• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Severance season 2 announced for January 17, 2025

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

If you’re new to this Apple TV+ series, Severance is easily one of the best TV shows I’ve seen in the last few years, with an 8.7 on IMDB and 97% on Rotten. It’s got an incredible cast, a really unique concept, and excellent execution. I won’t spoil the plot, but I’d recommend watching the first episode, as it’s the type of show that will probably hook you from the very beginning.

Those of us who watched the first season have been anxiously awaiting season 2, which saw delays due to the writer strike. It’s finally announced to return January 17th, and I believe will run through March.

I’m so glad they finally announced a date, it just sucks that it’s 6 months away! Oh well, time for a third rewatch of season 1.

Who else here has watched this show?

Hrk69

Gold Member
Adam Scott Dancing GIF by Apple TV+

jonnyp

Severance is without a doubt my favourite show in over ten years. It was so surprisingly fresh and gorgeous. I really wish they take their time with this and don't rush something out. Season 2 of shows is too often a letdown, but I'm gonna keep my hopes up.
tons-of-gifs-of-milchick-dancing-but-i-couldnt-find-one-v0-xwe82whk7fsb1.gif

My thoughts too. Hope the extended hiatus means they've focused on repeating the quality of the first season.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I just watched it. I liked it. Especially the first half when it was super weird and mysterious. It got kind of rote in the middle there but the last episode was strong. I wish it was returning sooner.

I absolutely loved season 1. Can’t shake the feeling we’re gonna get a westworld season 2.

There just isn’t much more info I’d like. I wish this concept was a one and done season just with a couple extra episodes to tie the rest up. A full extra season? Idk.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I absolutely loved season 1. Can’t shake the feeling we’re gonna get a westworld season 2.

There just isn’t much more info I’d like. I wish this concept was a one and done season just with a couple extra episodes to tie the rest up. A full extra season? Idk.
Agreed. I just can't see a really good continuation that doesn't nosedive into the quasi religious stuff or breakdown the severance concept. S1 was just the perfect mix of weird and mysterious.

Fbh

Gold Member
On the one hand it's nice to finally have a date. This has been by far the best new show I've seen in a long time.
On the other hand damn I was hoping this would come out later this year. I know the writers strike delayed everything but almost 3 years in between seasons still sucks.

Reactions: cjp

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
On the one hand it's nice to finally have a date. This has been by far the best new show I've seen in a long time.
On the other hand damn I was hoping this would come out later this year. I know the writers strike delayed everything but almost 3 years in between seasons still sucks.

Its why I avoid watching new shows these days. Waiting a year was ok, but nowadays even before the strike, its at least 2 years. By that time I just move on and dont care. Ill wait until its done.

Reactions: Fbh

Pagusas

Elden Member
The ending was absolute fire... but its been so long its lost all its momentum and interest for me now. I'll have to rewatch it, but those first few episodes were BADDDDDDDDDD. The show took a long time to get good, but once it got there, it was damn good.

wondermega

I was a fan of the show from the get-go, it kind of got draggy (goats) but of course the final episodes delivered. However, I was pretty content with what they did and don't feel a huge need for them to own back the onion layers on this thing further; if they ended with S1 it would have been alright. Of course I'll tune in when the new season appears, but I'm hoping that it doesn't get into the kind of territory where "let's build up a ton of other subplots semi-lazily to keep the overarching arc going," if they have something tight (and resolvable) planned I'm interested. I guess we will see what happens.

Fbh

Gold Member
I was a fan of the show from the get-go, it kind of got draggy (goats) but of course the final episodes delivered. However, I was pretty content with what they did and don't feel a huge need for them to own back the onion layers on this thing further; if they ended with S1 it would have been alright. Of course I'll tune in when the new season appears, but I'm hoping that it doesn't get into the kind of territory where "let's build up a ton of other subplots semi-lazily to keep the overarching arc going," if they have something tight (and resolvable) planned I'm interested. I guess we will see what happens.

Yeah I really hope this is like Dark and they have a 2-3 season plan with most of the major story elements and mysteries figured out, and it doesn't turn into yet another one of these mystery box shows where they just keep adding more and more mysteries to keep viewers engaged, but they actually have no idea how to resolve any of them.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yeah I really hope this is like Dark and they have a 2-3 season plan with most of the major story elements and mysteries figured out, and it doesn't turn into yet another one of these mystery box shows where they just keep adding more and more mysteries to keep viewers engaged, but they actually have no idea how to resolve any of them.
Speaking of, how is Dark season 3? I’ve watched 1 and 2 but stopped before 3 (because I assumed there would be a fourth, but it looks like there won’t be). Worth watching? I liked 1 and 2 well enough.

Fbh

Gold Member
Speaking of, how is Dark season 3? I’ve watched 1 and 2 but stopped before 3 (because I assumed there would be a fourth, but it looks like there won’t be). Worth watching? I liked 1 and 2 well enough.

I really liked it and I think it's worth watching. I was afraid they had jumped the shark with the end of Season 2 but they actually pulled off a compelling ending.
As mentioned above I think it's well rounded, it feels like the creators actually had the entire plot in mind from the beginning (or at least the general outline) so you get proper closure and answers to all the major mysteries.
It's sadly refreshing in the mystery box genre to get a show with an actual compelling ending and not the usual vague and open ended finale where nothing gets explained and the creators try to pretend that "It was always more about the characters than the mysteries" to cover up the fact they had no idea how to resolve most of the mysteries.

I loved this show, but cant remember how they tied everything up in the last few episodes. Prob gonna have to rewatch a couple. Hopefully it will hold up without having to rewatch the whole first season

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
I remember being hyped for this but now I don’t even remember the plot of season 1. Seems kinda stupid to wait this long.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I really liked it and I think it's worth watching. I was afraid they had jumped the shark with the end of Season 2 but they actually pulled off a compelling ending.
As mentioned above I think it's well rounded, it feels like the creators actually had the entire plot in mind from the beginning (or at least the general outline) so you get proper closure and answers to all the major mysteries.
It's sadly refreshing in the mystery box genre to get a show with an actual compelling ending and not the usual vague and open ended finale where nothing gets explained and the creators try to pretend that "It was always more about the characters than the mysteries" to cover up the fact they had no idea how to resolve most of the mysteries.
Yeah, even the DARK creators couldn't pull off that stunt again.

And it isn't even that hard. Just think forward a few plot beats, then run each of those beats BACKWARDS a few steps. Does it make sense that the bad guy left a key to his hostage in his childhood home mailbox so a detective he doesn't even know is gonna take the case can then be baited with it as a condition for releasing said bad guy (who hasn't been caught yet) in the event his other 5 equally improbable escape plans didn't pan out?

Using a genre setting to hook thirsty viewers into a maudlin "this show is writers therapy" character driven mess is sooooo tiresome these days. It's gotten to the point where I just pass up genre stuff automatically because I've been burned so, so, so many times.

Please, writers of the future. No flashbacks. Have a plot. Tell us the plot. Have characters be simple enough we can understand them in 2-3 lines of dialogue. Have the character INTERACTIONS, in the course of solving said plot, be the vehicle for story, not just a 3 minute "remember these zombie crows eating their way across Kansas!?!" hook at the endo fo each episode.

No lies detected. They screwed the pooch on that one.

I fear Captain America 4 is gonna feel like that compared to winter soldier.

I have hope for Captain America 4 but we shall see

Unless it's DeafTourette DeafTourette

He likes everything 👀

To get onto topic

How many seasons do you see this show lasting? My guess is 2 to 4 Seasons. I just don't seem the plot lasting past a second season

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I have hope for Captain America 4 but we shall see

Unless it's DeafTourette DeafTourette

He likes everything 👀

To get onto topic

How many seasons do you see this show lasting? My guess is 2 to 4 Seasons. I just don't seem the plot lasting past a second season
I think the original concept is good for maybe 1 more season, a season where each episode moves every character forward (a rare thing these days). Who or what is the company, what exactly are they doing down there, how do all these people shuffle in and out each day in the same town and not piece it together?

But I feel like the temptation to dwell on what type of mental damage you need to even consider such an operation will prove too irresistable to the writers and we will just get more and more navel gazing 'character'. Plus the religious overtones, always a whipped puppy in hollywood, will send us into various "cults are bad...mnnnnkay?" nazel gazing diatribes.

I want Mark, or whatever is name was, to develop a concrete goal, have a plan, articulated to the viewer, that is rational and consistent with waht we know of Severance so far, and then watch how he reacts and ADAPTS based on how things play out. Less about moping around for his wife and more about GETTING HER BACK. No more shadowy figures leading him along through little notes and whatnot. Have this guy take initiative, use his noggin, and GET SHIT DONE!

I realize Severence is likely to never be that kind of show, but damned if I don't want a hero again.

I think the original concept is good for maybe 1 more season, a season where each episode moves every character forward (a rare thing these days). Who or what is the company, what exactly are they doing down there, how do all these people shuffle in and out each day in the same town and not piece it together?

But I feel like the temptation to dwell on what type of mental damage you need to even consider such an operation will prove too irresistable to the writers and we will just get more and more navel gazing 'character'. Plus the religious overtones, always a whipped puppy in hollywood, will send us into various "cults are bad...mnnnnkay?" nazel gazing diatribes.

I want Mark, or whatever is name was, to develop a concrete goal, have a plan, articulated to the viewer, that is rational and consistent with waht we know of Severance so far, and then watch how he reacts and ADAPTS based on how things play out. Less about moping around for his wife and more about GETTING HER BACK. No more shadowy figures leading him along through little notes and whatnot. Have this guy take initiative, use his noggin, and GET SHIT DONE!

I realize Severence is likely to never be that kind of show, but damned if I don't want a hero again.

I just hope it's only two seasons and done

More than two seasons would be overkill for me

Dark was able to tell it's full story in three seasons and was great. But that's also because it was fully plotted. I hope Severance is the same way

The religious overtones don't bother me either

Last edited:

Dacvak

I’d be pretty satisfied with only two seasons. This is the type of show where the more of the mystery they unravel, the higher the risk of it being lame. Kind of like Westworld.

I’m guessing it’ll be three seasons, but I’d be satisfied with two.

Top Bottom