• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Vintage Col. 2012 |OT| Streets Of Rage! Golden Axe! Monster World! Alex Kidd!

Space Harrier Collection? That could be worth my time. What I want to see are emulated versions of Power Drift, Outrunners, and maybe even the legendary Cool Riders. On PSN and XBLA. I have complete and total confidence in M2's ability to be the greatest arcade-port agency put together this generation, and doing Cool Riders would make me a happy panda.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just got Alex Kidd and Shinobi. They're pretty hard.

Hope they release Landstalker and Phantasy Star IV though.

Tomasooie

Is there be any type of "red tape" issues with the Phantasy Star games that would cause them not to be released in a collection like these awesome ones?

Nah, all four of them are in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (even the first one on the Master System as an extra) and Japan has had two collections of all four on the Saturn and PS2.

Landstalker would require getting the rights from Climax (which, admittedly, would be easy these days considering how desperate Kan Naito must be right now), but I'd take that. Not after a Phantasy Star Collection, or any other collection featuring leaderboard-genic games.

Vercimber

Give us a Model-2 and Model-3 arcade collection, Sega. The Gunblade/L.A. Machinegun port on Wii is excellent. I want more of that shiny, colorful, late 90s Sega arcade magic.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So are there any differences people have noticed between the 360 and PS3 versions, other than price? Right now, I'm still thinking I'll pick the games I want up on PSN so I can avoid Alex Kidd ownership, but maybe there's something else to consider before doing so.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So are there any differences people have noticed between the 360 and PS3 versions, other than price? Right now, I'm still thinking I'll pick the games I want up on PSN so I can avoid Alex Kidd ownership, but maybe there's something else to consider before doing so.

Why don't you want to own Alex Kidd?

SmithnCo

It's the same price to get two on PSN than it is to get three in a bundle on XBLA... you must really hate Alex Kidd.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Just buy them all. Alex Kidd is worth a playthrough no matter how much you hate it. They're all solid ports, any way.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just finished earning all the achievements in the Monster World collection. Monster World 3 was easily my favorite of the bunch. I quite enjoyed the Metroid-esque world to explore, the different weapon upgrades, the secrets to uncover, the use of magic, etc... Just felt like the most well-rounded product.

Monster Land is an arcade game from 1986 and it feels as such. There is an irritating timer that is constantly ticking off your health. Score plays a massive role in earning more hearts as does maximizing your money to afford vital upgrades. I found it became necessary to abuse quicksave's and to set the turbo spin jump to a button for anytime a secret coin is discovered in order to earn a 60+ drop instead of meager 1-10(you'll understand if you play). Even with full Legendary equipment the endboss was cheap and irritating. My least favorite of the collection.

MWIV was alright. Occasionally had some clever level encounters, but mostly it was somewhat forgettable. Being a late-gen Genesis game, it has some nifty tech effects. Some obtuse puzzles, and the removal of magic alongside very bland equipment upgrades made it feel uneven compared to MW3. The later stages removed the best gimmick from the game(bird) and tossed in some frustrating platforming and action segments. Not bad, but not the shining gem of the Genesis library I was led to believe.

Danny Dudekisser

Why don't you want to own Alex Kidd?

It sucks. He sucks.

It's the same price to get two on PSN than it is to get three in a bundle on XBLA... you must really hate Alex Kidd.

I do.

Just buy them all. Alex Kidd is worth a playthrough no matter how much you hate it.

I already did that once in my life. I'll sooner die than do it again.

I like Alex Kidd. :(

I hate Alex Kidd :)

But yeah, I honestly would prefer not to have extraneous nonsense. All I want is Super Hang-On and Monster World IV. The rest of the games I want, I already have on the Genesis, so I'm set. And I genuinely hate Alex Kidd. So it's looking like PSN for me.

Also, it cannot be overstated just how awesome Sega is for bringing this stuff out, and getting M2 to do these releases rather than Backbone. This is exactly what the fans want.

Tomasooie

Yeah, Alex Kidd is farrrr from a classic.

It's decent in every aspect.

And I would go with the XBLA collection -- besides saving five dollars, the game selection screen is so cool.

Danny Dudekisser

Yeah, Alex Kidd is farrrr from a classic.

It's decent in every aspect.

Yeah, I don't even hate it. It's just fun to rile up the people who inexplicably love the series.

Though which one was it where you got hurt by shit was visually in the background? That was some bullshit right there.

Jucksalbe

Banned

I think the only difference between the two versions (besides trophies) is the menu. You get some kind of Mega Drive background and the menu rotates around it.

Tomasooie

Naaah. Miracle World is pretty good, even if the difficulty curve is rather uneven. But the other Alex Kidd games? Yeah, they do kinda suck.
Pretty good if you didn't own an NES; OHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Yeah, I don't even hate it. It's just fun to rile up the people who inexplicably love the series.

Though which one was it where you got hurt by shit was visually in the background? That was some bullshit right there.

The Lost Stars? I think. That game was an unholy abomination. The customer is king my dick. One of the worst games I've ever played.

It was so bad Sega put Alex and Stella's graves in Altered Beast. At least that's the way I choose to see it.

Tomasooie

Nonono. Both of them are alright games!

Also, how are you supposed to figure out the switch puzzle at the end of Miracle World again?

Souther

Banned
It would have been cool if Sega would have made a Wonderboy III: The Dragons trap Megadrive version. Then they could have included it with this series.

I know there was a TG-16 version that was released, but I would have liked to see a MegaDrive version.

Nah, it'd be so much more enticing as a full collection. Plus, the name Planet Harriers has no recognition -- it's gotta be SPACE HARRIER COLLECTION.

And surely the first two wouldn't be hard to emulate; it's been done a billion times. So throw them in, and the bulk of the work would go into porting Planet Harriers.

Sega, fucking do it.

Yeah. We need to now figure out a way to tell SEGA to do it.
Space Harrier Collection. SH Arcade+SH2 MD+PH Arcade+SH PS2 SEGA AGES.
To be announced some months after E3 2012. Because E3 2012 is for the big Shenmue I+II HD announcement. It will not be some cheap ports either, but have all Shenmue Passport content, I->II savedata migration, etc.
Right SEGA?

Daigoro

Yeah. We need to now figure out a way to tell SEGA to do it.
Space Harrier Collection. SH Arcade+SH2 MD+PH Arcade+SH PS2 SEGA AGES.
To be announced some months after E3 2012. Because E3 2012 is for the big Shenmue I+II HD announcement. It will not be some cheap ports either, but have all Shenmue Passport content, I->II savedata migration, etc.
Right SEGA?

dont do this to yourself.

and YES i want a Space Harrier collection with Planet Harrier badly.

hongcha

Should I be playing Monster World III in English or Japanese (I'm asking in regard to the difficulty level here)? I've heard the English version has a really hard last boss. I like a challenge, but not if it's super frustrating.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Should I be playing Monster World III in English or Japanese (I'm asking in regard to the difficulty level here)? I've heard the English version has a really hard last boss. I like a challenge, but not if it's super frustrating.

Honestly, it's not that hard, but it is designed with the expectation that your life meter will be maxed out (fourteen hearts is the limit).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

The Japanese version of the final boss is less crazy. I found the final boss very annoying (and I resorted to save states).

hongcha

Honestly, it's not that hard, but it is designed with the expectation that your life meter will be maxed out (fourteen hearts is the limit).

Many thanks, I'll try going through the English version first then. Thanks also to ULTROS for his opinion.

Because Shinobi World's a Shinobi game—you silly-dilly sap!
LLShC.gif

I've calmed down now, it's awwright.

PowderedToast

monster land is loads of fun, think i def prefer the arcade linearity over the hub of monster world. but fuck, THAT TIMER. the bane of my life. this thing sucks my virtual credits. i wish there was a timer-free mode just so you could experiment and explore for those golds and hidden rooms

anyway its awesome and feels super slick to play. collision detection is spot on. despite the relatively long length its really got that 'one moar time' element locked down

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Shinobi World is good.

Eh, I completed it back in the day, years ago, and I can't say I found it to be better than inoffensive at best.

Also, how are you supposed to figure out the switch puzzle at the end of Miracle World again?

You need to look at the stone tablet in your inventory, then start at the symbol in the upper rightmost corner and read the symbols downwards. Then do the line of symbols in the middle, and then the line to the left.

ikaruga

Neo Member
games are up now or at least available to buy. Any impressions. Ive added SOR collection to my queue but at work......

ULTROS!

For some reason, I like Alex Kidd in Miracle sooooo much.

Can't stop replaying it.

Even though it has one of the least-helpful opening stages in platforming history, it's just darn fun, isn't it? Always carry that Bracelet!

Then go for New Game+, aka no Bracelet!

Top Bottom