• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

duckroll

Nirolak said:
All those niche ones from TGS I believe.

I do not believe a single one of those games will even be shown in playable form before E3 2011. I expect none of them to be released before end 2011 or early 2012 at the very least.

NeonZ

Nirolak said:
I think Nintendo needs something the most on the Wii front.

They've went from continually outselling the 360 and PS3 combined to being third place by a good margin.

I don't think there's anything they can do at this point. They can't just create a new big hit just because they need it, and the Wii didn't have a constant stream of software to keep the player base around.

Even considering the downward trend, the current situation was pretty much the best case possible for a system mostly supported just by first party. Now they should release the games on the pipelines, avoiding yet another desert and prepare a different strategy for the next console.

At this point, I don't think they'll launch a new console in 2011, even considering the current situation of the Wii. I previously thought that might happen because I believed they'd be pushing for a 2010 release of the 3DS. However, with a 3DS launch only next year, their next home console should be out only in 2012 (Although I think it probably will be announced in 2011).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
I do not believe a single one of those games will even be shown in playable form before E3 2011. I expect none of them to be released before end 2011 or early 2012 at the very least.
Well, they referred to them as "the second wave" of Kinect software, in which case it seems that we won't be getting more Kinect software for quite a while.

Barrett2

Interesting to see Wii's decline.

It must be stressful developing the Wii successor. They probably know they won't be able to catch lightning in a bottle again. Plus, I can't imagine they would release two systems in 2011, they would cannibalize each other. How low will Wii sales get before they eventually release the new one?

szaromir

Banned
gofreak said:
They'll be hoping one of the launch games at least will emerge as more of an evergreen that can keep selling it into next year. I guess that's the plan anyway.
That'd be a pretty poor plan. It's a new platform and should have a steady stream of new releases (although all these games announced at TGS would already be something, didn't know they might be out so soon).

My guess is that MS won't be releasing many 'core' games in the first half of a year seeing as none of ME2, SC Conviction, Alan Wake or CD2 made a big splash earlier this year (both for software sales and for hardware), that's why they pushed GOW3 back.

gcubed

allan-bh said:
I now believe that Xbox 360 has a pretty good chance to outsell Wii in US this year.

Xbox 360 must stay ahead in October, in november with Kinect launch I supose can stay to.

I don't know about december.

i don't see the 360 being outsold by the Wii again this year.

Captain Tuttle said:
Not really, they're the ones paying NPD for the data. They're getting their numbers.
but why pay when there are oh so reliable free numbers?

could it be because NPDs numbers are worth something and VG CHATZESS are worth nothing?

ho ho, do you see what i did there?

speculation on new console releases... we usually know more than a year in advance when those are coming, so next year to me is totally off the cards. be interesting to be wrong, but we'll see.

Corto

Stumpokapow said:
From that GamesIndustry article:

Damn! The only growth seen can be attributed solely to MS, even on software! I'll try to find hardware sales (xbox 360) bump in Halo 3 release month.

ringlord

Captain Tuttle said:
Not really, they're the ones paying NPD for the data. They're getting their numbers.

For 120k per year. That is not a small amount, no matter what size your company is. It's coming out of some division's PnL statement, which affects profits and bonuses. If they could cut it out due to some free, reliable alternative, they would.

Loudninja said:
Guitar Hero has been destroyed.
i loved guitar hero 5. i had NO interest in this one. the track listing was too narrow in focus and the bullshit powered up story mode was a step in the complete wrong direction after the no nonsense pick up and instantly start having fun guitar hero 5.

JohnsonUT

How would a Wii price drop affect things? The Wii is still selling at $200, having only one price drop to date. I can't see it reclaiming its god-like selling status, but the $200 price point compared to the competition has to be hurting it.

gerg

gcubed said:
i don't see the 360 being outsold by the Wii again this year.

No, it very much can.

October should be down for all three consoles, and we'll see how much that means for Microsoft in terms of remaining steam for the redesign and any bump the 360 got from Halo: Reach. November might be a close call, then, but it's very, very possible that Kinect pushes the 360 over the Wii, even with a bump from the new colour. December will then be double whatever each console does in November, so the 360 can definitely take that as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kagari said:
Call of Duty: Metallica.
I'm confounded as to when they're planning to launch Sledgehammer's FPS. They can't seriously be launching it in the Fall with Modern Warfare 3 coming out, but they still haven't even announced the thing.

gerg said:
No, it very much can.

October should be down for all three consoles, and we'll see how much that means for Microsoft in terms of remaining steam for the redesign and any bump the 360 got from Halo: Reach. November might be a close call, then, but it's very, very possible that Kinect pushes the 360 over the Wii, even with a bump from the new colour. December will then be double whatever each console does in November, so the 360 can definitely take that as well.
I think he was actually agreeing with you.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Nirolak said:
Don't worry, we'll just move the cycle to Call of Duty instead.

Two titles next year. Maybe we can get four in 2012!

IMO, Call of Duty is not near as fragile as Guitar Hero. As long as the games remain good, people will buy a CoD game. Although perhaps four a year would kill it... :lol

Guitar Hero (and Rock Band) needed to be treated with kid gloves. Activision really screwed the pooch on that one.

Yeah, I wonder when we're finally going to see the upshot of the supposed changes coming to the Call of Duty franchise, rather than just rumors and nonspecific talk of subscriptions.

Dave Long

Banned
Before everyone gets overconfident, don't forget that the Wii, and Nintendo in particular, are always at their best around the holidays. Their business is very loaded toward the end of the year.

That said, I think there's still a strong pent-up sales demand for replacement 360 consoles and new buyers who waited and waited for hardware that hopefully won't break. I think that's helping drive the 360 sales. We'll know for sure next year around this time.

Loudninja

Nirolak said:
Don't worry, we'll just move the cycle to Call of Duty instead.

Two titles next year. Maybe we can get four in 2012!

Way too much COD,they will spam the hell out of since this will be there only source of income. :p

AniHawk

lawblob said:

It must be stressful developing the Wii successor. They probably know they won't be able to catch lightning in a bottle again. Plus, I can't imagine they would release two systems in 2011, they would cannibalize each other. How low will Wii sales get before they eventually release the new one?

I'm not sure it really matters how low it can get as long as they fix past mistakes (third parties) and get another good, marketable hook. The Gamecube was doing numbers around 40k a month before the Wii came around. It had passed the "on life support" stage sometime in early 2005 and it was basically two years of nothing until the Wii came around. The PS3 was a failed system that was battling the GBA in 2007, and now it's doing 300k in a month (which was pretty regular for the PS2). The DS sold so poorly originally that Nintendo would only release hardware numbers when combined with GBA hardware numbers, and now its total in the US is fast-approaching the PS2's.

Saty

Can't we use the data that Madden unit sales were down 11% to create some rough estimate at least for the 360\PS3 SKUs?

Not really a proper comparison, but how did Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock stack up next to Brutal Legend's first-month sales across all platforms? Since WoR looks like it's probably the thing that Activision was trying to push on BL before they dropped it and Double Fine took the project to EA.

JohnsonUT said:
How would a Wii price drop affect things? The Wii is still selling at $200, having only one price drop to date. I can't see it reclaiming its god-like selling status, but the $200 price point compared to the competition has to be hurting it.

I suspect that a price drop to, say, $150 for the Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort w. Remote Plus bundle would provide a boost, but I don't know for how long and by how much. Is price really the issue, or is it lack of software? Perhaps there is a huge audience for the console at that price or lower, but is it worth Nintendo risking losing money just to find out that the system stays at around the same monthly sales?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JohnsonUT said:

I'd be curious to see them drop too. I wouldn't write off the potential of the hardware to rebound strongly if they cut the price. They have some ways to go with it yet. But maybe they'll hold that card for next year.

Painraze said:
IMO, Call of Duty is not near as fragile as Guitar Hero. As long as the games remain good, people will buy a CoD game.

Guitar Hero (and Rock Band) needed to be treated with kid gloves. Activision really screwed the pooch on that one.
that's the problem see, 'AS LONG AS THE GAMES REMAIN GOOD' in Guitar Hero they didn't. they started putting out multiple games a year and it diluted the brand in *quality*. did you play GH:Smash Hits or GH:Van Halen?

if COD had games as bad as those two, you can bet that the series would find itself in the same kind of trouble that Guitar Hero now seems to be in.

COD is still seen as a guaranteed good time. it only takes one bad game to break that. Guitar Hero ran into greater competition and two bad games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Saty said:
Can't we use the data that Madden unit sales were down 11% to create some rough estimate at least for the 360\PS3 SKUs?
That might actually be possible.

Last Year:

Madden NFL 10 (360) / Electronic Arts / 289,600
Madden NFL 10 (PS3) / Electronic Arts / 246,500

Taking that down by 11% would give us a bare minimum of 477k, assuming the Wii, PS2, and PSP sold zero copies.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Cheech said:
Lol, seriously. Console hardware is something of a shell game, the only thing that matters to these companies at this point in the generation is software sales.

Sony is getting absolutely destroyed in that arena. Microsoft published games far outsell Sony's for the most part, and third party games also typically sell better on the 360 (which translates to more DLC, and therefore a bigger cut to MS).

I am sorry to burst your bubble. But total software sales for fiscal year 2009 was 115.6 million units for the PS3 and 103.1 million units for the 360, judging from their financial reports. And Sony's first party output (the games they actually make and sell themselves) are far greater than the 360's, so their cut from software is arguably greater compared to microsoft.

FY2010 may be different of course, but it is hard to conceive how microsoft can DESTROY sony on the software front.

America is not the world ya know.

AniHawk

Cosmonaut X said:
I suspect that a price drop to, say, $150 for the Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort w. Remote Plus bundle would provide a boost, but I don't know for how long and by how much. Is price really the issue, or is it lack of software? Perhaps there is a huge audience for the console at that price or lower, but is it worth Nintendo risking losing money just to find out that the system stays at around the same monthly sales?

I think the inclusion of Wii Sports Resort was their version of a price drop. Also, there seem to be several controller/game bundles in what might be an attempt to jumpstart software sales.

apana

Dave Long said:
Before everyone gets overconfident, don't forget that the Wii, and Nintendo in particular, are always at their best around the holidays. Their business is very loaded toward the end of the year.

That said, I think there's still a strong pent-up sales demand for replacement 360 consoles and new buyers who waited and waited for hardware that hopefully won't break. I think that's helping drive the 360 sales. We'll know for sure next year around this time.

Yeah the Wii is sort of like a monster from a horror movie. Just when everyone thinks its dead and they can relax, it jumps out of the bushes and eats your dad.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Lol, seriously? If anything PS3 was catching up for sometime between September 09 and June of this year. The race to second will be neck and neck by the end of this gen.

Fixed? Even if you round 360 Japanese sales down to zero, combined US + Japan sales for the past 4 months have to favor MS, don't they? And MS had a press release after the slim launch stating that they were the #1 selling console in Europe. I wouldn't take it for granted that the PS3 is still catching up.

Are you talking about USA or WW software sales? WW the PS3 has been selling more software than the 360 for a while now.

I'm really going to need to see a reference for that. Especially if you have any data for the last 3-4 months.

FoneBone

lawblob said:

What's the basis for assuming Wii2 and 3DS "would cannibalize each other"?

For Nintendo's sake, I'd hope they'd be ready to launch by mid-2012, because things are looking worse and worse for Wii.

AniHawk said:
I'm not sure it really matters how low it can get as long as they fix past mistakes (third parties) and get another good, marketable hook.

To be honest, I think that "Wii in HD!" is actually a pretty solid hook, even if Move will steal a little bit of that thunder :)

I'm also fairly confident that Nintendo are going to reverse their Wii strategy for its successor and make a strong grab for the core audience right from the outset, just as they have done with the 3DS, with a slate of titles for the expanded audience later in the system's lifespan.

lawblob said:

No way they release anything about the next wii until after Christmas 2011. They need the 3DS to have an xmas season alone in the spotlight.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
allan-bh said:
Well, holidays and Wii is a combination that can't be neglected.

The lack of compelling software is something that can't be neglected.

360 has Black ops and Halo reach. I think this is pretty much a done deal

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I doubt a Wii price drop would have much of an effect, besides a noticeable yet short bump. Hardware price is far from being the console's biggest problem nowadays, software sales are massively down too and the Wii market has been showing signs of decline for a while.
Keeping the same price for as long as possible, on the other hand, would let Nintendo profit a bit more from each console they sell, and rake in more cash overall till their next move... or at least until the Christmas season, something that always gives them quite a bump in sales, is over.

Dave Long said:

Hmm not sure on this, do you have numbers to back it up as must do there best numbers towards holiday seasons?.

What cant be sniffed at is now both are outselling the wii without any shortages now, is wii on the way down now?. Its crazy this gen we are five years in now but if you owned a wii for alot of that time like alot of the casual market will have done "upgrading" is to buy a machine thats been out before the wii or a machine that came out around the sametime. But they could be classed as an upgrade as hdtvs become even more common place as does internet based stuff like netflix twitter etc.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'm really going to need to see a reference for that. Especially if you have any data for the last 3-4 months.

It is true as of FY 2009's financial reports. In fact, I posted it a a few minutes before this...

You can easily look up their financial reports online.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
FoneBone said:
What's the basis for assuming Wii2 and 3DS "would cannibalize each other"?

For Nintendo's sake, I'd hope they'd be ready to launch by mid-2012, because things are looking worse and worse for Wii.
It's not that dramatic, really.

Top Bottom