• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Vintage Col. 2012 |OT| Streets Of Rage! Golden Axe! Monster World! Alex Kidd!

Rlan

200px-SegaVintageCollection_logo.png

Over the next two weeks, the Xbox Live Arcade will be receiving 12 new classic SEGA titles in 4 packs. So instead of separate Official Topics, let's start a big one!

Best of all, these new packs are not developed by Backbone! Instead, they're emulated by M2 -- who are notable for doing the Virtual Console emulation and the excellent PS2 collections!

Alex Kidd & Co

alexkiddco.png

Release Date: May 23rd, 2012 (XBLA)
Price: 800MSP on XBLA, $4.99 each on PSN.

The weird collection of the lot, as it’s not a collection of one series, but instead a mish-mash of other titles. It’s also the one collection that spans three separate system generations -- Arcade, Master System and Mega Drive.

Features:

- Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Master System): The only Master System title of the lot, Miracle World was the first Alex Kidd game and also the one that was built-in to most Sega Master System II machines. Alex Kidd in on a search for his long lost brother Prince Egle who was captured by the antagonist of the game, the evil tyrant called Janken the Great.

alex-kidd-in-miracle-world_00.png
alex-kidd-in-miracle-world_01.png
alex-kidd-in-miracle-world.kr-bios3.png

Super Hang On (Arcade): The long ignored Sega Racing series, Super Hang-On is basically the Motorbike equivelant of Outrun, except with set “stages” rather than branching paths.

118124217620.png
118124217619.png
118124217618.png

Revenge Of Shinobi (Mega Drive / Genesis): The first of the Mega Drive Shinobi titles, ROS was known as one of the best action titles out for the system. Taking place three years after the first game, the criminal organization Zeed from the original game has since reformed and have renamed themselves "Neo Zeed." Neo Zeed decide to have their revenge on the Oboro Ninja clan and Joe Musashi by killing his master and kidnapping Joe's bride, Naoko. Joe, having reached the clan too late, manages to learn about Neo Zeed's plot by his dying master. Joe decides to travel the world to gain his revenge on Neo Zeed as well as try to save his bride before it's too late.

rshinobi-1.png
rshinobi-3.png
rshinobi-8.png

Monster World Collection

monsterworld.png

Release Date: May 23rd, 2012 (XBLA)
Price: 800MSP on XBLA, $4.99 each on PSN.

Beginning its life as Wonder Boy, a game where a dude in a grass skirt kills snails and rides a skateboard, the series soon became a side scrolling RPG-lite title with swords, transformations and magic as it began to mould itself into the Monster World series.

This collection contains only 3 of the 6 titles in the series, and it’s missing Dragon’s Trap, one that might have been a personal favourite to most Master System enthusiasts. However the game has gone that extra step in other ways, with two of these titles being translated into English for the first time.

Features:

Wonder Boy In Monster Land (Arcade): The Arcade original version of Monster Land, translated for the first time in English. Players will remember this mostly from the Master System version. The MEKA Dragon is terrorizing the land, and it’s up to Bock Lee "Tom-Tom" Temjin to sort it out.

wonder_boy_in_monster_land_japan_old_ver_mc-8123_317-0043.png
Wonder-Boy-in-Monster-Land.png
wb2arcade-1.png

Wonder Boy In Monster World (Mega Drive / Genesis): The 5th Wonder Boy title and last to feature its name, Monster World has you fighting through Dungeons as Shion as he vows to make the Monster World region reaceful again.

wb4-4.png
wb4-gen.png
wb4-3.png

Monster World IV (Mega Drive / Genesis): The final Monster World title and one that never actually made it over to the West, so this version is freshly translated into English for the first time!. The game also removed the Wonder Boy name altogether, as you now control a girl! The story involves a young girl named Asha, who upon hearing spirits whisper on the wind pleading for help, embarks on a journey to find and aid them.

wb5-4.png
wb5-3.png
wb5-5.png

Golden Axe Collection

Release Date: May 30th, 2012 (XBLA)
Price: 800MSP on XBLA, not coming to PSN.

goldenaxe1.png

Grab your axe, swords, and mythic steeds to fight against evil in all three classic Golden Axe entries! Originally released for the Sega Genesis, the classic fantasy brawler series has now been updated for release on Xbox LIVE Arcade! Earn all new achievements, take on challenging new game trials, compete with others players across Xbox LIVE Leaderboards, and take on the forces of evil with a friend in two player local and online co-op!

Golden Axe (Arcade): The original Arcade version of Golden Axe, as you fight with Ax Battler, Gillius Thunderhead and Tyris Flare to defeat the evil Death Adder. This is the one that was originally released on the XBLA some years ago, but this is a fresh, new emulation of it.

goldenaxe-1.png
goldenaxe-12.png
goldenaxe-4.png

Golden Axe II (Mega Drive / Genesis): Golden Axe II was developed solely for the Genesis, bypassing any arcade ports, although it later showed up on the Sega Genesis Collection for the PS2 and PSP. It's perhaps a bit TOO much like the original in practically all aspects. Gilius, Tyris and Ax Battler are back this time around, to defeat the evil Dark Guld.

goldenaxe2-4.png
goldenaxe2-12.png
goldenaxe2-13.png

Golden Axe III (Mega Drive / Genesis): Golden Axe III only saw a retail release in Japan, and was only seen on the SEGA Channel in the states, but the large amount of collections out there has made this moot. This game also allows you to choose one of 4 characters: Kain Grinder, Sarah Barn, Braoude Cragger or Chronos "Evil" Lait.

goldenaxe3-4.png
goldenaxe3-5.png
goldenaxe3-10.png

Streets of Rage Collection

streetscoll.png

Release Date: May 30th, 2012 (XBLA)
Price: 800MSP on XBLA, not coming to PSN.

Join Axel, Blaze, and company as they battle the evil Mr. X across all three Streets of Rage games. Originally released for the Sega Genesis, the classic brawler series has now been updated for release on Xbox LIVE Arcade! Earn all new achievements, take on challenging new game trials, compete with others players across Xbox LIVE Leaderboards, and clean up the streets with a friend in two player local and online co-op!

Features:

Streets of Rage (Megadrive / Genesis): The first title brings Axel, Blade and Adam together to fight crime on the streets. A huge game for its time.

Streets%20of%20Rage-1.gif
Streets%20of%20Rage-7.gif
Streets%20of%20Rage-16.gif

Streets of Rage II (Megadrive / Genesis): A big sequel brought the likes of the roller blading “cool kid” Skate to the game, as well as Max -- a giant, powerful character. This game was originally released separately on XBLA, but now is part of this collection with a fresh coat of emulation.

Streets%20of%20Rage%202-4.gif
Streets%20of%20Rage%202-20.gif
Streets%20of%20Rage%202-31.gif

Streets of Rage 3 (Megadrive / Genesis): The last Streets of Rage game to come out, Streets of Rage 3 sees Mr. X back again, this time heading RoboCy Corporation as a front for his criminal operations. He's employing a roboticist named Dr. Dahm to develop robots to replace the city's elected officials, as part of his grand scheme to take over the city yet again. He's also kidnapped the chief of police, because... well, that's just what beat-em-up villains do. After our heroes are alerted to this plan by a man named Dr. Zan, they set out to kick ass. Adam is still M.I.A., but Axel, Blaze, and Skate are back. They're also joined by Dr. Zan himself.

Streets%20of%20Rage%203-28.gif
Streets%20of%20Rage%203-1.gif
Streets%20of%20Rage%203-24.gif

Reviews:

But who emulated?

M2 according to another thread I read on here. Backbone Entertainment has done pretty much all of the "SEGA Vintage Collection" ports up until now. I already own SoR2... but I'm still tempted to get this pack for 800MS points. I guess it depends if they throw any extras in that are worthwhile... JAP versions would be nice.

Already have most of these games through other collections/services, but it's nice to see Sega getting them out there for everyone, I hope the trend continues for them.

The Monster World games will be mine though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Super Hang-On, brought to us by M2.

I am so insanely excited. Though I'm curious to see if there's any difference in port quality between the XBLA and PSN versions.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Streets of Rage and Golden Axe collections not gracing PSN?
I thought we were past that kind of stuff, especially for stuff like this.

M2 also made the fantastic Neo Geo ports to PSN, sometimes even adding new optional features. this will be a great treat.

indeed. i don't need those games, but i'd love to hear the reason behind this (if true).

Game Guru

It's likely because the three Golden Axe games and the three Streets of Rage games are already available on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, which is on PS3. Neither the Monster World games nor Super Hang-On, Revenge of Shinobi, and Alex Kidd in Miracle World are already available on the PS3. I remember that Sonic 3 & Sonic & Knuckles didn't appear on PSN either, despite the fact that the versions on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection didn't have Lock-On. Meanwhile Gunstar Heroes did appear on PSN but was not on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's likely because the three Golden Axe games and the three Streets of Rage games are already available on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, which is on PS3. Neither the Monster World games nor Super Hang-On, Revenge of Shinobi, and Alex Kidd in Miracle World are already available on the PS3. I remember that Sonic 3 & Sonic & Knuckles didn't appear on PSN either, despite the fact that the versions on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection didn't have Lock-On.
But that same collection is available on 360.
And both services have stand alone Golden Axe and SoR 2 on their download stores. (the backbone ones)

Game Guru

But that same collection is available on 360.
And both services have stand alone Golden Axe and SoR 2 on their download stores. (the backbone ones)

Huh... That's interesting. MS is generally less strict about ports than Sony is, but considering you are right about Golden Axe and Streets of Rage 2's availability on PSN, this is kind of cruddy for PS3 users. This is definitely strange.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I deposited another 3200 allards into my Xbox Live account. I'm getting all four XBLA collections and Virtua Fighter 5 FS to support Sega.

RedBoot

It sucks that the games will ultimately cost more on PSN, but I guess if you only want one, you save some money. Most people interested in these are going to want several, though.

But, if you're the trophy-collecting type, it's worth noting that each game has its own Trophy set on PSN, while on the 360 you've just got the Achievements per collection. So while Monster World 4 will only have 3-4 achievements on the 360 (as part of the Collections's achievement set), it'll get a full set of 10-12 trophies to itself on PSN. So I guess that's worth something.

Planning on getting the full set of Monster World games and probably Alex Kidd on PSN. Maybe Hang-on too.

consoul

FAIL. Golden Axe Collection doesn't include the best game in the series:
Golden Axe: the Revenge of Death Adder.

...and yet, I'm OK with it, because the value of my arcade GA:tRoDA is not diminished.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hyped for Wonder Boy. Kinda aucks there's no SoR and GA coming to PSN but that's kinda understandable.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Streets of Rage 2 and 3 are worthy of the honor of being entirely remade. I guess we have to fund it by buying this version?

The only reason Sonic CD was re-released at all is because some Sonic fan remade it on his own and then offered it to them. If it required any real effort on Sega's part they wouldn't have bothered.

ksdixon

I don't understand, are we going to be able to purchase each of these games seperately if we want to? I want Revenge Of Shinobi, but I don't want Alex Kid and whatever else was in that 'pack'.

A shame it's the arcade version of Golden Axe 1, the MegaDrive version had an extra two levels added to it.

I really must resist the urge to go and get Sonic1-3,Sonic&Knuckles, GA1-3, SOR1-3, RoS seperately from XBLA, I already have 'Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection', which had them all except for Revenge Of Shinobi and Sonic&Knuckles.

Has Sega straight up said that the remaining Golden Axe and Streets of Rage games aren't coming to PSN, or are we just guessing?

I figure they won't, but considering this is M2, who is not afraid to dig into the game roms and tweak, I'm a little curious if Streets of Rage III will see any further tweaks. Restoring Ash? Probably not. Reversing SoA's silly "gender neutral" recoloring? Hopefully. Adding the pretty much finished Motorbike stages back in, or included as an extra? Would be nice.

Sounds like a pipe dream (and it would be if this was Backbone), but M2 does some nice work usually, especially with releases like Treasure Box.

I'll probably pick up the Monster World collection myself. I remember playing through part of Dragon's Curse I think on my Wii VC and really liking it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Release date for these games on PSN are May 22 btw.

Shito

Monster World collection is crap -- should have been the whole Wonder Boy collection, like they released for the PS2 a few years ago. :(
I would have bought it again, just for ease of use.

Heck, it doesn't even feature the first one, which is by far my favorite in the entire serie (Dragon's Trap being a good second, but alas is also missing here).

Galdelico

Please SEGA include a region switch for these games (at least SoR, but it would be so cool if every single one had it), please.

puss_in_boots_big_eyes_antonio_banderas_shrek_01.jpeg

Sophia

Stretch wide screen option?
Sonic CD HD set the standard.. Why do I have to accept bordered 4:3 crap?
Streets of Rage 2 and 3 are worthy of the honor of being entirely remade. I guess we have to fund it by buying this version?

You realize you're asking for a lot more than you think you are, right? Sonic CD was basically done by a fan, and it's far far easier just to put the games in their original native aspect ratio. Besides. Playing it stretched ruins the visuals.

Please SEGA include a region switch for these games (at least SoR, but it would be so cool if every single one had it), please.

Wouldn't mind a region switch for Streets of Rage 3 at all, given it's difficulty is different between the US and Japanese releases.

Tizoc

The name of the main character of Classic Shinobi series is Joe? Really SEGA? Ah well there was Yabuki Joe so cool I guess...

Top Bottom