• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious Sam 3: BFE |OT| No weapon limit, no regenerating health, no cover, all man.

Draft

There's a lot I like about SS3, but man, there is some awful stuff in the early levels. No cover? Give me a break. I've spent the last 15 minutes running around a maze of storage lockers (seriously) ducking inside them to hide from a helicopter. And these turrets? What the hell.

The first three or four levels makes you question whether this is a Serious Sam game or not.

The other levels give you a very solid "yes, it is" answer

Draft

The first three or four levels makes you question whether this is a Serious Sam game or not.

The other levels give you a very solid "yes, it is" answer
Yeah, what the heck? The first couple levels felt like Croteam trolling. The build up to the first boss, that fight, and everything afterwards has been classic Sam.

I think Croteam made a whole bunch of those Middle Eastern town assets for a Call of Duty clone they were marking before SS3, then they stopped and realized, "Fuck this, lets go back to what we're good at" and here we are. I guess they just didn't want those assets to go to waste, that shit costs money, lol

PowerK

Played a 16 player co-op on the weekend. What a blast I had. Amazing to see so much stuff going on on the screen.

PowerK

Just FYI.

I needed to lower mouse sensitivity in the option menu all the way down. Even then, it was not enough for me. You can fine tune mouse sensitivity with the following cvars.

prj_fMouseSensitivity=n (default value is 1)

And if you find the vertical sensitivity too high or low compared to horizontal, use inp_fYLookSensitivity to change the vertical multiplier.

And to disable mouse acceleration,
prj_bMouseAcceleration=0 (default is 1=on).

Was this ever posted?

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/erik-wolpaws-top-10-games-of-2011/3883/

Valve's Erik Wolpaw gave his top 10 of 2011 and had SE3 at number 9:

9. Serious Sam 3: BFE

I love Serious Sam games, and this is a spectacular return to form for Croteam after the pretty lackluster Serious Sam II. I never get why people call Serious Sam "mindless". Other than once a year when I nominate myself for a million dollar MacArthur Genius Grant, I don’t consider myself a genius. So maybe I’m an idiot, but I’m thinking all the time when I play Serious Sam. About weapon selection, ammo supplies, enemy wave management. And I’m doing all of that thinking under serious time pressure as huge packs of monsters sprint towards me. You know what? Screw it. Serious Sam 3 is the thinking man’s first-person shooter.

Jharp

Picked this up a few weeks ago on sale and just started it today. Man, that first half an hour was rough, but once I had a shotgun, things got going pretty good and I fell right back into the Serious Sam groove I was in ten years ago. I'm going to have to check out this HD remakes they put out.

And I have to ask- the whole modern military aesthetic is a joke, right? Like, the Desert Eagle in place of the revolvers, the assault shotgun straight of CowaDoody instead of the beefy clown shotgun we know and love, the assault rifle in place of the drum mag tommy guns, etc. That stuff isn't like Croteam trying to appeal to the modern shooter crowd, but rather them poking fun at it.... right?

I mean, it's not that big a deal, because the game is still pretty tits. It's just weird is all.

And I have to ask- the whole modern military aesthetic is a joke, right? Like, the Desert Eagle in place of the revolvers, the assault shotgun straight of CowaDoody instead of the beefy clown shotgun we know and love, the assault rifle in place of the drum mag tommy guns, etc. That stuff isn't like Croteam trying to appeal to the modern shooter crowd, but rather them poking fun at it.... right?

I mean, it's not that big a deal, because the game is still pretty tits. It's just weird is all.

It's more serious than the earlier SS games but still tongue in cheek.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
gotta love undercode who do some of the songs for the serious sam games :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqsIyJfwDp4

also Regarding Xbox 360 SS3, it is in development, so we are on it since PC was released... It does require time to do all kinds of optimizations, first to fit all in memory and to get decent framarate, as 360 is rather old hardware now (512MB RAM, lower range graphics card etc).

Please be patient for around 4 more months for 360, we are doing our best to finish it in that timeframe.

We will then see what can be done with PS 3, as it has 256MB+256MB memory specs, which programmers here rpcomment as even more programming and optimization work to get it right.

The servers are all off, right?

Someone here on NeoGAF bought a 4pack, so I got it for about 6,50€.
But when I look for Coop-Servers, only saw about 2.
And Deathmatch-Server only one.

The multiplayer seems dead, right?

clockpunk

Fantastic news about a Fall release for 360! But XBLA...?! I'll be there Day One!

I assume SS3:BFE is a full retail title, and Double-D the only XBLA title? Either way, very glad to see it officially announced earlier today.

Atruvius

I have been playing this for a while and there is one thing I don't understand: do the enemies respawn infinitely? I was at the level where you blow up the sphinx and at the beginning the enemies spawn right as you kill them. I died numerous times till I said fuck it and just ran past all the enemies to the next checkpoints.

So should I kill all the enemies before moving onto a next area, or do the enemies just respawn over and over?

I have been playing this for a while and there is one thing I don't understand: do the enemies respawn infinitely? I was at the level where you blow up the sphinx and at the beginning the enemies spawn right as you kill them. I died numerous times till I said fuck it and just ran past all the enemies to the next checkpoints.

So should I kill all the enemies before moving onto a next area, or do the enemies just respawn over and over?

I'm pretty sure that there's a finite number of them.

Sciz

To my knowledge, the game never respawns enemies. It just has really enormous waves.

dLMN8R

Yes, every level has a specific number of enemies, and that number changes based on the difficulty you select. In your level completion stats it tells you what percentage of (and how many) enemies you killed in the level. More enemies killed = higher score.

theytookourjobz

Bought the SS complete pack awhile ago for SS3 but the game would never run. Downloaded and installed 3 times and got a black screen each time. Anyone have a similar issue?

Atruvius

Bought this during the summer Steam sale and finished it today, took me a while. I had a pretty good time with Sam, and it was actually my first modern PC game, so it gave me some good mouse aiming practice.

Last boss was pretty bad, though. At first I had no idea that there was a jet pack in one of the ruins. I just ran around shooting the cannon at the boss who just regenerated his health. Then there were dozens of heavy hitting enemies everywhere so it was really hard not to get hit.

Also, those teleporting-mind-controlling flesh ladies are the worst enemies ever, ugh.

Gotta buy The First and Second Encounter HD when they go on sale. Can recommend BFE if you like shooting at things.

Top Bottom