• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sergio Garcia Tells Euro Press He'll Serve Tiger Woods Fried Chicken - GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
wtf is grape drink?

Grape-Juice.gif

A grape flavored beverage with zero grapes.

And yes, the fried chicken stereotypes along with the watermelon stereotypes make no damn sense. Who doesn't like those things? Sure, black people love chicken and watermelon. Because chicken and watermelon are goddamned delicious.

A grape flavored beverage with zero grapes.

And yes, the fried chicken stereotypes along with the watermelon stereotypes make no damn sense. Who doesn't like those things? Sure, black people love chicken and watermelon. Because chicken and watermelon are goddamned delicious.

I have a theory that it must have started in the North when there was a great migration of blacks from the South. They brought southern customs with them, and people must have mistook them for 'black' customs.

Meanwhile, cornbread, collard greens, biscuits, watermelon, fried chicken, pinto beans... where I'm from, we call them "Country foods." And if it wasn't for the national media, I would have called them 'white people food.' *shrugs*

massoluk

Banned
I never associated Fried Chicken with racism before I came to the United States.
I wouldn't be surprised if a Spanish dude didn't know it's racism in the one country on the other side of the world...

Pastry

Banned
I never associated Fried Chicken with racism before I came to the United States.
I wouldn't be surprised if a Spanish dude didn't know it's racism in the one country on the other side of the world...

That's such a bizarre food to reference in this sutuation that there is no way he didn't know.

Sye d'Burns

Then why would he say fried chicken at all? Is fried chicken considered by Europeans to be more emblematic of American dish than, say, a hamburger?

I actually wonder how many Americans would answer "fried chicken" instinctively when asked to name one American dish. It's certainly not the first one that came to my mind.

It is like people forgot the Fuzzy Zeller shit.

Indeed.

Wikipedia said:
At the 1997 Masters tournament, Zoeller made an off-hand remark regarding Tiger Woods. After finishing tied for 34th place with a score of 78, Zoeller, referring to the following year's Masters Champions Dinner, for which the defending champion selects the menu, said, "He's doing quite well, pretty impressive. That little boy is driving well and he's putting well. He's doing everything it takes to win. So, you know what you guys do when he gets in here? You pat him on the back and say congratulations and enjoy it and tell him not to serve fried chicken next year. Got it." Zoeller then smiled, snapped his fingers, and walked away before turning and adding, "or collard greens or whatever the hell they serve." K-Mart and Dunlop ceased sponsoring Zoeller after the incident.

"I know Fuzzy, and it was obvious to me that he was attempting to be funny," number-one ranked golf pro Tom Lehman said. "He probably would have said the same thing to Tiger's face and they both would have yukked it up...[But] it wasn't the best timing, and it wasn't in good taste. It's not appropriate."

"I've been on the tour for 23 years and anybody who knows me knows that I am a jokester," Zoeller said. "It's too bad that something I said in jest was turned into something it's not. But I didn't mean anything by it and I'm sorry if I offend anybody. If Tiger is offended by it, I apologize to him, too. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Tiger as a person and an athlete."

Zoeller later offered an apology directly to Woods, which Woods accepted.

massoluk

Banned
Then why would he say fried chicken at all? Is fried chicken considered by Europeans to be more emblematic of American dish than, say, a hamburger?

I actually wonder how many Americans would answer "fried chicken" instinctively when asked to name one American dish. It's certainly not the first one that came to my mind.

Actually... Can't say for European, but in my country, it's fried chicken and hamburger. Hell, McDonald's made more money selling fried chicken than burger at one point there.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Tiger wouldn't accept that offer since Sergio would probably fuck up the chicken right before it was done anyway

linsivvi

These are professional golfers who travel around the world all the time.

Reaction after he said that:
That comment was greeted by a stunned silence at the plush function at a Heathrow Hotel and Garcia’s European Ryder Cup team-mates — who shared the stage with him — looked away in embarrassment.

Stunned silence. Everybody there knew what it referred to and they are all Europeans.

akira28

I'm from the south, and I am definitely down with both fried chicken and grape juice. But not together. They just don't cooperate.

That's why grape drink. It has none of the acidity of grape juice.

But in truth it's not grape drink, it's grape soda. Welch's grape to be exact. Or maybe Nehi.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That's such a bizarre food to reference in this sutuation that there is no way he didn't know.

Spaniard here.

Sergio is extremely aware of what he said. Fried chicken and collard greens ARE popular in Spain and have absolutely no racial connotations. However, the way he made that reference is blatant and shows he actually has an understanding of the American stereotype, unlike most Spaniards.

There is no way around it. At best, he was insensitive.

Racist Spaniard? Shocking news. Next tournament he'll probably throw a banana at Tiger as custom in their land. Those Alabama suburbs.
Keep fighting stereotypes with stereotypes, you'll get far.

TEJ

If he didn't know that fried chicken was a stereotype about black people in America, and was just mentioning food off the top of his head, how far away was he from mentioning something like unagi sushi?

He should have known better, if he knew the stereotype, and if he didn't it's a really random thing to say about a black person from america.

but at least he didn't say "bananas" or go "ook ook eek eek".......................................

Simplet

Spaniard here.

Sergio is extremely aware of what he said. Fried chicken and collard greens ARE popular in Spain and have absolutely no racial connotations. However, the way he made that reference is blatant and shows he actually has an understanding of the American stereotype, unlike most Spaniards.

There is no way around it. At best, he was insensitive.

He might be aware that there is a stereotype but not that it's "racist". Like if the other guy was mexican and he'd say that he's going to serve him burritos.

What a jackass. Of all the things he could genuinely rip on tiger for, he chooses race? Makes him come off like a child and an ignorant one at that.

You know, I'm more offended by his bullshit apology than this fried chicken remark.

Folks, if you gonna say racist shit...ok. Say it. But fucking own it after you let it loose. Don't pussyfoot around the mofo.

"Oh black man and fried chicken?! I in no way meant that as racist!! :("

I just don't understand how there can be a feud in golf.

Seriously? You can't understand how two athletes can get competitive with one another when millions of dollars are at stake?

The thing that gets me about this story is that Tiger just takes the high road and doesn't say much. Just continues to move on, but Sergio is still taking shots at him a few weeks later.

usea

Seriously? You can't understand how two athletes can get competitive with one another when millions of dollars are at stake?

The thing that gets me about this story is that Tiger just takes the high road and doesn't say much. Just continues to move on, but Sergio is still taking shots at him a few weeks later.
Competition and feuds are orthogonal.

Competition has nothing to do with acting childish towards your competition.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Cheap ass Sergio. At least get him some of the quality stuff...not that KFC bullshit.

Should just go full on heel. Does he get endorsements? If not, why apologize.

Crisco

Banned
I mean, I'm not black, but I don't really see what's offensive about this. Is it racially charged? Sure, but so are KFC commercials. It's not like he said "I'll invite Tiger over to smoke some crack". Now that would be racist. Fried chicken is delicious and legal.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I mean, I'm not black, but I don't really see what's offensive about this. Is it racially charged? Sure, but so are KFC commercials. It's not like he said "I'll invite Tiger over to smoke some crack". Now that would be racist. Fried chicken is delicious and legal.

You can not simply ignore the history of race relations and stereotypes used in the past. It was a racist joke that Sergio thought was funny. I cannot believe anyone would not see the problem with what Sergio said. Sergio instantly regretted it when the crowd went silent after he said it. Sergio knows he effed up, the entire room knows he effed up, Fuzzy knows he effed up but Crisco on GAF has no issue with it.

Ducarmel

Should just go full on heel. Does he get endorsements? If not, why apologize.

TaylorMade-adidas distances itself from Sergio Garcia

Sergio Garcia may not receive a fine, suspension, or any other type of discipline from the European and PGA Tours, but the financial and other ramifications for the Spanish golfer’s racially insensitive remarks could be punitive.

Garcia, who apologized on Wednesday to the tours, Woods, and “anybody I could have offended” by his fried chicken comment has already heard from his primary sponsor, TaylorMade-adidas, which distanced itself from the embattled player.

source

Of course he is going to apologize and do as much damage control he can.

I know of how Tiger Woods tried to play on to the fact tat he's of mixed racial heritage, but how many people actually consider him "part black" or part native American"? I'm asian, and I don't see him sharing any similarity to me and my kin. I see his complexion. I see his teeth. I see his lips. And I see his hair. It's not that I slam on him or look upon him any less because I see him predominantly as black, but his whole self-identification of being cablanasian is abit of a head scratcher for me given how he only seems to express any degree of deference to those cultures only when he's trying to distance himself from his black heritage.

Any I'm curious as to how Sergio Garcia's competitive, but ill advised words may affect him, as he's not an American, and is not bound by American political correctness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom