• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

Cipherr

bobbytkc said:
The lack of compelling software is something that can't be neglected.

This has been an issue with the Wii its entire lifespan to a pretty large degree. Not having a ton of great software is nothing new, and yet, they still.

Oni Jazar

Marcos said:
http://www.gamersmint.com/ps3-sold-312k-units-in-september-confirmed-b​y-wedbush-morgan

PS3 sold more than the Nintendo WII in september according to figures revealed by Wedbush Morgan.

In a note to investors, analyst firm Wedbush Morgan revealed that sales of Nintendo’s Wii were down 45 per cent year-on-year with 254,000 units sold, while Sony shifted 312,000 PlayStation 3 units, down 37 per cent.
Also worth noting that Guitar hero performed very bad selling 86k units that month. Worrying news for Activision.

360 - 484k
PS3 - 312k
Wii - 254k

Dead link

gofreak said:
As for 2011, I truly think they're looking for the casual audience to see them through their late phase handsomely. I think they believe kinect can do that, and it may well do so. It may look empty for us, but MS will be hoping for some long-legs out of their Kinect stuff. They'll also have good momentum coming out of this year, out of slim and so on...that won't evaporate immediately.

I don't think they will be relying solely on casual audiences to carry them through the remainder of the generation, far from it. Microsoft going into the next year with a seemingly nonexistent line-up is not some kind of a strange exception, it's the norm.

Besides, even going only by what we already know, core Xbox 360 console exclusives won't exactly be in short supply in 2011. Barring any significant delays, next year should see the release of Gears of War 3, the next Forza, Codename D, Project Draco and possibly even Codename Kingdoms. On the third party front there are games like XCOM, Kingdom Under Fire 2, The Secret World, Steel Battalion and some smaller titles such as The First Templar and Gray Matter (of course, some of those might lose the console exclusive status by the time they come out - and no, KUF2 still hasn't been officially confirmed for PS3).

Microsoft people have said time and again that blockbuster franchises will remain their bread and butter going forward and there's no reason to believe otherwise. Kinect is not there to keep them in the race until the next generation hits, it's there to help sustain growth.

And speaking of growth, what they've managed to achieve - they are holding the same two price points set in September of 2008 (!) while still experiencing yoy growth in their sixth year - is truly impressive. There's a lot of maneuvering space left for the next couple of years at least.

szaromir said:
Are tere any Kinect games coming out in the first half of 2011? I can't think of any.

Child of Eden, Michael Jackson: The Experience and the Brain Training game at the very least.

By the way, before we bury Guitar Hero, do we know how the DLC is selling?

gcubed

what was MS's FY goal? I know Sony's was 15m and i am 95% sure it was above both the 360 and the Wii's stated goal... i just can't remember what those two were

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looks like Guitar Hero is dead, hope the short term gains was worth it Activision.

Bets on if Bobby bails out/gets fired from Activision by 2013?

dolemite

gcubed said:
what was MS's FY goal? I know Sony's was 15m and i am 95% sure it was above both the 360 and the Wii's stated goal... i just can't remember what those two were
Nintendo's is 17.5 million. MSFT never does estimates.

Pride said:
While I usually stay away from conspiracy theories, the Sony theory is interesting for a few reasons...

1. The PS3 price drop occurred in September 2009 so this would be the 1st month that YOY sell thru would be compared to $299/Slim PS3. A YOY decline for Sony would go against their main message which has been "X straight months of continued YOY growth"

2. NPD only came out a few days ago and stated they wouldnt be sharing numbers, if it was a plan all along wouldnt they have given a heads up awhile ago?

3. Both Nintendo & Microsoft have already shared their numbers and seem to have a statement ready while it's been all quiet at Sony

I think NPD mentioned they'll stop data the previous NPD too but nobody took notice.

Microsoft asserts its software dominance. They really just know how to make money and publishers are going to continue relying on the Xbox to make crazy money. I didn't realize the gap in software revenue was that large.

I expect there to be a similar bump when Call of Duty comes out too as its clear the FPS world centers around the Xbox. Microsoft is in darn fine shape the rest of this year and I'll be pleasantly surprised if the Xbox outsells the Wii this year.

gcubed

dolemite said:
Nintendo's is 17.5 million. MSFT never does estimates.

well, i guess i'm glad i left that 5% in there for doubt... i was wrong. Thanks!

where are all the Wii channel stuffer posts then?

The only good thing that has happened today is the continuing sales drop for the Wii. It ensures that Nintendo is going to go balls to the wall as soon as possible. Outside of that it's been horrible. The first five pages of this thread have had scraps and the next five pages have been speculation on the next consoles, vgshortzzz and unsubstantiated theories. It's nice to see that we're getting some sort of info...but damn at the lack of sales numbers and software talk.

At least Metroid: Other M can hang with multi plat sellers...
Nirolak said:
onslaught_mvl-40.png

aristotle

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Child of Eden...... at the very least.

By the way, before we bury Guitar Hero, do we know how the DLC is selling?

Children of Eden isn't just a Kinect game though. You can play it with a controller and it's coming to the PS3 and the Move. It's just compatible with the Kinect.

Also GH DLC doesn't sell very well for the most part, especially since they don't release it on a determined schedule.

aristotle said:
Children of Eden isn't just a Kinect game though. You can play it with a controller and it's coming to the PS3 and the Move. It's just compatible with the Kinect.

Also GH DLC doesn't sell very well for the most part, especially since they don't release it on a determined schedule.
Has that even been confirmed anywhere?

Guevara

Opus Angelorum said:
Good numbers for the PS3, it would be interesting to know how many Move (bundle) sales attributed.

This brings up some questions for me:

Can you easily buy the PS3 stand alone in most markets?
What's the average price difference between the stand alone and the Move bundle?

aristotle said:

Nobody said anything about Kinect exclusives, just Kinect games, and Child of Eden is certainly one of those.

By the way, it's not yet known whether the PS3 version will offer Move support, Mizuguchi still hasn't decided.

duckroll

jmdajr said:
wonder how much dead rising 2 sold...

Been discussing this with Nirolak. He said since no one mentioned anything about NHL's sales (in the reports), it is likely there is no significant drop or increase in an otherwise stable yearly franchise. That would mean NHL at #4 sold ~300k (since that's what it did last year). If Madden is likely to have done at least ~500k (based on the report earlier and last year's numbers), then it reasons that DR2 sold somewhere between 300k to 500k.

jcm

kswiston said:
Does anyone have hardware figures for the PS2 at roughly the same point in its life. Say September 2004? What are normal September numbers for a 4 year old leading console?

According to this post, September 2004 was:

XBX: 270,000
PS2: 250,000
GCN: 110,000

I can't vouch for the accuracy of his data, though.

aristotle

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Nobody said anything about Kinect exclusives, just Kinect games, and Child of Eden is certainly one of those.

By the way, it's not yet known whether the PS3 version will offer Move support, Mizuguchi still hasn't decided.

Beaten by this post about Move CoE. :p

Saying CoE is a Kinect game though when someone asks about what games it'll have is like saying Heavy Rain and RE5 are Move games. They're just compatible, which to me is something different.

AniHawk

jcm said:
According to this post, September 2004 was:

XBX: 270,000
PS2: 250,000
GCN: 110,000

I can't vouch for the accuracy of his data, though.
Back then, 300k was really good, and 400k was pretty much unheard of outside the holidays. The Xbox and Gamecube hitting 140k-180k was usually considered good too.

aristotle said:
Saying CoE is a Kinect game though when someone asks about what games it'll have is like saying Heavy Rain and RE5 are Move games. They're just compatible, which to me is something different.

Is Dead Space not a PS3 game just because it's also a 360 game and a PC game? Is SOCOM 4 not a Move game just because it can also be played without it?

Child of Eden is a game for Kinect, among other things. Whatever.

knitoe

Micheal Pachter estimated 300K for Move. Unless, Europe sold 5X more (1.5 mil), Sony did lump Move, Nav, and probably Eye into one number. Without solid figures, Sony back to their old self again.

I'm kind of curious...

Does anyone have the past sales numbers for spider man games(360, PS3) and the last sales numbers for Call of duty? I can't imagine that CoD did over 150K combined and I can't see Shattered dimensions selling over 300K. I figure that M:OM is somewhere between those numbers(really broad numbers here).

duckroll

SolarPowered said:
I'm kind of curious...

Does anyone have the past sales numbers for spider man games(360, PS3) and the last sales numbers for Call of duty? I can't imagine that CoD did over 150K combined and I can't see Shattered dimensions selling over 300K. I figure that M:OM is somewhere between those numbers(really broad numbers here).

Spiderman is below Mafia 2, which bombed last month. Unless something miraculous happened in the second month of sales, it looks very likely that Spiderman did not sell even 200k combined. Probably not even close.

Massa

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Is Dead Space not a PS3 game just because it's also a 360 game and a PC game? Is SOCOM 4 not a Move game just because it can also be played without it?

Child of Eden is a game for Kinect, among other things. Whatever.

His point is that a Kinect exclusive game won't have the same effect as a Kinect-only game, you should calm your self down.

knitoe

MikeE21286 said:
wow, I'm very surprised PS3 outsold the Wii

Was this the general consensus in the hardware predictions thread?
I have been saying for the longest time that Wii success was mainly due to having waggle (different gaming experience), and once Microsoft and Sony release theirs, Nintendo will be in trouble. But, people kept on saying casual don't care about graphics or price will be huge factor in Wii's favor because casual gamers are cheap. That type of thinking is wrong. People love shining things. And, casual gamers are maybe selective in their game buying habits, but doesn't mean they don't have money spend or dont spend bigtime on non gaming things, electronics, clothes, cars or etc. As long as something is worthwhile, they will spend. Watch, $100 difference between Wii vs Kincet bundle won't have much of an affect. I wouldn't be surprise if the Wii continues to be at the bottom from now on.

TheOddOne

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I don't think they will be relying solely on casual audiences to carry them through the remainder of the generation, far from it. Microsoft going into the next year with a seemingly nonexistent line-up is not some kind of a strange exception, it's the norm.

Besides, even going only by what we already know, core Xbox 360 console exclusives won't exactly be in short supply in 2011. Barring any significant delays, next year should see the release of Gears of War 3, the next Forza, Codename D, Project Draco and possibly even Codename Kingdoms. On the third party front there are games like XCOM, Kingdom Under Fire 2, The Secret World, Steel Battalion and some smaller titles such as The First Templar and Gray Matter (of course, some of those might lose the console exclusive status by the time they come out - and no, KUF2 still hasn't been officially confirmed for PS3).

Microsoft people have said time and again that blockbuster franchises will remain their bread and butter going forward and there's no reason to believe otherwise. Kinect is not there to keep them in the race until the next generation hits, it's there to help sustain growth.

And speaking of growth, what they've managed to achieve - they are holding the same two price points set in September of 2008 (!) while still experiencing yoy growth in their sixth year - is truly impressive. There's a lot of maneuvering space left for the next couple of years at least.
Also: Microsoft developing LucasArts, Disney Kinect games
Microsoft is developing Kinect games that make use of Star Wars and Disney characters, according to the USA Today.

As part of the paper's story detailing the name and games for the new Microsoft game controller - hours before the official unveiling - the report also outs key support from third parties including MTV Games, LucasArts, Disney.

Specifically, the report says "Star Wars characters and iconic Disney favorites will be featured in separate new games being developed at Microsoft in conjunction with LucasArts and Disney," suggesting that these titles are being made-in house and not at the studios owned by those publishers.
They have yet to show the Disney related project.

Road

Nirolak said:
I know that EA was missing Need For Speed and distributing The Beatles Rockband this year, and Activision lost Guitar Hero and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2, but what did Take-Two and THQ lose to cause such drops?
More importantly: How did Take-Two drop 170%?

If they sold 100 copies before, a 170% drop would mean they sold -70 copies this month... ?

apana

knitoe said:
I have been saying for the longest time that Wii success was mainly due to having waggle (different gaming experience), and once Microsoft and Sony release theirs, Nintendo will be in trouble. But, people kept on saying casual don't care about graphics or price will be huge factor in Wii's favor because casual gamers are cheap. That type of thinking is wrong. People love shining things. And, casual gamers are maybe selective in their game buying habits, but doesn't mean they don't have money spend or dont spend bigtime on non gaming things, electronics, clothes, cars or etc. As long as something is worthwhile, they will spend. Watch, $100 difference between Wii vs Kincet bundle won't have much of an affect. I wouldn't be surprise if the Wii continues to be at the bottom from now on.

This seems to be more of a software issue, rather than "waggle" clones. I dont think Move has set America on fire and Kinect isnt even out yet.

Out of boredom I decided to put together the sales for the year so far adding together Japan and the US.

Wii: 4.27m
PS3: 3.42m
360: 3.37m

Wii still looking fairly good for the year, though obviously they've been slipping lately.

Oh, and the DS for fun.

NDS: 6.08m

duckroll said:
Spiderman is below Mafia 2, which bombed last month. Unless something miraculous happened in the second month of sales, it looks very likely that Spiderman did not sell even 200k combined. Probably not even close.
Yeah, I completely forgot about the Mafia II bomb. It's probably somewhere between 120K and 180K. The Metroid series was probably the most popular console shooter(I know some people may classify it as an FPA) for Nintendo fans since the last gen and they've completely squandered any hype left for the console games.

People point at Sega and laugh, but I'm surprised that no one ever looks at console Metroid games and recoil in horror at it's decline. :(

apana

Metroid went in a strange direction, I'm not too surprised that people didnt respond. This would have been the perfect time for a classic 2d Metroid, but Nintendo got careless.

Psychotext said:
Out of boredom I decided to put together the sales for the year so far adding together Japan and the US.

Wii: 4.27m
PS3: 3.42m
360: 3.37m

Wii still looking fairly good for the year, though obviously they've been slipping lately.

Oh, and the DS for fun.

NDS: 6.08m
This is interesting considering how dead the 360 is in Japan.

Alx

TheOddOne said:
They have yet to show the Disney related project.

A Disney kinect game ? My bet is on a Fantasia - Sorcerer Mickey game

(not really, but it could be a good mini-game...)

Massa said:
His point is that a Kinect exclusive game won't have the same effect as a Kinect-only game, you should calm your self down.

My point is that if someone gets Kinect and wonders what games he'll be able to play on it in the first half of 2011, Child of Eden is one such game. I have no idea why you felt the need to tell me to calm down, I'm perfectly calm.

Top Bottom