely absent from the release schedule now. While the reason for this isn’t known, we’ll certainly keep you posted.

Outrun 2 isn't listed either.

"The Mega Factor"
"Immortal Warriors"
"Battle Street"
"Redemption"

I've about had it with unnecessary, retarded subtitles to games.

jarrod

Banned
Sad release schedule, it's missing the following confirmed games...

-ESPN NFL Football 2K5 (Xbox, PlayStation 2: July 2004)
-Phantasy Star Online Episdoe I&II Plus (GameCube: August 2004)
-ESPN NHL Hockey 2K5 (Xbox, PlayStation 2: September 2004)
-ESPN NBA Basketball 2K5 (Xbox, PlayStation 2: October 2004)
-ESPN College Hoops 2K5 (Xbox, PlayStation 2: September 2004)
-Virtua Quest (GameCube: Winter 2005)
-Altered Beast (PlayStation 2: tba)
-NHL Eastside Hockey Manager (PC: tba)
-Puyo Pop Fever (PSP: tba)
-Sonic DS (Nintendo DS: tba)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
terrible year for sega development. astro boy gba rocks, as should otogi 2, but both games were developed outside sega. the sum total of good sega games in 2004 will be what...sonic heroes, nightshade, and outrun 2? and a lot of people would disagree with me on sonic heroes and nightshade.

Soul4ger said:
Needs more Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Plus.

Is Dororo out in Japan yet? If it isn't, has anyone managed to get some hands-on time with it? I'm real curious to know if it plays well or not.

It's PSO with the all the quests available offline. What more is there to know, really?

Soul4ger

Amazing Island apparently got a pretty good score in the newest GamePro, for whatever that's worth. I'm sorta interested in it, seems nice and quirky.

goodcow

drohne said:
terrible year for sega development. astro boy gba rocks, as should otogi 2, but both games were developed outside sega. the sum total of good sega games in 2004 will be what...sonic heroes, nightshade, and outrun 2? and a lot of people would disagree with me on sonic heroes and nightshade.

Sonic Heroes is fucking garbage, and Sega died to me once they went third party.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think Sega would have been better off just focussing on one of the consoles + GBA. That way they could have got out of the hardware business, but not fractured their userbase and thrown franchises all over the place. And not spread their development resources so thinly.

Some of their best franchises were killed by putting them on totally the wrong platform. Atleast if they'd all been on one machine, they might have gained sales from Sega fans in general. How many Sega fans went from owning one machine (Dreamcast) to owning all 3? Not many I expect.

3rd party has killed Sega. And their bad business decisions live on. The lack of a Super Monkey Ball 3 is mind-boggling. I mean just *what* are they doing with that F-Zero engine?!

GIVE US MORE MONKEYS SEGA!

Nash said:
3rd party has killed Sega. And their bad business decisions live on. The lack of a Super Monkey Ball 3 is mind-boggling. I mean just *what* are they doing with that F-Zero engine?!

GIVE US MORE MONKEYS SEGA!

Basing this on Shrine of Datas numbers, SMB1 sold more than the sequel. So maybe they feel that they released the sequel too quickly and are just waiting for anticipation to build up for the 3rd game in the series.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
SolidSnakex said:
Basing this on Shrine of Datas numbers, SMB1 sold more than the sequel. So maybe they feel that they released the sequel too quickly and are just waiting for anticipation to build up for the 3rd game in the series.

That's what I had hoped, but it's not looking good. SMB2 came out one year later than the first. In September it will be 2 years since SMB2 came out, and there's still no sign of it being anytime soon.

People are beginning to forget about the game. Super Monkey Ball doesn't seem to have the buzz it used to have about it, no one seems to care anymore! :(

Alot, does seem to be missing from that list.

I did have a thought, maybe they are not listing the ESPN sport games becuase Take Two is helping to distrbute the games. Like someone said Microsoft is Publishing Outrun2 but Sega doesn't seem to list it for themsleves, even though in reality it is thier game.

If Sega does Make Virtua Quest exclusive for Playstaion in America, I will feel bad for the Gamecube owners. They did the same thing to Puyo Pop Fever. Announced it for both x-box and Nintendo Gamecube, and then later the X-box version disappeared form the list. I hope it was just a listing mistake for Virtua Quest. and it is still Multiplatform. When you announce a game for a machine and then pull it, you can burn the fan base, to the point were they won't buy that conmpanies other games. With Puyo POP Fever, I am still have hope that it will be released, maybe it will be published by microsoft with online play added. The one thing I noticed, Originally the game was called Puy Puyo Fever, but when it became exclusive to Nintendo Gamecube it was renamed Puyo Pop Fever. Hopefully Microsoft or Sega at a later date will publish Puyo Puyo Fever. Anywya, Sega need to publish Virtua Quest of the GameCube.

I agree with Nash, Sega should have started publishing all thier games for one system, so the fnas could follow. I would have bought any of the systems for just the Sega games, and now in the end I have to buy 3.

goodcow

sonic4ever said:
I agree with Nash, Sega should have started publishing all thier games for one system, so the fnas could follow. I would have bought any of the systems for just the Sega games, and now in the end I have to buy 3.

But the games just aren't there anymore for the most part either. Just look at Sonic Team. Sure, this is partly because Sega has to pay royalties and can't take risks anymore, but I think another aspect of it is that a lot of the employees just feel defeated, and beaten, and have had their creativity sucked out of them. They pumped out an "A" game at a rate of twice a month or so with the Dreamcast, yet the public still didn't bite. I know I'd feel like shit after that. Plus all the crazy third-party niche titles that the Dreamcast was home to seem to have vanished as well.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i wouldn't indict sega's third party development in general - i've enjoyed quite a lot of their games. i think their track record has been pretty comparable to that of their most obvious peers, i.e. konami, namco, and capcom. and i don't see any particular dropoff in quality from their dreamcast era. it's just clear that they're going through a very dry period, for whatever reason - perhaps all the reorganization and turbulence have disrupted development. honestly i can't think of the last time i was so indifferent to sega's lineup.

goodcow

Come now:

Sonic Adventure 2 > Sonic Heroes
Jet Set Radio > Jet Set Radio Future
Phantasy Star Online v1/v2 > Phantasy Star Online Episode II
Panzer Dragoon Saga > Panzer Dragoon Orta

Billy Hatcher was a disappointment as well, Sonic Team went port-crazy with subpar ports, Shenmue III will almost certainly never happen, there's no new RPG on the horizon, and I just feel very bitter now.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Panzer Dragoon Orta is an exceptional example of its genre, just as Saga was for its own. The quality level of the series has remained very consistent.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
The list is also missing....

Sonic Mega Collection Plus (PS2: Nov. 16th)

and to a lesser extent....

Sega Ages Classic Collection (PS2: October; XS Games)
Phantasy Star Trilogy (PS2: October; XS Games)

When the most impressive title in your release schedule (Otogi 2) isn't even developed by your own studios, something is very wrong.

On that note, Virtua Quest isn't being developed by Sega either.

kiryogi

Banned
Kumiko Nikaido said:
The list is also missing....

Sonic Mega Collection Plus (PS2: Nov. 16th)

and to a lesser extent....

Sega Ages Classic Collection (PS2: October; XS Games)
Phantasy Star Trilogy (PS2: October; XS Games)

Didn't we already kill off PST? It's not in Japan!

jarrod

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
TOSE = Mediocrity personified.
Depends on the company they work for imo. Seems they just put more into their Nintendo (Starfi) or Square Enix (Slime Morimori, DQM) games personally.

just wanted to comments on this

VQ : anyone else gettign duke nukem 3d vibes or malice? This has taken soo damn long to churn out and with the superdeformed head thing... ruined.

as for not loving sega once they went 3rd party, that is rather silly. They had a chance to be fairly decent but instead, they capitalised on

a) SONIC (bleh)
b) xbox titles (which won't sell). WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY STILL MAKING GAMES? fucking money hat jap dev idiots
c) more kiddy crap (hatcher + amzing island)
d) nothing really great/new.

SEGA needs new direction, especially now they have amalgamated with SAMMY but this is just rubbish and will probably continue to be. THey have tons of franchises they can update and make cool like Team Ninja with Ninja Gaiden's xbox debut. Instead. They make ho hum titles.

nitewulf

astro boy ps2 videos looked pretty good, and i read a few reviews of the GBA version, obviously that one turned out well (not made by sega though). blood will tell looks pretty generic, but i wanna check that out. props for bringing out otogi 2 (again, not a sega game). so that leaves outrun 2 and VF quest (which looks like crap). the spikeout extreme pictures from E3 obviously lessened my interest...still could be fun, who knows.

Reunite Team Andromeda (all of the members are still employed in the games industry) and get working on Panzer Dragoon Saga 2 for PS3.

In the hardcore community, no other game would restore respect to Sega faster.

The hardcore community only respects sales. Until Sega is making blockbuster games on a consistent basis, people will continue top disrespect. We both know only a few care about a panzer dragoon rpg.

Top Bottom