• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

Gonzalez

Banned
Checkers bring out the inner hate in people. Uno seems right up the alley.

Then Uno it is.

...And I've found the perfect Uno...

0004580277220_500X500.jpg

Verendus

Banned
Undertaker so shook over his defeat at the hands of Brock that he's resorted to kidnapping young children, and is now forcing them to take pictures with him. It's like the cry of an old man, trying to tell the world that he's fine.

But he's not. He's never going to be fine again. His soul is hurting. He can't rest in peace.

njean777

Watching Monday night Wars really makes me dislike WCW in general. I respect the NWO for what they did (even though I was never a fan), but when your whole show is based off of the popular guys from WWE coming in and basically getting fans for your show, its kind of lame.

I know eventually WWE took guys from WCW, but if the NWO was running ruffshot over WCW as is shown, I would have left as well. If you were not part of the NWO you were basically nobody, except Sting.

EVOLVE show was real good overall, Drew Gallow(s)ay looked awesome in the main event against Rich Swann, which was pretty good but brought down slightly by the Premier Brand storyline stuff. Great promo from Drew post match, why did WWE let this guy go again? Ricochet vs Caleb Konley was good, Konley's struggled to shine in EVOLVE, but this match will do him the world of good. I enjoyed the opener of Nese vs Gargano, despite not being a fan of either guy, while Roddy vs Uhaa was good fun. The impromptu AR Fox vs Moose match was fun as well, I like Fox in more contained matches, but Bravados vs Colony was a dud. Match of the night, however, and the match which every other ended up being in the long shadow of, was Thatcher vs Zack Sabre Jr. Gabe should've had this as the semi-main event, as the crowd were WAY into it, which isn't always the case with the slower-paced, methodical, Euro-centric wrestling style. Thatcher is a very solid wrestler who's making a good name for himself and it was awesome to see him with an opponent who could bring the best out of him. Zack's just flat-out amazing, what a talent. So yeah, fun show, check it out.

AR_Fox.gif

Drew.gif

Konley.gif

Uhaa.gif

Zack.gif

strobogo

Banned
LEGITSHOOK PRESENTS

WCW Monday Nitro 1/28/96

• Ric Flair vs Hulk Hogan
  • Faces of Fear vs Road Warriors
  • Madusa vs Sherri
  • The Giant vs Randy Savage WCW Championship

Another show where they blow two big money main events against a Raw that had such shit as the Godwinns vs Bodydonnas and face HBK vs obese Yoko. Flair gets a pin on Hulk, which is amazing. And he did it by stabbing Hulk in the eye with Liz's shoe. And then Hulk, who they were talking about like he might have legitimately lost his eye, comes back at the end of the show and lays the entire DoD out by himself. Again. After Macho got laid the fuck out by Giant and Flair. Cena ain't got shit on the Hulkster in 1996. Madusa has her first match back after returning to WCW over a month ago. And she loses. In 2 minutes. To the Divas Special. And attacked before the match, after the match, and at Sherri's wedding, so I don't see how she's the face in any of this. LOD made their return after 3 years away from the game. Hawk was amped as fuck for it. So were the fans.

Arn proved he might be THE That Motherfucker. He was going to show Pillman tough love by taking his belt of and whipping him. Not only did no one think it was weird that a grown man was doing that to another grown man, but the other grown man was scared shitless over it. A grown man who is fucking crazy and out of control. DoD/Horsemen feud kicked up a solid 5 notches.

Watching Monday night Wars really makes me dislike WCW in general. I respect the NWO for what they did (even though I was never a fan), but when your whole show is based off of the popular guys from WWE coming in and basically getting fans for your show, its kind of lame.

I know eventually WWE took guys from WCW, but if the NWO was running ruffshot over WCW as is shown, I would have left as well. If you were not part of the NWO you were basically nobody, except Sting.

I don't think the MNW has really done a good job at portraying how much more interesting storylines on Nitro were before the NWO as compared to the garbage Raw was doing. 1993-1995 Raw had about 4 good shows. It started to get more real in late 1995, then went even more cartoony for a big chunk of 1996.

Verendus

Banned
The one that didn't help bury DDP. You get two megastars out of the whole lot of WCW guys and you bury the fuck out of one of them.
I really want to read about what happened with this Invasion storyline. It makes no sense. They did this whole storyline which ended with Stone Cold and Kurt Angle joining The Alliance, and it seems like WWF couldn't get any big WCW stars except Booker T and DDP.

Then we have Ric Flair show up as soon as that storyline is over. Then a few months later, Hollywood Hogan, Kevin Nash, and Scott Hall also show up. A year after that, Scott Steiner and Goldberg are there.

I really want to read about what happened with this Invasion storyline. It makes no sense. They did this whole storyline which ended with Stone Cold and Kurt Angle joining The Alliance, and it seems like WWF couldn't get any big WCW stars except Booker T and DDP.

Then we have Ric Flair show up as soon as that storyline is over. Then a few months later, Hollywood Hogan, Kevin Nash, and Scott Hall also show up. A year after that, Scott Steiner and Goldberg are there.

I missed the whole invasion angle when it aired, but it just seems so crazy about what actually happened.

The whole angle could/should have been like 2 years of back and forth action

strobogo

Banned
"____ should be a Paul Heyman client" is the most overused fan booking in the world, but Hideo Itami should really be a Paul Heyman client.

It will probably do about as much good as Heyman did for Axel, Ryback, and Cesaro. Just let Kenta kick the shit out of dudes and he'll get over.

It will probably do about as much good as Heyman did for Axel, Ryback, and Cesaro. Just let Kenta kick the shit out of dudes and he'll get over.

I guess it would make more sense if they had a lower weight division, but to me the ideal scenario for him would be to a competent dick lording over the lower tier title division with Itami only ever speaking in Japanese and Heyman as his mouthpiece.

I guess my point is in a world where two of the most successful sports entertainers in UFC only speak Portugese and French respectively there's no reason why not knowing 'Merican should hold a dude back or sidle him into a purely ethnic stereotype role.

EDIT: Ugh, why am I discussing pro wrestling in this thread. wtf

BHZ Mayor

The invasion angle is the physical incarnation of dropping the ball.

strobogo

Banned
I guess it would make more sense if they had a lower weight division, but to me the ideal scenario for him would be to a competent dick lording over the lower tier title division with Itami only ever speaking in Japanese and Heyman as his mouthpiece.

I guess my point is in a world where two of the most successful sports entertainers in UFC only speak Portugese and French respectively there's no reason why not knowing 'Merican should hold a dude back or sidle him into a purely ethnic stereotype role.

EDIT: Ugh, why am I discussing pro wrestling in this thread. wtf

So what you're saying is that he should be a heel for not speaking English? I s that what you're saying?

iJjasQxZNuZJN.gif

Well that depends, did you think Apollo Creed was the heel because he was black? If so then you're a dumb racist. I'd ask you if you're a dumb racist Stro but the question would be a bit redundant don't ya think?

strobogo

Banned
Well that depends, did you think Apollo Creed was the heel because he was black? If so then you're a dumb racist. I'd ask you if you're a dumb racist Stro but the question would be a bit redundant don't ya think?

All I'm seeing is that you think he should be a dicklord who only speaks in Japanese. If he spoke English well or spoke a different language, would you feel he should be a dicklord who only speaks in his native tongue, which is ALWAYS a heel move in America? What I see in KENTA is the possibility of the newest That Motherfucker, no matter his creed or nationality, and there is no need for him to automatically be a heel even if he never speaks English again.

Fine he can be a good guys as well, I don't give a shit. I just don't think that language should be a barrier in his success.
And there's no reason for it to be, Rey Mysterio didn't need English to become a beloved superstar

strobogo

Banned
Fine he can be a good guys as well, I don't give a shit. I just don't think that language should be a barrier in his success.
And there's no reason for it to be, Rey Mysterio didn't need English to become a beloved superstar

There is zero need for him to be a heel unless he's a That Motherfucker kind heel who is just one bad as sumbitch who beats the shit out of people regardless of his size. Which has nothing to do with his nationality or native language, you bastard.

JavyOO7

Not a fan of how Nick Patrick does his pin counts.

...watching Nitro 83 of AA vs Ric Flair as the main event. Not a bad Nitro so far except for Hogan saying "Big nasty stinky Giant, brother!" several times. Jesus christ he's so bad.

strobogo

Banned
Yikes Sherri took a nasty one landing on her head on that gif Stro

I never liked how Madusa did the German suplex. Lifting with your hands on hips instead of wrapping your arms around the torso looks weird to me. That's definitely not the first time she dumped another woman on her head, either. The whole booking makes her looks like a huge dick head. She shows up, drops the title in the trash can: Dick move by any standards. A month later, she shows up at Sherri's wedding completely unannounced, attacks her for no reason that is explained on screen at all. Ruins the wedding: Dick move.

Has a match with Sherri. Attacks her during Sherri's interview to jump start the match: Dick move. Loses the match cleanly. Attacks after he match, dumps Sherri on her head, then repeatedly slams her head on the mat as she's completely out of it: Dick move. I can not see how anyone would see her as a face.

Not a fan of how Nick Patrick does his pin counts.

...watching Nitro 83 of AA vs Ric Flair as the main event. Not a bad Nitro so far except for Hogan saying "Big nasty stinky Giant, brother!" several times. Jesus christ he's so bad.

I like his pins, but he has some AWFUL ref calls in late 1995/early 1996. Blatantly seeing dudes cheat and not caring, seeing guys legs in the ropes and counting anyway, seeing things fall out of pockets, see a guy put it back in his pocket, and use it. Every other week or so has him making a horrible call that no one says anything about. And he always slides out of the ring immediately on those calls.

Mahonay

Banned
So...apparently Batista is not returning until 2015.

I'm still going to tune in for Night of Champions and Raw the night after. I have that slight glimmer of hope.

This is what google just told me. It's been three weeks, I thought I'd see if there's anything and that was it.

Bet Raw has still been shit in the Age of Crock.

I can understand with his success now. Too bad I hope we see him again in the future.
Teester was just hitting his stride finally and it was glorious. It would be a shame is we had to wait 6 months or more. Them's the breaks I guess.

There is zero need for him to be a heel unless he's a That Motherfucker kind heel who is just one bad as sumbitch who beats the shit out of people regardless of his size. Which has nothing to do with his nationality or native language, you bastard.

Yeah, much better we just ignore other races and languages. Let's just call him "Chad Stevens" 'cause that name is totes non-racial. Why if Stro had his way we could just throw all the minorities in the melting pot so they come out a nice dixie fried Red, White, and Blue (but really just White).

Seriously bro you need to get over your hangups and accept that it's okay to celebrate other cultures without caricaturing them.

strobogo

Banned
Yeah, much better we just ignore other races and languages. Let's just call him "Chad Stevens" 'cause that name is totes non-racial. Why if Stro had his way we could just throw all the minorities in the melting pot so they come out a nice dixie fried Red, White, and Blue (but really just White).

Seriously bro you need to get over your hangups and accept that it's okay to celebrate other cultures without caricaturing them.

I would like for KENTA to be exactly the same KENTA he's been in NOAH for the past 12 years, but kicking the shit out of people in WWE rings. You can't play the racist card on me. I've been a fan of KENTA since my brief tape trading days in the early 2000s. When he was still Kenta Kobayashi and wore orange. You're the one suggesting he should be a heel who only speaks in Japanese. What if he was a face who only spoke in Japanese? Did you ever think of that?

Stro, you really should review those old Fear Factor episodes with WWE stars.

I started to once and remembered that I hated FF.

strobogo

Banned
Yeah the yokel wrestling fan population in places like Indiana are totally willing to accept a good guy who don't talk like 'em.

Jumbo Tsuruta is in my all time top 10 and I've never heard an English promo from him. I'd listen to puro announcers over shit on Raw any day, even if I have no idea what they're saying except for random words in English. You can bury my state, because it is pretty dumb. You can't bury me. You're the one thinking a Japanese guy should be a heel who only speaks Japanese and has a heel manager. I think he should be a face who shouldn't have to change at all and be the same shit kicker he's been for 12 years. People even in the fly over states will accept him because he's fucking rad, kicks really hard, and has a great physical charisma. Just like how Tajiri got super over in 2001. Except I think we are in an age where KENTA can go farther and be a legitimate top guy.

Rey Jr. made his debut in Indy and was over from the start.

Perspicacity and Strobogo, would it be out of the question to put Fergal Devitt in Yellowface a la Lord Tensai and place him in a tag team with Itami Hideo?

Gonzalez

Banned
You know what really sticks out about Benoit back in 95'? It's the fact that even though he was going bald back then he was still able to maintain a decent hairline up until his murder suicide.

DiscoJon

Banned

Yeah the yokel wrestling fan population in places like Indiana are totally willing to accept a good guy who don't talk like 'em.

Seriously laughing at Perscampi trying to play the "Stro is a racist hick! HAR HAR HAR!" card and failing completely. Hey Pepy, it's halfway through September, maybe if you start working on the OT for October today you can get done in time.

i1POXICHcKgd2.gif

Boots you're right about Sabre. Honestly I had forgotten he was booked. I might have ordered it tonight had I remembered.

Ah well, there's always tonight's show - Zack Sabre Jr. vs Biff Busick, should be a lot of fun.

Exclusive Footage of Me After WSU/CZW:

How was it? The 3-way ladder match looked nuts, also, I hope Deej wasn't too rough on Kimber Lee? Kimber's a tough-ass broad, but DJ, well, he's somewhat of a prick, lol.

Top Bottom