• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

Alucard

Banned
People always ask "When did Bobby Heenan fall apart in WCW...".
Watching Starcade 95 it looks like the answer was Dusty. Bobby comes off as so jealous of Dusty who's getting all the attention of Tony with his goofy antics.

That's the American Dream, daddy. Make others feel lower than you!

DiscoJon

Banned
GfsbB.jpg

Ezy4D.gif

Aiii

So not worth it

The other side had a God too you know! Damn yous!

Related, I somehow got on a guys mail list, seems to be an old guy and he's trying to mail a guy called Rick Jesmer or something, my nickname being Rickjes so I can understand the confusion. Maybe he missed a dot or whatever. Regardless, this old fuck starts mailing me and all he does is forward shitty chain e-mails like this one. I set up a filter so his mails get automatically deleted, but on occassion I check my trash folder to make sure nothing important gets deleted.

This guy, Mike, is a conservative bigot like the ones you imagine, but aren't sure actually exist until you meet one. All his forwards are about bad liberals, lazy foreigners/black people, sexist bs about women and old-people jokes.

I feel sorry for the (6, including me) people that have to read these e-mails. I feel good that I'm keeping this other Rick from reading this crap though.

Did you get downvoted into oblivion?

NoRéN;128392859 said:
Sounds like there's a story here.

In a thread about Russo's letter, some guy mentions that Punk may have been right when he said that the company would be better off when Vince was dead.

I said that he didn't need to be so morbid - that him stepping down wouldn't be so bad. I didn't even really disagree with him. For some reason that got me a -8. This isn't the first time that's happened, where an opinion that differs slightly from the norm gets you blasted.

(It's a stupid thing on that site, I've seen TNA fans who comment in Impact livewatch getting downvoted into oblivion because they actually like the show.)

Hasney

In a thread about Russo's letter, some guy mentions that Punk may have been right when he said that the company would be better off when Vince was dead.

I said that he didn't need to be so morbid - that him stepping down wouldn't be so bad. I didn't even really disagree with him. For some reason that got me a -8. This isn't the first time that's happened, where an opinion that differs slightly from the norm gets you blasted.

(It's a stupid thing on that site, I've seen TNA fans who comment in Impact livewatch getting downvoted into oblivion because they actually like the show.)

Oh, that's just Reddit in general. It's not specific to the wrestling section.

It's best to just not contribute there.

Was just about to post that, the 6-man tag looks fucking nuts. Can't wait for the DVDs. Elgin vs Tomato Camper looks like the most ridiculous match ever, Camper kicks out of the Elgin bomb, so Elgin has to kick out of an avalanche version of Camper's finisher, lol. Fucking overkill. Trevor Lee's pretty great though, vertical drop blue thunder drivaaaaaaaaah!!

Trevor_Lee.gif

jred2k

Was just about to post that, the 6-man tag looks fucking nuts. Can't wait for the DVDs. Elgin vs Tomato Camper looks like the most ridiculous match ever, Camper kicks out of the Elgin bomb, so Elgin has to kick out of an avalanche version of Camper's finisher, lol. Fucking overkill. Trevor Lee's pretty great though, vertical drop blue thunder drivaaaaaaaaah!!

Yeah I'm not a big fan of Ciampa and really don't like Elgin so that match might have to be skipped.

And I meant to mention that from the small clips Trevor Lee looks like he's improving quite a bit. He seems to have bulked up a little, too.

RP912

Banned
People always ask "When did Bobby Heenan fall apart in WCW...".
Watching Starcade 95 it looks like the answer was Dusty. Bobby comes off as so jealous of Dusty who's getting all the attention of Tony with his goofy antics.

I would say Halloween Havoc 95 when he was the only man selling the fact hogan committed murder on live tv. He goes out of his way just to see if the giant is ok while the rest of the commentary was like "meh HERES THE NEXT MATCH WITH DISCO INFERNO!". You can tell Heenan was like "this fucking company".

somedevil

From the Observer:

WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair will be appearing at next Thursday's NXT Takeover 2 special on the WWE Network.

Flair's role will be to welcome Japanese star Kenta, who will be making his official WWE TV debut. No word yet if Kenta will actually be wrestling.

Well he is debuting on the Sept 11 show. This is probably happening fast because NXT got a tv deal in Japan based on the idea he will be a big part of show. I wonder if he keeps his name.

Man, they're REALLY putting a lot of stock in KENTA, moreso than any of the other big signings they've done. They got Steen/Devitt/Mack(?), and KENTA got:

Hulk Hogan intro in his home country
Ric Flair intro

Gonzalez

Banned
I would say Halloween Havoc 95 when he was the only man selling the fact hogan committed murder on live tv. He goes out of his way just to see if the giant is ok while the rest of the commentary was like "meh HERES THE NEXT MATCH WITH DISCO INFERNO!". You can tell Heenan was like "this fucking company".
What are they going to do dwell on it? The man got himself involved in a Monster Truck Sumo match on top of Cobo Hall. He should have known there would be repercussions if he got out of his truck. Let's not forget he was also attempting to murder Hogan himself, before Hulkster accidentally knocked him off the ledge.

Ithil

From the Observer:

Well he is debuting on the Sept 11 show. This is probably happening fast because NXT got a tv deal in Japan based on the idea he will be a big part of show. I wonder if he keeps his name.

I'm guessing he'll simply be "Kenta" instead of "KENTA" and that'll be enough.
Man, they're REALLY putting a lot of stock in KENTA, moreso than any of the other big signings they've done. They got Steen/Devitt/Mack(?), and KENTA got:

Ric Flair intro

I think Steen and Devitt will get similarly big intros when they debut .That trio of guys seem to be figuring into WWE's plans for the future in a big way.

Aiii

So not worth it

Ric Flair intro

It's only because of Japan TV deals, I don't think he actually means more to them other than being from Japan over the other big name signings.

Mengetsu

I'm guessing he'll simply be "Kenta" instead of "KENTA" and that'll be enough.

I think Steen and Devitt will get similarly big intros when they debut .That trio of guys seem to be figuring into WWE's plans for the future in a big way.
I could pray Devitt gets to keep Prince in his name. Kenta is fine.

Ithil

It's only because of Japan TV deals, I don't think he actually means more to them other than being from Japan over the other big name signings.

I believe the idea behind his signing and pushing is also to improve their Japanese viewership to help sell the Network there better when it arrives.
WWE popularity in Japan is pretty low right now.

Hasney

He probably does to HHH, just because he is grabbing all the best talent right now. That doesn't mean that Dunn/Vinny do though...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I genuinely don't like WCW commentary. Like modern commentary is cringeworthy but WCW commentary was so awkward. It felt like a fight was gonna break out at any second. The only time it didn't feel awkward was with Stevie and Schiavonne. I thought Bischoff wanted to punch Tenay and Heenan. I thought Tony wanted to punch Heenan. I thought Heenan wanted to punch Eric and Tony. I'm pretty sure someone DID punch Mark Madden. Ventura verbally embarrassed Schiavonne to such a degree that it was worse than getting punched.

And I thought Mike Tenay was scared for his life. Scott was too bland to ever register.

Hasney

I genuinely don't like WCW commentary. Like modern commentary is cringeworthy but WCW commentary was so awkward. It felt like a fight was gonna break out at any second. The only time it didn't feel awkward was with Stevie and Schiavonne. I thought Bischoff wanted to punch Tenay and Heenan. I thought Tony wanted to punch Heenan. I thought Heenan wanted to punch Eric and Tony. I'm pretty sure someone DID punch Mark Madden. Ventura verbally embarrassed Schiavonne to such a degree that it was worse than getting punched.

And I thought Mike Tenay was scared for his life. Scott was too bland to ever register.

I enjoyed the Schiavonne & Heenan combos with Tenay and Larry Z. What did you think to JR and Heyman? They really sounded like a murder could happen at any point.

Tenay is just so boring. Zzzzzz. Only good thing about Tenay in WCW, is that he wasn't the lead announcer.

I think he works perfectly as a 3rd man technical analyst with a play by play and traditional heel color guy. He knew his shit and had the backgrounds on everybody, even if it was some obscure cruiserweight making his debut.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I enjoyed the Schiavonne & Heenan combos with Tenay and Larry Z. What did you think to JR and Heyman? They really sounded like a murder could happen at any point.

Oh, Larry. I didn't think he was going to punch anyone either, but I got the impression Shiavonne was terrified of him. I never bought JR and Heyman having animosity because they were always too professional and wouldn't talk over each other constantly.

I remember one match with Bischoff on commentary and Tenay says something completely non-suspect and Bischoff is just like 'OH YOU THINK YOU RUN SHIT YOU SURE THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING FOR SOMEONE NEW HERE' like I thought Bischoff was gonna bite his head off. This was before he joined the NWO too.

Hasney

Oh, Larry. I didn't think he was going to punch anyone either, but I got the impression Shiavonne was terrified of him. I never bought JR and Heyman having animosity because they were always too professional and wouldn't talk over each other constantly.

I remember one match with Bischoff on commentary and Tenay says something completely non-suspect and Bischoff is just like 'OH YOU THINK YOU RUN SHIT YOU SURE THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING FOR SOMEONE NEW HERE' like I thought Bischoff was gonna bite his head off. This was before he joined the NWO too.

Was thinking that was Eric heeling it until that last bit. That's hilarious.

Sephzilla

I haven't bit yet. Going PS4/Wii U, but these deals are making it more and more tempting.

I've already got a PS4 and Wii-U, so I'm more or less just going for the Grand Slam Championship with the XB1 (and I need Halo 2 back in my life in the worst way). Since it sounds like the deal works with bundles, I'm thinking about buying the Madden 15 XB1 bundle and then trading in my PS4 copy of Madden to pre-order the Master Chief Collection.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was having such a good run as Tenzan in KoC 2 then fucking Riki Choshu jobbed me out. That dude never lets me win.

Ithil

I don't think Neville will have too hard a time. Typically guys with insanely athletic high flying stuff get over pretty quick. Kofi and Bourne are two examples.

Neville will get over, but he might have a ceiling unless he becomes a much better speaker than he is. Also should have his ears pinned back.

Gonzalez

Banned
I was having such a good run as Tenzan in KoC 2 then fucking Riki Choshu jobbed me out. That dude never lets me win.
The default new blood NJPW roster is so fucking weak. Even Chono who's at the top of the roster is beatable. You want a real challenge? Take on Vader, Misawa, Kobashi, Hansen, Mutoh, and Tenryu using type 3 Akiyama. Big time fucking murders row challenge right there.

Neville will get over, but he might have a ceiling unless he becomes a much better speaker than he is.

I think he has shown marked improvement in the relatively short time he's been on NXT, so I don't think there's any reason to believe he can't get to a passable level.

Top Bottom