• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

rrc1594

I'd say the Tag Match with New Day, ie the best thing in the WWE right now and the Dudleys, Seth's two matches and whoever the third man for the Reigns/Ambrose match will be. Ryback Owens could be good but no stakes and no story there really.

NXT is great, you should watch last nights episode if you can catch it anywhere. Sasha and Bayley are indeed going to be having an Ironwoman match.

1. The Dudleys!
2. Ironwoman match between Sasha and Bayley. MOTY

Ziggler got his own problems in the storyline from hell.

Are they still with the Dolph/Lana bullshit? That's been going on for like 3 months already!

Nah, there'll never be anyone as insane as Teddy Hart. If I was a billionaire I totally would've funded his idea for a promotion where the turnbuckles would raise or lower and hazards would activate around the ring based on a live-consensus of audience members with voting machines. He also wanted to train a variety of animals to wrestle so they could be managers and compete in interspecies tag matches.

So you'd support an alleged rapist?

11296931_477600775730047_1898522929_n.jpg

Kaiterra

Banned
This is such bone headed, old school "protect the business" bullshit. It's not the 80s anymore. Everyone knows what wrestling is, even the kids. WWE has gone to great lengths to get people attached to the people who play the characters on their show instead of the characters. They're trying something new, a new way of marketing their talent to their audience, yet Melzer and his little buddy are stuck on "why are they breaking kayfabe to promote charity work" shit.

It's pretty silly. You would think two guys who have made their lives (especially Meltzer) don't see the upside or even the bigger picture of what WWE is doing with their brand and talent. Alvarez in particular is a real shittheel about this stuff. When he goes on his high pitched rants about how IT MAKES NO SENSE, essentially giving voice to posters in this thread who think Stephanie is a terrible human and ruins the show because charity work promos break kayfabe.

WWE moving away from forcing their talent to stay in character even during promotional appearances is the best thing they can do. Remember when they made Kane show up to the premier of his movie in his wrestling gear? It's like making actors show up in character to all their press junkets for their movies. How silly would that be? That's how WWE was operating for 30 years. It's a much needed change. WWE's writing issues have nothing at all to do with the way they present their talent as humans outside of the ring.

I see your point for outside appearances but I don't think it's the right way to do things when it happens in actual segments on the show, at the arena.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Do you guys still enjoy Steve Austin's stuff even though he beat his wife?

It's tough at times, because I know the facade he puts on is just a facade. But I feel like he's able to use that to be a better person and lead as a better example, if that makes sense.

klonere

Banned
I see your point for outside appearances but I don't think it's the right way to do things when it happens in actual segments on the show, at the arena.

or playing different sides within the context of different storylines (heel authority Steph/face Divas Revolution Steph????)

RP912

Banned
He fucked up, went to jail, and he's better for it.

I mean Booker T was in fucking prison. Not jail. PRISON. No beef against him.

Hulk Hogan can fuck off though.

This...exactly this.

There's a difference between learning from your mistakes and being a shithead wondering why Karma is hard to deal with...

This is such bone headed, old school "protect the business" bullshit. It's not the 80s anymore. Everyone knows what wrestling is, even the kids. WWE has gone to great lengths to get people attached to the people who play the characters on their show instead of the characters. They're trying something new, a new way of marketing their talent to their audience, yet Melzer and his little buddy are stuck on "why are they breaking kayfabe to promote charity work" shit.

It's pretty silly. You would think two guys who have made their lives (especially Meltzer) don't see the upside or even the bigger picture of what WWE is doing with their brand and talent. Alvarez in particular is a real shittheel about this stuff. When he goes on his high pitched rants about how IT MAKES NO SENSE, essentially giving voice to posters in this thread who think Stephanie is a terrible human and ruins the show because charity work promos break kayfabe.

WWE moving away from forcing their talent to stay in character even during promotional appearances is the best thing they can do. Remember when they made Kane show up to the premier of his movie in his wrestling gear? It's like making actors show up in character to all their press junkets for their movies. How silly would that be? That's how WWE was operating for 30 years. It's a much needed change. WWE's writing issues have nothing at all to do with the way they present their talent as humans outside of the ring.
And yet 90% of this thread is always complaining about "HEELS CAN'T DO MOVES"

Sephzilla

So, can I ask an interesting question. Is it okay for me to still appreciate/enjoy Hulk Hogan the professional wrestling character but think real life Hulk Hogan is a piece of shit?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So, can I ask an interesting question. Is it okay for me to still appreciate/enjoy Hulk Hogan the professional wrestling character but think real life Hulk Hogan is a piece of shit?

Of course.

Or you know don't have the villain promote how good they are.

Loki didn't talk about all the hospitals he visited in the middle,of avengers. There is a time and place for that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Loki didn't talk about all the hospitals he visited in the middle,of avengers. There is a time and place for that.

Yet the actor himself did...

HMMMMM...

Perhaps you're arguing the wrong side...

klonere

Banned
It's tough at times, because I know the facade he puts on is just a facade. But I feel like he's able to use that to be a better person and lead as a better example, if that makes sense.

I wanna believe that he is a reformed guy now as everything I hear coming from him points to that.

Hopefully he'll speak out more openly in the future about the whole ordeal. At the moment all we get is "I was wound up real tight".

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't enjoy the Cosby Show at all anymore. It sucks, because I can't even enjoy Theo and Cockroach's antics, or Rudy being a little shitheaded child, or Claire being Claire

Or Denise being Denise.......

Sephzilla

I really wish Sting would shave that soul patch. It looks awful

I can't enjoy the Cosby Show at all anymore. It sucks, because I can't even enjoy Theo and Cockroach's antics, or Rudy being a little shitheaded child, or Claire being Claire

Considering how big the Cosby scandal ended up being I can totally understand how it's hard to watch his stuff anymore. My gf and I went back and watched his big standup special from the 70s and, while i still laughed, it was rough in spots

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget Raven Symone

Forget her. She was worthless and tried to out-Rudy Rudy. She can burn in a circle of hell along with all the other sitcom "added" children like Seven from Married with Children

No, but no one would be upset if Tom Hiddleson was in a commercial for a charity during a TV broadcast of The Avengers. Which is basically what the charity promos are. They're bumper segments. It just happens that most wrestlers go by their wrestling name when not wrestling for some reason. They aren't in character when doing those promos.

On top of that, is it really impossible to believe that Triple H and Stephanie give a shit about kids? As in, the characters. Do people really think a heel character is a heel in all aspects of life? Even in the 80s, it would be acknowledged that heels had wives and kids. Are we to believe that they went home and were the same person with their families as they were in the ring with their opponents? Of course not. Mean boss does not equal hates kids, too.

What if someone made a supercut of The Cosby Show with BIll Cosby excised? That might be an interesting (and short) experiment.

Cagey

Banned
And yet 90% of this thread is always complaining about "HEELS CAN'T DO MOVES"

There's a tremendous difference in complaining about heels breaking character to be their human selves and discussing charity work, i.e. not keeping it kayfabe at all times when it has no bearing on their performance, and criticizing heels for breaking their character to play another character (that character always being "athletic cool movez dude!") when they're actually performing.

The former is stupid to complain about. The latter is a problem endemic to modern wrestling.

Ithil

Lol the shit you come up with amazes me sometimes.

Mostly. Except this part

HHH and Steph flipping from face to heel in the same segment is absurd. They have no consistency, and thus none of their heel stuff gets any investment because they pretty much do it all while winking and saying "we're only pretending to be bad guys".

They claim RAW is an "action adventure soap opera". Yet they appear to have no consistent rule for whether RAW is in any sort of kayfabe or not. Is RAW a story, or is it half a story that constantly breaks to go "WWE is great and all the heels are actually nice people"?

What's the point in doing any heel stuff if it's immediately followed by the same heel breaking character and telling you they're just pretending? Should the villains of all TV shows stop mid-episode and lecture you about their charity work as actors?

It's all well and good to promote your brand with philanthropy as marketing, but if your face of that is going be Stephanie, then maybe Stephanie shouldn't be playing a heel authority figure on the TV show.

No, but no one would be upset if Tom Hiddleson was in a commercial for a charity during a TV broadcast of The Avengers. Which is basically what the charity promos are. They're bumper segments. It just happens that most wrestlers go by their wrestling name when not wrestling for some reason. They aren't in character when doing those promos.

On top of that, is it really impossible to believe that Triple H and Stephanie give a shit about kids? As in, the characters. Do people really think a heel character is a heel in all aspects of life? Even in the 80s, it would be acknowledged that heels had wives and kids. Are we to believe that they went home and were the same person with their families as they were in the ring with their opponents? Of course not. Mean boss does not equal hates kids, too.

The opening promo of RAW was about their charity for kids with cancer. How can I boo two people advocating donations for cancer research? Am I even supposed to boo them? They act like heels later in the show, but they're total babyfaces in the first segment.

Look there is nothing wrong with enjoying problematic media, like even progressive pro wrestling is still backwards as fuck. It is just important to be aware of the affects it has on you and on society as a whole.

As for people who are pieces of shit in real life, that can be a lot more nuanced. It should make you not want to watch Cosby material because that to me seems pretty irreconcilable. For someone like Hogan, I've always thought he was a piece of shit and a racist so it doesn't change my feelings.

Arn Anderson is a badass.

I"m watching WCW Uncensored 1999 and the Four HorsemEN are taking on Kurt Henning and Barry Wend for the tag belts in a lumber Jacks strap match and in the match Kurt Henning got ahold of Arn's strap and punched him with it. Arn got pissed and pulled out a fucking tire iron from the inside of his jacket and knocked out Henning with it. Fucking awesome. I wonder what Arn would've pulled out if Henni ng hit him with a tire iron.

RP912

Banned
I miss the days when Atomic Drops were the law of the land. A knee crashing down on the asses of competitors really made wrestling professional.

I guess I should work on attaining an encyclopedic knowledge of scumbags in professional wrestling so I don't make any future faux pas. Also, I saw a minion.

W90H2C4.gif

imBask

Banned
"WHAT A DEVASTATING DROP KICK BY MISTER PERFEEEEECTAH!"

Curt Hennig was such a beautiful specimen. I miss him.

here's what Cole would say in the same situation on this weeks RAW :

"you know JBL last night I had a hot dog- oh a drop kick by perfect - and it was really good, you can watch my review on the WWE network "

If we posted how RAW commentary sells moves it would be something like this:

IMBASK!

"I interviewed HHH - hi Ithil - and you can watch it on WWE.com"

Top Bottom