• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Vintage Col. 2012 |OT| Streets Of Rage! Golden Axe! Monster World! Alex Kidd!

Tizoc

Yeah, if I remember correctly, it was Joe Musashi in Japan as well.
Edit - sorry, useless reply. :D

Yeah I thought it was an odd name but then I thought he may be named after an anime/manga character from the 70s, and then I remember Joe from Gatchaman XP
Will buy these next week after I get my salary and load up $20 into my account.
For now I'll get Super Hang-on.

Rlan

So, what other collections can we reasonably expect?

The images I did for the OT were based on some of the original "Vintage Collection" fakes I made a month or so ago, as I was dissatisfied with the actual box arts that these games use.

The Alex Kidd & Co collection sort of flubs it a bit, since those games could easily fit within their own collections like so:

alexkiddcollection.png
shinobicollection.png

Based on that though, and based on the games we've seen in previous Genesis collections, I'd say these are the most likely, if at all:

shiningcollection.png
wonderboycollection.png

sonicside.png
sonic8bitcollection.png

treasurecollection.png
eccocollection1.png

ristarcollection.png
phantasystar.png

And if there's a god:

mickeycollection.png
donaldcollection.png

The main issue is that it feels like Sega gets one chance to do these a year, so this might be it for 2012. They're doing Jet Set Radio HD and Virtua Fighter 5, and we have games like "Hell Yeah!" on the way as well. They might actually run out of publishing slots at this point (if there is a maximum)

I really wonder how much work M2 put in this? Usually they do a great job. I want Monster World IV so bad :/ But don't know if it's 800msp worth. Guess I have to wait for the demo.

Aru

The ports are done by M2 ? Great news ! I hope Sony offers them to PS+ users, like they did before. Too bad, GA and SoR Collections aren't coming to PSN :( I already have the Backbone version of Golden Axe 1 arcade and Streets of Rage 2 though.

clockpunk

Is it really too much to hope that Toejam & Earl might see a modern release in one of these 'best of' colelctions...? :-/

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wouldn't mind a region switch for Streets of Rage 3 at all, given it's difficulty is different between the US and Japanese releases.

Which actually made a huge difference. The US version simply wasn't enjoyable. The Japanese version? Arguably the best game in the series.

androvsky

They're out on PSN now! How's the emulation?

As far as I can tell, excellent. I only bought Monster World IV and I never touched the original so if something's a bit off, I couldn't tell. But there no obvious input lag, there's plenty of nice options like saving replays, a full jukebox of the BGM, and different backgrounds. And when you turn off the blurry filter, it actually turns off. Very nice and sharp; no wonder everyone's always so cheesed at Backbone, M2 does great work. Yes, it's really M2, their logo pops up when you start the game. :)

As for Monster World IV itself, it's actually a lot better than I expected. Really loving it so far (almost through the first temple, I think).

@MUWANdo

Banned
Is it really too much to hope that Toejam & Earl might see a modern release in one of these 'best of' colelctions...? :-/

The TJ&E license is owned by one of the co-creators of the original game, so Sega has to pay them royalties every time it's released. It's on Steam but it's always separated from the big bundle sales they do every now and again, so there's probably some contractual reason that keeps them from lumping it in with other games.

Rlan

So I've been able to grab a code for the collections, and man they're thorough! They have a ton of different versions in there!

Super Hang On: Mini Ride-on Type, Upright Type
Revenge of Shinobi: Japan, Europe, USA
Alex Kidd in Miracle World: North America, Master System II (Hamburger), Europe, Japan

And

Wonder Boy In Monster Land: English, Japanese
Wonder Boy In Monster World: Japan, North America, Europe
Monsterworld 4: English, Japanese

It doesn't go down the route of "Master System version of Monster Land" or anything, but it's really cool. Haven't checked if Shinobi has Spider-Man etc in it.

Also the opening sequences are sweet, complete with Master System boot up sound.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Haven't checked if Shinobi has Spider-Man etc in it.

I would be very surprised if it does. It'll probably use the latest edited version that was released for VC, where they turned not-Spiderman pink and messed with the dude's face on the title screen so they wouldn't have to pay for his likeness.

EDIT: if it's the newest version it won't have a Marvel disclaimer before the title screen.

Figures that the site I write for doesn't bother to request codes.

*sigh* Oh well. I just bought both collections. They're fuckin' sweet. Get them.

I want all of them, but for now I am leaning towards Super Hang On and Revenge of Shinobi. Such classics with awesome music also. Tempting....

They should have done (an arcade) Super Hang On/Turbo Outrun/Power Drift bundle instead of sticking it in with those shitty old console games, it makes no sense.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wow. Are there any important differences between those versions that make one version superior?

For these particular games, no, but there were a lot of changes made to Streets of Rage 3 during localisation--one of the bosses was moved, the difficulty was cranked way up, the palettes for each character were changed for no real reason, the story is much different--so being able to play the original Japanese version will be a big drawcard for some, I imagine.

Monster World is slightly different--the Japanese version is significantly easier, it doesn't even have game-overs AFAIK--but the rest are more-or-less identical.

So I bought the Monster World Collection, because M2 are godlike. Monster World IV looks great in widescreen.
I'm really thinking about to get the Streets of Rage Collection, too.

Screen options are glorious as you can expect from M2. You can even select scanlines.

You can even upload replays?

Not at all, I bought The Super Shinobi when it first came out but it's been bundled in these kinds of collections more than enough times.

I could understand if it was the Mega Drive's port of Super Hang On in there but the arcade port is just so out of place, it deserves better and more unusual games than those.

Yeah you are probably right there with Turbo Outrun, chuck Galaxy Force in there instead! Power Drift would still be ok, the trackside signs where already changed for the Game Works port iirc.

They labeled the screen settings wrong.

They have 16:9 and 4:3 settings reversed for Alex Kidd and co.

Its also labeled wrong for Wonder Boy

Rlan

They should have done (an arcade) Super Hang On/Turbo Outrun/Power Drift bundle instead of sticking it in with those shitty old console games, it makes no sense.

Even an Super Hang On / Space Harrier / After Burner (or Outrun) makes more sense. I mean these three are across 3 platforms!

Also if you were able to complete Miracle World back in the day, you're a god amongst men. The castle bits are totally boned and
that button sequence thing at the end is a god damn nightmare

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Also if you were able to complete Miracle World back in the day, you're a god amongst men. The castle bits are totally boned and
that button sequence thing at the end is a god damn nightmare

I got my Master System in 1989 or 1990 (can't remember, but I was either 5 or 6 when I got it). I didn't manage to complete Miracle World until I was like 13. The game is manageable until the final castle level, where it just gets hard as shit.

Tizoc

The games will be on EU PSN tonight, but apparently they're cheaper on US PSN by at least $1. I know which games I want to get but...how is Revenge of Shinobi on PSN compared to the Genesis Collection? I'd appreciate some comparisons if possible.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I know which games I want to get but...how is Revenge of Shinobi on PSN compared to the Genesis Collection? I'd appreciate some comparisons if possible.
I may be wrong, but I think Revenge of Shinobi isn't even part of the Genesis Collection.

I may be wrong, but I think Revenge of Shinobi isn't even part of the Genesis Collection.

You're correct. On the Collection is Shinobi 3. And even then, M2 did a great job. I'll definitely will get the Streets of Rage Collection to play Streets of Rage 2 again, this time in the best version out there ( Beside you know ..).

Galdelico

Can someone confirm region switches? If they're in, I'm buying all of these immediately.
Yep.
You can select US/European/Japanese ROMs in: Alex Kidd, all the Monster World games and Shinobi. Alex Kidd even allows you to play the Master System II game.
Super Hang On doesn't have the option - maybe it was just the same game worldwide? - but you can still chose which version (easy/hard) you want to play.

It's M2 heaven, Tain. :D

Edit - Talking about the two XBLA Vintage Collections here... I'm pretty sure the same options are into the single PSN games tho.

Blunt

Banned
Just downloaded Monster World and Alex Kid & Co. Region Switches, scanline options, smoothing defaulted to off. Fucking classy.

I don't want to see Backbone touching another old game again with their ham-fisted half-arsed efforts because M2 are retro and emulation gods. You can see the effort and feel the love. I'll be blind buying any and all packs they put out in future.

Top Bottom