• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Vintage Col. 2012 |OT| Streets Of Rage! Golden Axe! Monster World! Alex Kidd!

Galdelico

Next week is Golden Axe and Streets of Rage.
Unfortunately, still no Revenge of DA tho. :D

Slightly OT, Golden Axe related: I always played - on XBLA as well - the western version of the arcade game... Is there any difference between japanese and US/EU arcade Golden Axe?

Tain: No problem mate. I feel the same genuine joy. :D

Rlan

What about Revenge of Death Adder :(

Still doesn't exist according to Sega :p It's still Golden Axe 1, 2 and 3.

They should probably have also thrown in Golden Axe Warrior and Ax Battler for shit and giggles too.

I wonder if M2 did hide some stuff in here somewhere. The PS2 Space Harrier collection had Game Gear versions of stuff hidden away, and Treasure Box had the Game Gear and Master system versions of Dynamite Heady hidden too.

madmackem

I wanted alex the kid so badly as a kid but my mam bought me a nes not long before and wouldnt spring for a mastersystem to this day ive never bought a copy i think i will change that.

Mantrox

Can somebody summarize the diferences between Backbone's and M2's aproach on emulating these titles?

I ask this because looking at the Sega Genesis Ultimate Collection, it has pretty much what i want and a bit more.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Wow, Super Hang On is even in 3D! Awesome.

Only thing missing for me is more scan line options. I find the included scan lines a little harsh.

Rlan

Can somebody summarize the diferences between Backbone's and M2's aproach on emulating these titles?

I ask this because looking at the Sega Genesis Ultimate Collection, it has pretty much what i want and a bit more.

Just "care" really. The emulation for Backbone's stuff is all over the place, from bad to pretty good. Megadrive sound is a bitch to get right, and they never could.

Lame achievements, generally poor menu structure, lack of options. Just a general "cheap" feel.

M2 seem to go that extra mile, with these new packs each game has all versions available to you if you wish to check them out, a jukebox mode to listen to the music, and all the games have extra challenges that they've specifically made for this version. In the Alex Kidd missions they have you try to get as much money as possible in a few minutes, or beat one of the peticopter levels within a time limit.

They didn't have to do any of this, but they did it anyway. Makes it like they cared about the process and the games.

Blunt

Banned
I remember reading somewhere that M2 emulate each game individually where Backbone makes one emulator for a system and dump game ROM's on top, hence the inconsistent quality.

Also, M2 doesn't try to 'improve' classic games with fuck-awful new artwork and such plastered everywhere.

Still doesn't exist according to Sega :p It's still Golden Axe 1, 2 and 3.

They should probably have also thrown in Golden Axe Warrior and Ax Battler for shit and giggles too.

I wonder if M2 did hide some stuff in here somewhere. The PS2 Space Harrier collection had Game Gear versions of stuff hidden away, and Treasure Box had the Game Gear and Master system versions of Dynamite Heady hidden too.

Man, I loved Golden Axe Warrior back in the day. GAW, Dragon's Trap, Y's, Golvellius, ... /nostalgia

Monster World Collection on XBLA yet?

I've already playing it. Also you can record replays and upload them. And the widescreen mode is almost the same as in Sonic CD. It looks great, also scanlines.
Did M2 use the retro engine? It almost seems that way. M2 also did the best cave port to date: Mushihimesama Futari.

ikaruga

Neo Member
On my 360 I purchased the fast boots from stage 2 on wonderboy in monsterland.

Did regrettably induce some screen tearing, it can hopefully get patched.

Mantrox

Just "care" really. The emulation for Backbone's stuff is all over the place, from bad to pretty good. Megadrive sound is a bitch to get right, and they never could.

Lame achievements, generally poor menu structure, lack of options. Just a general "cheap" feel.

M2 seem to go that extra mile, with these new packs each game has all versions available to you if you wish to check them out, a jukebox mode to listen to the music, and all the games have extra challenges that they've specifically made for this version. In the Alex Kidd missions they have you try to get as much money as possible in a few minutes, or beat one of the peticopter levels within a time limit.

They didn't have to do any of this, but they did it anyway. Makes it like they cared about the process and the games.

Damn, that's pretty major.

Guess i will have to suck it up and pay 800 to get me some SoR goodness.

Galdelico

On my 360 I purchased the fast boots from stage 2 on wonderboy in monsterland.

Did regrettably induce some screen tearing, it can hopefully get patched.
Even if you play with your screen set in Dot by Dot?
M2 actually introduced it in NeoGeo Station video settings in order to emulate 1:1 each game screen ratio/refresh rate and to get rid of the tearing on HD tvs.

The only reason Sonic CD was re-released at all is because some Sonic fan remade it on his own and then offered it to them. If it required any real effort on Sega's part they wouldn't have bothered.

Then why, oh why, did they shut down Streets of Rage Remake?

Tomasooie

The presentation (as well as every other aspect) on these is out of this world.
The game selection screen alone is awesome. Take notes, Backbone. Or just stay out of the emulation game entirely, because M2 is in the fucking house, and they do Sega justice.
So much love.

BUY THIS SHIT, FOLKS.

GrayFoxPL

Wow, Super Hang On is even in 3D! Awesome.

Only thing missing for me is more scan line options. I find the included scan lines a little harsh.

Played Super Hang-On whole freaking day! Very easy trophies btw.

No 6 on leaderboards - come at me GAF! ;)

The presentation (as well as every other aspect) on these is out of this world.
The game selection screen alone is awesome. Take notes, Backbone. Or just stay out of the emulation game entirely, because M2 is in the fucking house, and they do Sega justice.
So much love.

BUY THIS SHIT, FOLKS.

M2 is amazing! Hire them for EVERYTHING.
more Neo Geo Station titles plz

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Might buy Super Hang-On on PSN just so I don't have to deal with Alex Kidd being on my system in any way, shape, or form.

Playing WBiMW is such a huge nostalgia trip. This is the first time I've played it since the 90's. So good

I played this one for the first time about 4-5 years ago on Genesis and found it oddly and pleasantly compelling at that time. It was a great suedo nostalgia trip for me because even though I hadn't played it back in the day, the graphics, sound and design were just so quintessential of the era that bridged 8- and 16-bit. Just fun to play. I am stoked about playing MW4. Planning to buy at least 3 of these collections to show support (not sure about GA).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Then why, oh why, did they shut down Streets of Rage Remake?

Also remember that SOR Remake was a composite work by a large amount of creators, some not even available on the project anymore, from what I understand. Not sure if all the spritework was original, either.

A re-compile, re-configuration of a work using all the original assets (Sonic CD) is a bit different from something that has so many original, outsourced, group-created elements.

Really DO hope Sega does something with the SORR idea, though. their digital-focused style now makes me think it might still be possible to see something of the sort.

GrayFoxPL

Because M2 will offer a great SoR Collection. Well not as great as the Remake, but close.
Guys imagine the Megadrive Aladdin done by M2. I would kill for it.

I hope you guys take a look at M2 Neo Geo PSN conversions now. The Sega classic are ported in the same way, so on Neo Geo you also have perfect ports, all the rich options, region settings, manual, backgrounds and online play.

Support M2 so Backbone can get lost.

Tomasooie

It has side-by-side 3D and 2 colour variants.

Yep, proper 3D AND the red-blue anaglyph 3D.

I don't have a 3D HDTV, but I do have some anaglyph glasses (actually Sega branded; my friend got them from some GameStop thing).

It looks excellent. I had to select the black and white option and change the focal point to far to get it to look the best. So many options; I can't believe how thorough they were.

bjork

Picked them both up, still fun games. Arcade Super Hang-On makes the Genesis one feel slow in comparison. It's nice that there doesn't seem to be any differences in the sound effects or music on these games, too. I like this purchase.

Dizzy

Banned
Ok just bought alex kidd. In the options theres a setting called 'game version' and theres north america, master system II, europe and japan. Anything differences with these?

bjork

Ok just bought alex kidd. In the options theres a setting called 'game version' and theres north america, master system II, europe and japan. Anything differences with these?

I know the Master System II one is where he eats a hamburger instead of a rice ball. Not sure other than that.

Dizzy

Banned
I know the Master System II one is where he eats a hamburger instead of a rice ball. Not sure other than that.

I wasn't sure to go with Europe or MS2, as I grew up with a european MS2. Trying the Europe setting now and it's slower than the MS2 option, music is slower too. PAL curse I guess. Seems like the Wii VC version now.

Slermy

I've already playing it. Also you can record replays and upload them. And the widescreen mode is almost the same as in Sonic CD. It looks great, also scanlines.
Did M2 use the retro engine? It almost seems that way. M2 also did the best cave port to date: Mushihimesama Futari.

Woah, hold the phone. It has widescreen support? Damn. I own the Sega Ages PS2 release, but I think I'll be double dipping!

goldenpp72

Woah, hold the phone. It has widescreen support? Damn. I own the Sega Ages PS2 release, but I think I'll be double dipping!

Seems like bullshit to me, it just stretches the shit out of the picture on my end anyways. Sonic cd did it natively and looked awesome for it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I hope you guys take a look at M2 Neo Geo PSN conversions now. The Sega classic are ported in the same way, so on Neo Geo you also have perfect ports, all the rich options, region settings, manual, backgrounds and online play.

Support M2 so Backbone can get lost.

Mm... I remember something being fucked up in the Metal Slug port... I think it was the hit flashes. Just like on the Wii, but it was fucked up in a different way.

But that's the only time I've seen M2 mess something up.

Tain

I didn't realize both of these were coming out today, and I didn't realize the next two were next week.

Between Dragon's Dogma, these, and Mushihimesama HD (should be coming tomorrow)?

what the fuck am i going to do

Seems like bullshit to me, it just stretches the shit out of the picture on my end anyways. Sonic cd did it natively and looked awesome for it.

585280202cn7wd.jpg

Top Bottom