• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious Sam 3: BFE |OT| No weapon limit, no regenerating health, no cover, all man.

eXistor

So I played the first 2 levels now and so far it pretty much feels nothing like the previous games. I hope it gets better once you get more weapons :/

It gets soooo much better. I don't dislike the first couple of levels myself, but they're not quite what I want out of Serious Sam, but it gets great quick.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I just ran out of assault rifle ammo and for whatever reason that seemed so bizarre to me, so much so that I stopped dead in my tracks, completely shocked.

Then a sec later a bull ran me over and I died. :(

I hope you are right, because thats exactly how I felt with the second level.

Yeah, keep playing; it does get better, though I still don't think it reaches the greatness of 1st/2nd Encounter. I'm on the last level right now, and this level is pure Serious Sam. I just wish there was more of this in the earlier levels.

robin2

The game escalates a lot (The First Encounter was like this too); it starts slow then each level gets more and more packed with enemies. I like the progression, I think t's better than "multitudes from the very beginning".

AEREC

So I played the first 2 levels now and so far it pretty much feels nothing like the previous games. I hope it gets better once you get more weapons :/

The first few levels are pretty corridor based and feel out of place...but still fun in a way. It opens up later on and gets much better. But I do agree that this game is slow to start.

Semblance

On the Dark Bride level. Eighth level, I believe? Anyone know about how far along I am?

Game is still ballin' like whoa. I want a minigun already though.

Tain

On the Dark Bride level. Eighth level, I believe? Anyone know about how far along I am?

Game is still ballin' like whoa. I want a minigun already though.

You'll get it soon, I think. You might be a little over halfway through in terms of stage count, but the later stages took me much, much longer than the earlier ones.

Semblance

Good to know I'm not done yet. And yeah, I picked up the minigun maaaybe halfway through that Dark Bride level, doing so itself was a wild event. I just let it sit on the auto-turret for a bit thinking to myself, 'do I really need help here? Whatever' Then a wall of skeletons and projectiles flooded my screen and I was overran.

This game is exhausting. In the absolute best way possible, of course.

Riposte

The skeleton dudes are really one of my most favorite enemies in a FPS. They are like noodles or rice, good alone but even better when add them to pretty much anything else. Bulls + skeletons makes for quite a fight.

dLMN8R

Man I'm loving this game, but I cannot believe how hidden some of these secrets are. I spent a couple of levels devoting a huge amount of time just to finding secrets, thought I found most of them, and then ended the level realizing I barely saw a quarter of them.

What I'd love to do is just play through the game once without trying to find secrets, and then find more on a second play-through. There isn't some sort of in-game guide to finding secrets after you beat it once, is there? I hope I don't need to rely on FAQs/YouTube to find all of them!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The skeleton dudes are really one of my most favorite enemies in a FPS. They are like noodles or rice, good alone but even better when add them to pretty much anything else. Bulls + skeletons makes for quite a fight.
The most memorable section of First Encounter was oops, all skeletons. Really nerve racking but in a good way.

The skeleton guys, while annoying, are some of the best enemies in this series. I can't wait for the day when pc technology advances to a point where Croteam can draw HUNDREDS of the kleers onscreen at once. Imagine a 16 player co-op game with hundreds of kleers coming at you at once. That would be seriously epic!

Semblance

The end of level nine was brutal. Not afraid to admit it humbled me for a few attempts, but it felt so fantastic getting past that. Then I'm rewarded with losing all of my shit. Oh, Croteam, you~

Also, am I slow as hell or is this game pretty damn long. Steam thing says fourteen hours and I'm on level ten, heh.

The end of level nine was brutal. Not afraid to admit it humbled me for a few attempts, but it felt so fantastic getting past that. Then I'm rewarded with losing all of my shit. Oh, Croteam, you~

Also, am I slow as hell or is this game pretty damn long. Steam thing says fourteen hours and I'm on level ten, heh.

It's a pretty long game. I'm even slower, but I was playing on hard. Hard is pretty brutal on your first playthrough.

The M.O.B

How many people have found the secret guns yet? I think i've found all of them pretty early.

The sniper rifle, laser gun, and cannon, I found them before I even got the minigun. Unfortunately I have ran out of ammo on all of them in the middle of the Dark Bride level. :/

My Chapter completion time are as follows

Levels 1-8

Steam says I have played 10 hrs.but that's probably because I have left the game on for several occasions.

Played up through the fifth level. This game is fucking INTENSE. Its just this barrage of action, everywhere, but its still smart game design. They combine enemy types like projectile shooting scorpions with kamikazes, or have you dodging and ducking between buildings fighting shotgun guys with a big ass alien helicopter chases after you. Proper utilization of your arsenal is a must, mixing and matching guns to kick a specific ass for whenever the battle calls for, and the battle changes constantly! I had to take a break after the fifth level boss just to chill out for a bit.

Semblance

It's a pretty long game. I'm even slower, but I was playing on hard. Hard is pretty brutal on your first playthrough.

I'm playing it on hard as well. Momma didn't raise no wuss.
jbinR7Rm49rLk1.png

How many people have found the secret guns yet? I think i've found all of them pretty early.

Is the cannon a secret? They kinda just toss that thing out there fairly often toward the latter half. I found the laser gun fairly early on and then used up all my ammo right away. Haven't seen it since. I want a sniper rifle. :(

Also your times seem pretty good. Maybe I am slow!

Great review. And I'm very happy with how much variety we saw in 2011's shooters as well. Certainly not everything turned out to be a classic, but you know. The more variety out there, the better.

The M.O.B

Is the cannon a secret? They kinda just toss that thing out there fairly often toward the latter half. I found the laser gun fairly early on and then used up all my ammo right away. Haven't seen it since. I want a sniper rifle. :(

Well if you want the cannon early there was a secret in the level "Under the Iron Cloud", which is the 5th level, they don't give the cannon to you officially until the 9th level. Twas a nice early present :p

Sniper Rifle is always a secret weapon afaik, the game doesn't give it to you reguarly. I got it in the Silent Riddler level on top of a building i think, and in the power of the underworld level.

scitek

Great review. And I'm very happy with how much variety we saw in 2011's shooters as well. Certainly not everything turned out to be a classic, but you know. The more variety out there, the better.

Thank you. :)

Going back and replaying Bulletstorm and Hard Reset along with this has really been a lot of fun. I miss these shooters.

robin2

Any difference between cooperative mode (standard, classic, etc..), other than the life/respawn system?

I miss the advanced coop options. For example I'd like to increase (or just activate) the brief invulnerability right after you respawn. Monsters tend to stay still around your corpse, so when you respawn (you reappear where you died) you get instantly killed; so dying means entering in a reskill-loop. It's really annoying when you're playing modes with limited lives.

jayTOH

Any difference between cooperative mode (standard, classic, etc..), other than the life/respawn system?

I miss the advanced coop options. For example I'd like to increase (or just activate) the brief invulnerability right after you respawn. Monsters tend to stay still around your corpse, so when you respawn (you reappear where you died) you get instantly killed; so dying means entering in a reskill-loop. It's really annoying when you're playing modes with limited lives.

The difference between standard and classic is exactly your complaint, actually! Standard has the standard options set - three lives, probably normal enemies, health/armor/weapon stays, etc. Classic lets you customize everything, including the above, respawn time, max lives, etc.

Tain

I was so happy to see that coop defaults to limited lives per player. It wasn't like that in the HD remakes, right? Default in those is infinite lives, I think.

I was so happy to see that coop defaults to limited lives per player. It wasn't like that in the HD remakes, right? Default in those is infinite lives, I think.

defaults to unlimited lives in the classics yes, but you can of course customise.

dLMN8R

Man I'm loving this game, but I cannot believe how hidden some of these secrets are. I spent a couple of levels devoting a huge amount of time just to finding secrets, thought I found most of them, and then ended the level realizing I barely saw a quarter of them.

What I'd love to do is just play through the game once without trying to find secrets, and then find more on a second play-through. There isn't some sort of in-game guide to finding secrets after you beat it once, is there? I hope I don't need to rely on FAQs/YouTube to find all of them!

Anyone? :-(

robin2

The difference between standard and classic is exactly your complaint, actually! Standard has the standard options set - three lives, probably normal enemies, health/armor/weapon stays, etc. Classic lets you customize everything, including the above, respawn time, max lives, etc.

Thank you very much.

I understand that, in the "Classic" co-op mode, if I set a limited "respawn credit" (let's say 3), I'll get a respawn/lives system as the "Standard" co-op mode (that is, you have limited respawns but you can "buy" more by killing monsters), yes?

jayTOH

Thank you very much.

I understand that, in the "Classic" co-op mode, if I set a limited "respawn credit" (let's say 3), I'll get a respawn/lives system as the "Standard" co-op mode (that is, you have limited respawns but you can "buy" more by killing monsters), yes?

Yeah, that's how it works in classic mode, too. Not sure if there's an option to disable that, though.

Semblance

Just completed it, on hard, zero quick saves. Figured the last boss out on my own, too. And, well, shit.

This was a man's game.

Yo, I didn't even realize until I was flying around at the end that you can actually charge the cannonballs, which ...
iEfeaBT7Kkupi.gif

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ffffuuuu.... I need some help with performance issues blergh.

I've tried the following settings :

gpu speed - ultra
cpu speed - ultra
gpu memory - high

and

- high
- high
- medium

But I still get annoying stuttering every couple of seconds, and the only thing the performance setting seem to change ( not my framerate oddly enough ) is the frequency of these stutters.

Anyone encountered this?

My rig is : 2600k @ 4.6, SLI 560 ti@570 stock speeds, 290.53 drivers.

Corky

Tried disabling overlclock (CPU, GPUs, or both) and or SLI?

Tried disabling OC on gpu, didn't really affect anything. Haven't adjusted my cpu oc which is rock solid and has been for months.

I should've turned off SLI but I forgot, are there known issues with it ? I checked nvidia inspector and it showed a healthy 70-80´% usage on both cards so I just assumed SLI was working as intended.

jayTOH

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that turning the CPU option to low and leaving everything else at ultra helped big time. If that works, then from there you can tweek the CPU options to see which one to leave alone?

Corky

Well I fixed it, all I had to do was to put CPU to high instead of ultra, and suddenly I'm getting 60 throughout the first cairo level. Have no idea how that could affect things so much.

Sciz

I can't decide if the last level is amazing or terrible.

On one hand, it has the neverending corridors of monsters that are actually kind of scarce elsewhere in the game, so it's nice to be able to really let loose.

On the other hand, it goes on for well over an hour and doesn't do anything else. Plus they only used about half of the available monsters, so the waves get repetitive pretty fast.

Uriah

Did anybody else with the deluxe edition watch the making of the game? At the end of the video they showed concept art for the next serious sam. It shows Sam in front of a destroyed Eiffel tower with alien warships in the sky.

Semblance

Did anybody else with the deluxe edition watch the making of the game? At the end of the video they showed concept art for the next serious sam. It shows Sam in front of a destroyed Eiffel tower with alien warships in the sky.

GOTY, for whatever year it drops.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I need to watch that.

I also need to finish Serious Sam 3. ;)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I can't decide if the last level is amazing or terrible.

On one hand, it has the neverending corridors of monsters that are actually kind of scarce elsewhere in the game, so it's nice to be able to really let loose.

On the other hand, it goes on for well over an hour and doesn't do anything else. Plus they only used about half of the available monsters, so the waves get repetitive pretty fast.

it doesn't feel repetitive in coop. It's totally overwhelming in a good way.

also they used ALL enemies.

red731

I havent't even finished the game in single, but in coop many times.

I LOVE TO BLAST MY AUDIO TO THAT PUMPING
IRISH :D
MUSIC WHEN SHITS ABOUT TO GET DOWN IN SURVIVAL

I love this game so much as I did the earlier versions, except 2.

Also I love Croteam...so many performance options everytime they release Sam. I made it run beautifuly on my laptop.

Uriah

I started playing on Serious difficulty and I wish they hadn't added so many enemies with hitscan weapons. The "no cover" tag goes out the window when you're hiding behind a wall to avoid assault rifle fire.

dLMN8R

God damn this last level is insane! I finally got to the final boss, died around 10 times in a row, and called it a night. I wasn't really exploring around to figure out how to really beat him so I'll give it a SERIOUS go tomorrow.

Steam just updated the game, with apparently a bunch of fixes for stereoscopic 3D support. hopefully it works with iz3D which had a few minor issues that sound like the same ones they are talking about, but they don't specify between nvidia and amd. there was a bunch of other fixes too.

Top Bottom