• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Vintage Col. 2012 |OT| Streets Of Rage! Golden Axe! Monster World! Alex Kidd!

Gaspode_T

I'm kind of confused how the Streets and Golden Axe 1 games are so different than what was previously released...they feel like completely different games than the crappy emulation Backbone? did...either way it's interesting that it defaults to Streets of Rage II and Golden Axe II. I don't even have that much memories of Golden Axe II and III so it's fun to play them.

I have created a session for the first streets of rage... Never played it before and would like a partner. Someone please join up!

Gt: emperor bohe

I'm kind of confused how the Streets and Golden Axe 1 games are so different than what was previously released...they feel like completely different games than the crappy emulation Backbone? did...either way it's interesting that it defaults to Streets of Rage II and Golden Axe II. I don't even have that much memories of Golden Axe II and III so it's fun to play them.

Yeah, it's crazy isn't it? Just finished a game of SORII and the controls felt way smoother, I was pulling off all the combos I used to do back in the day. Was there some input lag or something on Backbone's port?

beat the first SoR games today...hopefully I can knock out the 3rd one tomorrow. I've never played it before....anything to expect?

beat the first SoR games today...hopefully I can knock out the 3rd one tomorrow. I've never played it before....anything to expect?

Set the region to Japan if you don't mind the story being in Japanese. The game difficulty is balanced better, and you generally get to experience the game in its complete form. Also, the game is FAST compared to the first two.

Oh yes. Bare Knuckle 3 is the definitive version.
Sega of America had a lot of bad ideas when they did Streets of Rage 3. Dropping Ash was understandable but SoR3 also has lower enemy counts who depending on the difficulty can do a ridiculous amount of damage with even a single punch. It's like their intention was "hey you get a bunch of lives and continues so you may as well use them". Plus just plain dumb stuff like Axel's "gender-neutral" piss-covered shirt. PLUS enemies having ridiculous amounts of life.

Also the game just plain feels different, in the wrong way. Like some slight edits were made in the mechanics that turn the game from what should have been the best in the series to the...well certainly not the worst because SoR 1 blows but you know what I mean.

BK3 still has issues with its pacing and the milking that renders playing for score fairly moot but IMO it's the best in the series. The ability to run, dodge-roll, and control jumps in mid-air adds so much maneuverability to the game. Capcom brawlers are still king but BK3 is one of the best to ever grace a console.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I can't give BK3 the edge over SOR2 just because I find the entire middle stretch of the game to be kinda dull. Too many little things hold it down: stage locales, train track gimmicks that overstay their welcome and then some, a lot of the music, etc. Still a competent game, but yeah.

I can't give BK3 the edge over SOR2 just because I find the entire middle stretch of the game to be kinda dull. Too many little things hold it down: stage locales, train track gimmicks that overstay their welcome and then some, a lot of the music, etc. Still a competent game, but yeah.

BK3 is loaded with gimmicks. Gimmick stages, gimmick bosses(hell all 7 are gimmicks in one way or another), gimmick sections(bulldozer). Still on the basis of controls alone I consider it the better game. That and SoR2 becomes a lot less fun when the enemy AI gets their upgrade about 2/3rds of the way through.

I prefer the soundtrack as well *shrug*.

Ok, so for someone not intimately familiar with the series what are the best region choices for the first two games? Looks like BK3 > SoR3 based on the above posts.

Likely going to play this with my 10-year-old nephew this weekend. I love exposing kids to the classics...

TheNatural

My Member!
Never played BK3, but the fact it doesn't have the goofy replacement cyborg shit plot I've heard, is a positive. Dr. Zan is still a cyborg though right? Dumbest cliched character ever.

Sega really should've done some 'buy them all get a discount' thing like they do for XBLA Summer games.

I probably would have bought all 3 in that case

Edit: still noone has joined my bk3 session =(

Edit 2: just beat it....not as good as sor2 =(

Ok, so for someone not intimately familiar with the series what are the best region choices for the first two games? Looks like BK3 > SoR3 based on the above posts.

Likely going to play this with my 10-year-old nephew this weekend. I love exposing kids to the classics...

I'm planning to do the same with my nephew. I got him hooked on beat-em-ups already!

As for the region choices, I don't remember there being any differences in the first game, so I would leave that on US.

SoR2, I vote for Japan region. There is no text, besides the opening, so that is not a problem. The differences are mostly cosmetic, but awesome. Blaze's flying kick animation is different and has a ton of animation (flowing hair <3). It also has different range because the hit box is different. It seems to have a more horizontal reach than the US version sprite.

I want a spot-on port of the Mega Drive Treasure games to XBLA/PSN, SEGA. Better yet: just port the Treasure Box in its entirety, alongside new online features. That'll do.

Galdelico

Yeah, it's crazy isn't it? Just finished a game of SORII and the controls felt way smoother, I was pulling off all the combos I used to do back in the day. Was there some input lag or something on Backbone's port?
The two Golden Axe arcade feel to me like proper different games.

Still need to finish SoR 1. I'm in stage 7, man I hate this game. BK III is great, but stuff like the bulldozer is a totally turnoff for me. But playing with Roo is fun. Overall I like SoR 2 the most.

Endo Punk

100%'d Revenge of Shinobi, it was the first game I ever completed back in the 90s, actually started Sonic first but Shinobi just hooked me and I had to complete it before playing Sonic again. Im also glad to say Spiderman and Batman have not been taken out, course they don't look like the characters but rather cheap knock-off. Which is actually pretty apt since they're the bosses of the China stage.

edit: Also, any SoR fan should watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek1w1V2vrf0
That video let me to this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQTJ7GA2Kk0&feature=watch_response

And I laughed so hard.

Tizoc

100%'d Revenge of Shinobi, it was the first game I ever completed back in the 90s, actually started Sonic first but Shinobi just hooked me and I had to complete it before playing Sonic again. Im also glad to say Spiderman and Batman have not been taken out, course they don't look like the characters but rather cheap knock-off. Which is actually pretty apt since they're the bosses of the China stage.

That video let me to this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQTJ7GA2Kk0&feature=watch_response

And I laughed so hard.

What region must I set the game to for the Spidey and Bats bosses to show up?

Conan-san

This video is evidence of Backbone's sheer laziness in emulating classics proper.

Yeah, also the way they set up emulators ended up messing up a lot of things, the XBLA (and PSN? Can't remember) version of Sonic 3 + Knuckles didn't allow non state saving so no running though Angel Island 1 as Super/Hyper Sonic/Tails/Knuckles for you.

The Big Megadrive collection they put out had no Online play

Their port of MVC 2 was utterly atrocious.

DeVeAn

I own these so many times but want support the great work/justice on these classics. Maybe SOR first.

Dat Golden Axe 3 music when you've selected the game in the arcade room! Damn just listened to that for about 15 minute.

This is my first real playing of part 3. I had always thought it was inferior, its actually good.

I love that all 3 games and they all have great music. Part 1 started it all, part 2 is quicker and provides a better challenge and part 3 is the series all grown up.

Doomshine

I tried Wonder Boy in Monster World today at my brother's house and had a great time, so much nostalgia... that was immediately ruined when I wanted put the saves on my memory stick and continue at home. Why in the
monster
world would you lock the saves for this game!? :(

ikaruga

Neo Member
MY GOD THAT WAS HARD!!!

I finally completed Wonderboy in Monsterland and can sleep at night again. Didnt do it with all the legendary equiptment though.

Had to have a couple of beers to keep my focus.

Its hard to judge which I prefer more, ghouls n ghosts or WBML. WBML could be winning it for me with the classic sega blue skies pallette. Both hard games that came out a year apart. Both excellent.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Shinobi was fucking hard. Will not play it again. :<

Tain

Is that Shinobi 3? If so, I really, really like it. Not quite as much as the prequel, but it's still one of the best games on the platform. I think I prefer it to Revenge aesthetically, too.

Yeah, that's the game. I haven't played Revenge yet, but Return's one of my favorite action-scrollers. I dare say it has the better soundtrack, too (though Koshiro's still my main man).

Not a week goes by that I don't put on a few tracks from Shinobi 3. Virtuosic soundtrack. It's got mad beats, phat bass, catchy hooks, funky rhythms, thick atmosphere, holy fuck it's so good

Rlan

Later today the next title for the Sega Vintage Collection -- Toe Jam & Earl!

boxartlg.jpg

Join aliens ToeJam and Earl in their adventures across space in classic titles ToeJam & Earl™ and ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron™! This classic journey of two funky aliens has been updated for release on Xbox LIVE Arcade! Earn all new achievements, complete challenging new game trials, and take on zany Earthlings with a friend in two player co-op across Xbox LIVE!

On another note, I've started a new tumblr called "old game mags", viewable here:

http://oldgamemags.tumblr.com/

Which has articles , covers and adverts from old game magazines. And I found one for the second TJ&E game!

Baron

This thread needs more love.

I'm disappointed the month of $1 Sega Vintage games on PSN (via Plus discount) seems to have come to an end. I am still waiting for the (updated) SOR games to be released on PS3 as well, as I prefer using my Saturn and NeoGeo USB pads to play these older games than the stock 360 pad.

My wife doesn't play a lot of current games, but she loves Revenge of Shinobi something fierce. She also starts to swear a lot when playing, haha. Really impressed with these collections. I'm putting that classic-style controller to use finally.

ORGlel.jpg

Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but where can I get one of these? I have searched "drumpad" and "madcatz" controllers and cannot come up with anything. I play lots of retro games and would love to have a great dpad on my 360.

Top Bottom