• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious Sam 3: BFE |OT| No weapon limit, no regenerating health, no cover, all man.

poisonelf

Oh hey, a game that is not made by a multi-million behemoth showering us with advertising and pay offs. Let's show the world how harsh and objective we are with our reviews.

Not to mention that it's not a copy-paste from CoD and BF, it's actually fun in single player. What the fuck is this shit.

Great observations too. Essentially they're saying it's less fun because they say so. "Novelty wearing off." AS OPPOSED TO FUCKING WHAT? THE NOVELTY OF MODERN WARFARE? "Sprinting feels detached." Morons.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm glad that people who are audience of this game don't visit Gamespot en masse.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I remember way back when Serious Sam first came out when Kasavin was still running GSpot, they gave it a great review and even their GOTY award.

Oh how things have changed.

I haven't been to gamespot since Gerstmann-gate. Looks like I haven't been missing much.

Christ that review sounded like a middle school paper trying to use big words. Gross.

poisonelf

It's like he was trying to find nonsensical, general negatives to specific strengths of the game. "Graphics are beautiful, reflective waters, detailed, but are also bland" or how he claims that while there is lots of action, hordes of enemies, but he found 'no joy' in shooting them. Lots of weapons, they feel great, but should have even more... What?

Deadbeat

Banned
Christ that review sounded like a middle school paper trying to use big words. Gross.
Just because you dont understand the epiphany of conjunctiva reviews doesnt mean when creating consanguinity for gaming masses that your punctilious attitude has any unurbane justification.

Just finished the game. It took me about 16 hours.
The game started out pretty slow but after around 2-3 hours it got much better and stayed good throughout the whole game.
The guns feel much better than the previous games and there's even some recoil on the pistol.
One thing that bothered me was the lack of new weapons and the "serious pack" that replenishes all your ammo + the fact game focuses more on the "realistic" weapons. The lasers ammo were pretty much all secrets and the sniper rifle was also a secret (+ you lose it further in the game). I'm not sure if I missed any other weapons since I only found 48 secrets.
I tried to play some multiplayer but the game was really laggy since it uses p2p instead of dedicated servers so I didn't play very long. I also only found 2 servers and only one of them was close to being full.
I'm not really sure where I rank this game in the series. I prefer The Second Encounters sillines/insanity over the more serious approach in 3 but otherwise I thought that the level design was the best in the series.
Overall I'm very happy with the purchase and don't regret getting it at full price. Hopefully it sold well enough that other devs/pubs see that there's a market for old-school style fps on PC.

Sciz

The lasers ammo were pretty much all secrets and the sniper rifle was also a secret (+ you lose it further in the game). I'm not sure if I missed any other weapons since I only found 48 secrets.
The laser gun and sniper rifle weren't originally planned to be in the game, but got added in as secrets because of fan demand. I kinda miss ammo packs too, but the game in general is much tighter about ammo availability as a balancing factor than SS1, so I can understand why they got cut.

I tried to play some multiplayer but the game was really laggy since it uses p2p instead of dedicated servers so I didn't play very long.
There are dedicated servers available, they just aren't widely used. I'd expect most of the game's multiplayer activity is small co-op sessions between friends, and those don't lend themselves well to setting up dedicated hosting.

The laser gun and sniper rifle weren't originally planned to be in the game, but got added in as secrets because of fan demand. I kinda miss ammo packs too, but the game in general is much tighter about ammo availability as a balancing factor than SS1, so I can understand why they got cut.
Ah, didn't know that. I guess that makes sense
There are dedicated servers available, they just aren't widely used. I'd expect most of the game's multiplayer activity is small co-op sessions between friends, and those don't lend themselves well to setting up dedicated hosting.
Really? Sucks that they're not being used. I only found 2 servers and both had a ping over 100.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I hope this game is part of an upcoming holiday sale or something, because it looks and sounds absolutely awesome. If not, I'll gladly buy it anyway.

I know man, I'm waiting for the Steam Xmas sale to blow over before I buy it, just in case they give a good discount. Wait is kinda killing me though, this looks great.

that's flipping awesome.

my copy started crashing last night. hopefully rolling back my drivers has fixed that annoyance. i had to quick save on the big fight outside that pyramid because it was crashing half way through. really takes away from the game when you can't just play checkpoint to checkpoint because of instabilities.

edit: turns out i'd enabled multicore rendering, which improved my performance but really hurt my stability. turned it off and the crashes went away.

it pains me how quiet this thread is though. it's such a good game.

Sciz

Another bugfix patch released, notably with a number of fixes for multithreading and multi-GPU systems, as well as improvements to controller support.

Serious Sam 3 Update Released
Product Update - Valve
- Network priority for projectiles is now boosted dynamically for each player's connection so that he gets those projectiles that are more important to him first (those fired by him, or at him).
- Optimized render target switching to improve performance on multi-GPU setups.
- Optimized screen clearing for SLI setups. Can be tuned by new cvar 'gfx_iClearBeforeRendering'.
- Fixed problem with too much shadow buffer clears when using muti-threaded rendering on multi-GPU setups.
- Fixed problems and crashes with several renderables in multithreaded rendering. (Note that this still an experimental feature!)
- Optimized memory usage for several multiplayer characters in team modes, by reusing same texture for red and blue, with dynamic colorizing in shader.
- View bobbing option now also affects weapon bobbing and weapon swaying.
- Fixed auto aiming (used by gamepads) on Warship enemy, so it aims for the right spot, not the center of the ship.
- Added yet another controller preset.
- Added some new swim and dive animations for the player (so user-made maps can use deep water).
- Controller crouch command no longer displays player list.
- Fixed controller being unable to skip intro cutscene.
- Errors related to microphone settings are now classified as "log", as they are not actually a problem.
- Optimized lightning particle effect implementation. On average, memory consumption is reduced by 50%, and performance is increased by 30%.
- Limited maximum subdivisions on lightning particles to ensure the do not exceed reasonable time and memory boundaries.
- Fixed potential crash after canceling a server list query.
- Added Russian localization for Santa Sammy.
- Fixed game freezing on entering menus via right arrow keyboard key.
- Updated in-game and in-editor console line editor to support unicode strings.
- Updated slider to fade out its value when widget is not on the active menu.
- Fixed graphics options defaults not resetting FOV value to default.
- Aiming hint for Devastator will not be shown if the user doesn't own the Devastator scope DLC.
- Fixed a possible crash occurring in a rare situation of player picking up a scaffolding pole while some client is connecting.
- Fixed an issue with wrong weapon shooting placement on hands weapons if they are used after "getting up from the floor" player animation.
- Fixed an issue causing Mutilator to sometimes fail to work on client if it's not rendered on server.
- Console font is now an OpenType font (DejaVu Mono), instead of a fixed bitmap, thus it supports a wide range of non-ascii characters and different scaling.
- Added console font scale cvar.
- Disabled cheat menu access during level loading.
- Fixed Khnum sliding after melee.
- Fixed endless loop at game start under OpenGL; waiting for all shaders to be pretouched (which never happens in OpenGL).

Riposte

The game is exhausting, yep.

Seriously. I can't remember the last time where I felt so much fatigue, actual fatigue, at the end of the level in a game. Enemies just keep coming and coming, and I am at their mercy. I fear for what the game will become by the end lol. Currently at the Silent Riddler, at the final battle of the level I think(/hope).

Speaking of which, Survival seems impossible to me right now. I last maybe three minutes at most.

It kinda sucks that you occasionally need to roll back a save or two, but the game remembers the last 8 or so auto-saves. It kinda sucks that glorious no-quicksave mode has to be a player-imposed rule, but it's far more sensible to do that now that the checkpoints are overall pretty good.

This scares me. I set quicksaves to 1, without realizing that dictated auto-save slots too. Once set it seems you can't set it back. I should probably begin manual saving at every auto-save. (I too am using the self-imposed no quicksave rule.)

Another thing, I've never seen a game's competitive multiplayer this dead before(so soon after release). Couldn't get a single match, weird. (I imagine it is complete nonsense lol)

leng jai

Still haven't clocked the game yet - after half an hour I don't feel like playing anymore. Not because its bad, because mentally exhausting and pretty repetitive.

Riposte

The game is now pushing me to use all my weapons at once, so it is getting more and more fun. However, I haven't really found a use for that laser armlet thing or c4. Too unwieldy in my experience. Anyway incredible game. Shit gets so crazy at times.

Archurro

I'm getting weird graphical glitches that making the game unplayable for me at the moment. All the text is super low resolution, making almost everything unreadable, and the game world loads up where all the polygons and textures are all grey and messed up. Tried taking photos, but print screen only just came up with a gray screen. It was working fine during launch and about 3-4 weeks ago, near like about a half a month after it came out, but it's f'ed up now. Help?

The M.O.B

Just beat the first boss, game is well worth the money I payed for it.

I heard from some reviewers that the co-op isn't actually that great? Does anyone share this same opinion?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just like the first two, this game is one of a few that can make me just chuckle like an idiot to myself, like I'm a pig rolling in slop or something. It's really wonderful after a few levels, they're so great at smart-dumb action (the reloading is jarring, though...)

jayTOH

In what way did reviewers say it was bad? I've played two-man co-op with my buddy a lot and it was a lot of fun. Haven't had the luxury of playing 3-16 players at the same time, though. I'm sure it'd be stable since Croteam's had the 16-man co-op feature over most of their games. There're also a lot of options you can set up to make it crazier anyway, like disabling health/armor/weapon stays, making enemies stronger, etc.

Bebpo

Banned
Is there a way to tweak this game to get it to run better? On my GTX580 it dips often into the 20s or lower and is rarely 60fps. Lowering the performance from ultra to high doesn't seem to help the framerate, just make it look worse. I feel like a game like this I want to try to get it to locked 60fps if I can.

dLMN8R

One of the best things about this game is how perfect the input routines seem to be. No matter how crazy things are on screen or how low my frame rate gets, mouse input is perfectly instantaneous. Absolutely necessary and thoroughly appreciated!!

Bring it out on the 360, already!

My money is ready to be yours, Croteam!

Console players don't enjoy games like Serious Sam. They demand tactical action, bold reinventions of the genre, compelling narratives, immersive storytelling, and cinematic pacing and flow, like in Modern Warfare's puppet theater single player campaigns.

AEREC

How does saving and scoring work? If you use quick save does it deduct from your score?

The first level I had like 25/15 saves and the next I just went with autosaves and had 14/15.

How does saving and scoring work? If you use quick save does it deduct from your score?

The first level I had like 25/15 saves and the next I just went with autosaves and had 14/15.

not sure about how it effects scoring, but it's possible to miss checkpoint saves. if you're too low on health at a checkpoint, it won't save, and some will only trigger when you perform a certain action which might not be necessary.

subversus

the game is awesome and all that but why the character starts walking even if I didn't press W?

the game is awesome and all that but why the character starts walking even if I didn't press W?

because you're playing with a pad and the analogue stick isn't properly centered? i'm not sure. i've haven't run into this or heard of anyone else with that issue.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Got to the Dark Bride level last night. Things are really getting balls hard but goddamn it's so good. Intelligently swapping weapons and rationing your ammo seems more important here than it was in the last games. In the previous level I ran out of rockets and c4, and had very little AR ammo, was down to 20 health and no armor and had to take out 2 scrapjacks and 2 red mechs with my 2 barrel shotty. Tense as hell.

subversus

my issue was lag-related.

Can someone explain me what is the deal with coop? I respawn endlessly and when we chose another mode where we had 3 lives these lives kept on replenishing.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Got the double-barreled shotgun.

holyfugginshiet @ this game.
iteQdvtpWCRNs.gif

AEREC

Just got a new surround sound setup on my pc and now SS3 seems to be missing sound from my center speaker so gunshots and anything directly in front of me doesnt make any sound at all.

Other games (MW3, TF2) work fine but not SS3 and I cant find any sound options other than volume settings in game.

Semblance

This game is rocking my fucking balls off. I've never even been all that crazy about this series before, but this game. Oh my. The double-barreled shotgun just feels so damn good.

I can't believe this thread is nearly dead already. I mean, I realize GAF is basically console land, but it's a bit depressing. Croteam created a monster of a shooter and no one even noticed.

So I played the first 2 levels now and so far it pretty much feels nothing like the previous games. I hope it gets better once you get more weapons :/

Semblance

I thought the second level kind of sucked. Lots of moving through corridors and shooting bugs with a pistol. I'm not sure if they wanted to ease players in or what, but they should have asked themselves at some point if any of that was actually, y'know, fun. It made no sense.

Third level is the real first level, honestly.

Top Bottom