• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious Sam 3: BFE |OT| No weapon limit, no regenerating health, no cover, all man.

Mine too.

It's time to reach the "nirvana of dodging" again.

Here's the launch trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQGO46QGlbk

That launch trailer looks awesome. I'm glad there's a ton of enemies on screen unlike earlier footage.\

Am I right in reading its $10 MORE for digital?

That's the Digital Serious Edition which comes with previous games, skins and artbooks. The regular edition is $40 and there is no retail version I believe.

e_i

"Line up...I'm offering free one way tickets to HELL!"

"It's not over until I teabag everyone of you alien MOTHERFUCKERS!""

Oh, that video makes me so giddy.

epmode

I ordered this in spite of my vow to avoid potentially messy PC launches because oh god I love Croteam. I hope it's good!

edit: I bought the waste of money SE becase, again, oh god I love Croteam.

Sysgen

Minimum System Requirements
CPU: Dual-core from Intel or AMD at 2.0 GHz
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 7800/7900/8600 series, ATI/AMD Radeon HD2600/3600 or 1800/X1900 series

Recommended System Requirements
CPU: Quad-core from Intel (i5/i7-series) or AMD (Phenom II) at 3.0 GHz
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 480/580 GTX, ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5870/6970

The recommended requirements are high, can't wait to see what this looks like. Pre-ordered sometime ago thanks to the the 20% discount for owning the other games, speaking of which just finished The Second Encounter which is just fantastic. Even on normal, to quote a reviewer, the game seems sometimes unfair. Seriously!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The recommended requirements are high, can't wait to see what this looks like. Pre-ordered sometime ago thanks to the the 20% discount for owning the other games, speaking of which just finished The Second Encounter which is just fantastic. Even on normal, to quote a reviewer, the game seems sometimes unfair. Seriously!

co-op mannnn

it's the one true way to play this game :)

Chiggs

Gold Member
Well, just pre-ordered it on Steam. Looking forward to a nice, simplistic shooter with minimal story and maximum gameplay.

Sciz

For some odd reason I didn't like SS2 though. SE was so much better than FE, but SS2 somehow felt worse than both. Can't remember why though.

SS2 kind of missed the point of Serious Sam. Part of it was executive meddling on the part of the publisher, part of it was designing around Xbox limitations, and part of it was Croteam just flubbing everything they could. The levels are too small, the enemy counts are too low, the weapons look and feel cheap, the aesthetics are cartoony in a bad way, the vehicle sections take away from the game, the bosses are too puzzle-based and less "shoot it until it dies", and the writing is just unbearably terrible. The game still has its moments, but you have to suffer through a lot of half-baked content to get there.

That rocked HARD...

...but cinematics?
Yeah, there's some modicum of a plot in this. I'm pretty sure I've read that the cutscenes are all skippable.

Just saw the trailer. I'm weirded out by the attempt at a plotline, but the game itself looks AMAZING. Fantastic job Croteam!

epmode

Just hoping it doesn't have consoleitis.

Judging from the recent HD remakes, this seems unlikely. They were created using the new Serious Sam 3 engine and had all of the ridiculous console commands and visual customization that was in SS1. Game speed, enemy count and level size were unchanged.

edit: Rock Paper Shotgun had a hands-on a month or two ago. They played through the first few levels and mentioned that the game quickly opens up into the usual massive Robotron-style brawl after an initial corridor-happy fake out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Judging from the recent HD remakes, this seems unlikely. They were created using the new Serious Sam 3 engine and had all of the ridiculous console commands and visual customization that was in SS1. Game speed, enemy count and level size were unchanged.

Yep.

What does BFE stand for: Only Croteam knows for sure, and they aren't telling.

I thought that they said previously that the abbreviation was for "Before First Encounter" seeing as this game is a prequel to serious sam tfe (the first encounter). Maybe I just assumed that was what it meant...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Same here.

does it also happen when you click on the forums and the store page from the game menu in your library... it takes you to the home page of both the store and the forums instead of the actual pages for the game itself... kind of concerning :p

Chiggs

Gold Member
does it also happen when you click on the forums and the store page from the game menu in your library... it takes you to the home page of both the store and the forums instead of the actual pages for the game itself... kind of concerning :p

Yeah, that's exactly what's happening. I hope this isn't botched.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I thought that they said previously that the abbreviation was for "Before First Encounter" seeing as this game is a prequel to serious sam tfe (the first encounter). Maybe I just assumed that was what it meant...

They've yet to state what it stands for
. The obvious answer would be Before First Encounter, but perhaps they've left it ambiguous for a reason. Maybe - just maybe - it means Before First Encounter and Beyond First Encounter. :eek:

deleted

SS2 kind of missed the point of Serious Sam. Part of it was executive meddling on the part of the publisher, part of it was designing around Xbox limitations, and part of it was Croteam just flubbing everything they could. The levels are too small, the enemy counts are too low, the weapons look and feel cheap, the aesthetics are cartoony in a bad way, the vehicle sections take away from the game, the bosses are too puzzle-based and less "shoot it until it dies", and the writing is just unbearably terrible. The game still has its moments, but you have to suffer through a lot of half-baked content to get there.

I guess that sums it up. I forgot that the game made it to the xbox (wasn't there a gamecube version too?), I thought the console version was especially made for consoles and not just a port of SS2.

Sciz

Downloading now. Curse my pitiful 3Mb/s line.

Oh good, someone else who read the OP. :D

Nope. It's a plausible interpretation, but there's been no official comment on it since the game was formally announced in February.

I guess that sums it up. I forgot that the game made it to the xbox (wasn't there a gamecube version too?), I thought the console version was especially made for consoles and not just a port of SS2.
SS1 was ported to Xbox in late 2002, and SS2 was released day-and-date with the PC version on Xbox in late 2005. An outsourced GCN/PS2 game came out somewhere between them.

poisonelf

Downloading, first time I've refreshed steam so many times over the past few hours :D

Loved the first game and the trailer looks fantastic.

.nimrod

Woo, download finished, will probably post some impressions later on

EDIT: first start didn't go that well :/

44HSM.png

I'm on nVidia

Teknoman

co-op mannnn

it's the one true way to play this game :)

I've been a Sam fan from day 1 and i've never managed to play co-op :(

Gonna change that with 3. Not sure how I missed out on the first and second encounter HD since I was there day one for those too.

Top Bottom