• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious Sam 3: BFE |OT| No weapon limit, no regenerating health, no cover, all man.

epmode

Woo, download finished, will probably post some impressions later on

EDIT: first start didn't go that well :/

44HSM.png

I'm on nVidia
God bless PC gaming.

I hope that was just a fluke. I'm usually so good about avoiding PC pre-orders but not in this case.

.nimrod

God bless PC gaming.

I hope that was just a fluke. I'm usually so good about avoiding PC pre-orders but not in this case.

I closed all other open programs and it runs fine now, was probably just D3Doverrider messing with the game.

Does anybody know the console command to change the FOV?

edit: found it, it's

plr_fFOVOverride=85

or any other number, TAB in the console gives options for autocompletion of commands

robin2

I closed all other open programs and it runs fine now, was probably just D3Doverrider messing with the game.

Does anybody know the console command to change the FOV?

edit: found it, it's

plr_fFOVOverride=85

or any other number, TAB in the console gives options for autocompletion of commands

I knew there was no FOV selector in the options *sigh*, being on a 4:3 monitor I NEED to change the FOV.

Where did you put that command, wrote it directly in the console (do you need to write it every session)?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I only have the pistol, and this game is already awesome.

Quick question though- what the hell is up with using melee to rip the eye out of the brute? What am I supposed to do with it? Throw it at another enemy?

Do you get more "money" if you melee something other than shooting it?

The game is hilarious in the fact that it has no tutorial. I'm willing to bet it wasn't a matter of not having enough time to make one, but more like "f tutorials!"

.nimrod

So awesome, just got my first achievement for killing an enemy i kicked while it was still in the air :D

I knew there was no FOV selector in the options *sigh*, being on a 4:3 monitor I NEED to change the FOV.

Where did you put that command, wrote it directly in the console (do you need to write it every session)?

Yeah, just type it into the console (fov at 100 seems about right to me in 16:9). Press tab after the first few letters for autocompletion. No idea if it stays between sessions.

This game on ultra is also pretty taxing on my gtx580, had to lower quite some settings to get 50-60fps in 1080p.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
These graphics are pretty goddamn good.

This is the first time I've ever seen an engine cast shadows through volumetric smoke/dust. It's amazing to behold.

These are the new god rays.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Any crazy performance issues? I'm interesting in buying this tonight or over the Thanksgiving break, but ever since RAGE, I've become more cautious again with day-one PC games.

scitek

Any crazy performance issues? I'm interesting in buying this tonight or over the Thanksgiving break, but ever since RAGE, I've become more cautious again with day-one PC games.

It won't start for me. I'm stuck on a flashing screen with a swirly loading symbol in the bottom left corner.

I'm playing Zelda, picking up batman today too... This shouldn't be so hard to resist.

But

It

Is.

Must not spend that $40 no matter how bargain priced that seems.

.nimrod

Holy shit i just fought that second scorpion dude with only 1HP during that whole fight.

Looks like normal really is a decent difficulty, as i find myself constantly running around with less than 50HP so far

scitek

Wow, I'm in the 30s as far as framerate goes with Ultra settings.

Phenom II x4 925 3.5GHz
4GB DDR3
2GB Radeon 6950

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've gotten through two levels so far on Normal.

I'm incredibly impressed. First off, the graphics engine is extremely good. They do tricks I haven't seen before with lighting, specifically casting shadows through real time volumetric effects such as smoke and dust. You really need to see it to appreciate how good it looks.

This is also not your average Serious Sam game. There are definitely moments of overwhelming ridiculous waves you need to mow through, but there are also very tense corridor sequences. Some of which are mini-sandbox, such as a massive hall inside the Egyptian museum where the arachnids could be crawling on any surface.

This brings another great aspect to the game- it utilizes obscuring effects very well. If you unload a ton of pistol bullets towards an enemy, it's going to kick up a lot of dust. This makes a natural risk-reward for unloading your weapon. Sure, you might kill whatever you were shooting at, but you've created so much dust debris that it could have scuttled off somewhere else. On top of this, if there is a sun beam near this dust, it creates a very bright beam through the new dust in real time, obscuring even more.

This also comes into play dealing with HDR. In the Egyptian museum hallway, there is a huge glass ceiling with sections missing off it. If you stare directly into a hole, you become temporarily blinded. It sounds gimmicky, but it actually makes for some great tactical positioning to make sure you can see your surroundings sufficiently.

There was also an extremely tense moment in the second level that reminded me of a great Doom/Aliens scenario. Flashlight, creepy noises everywhere, dark walls, and spider pods all over the place.

The new melee mechanic is great as well. Every enemy reacts differently to it - shotgun/machine gun guys get kicked back about 30 feet, but they'll stand back up so it buys you a little time. On the larger spiders, you rip off the top of it's carapace, killing it instantly. For the brutes, you rip out it's eye, which is an instant kill. One of the cool design systems they introduced here is that afterwords, you're holding the eye, so you either have to throw it or drop it before you can use your weapon again. It doesn't seem like throwing the eye at enemies does any damage, but I'm sure some of the later archetypes will have some beneficial temporary weapon you gain. I haven't tried meleeing the headless bomb guys... maybe you get one of their bombs.

These guys really know how to make a good shooter. They've taken everything that made Serious Sam fun and added some really well thought out design principles that have been introduced since it's release.

Definitely recommend it.

Tain

While I'd generally agree that quicksaves hurt action games more than help them, the combat encounters in Serious Sam are typically designed such that being able to quicksave has comparatively little impact on your ability to win. There isn't really much opportunity to poke your head in, bite off a manageable amount of the fight, and then duck out to save again; once you're in it, you're in it, and quicksaving before you're finished is probably just going to screw you over.

I can agree with this, at least. The SS games usually lock you into a battle, making it way easier to save yourself into a corner.

I still know what I'd prefer, though!

.nimrod

Man, this guy is kicking my ass.
I'm doing just fine until he spams his rockets fullauto, then it's almost instadeath. Doesn't help that i'm only at ~30HP on my last save

leng jai

Man I forgot to preorder and now I don't even get the discount for owning SS 1/2. Are there any better deals than Steam?

The M.O.B

A difficult fps in the year 2011? O_O

How is the variety so far in the environments/encounters? I hate that they went back to boring Egypt.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Scrublord on Metacritic.com said:
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DVD INTO THE SLOT. ITS SERIOUS SAM3 AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, SAM. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SHOOT DOWN SOME MONSTER BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY KILLED MENTAL'S MOST DANGEROUS ARMIES. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng
A user review brought to you by Metacritic.

I've gotten through two levels so far on Normal.

I'm incredibly impressed. First off, the graphics engine is extremely good. They do tricks I haven't seen before with lighting, specifically casting shadows through real time volumetric effects such as smoke and dust. You really need to see it to appreciate how good it looks.

This is also not your average Serious Sam game. There are definitely moments of overwhelming ridiculous waves you need to mow through, but there are also very tense corridor sequences. Some of which are mini-sandbox, such as a massive hall inside the Egyptian museum where the arachnids could be crawling on any surface.

This brings another great aspect to the game- it utilizes obscuring effects very well. If you unload a ton of pistol bullets towards an enemy, it's going to kick up a lot of dust. This makes a natural risk-reward for unloading your weapon. Sure, you might kill whatever you were shooting at, but you've created so much dust debris that it could have scuttled off somewhere else. On top of this, if there is a sun beam near this dust, it creates a very bright beam through the new dust in real time, obscuring even more.

This also comes into play dealing with HDR. In the Egyptian museum hallway, there is a huge glass ceiling with sections missing off it. If you stare directly into a hole, you become temporarily blinded. It sounds gimmicky, but it actually makes for some great tactical positioning to make sure you can see your surroundings sufficiently.

There was also an extremely tense moment in the second level that reminded me of a great Doom/Aliens scenario. Flashlight, creepy noises everywhere, dark walls, and spider pods all over the place.

The new melee mechanic is great as well. Every enemy reacts differently to it - shotgun/machine gun guys get kicked back about 30 feet, but they'll stand back up so it buys you a little time. On the larger spiders, you rip off the top of it's carapace, killing it instantly. For the brutes, you rip out it's eye, which is an instant kill. One of the cool design systems they introduced here is that afterwords, you're holding the eye, so you either have to throw it or drop it before you can use your weapon again. It doesn't seem like throwing the eye at enemies does any damage, but I'm sure some of the later archetypes will have some beneficial temporary weapon you gain. I haven't tried meleeing the headless bomb guys... maybe you get one of their bombs.

These guys really know how to make a good shooter. They've taken everything that made Serious Sam fun and added some really well thought out design principles that have been introduced since it's release.

Definitely recommend it.
Hype x 10. After Zelda and Batman I know what I'm playing!

Is there really no recharging health? The HD versions of first and second encounter have recharging health on the lowest difficulty.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
A difficult fps in the year 2011? O_O

How is the variety so far in the environments/encounters? I hate that they went back to boring Egypt.

It's actually modern day Cairo so far. I've been on the city streets, in a museum and in a mosque. The environments are very nice. Tons of pallets/crates/debris that's destructible, and lots of clutter every where. It looks like Call of Duty, to be honest.

I've encountered about 10 different enemy archetypes, and I'm just past level 3. I have 3 of the 20 (!!) weapons so far. There's also a pretty cool encyclopedia you can bring up that shows the model of every gun and enemy, and goes through and animated sequence showing it's attacks and weaknesses. Much more impressive than the one in the previous Serious Sams.

No regenerating health on Normal difficulty.

And yes, this game is like a mixture of Call of Duty, Doom and even a little bit of Half Life 2...

EDIT: Also, 4 player split screen on PC for both Co-Op and Versus, and 16 player online Co-Op and Versus.

EDIT2: And, there's a horde mode for both single and multi

EDIT3: There are decently spaced checkpoints, so you don't have to abuse the quick-save if you don't want to.

It's pretty damn challenging even on normal. The third level boss encounter was pretty epic.

Oh my god I've had this game prepurchased for so long and completely forgot about it due to DotA 2. Installing it now and hoping I won't have any technical issues. Let's do thiiiiiis! Need more friggin circlestrafing in my life.

By the way, to change the FOV, bring up the console and type in plr_fFOVOverride = 110 (or whatever number you'd prefer). You'll have to re-do it every time you restart the game BUT it saves your console input history, so just press the up arrow key and it'll be there each time you boot the game.

Edit: Okay, whoa. This game is SO good. It lets me run it at 60 fps with a huge FOV even though the game now looks like complete dogshit. I wish more games gave me this option. I'll always take performance over fancy graphics, especially in a fast-paced game like this. And boy, is it fast-paced. You run WAY faster than in the old games, especially when sprinting. The fight right after "Put a sock in it" really made me feel like I was finally playing a real Serious Sam game again. Loving the humor, loving the feel of the weapons thus far and the music is hugely improved over the originals. The metal track I just heard actually sounds like something I'd listen to outside of the game, go figure.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Holy shit.

This game is fucking great. I loved the original Serious Sam games when they were new and, like all gamers of a certain age I'd imagine, I was obsessed with Wolf3D/Doom/Quake/UT for over a decade. This is the modern iteration that we've been wanting.

Also, it is a true PC game. It has an absolutely insane amount of customisation options as far as optimising your rig goes, the brutal, fast, savage gameplay of Doom, humour that is actually funny, and it just feels right.

This may or may not mean much to any of you, but I unashamedly miss the glory days of 1990's PC gaming - easily tied with the 8-bit era in Europe and Britain as gaming's vintage years. This takes me right back there. If that's something you care about, you'll go apeshit for this. If you just want more CoD - stay far, far away.

robin2

It feels a lot like doom in some parts, but COD or HL2? No way, man.

Agreed.

Playing on hard and it's hard. lol.

Edit:
I'm not liking the melee kills. They're too effective and make the hammer (which on the contrary is well balanced) useless.

e_i

I love how blood gets all over the pistol. This game is very, very gory compared to the first 3 games which were cartoonish.

I love the nod to First Encounter when those suicide AAaaaaaaaaaaah guys are coming over the embankment and you get the same voice over skit. Later on, while in the museum, he snaps at one of the AAaaaaaaaaahhh guys: "Oh, SHUT UP!"

jayTOH

Full price GET! Can't believe how in only two weeks I've bought two games at their full price (SR3 and now SS3) after years of waiting for sales. I love me some fun games.

epmode

I agree that the balance on the melee/hammer stuff might be a little off. Too strong? Cooldown too short? Both? At least it feels that way with the weaker enemies. The shotgun feels kind of pointless in comparison since it uses ammo while melee/hammer is infinite.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying it so far!

Oh my, pressing mid mouse to access NETRISCA and watch the intel on enemies and weapons is fantastic. If you let it sit on an entry for a while, it'll start showing you detailed info about each thing. The Sledgehammer one made me chuckle.

Also: *dramatic sound effect* "You mean the one you just called?", hahaha.

This game gives both Doom 1/2 and Doom 3 a run for their money... you'll see what I'm talking about once you get into the
dark parts of the museum.

Stage 1 clear... Secret: 5/17. Yep, I'm playing a Serious Sam game alright.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I agree that the balance on the melee/hammer stuff might be a little off. Too strong? Cooldown too short? Both? At least it feels that way with the weaker enemies. The shotgun feels kind of pointless in comparison since it uses ammo while melee/hammer is infinite.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying it so far!

Trust me, by level four you'll find that melee is not unbalanced at all. Keep in mind, when you're executing a melee, it takes time, and you're exposed to taking damage. It's more of a "clean up the last few" thing or "jump around a corner and snap a neck then jump back" thing to conserve ammo.

The hammer is mainly used to smash through wooden barricades to get to secret locations.

And as for my analogy towards CoD/HL2, I meant more in the gunplay. It's super tight, and when you're fighting the shotgun/machinegun guys they'll flank and use cover... something SS1+2 didn't have.

Also, the pistol is a beast for taking out guys at long range when using iron sights.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It looks like you really need a video card with at least 1.5 gigs on board for Ultra textures. On the 6850 1 gig frame rate is fine, but there are big 1-3 second pauses every once in a while as it moves textures from swap into RAM just like in Battlefield 3.

robin2

Yeah. I'm too early in the game but the "bouncing from an enemy to another, "E"ing them all" playstyle.. I hope it doesn't stay as exploitable as it is.

Against ten or so weak melee enemies: just ran backward around a column, and keep pressing "e", and you are done (what's the hammer there for then?). I don't think this is exactly how the developers imagined this game was meant to be played.

Of course a multitude of varied enemies (with area ranged attacks) will likely make things different, but..
I don't know. For the little time I've played, they just felt off the general balance of the gameplay.

Tain

There's no way they made this whole game without realizing how the melee works, though.

At least, I hope not. Shit's already kinda dumb. Maybe it only works on later enemies if they're weak enough?

epmode

A few levels in, I think I officially love the smoke effects. It's really something else to be forced to fire into a cloud of smoke not really sure if you're hitting anything because you can't afford to let the mob catch up.
At least, I hope not. Shit's already kinda dumb. Maybe it only works on later enemies if they're weak enough?
I know that the melee attack already doesn't kill the shotgun guys. It just knocks them down. Can't even use it on the charging bull things.
It looks like you really need a video card with at least 1.5 gigs on board for Ultra textures. On the 6850 1 gig frame rate is fine, but there are big 1-3 second pauses every once in a while as it moves textures from swap into RAM just like in Battlefield 3.
1.25 gigs of video RAM is good enough for ultra over here. No pauses.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Yeah. I'm too early in the game but the "bouncing from an enemy to another, "E"ing them all" playstyle.. I hope it doesn't stay as exploitable as it is.

Against ten or so weak melee enemies: just ran backward around a column, and keep pressing "e", and you are done (what's the hammer there for then?). I don't think this is exactly how the developers imagined this game was meant to be played.

Of course a multitude of varied enemies (with area ranged attacks) will likely make things different, but..
I don't know. For the little time I've played, they just felt off the general balance of the gameplay.

Yeah, melee chains are awesome when you have a long line of small creepers. They're extremely risky later in the game through, as it moves you forward at a very fast rate. You more often than not end up in the middle of a shotgun/missile/acid mob by the time you're done. It's pretty much impossible to get a melee chain going on larger enemies, though.

And, as I said, hammer is mainly used to smash barriers that hide secrets. It's basically the crowbar from HL.

Top Bottom