• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Severed (PS Vita/PSN) |OT| Swiping your way to victory limb by limb

Finished the game and really enjoyed it. I felt like towards the end of the game, I was playing a puzzle game. Some of the battles really force you to think about who you are going to attack and who you are just going to delay from attacking you. The final battle was rather challenging but I feel like they did a good job of showing you what you had to do through the battle. I don't know if I will go back and try to get all the trophies or not. It would be rather time consuming traversing through all the dungeons to find the secrets so I might just pass on that.

If you want the "real ending" you need the mementos. ;)

The second boss is an annoying little shit, spams like twenty attacks at the last phase of his fight. Edit: Nvm I thought I had to charge parry his attacks he's easy.

Shifty1897

I played it for about 30 minutes last night and another 30 minutes during lunch. I like it, but I'm panicking because I usually only sever at most half of the enemies' limbs, and I don't really see a way to respawn them to grind. If I don't get better at severing, am I going to be at a major disadvantage later on?

I played it for about 30 minutes last night and another 30 minutes during lunch. I like it, but I'm panicking because I usually only sever at most half of the enemies' limbs, and I don't really see a way to respawn them to grind. If I don't get better at severing, am I going to be at a major disadvantage later on?

You need practice.

If you're looking for a fully upgraded skillset however, you'll have to wait 'til just before the last boss if your practice doesn't pay off
(there's an infinite fight machine in the basement of the house that becomes available to you).

Explore and find gibs to make other parts with and upgrade your sever time.

W1SSY

Anyone know what to do in the Memento place in The Citadel? It is just a bunch of white hallways and rooms.

Anyone know what to do in the Memento place in The Citadel? It is just a bunch of white hallways and rooms.

Hint:
There's a way to move the door that you see on the long wall of the white hallway. If you can move that door to the correct position, you might find something special...

W1SSY

Hint:
There's a way to move the door that you see on the long wall of the white hallway. If you can move that door to the correct position, you might find something special...

Thanks for the hint. I tried using devour and blink on every wall previously but got it immediately after reading what you posted.

Alucrid

Banned
2nd boss question

what's the trick with the skull enemy? i know they buff so i'm trying to get rid of them first, but whenever i hit them when their mouths are open i'm just doing 4 damage per swipe.

SilentRob

Real question: How do you hold your VITA when playing this game? I'm constantly changing position when I go from exploring (standard hold, left hand at analogue stick, right hand at face buttons) to fighting (hold the weight of the Vita with my left hand by moving it to the middle, swiping with the index finger of the right hand). That's not very comfortable though and my hand has started to hurt a little after about an hour of playtime. I have quite small hands so that probably has something to do with it...

2nd boss question

what's the trick with the skull enemy? i know they buff so i'm trying to get rid of them first, but whenever i hit them when their mouths are open i'm just doing 4 damage per swipe.

I hit him every once in a while to keep his attack from going off, unless the boss is siphoning him. It's better to focus on the other enemies first. Swipe as fast and as long as possible horizontally and they die pretty quick. Sounds like you may need to upgrade weapon damage or you're just hitting with short swipes.

Real question: How do you hold your VITA when playing this game? I'm constantly changing position when I go from exploring (standard hold, left hand at analogue stick, right hand at face buttons) to fighting (hold the weight of the Vita with my left hand by moving it to the middle, swiping with the index finger of the right hand). That's not very comfortable though and my hand has started to hurt a little after about an hour of playtime. I have quite small hands so that probably has something to do with it...

I've been holding the system with my left hand, two fingers on the back, one on the top and bottom and I use the d-pad with my thumb. Right hand is all for them swipes. I have bigger hands though so it may not work out for you.

maouvin

Ok, I just got the ability to walk on clouds. How do I not fall during battles? Clicking on the icon doesn't seem to help.

Ok, I just got the ability to walk on clouds. How do I not fall during battles? Clicking on the icon doesn't seem to help.

Like falling through floors during between waves of enemies or? I don't think you can. Most of those seem intentional to make you work your way back up to where you were. Nvm misread, I didn't even know that was an ability.

maouvin

Kill the enemies quickly.

As in killing them will refill it, or that I need to end the battle before it empties?
Because dealing with two of those flying things that separate together with a fungus thing is proving hopeless since they have windows to be attacked.

As in killing them will refill it, or that I need to end the battle before it empties?
Because dealing with two of those flying things that separate together with a fungus thing is proving hopeless since they have windows to be attacked.

The timer only runs while in an actual battle, you need to take them out before it hits 0 and then it resets - when you hit the next set of enemies further ahead it'll start over again.

maouvin

The timer only runs while in an actual battle, you need to take them out before it hits 0 and then it resets - when you hit the next set of enemies further ahead it'll start over again.

Ok, did it. Needed to
steal a atk up buff
to down them quickly enough. Cheers! :)

(Spoiled an ability you unlock later just because).

Alucrid

Banned
I hit him every once in a while to keep his attack from going off, unless the boss is siphoning him. It's better to focus on the other enemies first. Swipe as fast and as long as possible horizontally and they die pretty quick. Sounds like you may need to upgrade weapon damage or you're just hitting with short swipes.

I've been holding the system with my left hand, two fingers on the back, one on the top and bottom and I use the d-pad with my thumb. Right hand is all for them swipes. I have bigger hands though so it may not work out for you.

thanks. disrupting him more helped and it looks like i just wasn't making my swipes long enough to be considered long slashes

Z3M0G

Im about 2 hours in and im convinced that this is possibly the best Vita game I ever played... and will be my GOTY.

Alucrid

Banned
okay, end game question now

the memento rooms, do i have to beat the dragon before something happens in them or am i missing something?

okay, end game question now

the memento rooms, do i have to beat the dragon before something happens in them or am i missing something?

They each have a method of making the memento appear.

Further hints;
go around, try going the other way.

I'm having a lot of headache over a secret in L2 of the first domain of the crow castle. There's a blue door I have to open. My only guess is that the lever is somewhere far away.

Joni

I'm having a lot of headache over a secret in L2 of the first domain of the crow castle. There's a blue door I have to open. My only guess is that the level is somewhere far away.

Or hidden behind a bush at the top of the wall opposite of the trap door. That is, if it is the same one I was stuck on the longest.

I found this so annoying.

Or hidden behind a bush at the top of the wall opposite of the trap door. That is, if it is the same one I was stuck on the longest.

I found this so annoying.

Yep, that was it. Thanks. I'm surprised I never accidentally hit it when I was aimlessly swiping for minutes.

Crash331

I have 2 questions for anyone that's beat the game (spoilers, obv):

1. Is the citadel boss the end? I don't want to end the game and miss secrets/trophies.

2. How do you beat the enemy at the top of the mountain summit portal? He has like 4 buffs, one being magic resistance, and I can't do enough damage to heal him before he regens his health.

Number45

One other thing - any way to force a save or predict where you'll end up if you die? I notice it says that you'll lose all progress in the level when you try and quite... but what's a level? I died once and it set me back a few rooms/corridors but I didn't see an obvious reason as to why it put me there specifically.

Crash331

One other thing - any way to force a save or predict where you'll end up if you die? I notice it says that you'll lose all progress in the level when you try and quite... but what's a level? I died once and it set me back a few rooms/corridors but I didn't see an obvious reason as to why it put me there specifically.

It seems to save after most enemy encounters and in certain rooms. Look for the litle eye icon on the bottom right of the screen.

Number45

It seems to save after most enemy encounters and in certain rooms. Look for the litle eye icon on the bottom right of the screen.
OK, I thought that might be the case. Would be nice knowing where you'd end up though in case I need to quite the application for some reason.

Crash331

Sort of?

Before I explain how I won, I'd like to note I wasn't maxed out - so if you're maxed out and can't beat it then you need to work on how fast you are.

Take out the two non-ball holding enemies first. The guy who holds the ball will build up aggression for his attack, but as long as you keep poking at him with a few swipes every few moments (based on his yellow charge meter) he won't bother you. Just do not activate the two headed dog by taking his health down too far.

The two enemies you have besides him are unarmed with magic defense, so you can use steal buff on them. One has nothing, so blind him and shut his ass down fast. The other needs to be stolen from (I stole attack power) to up your skills, and then killed with blind (if it comes back) and swipes. You don't need to save mana as the last guy is going to be all skill and buffs.

When you get to the dog, you can't miss. swipe like a madman till he turns, then block EVERY single attack, making sure to use your arm power on his belly. If you miss a block, he regenerates enough to negate the last hit and at least the one before it - so you NEED to be quick and precise.

Swipe 'til he's dead, and rejoice.

Jesus Christ that's annoying, because you have to keep killing the other 2 enemies first if you fail.

Can I just steal attack up and kill the dog guy first and then go back to the eye guys?

Jesus Christ that's annoying, because you have to keep killing the other 2 enemies first if you fail.

Can I just steal attack up and kill the dog guy first and then go back to the eye guys?

You'll likely be dead before you get back to them as the dog requires all your attention and focus.

I have 2 questions for anyone that's beat the game (spoilers, obv):

1. Is the citadel boss the end? I don't want to end the game and miss secrets/trophies.

Yes, but you get a warning before you go to fight the last boss.

Pehesse

Just finished it, had to come and throw in some more love here in hopes to raise awareness about the game. Complete blind purchase, I almost didn't know about the game before it was out and only was reminded of it thanks to this thread (so... thanks!), and it turned out to be quite the experience. "Fever dream", indeed.

I almost hated having to turn off the game occasionally, actually, since the battles are so reliant on being in this highly specific groove that coming back after an extended break always led to my most difficult encounters. Thankfully, you become so overpowered by the end that even the end boss when fully upgraded is more about the symbol it represents than an actual challenge :-D

The boss that gave me the most trouble is probably the second one, because I didn't swipe fast enough to stop him from swallowing anyone. Had to fight him a couple of rounds with multiple buffs at the same time, but still made it through somehow...

Anyway, yeah, if you're a Vita owner unsure about this, this is the kind of game you're not likely to find anywhere else (unless they decide to port it to mobile or something, but even then, lacking buttons, it'd not be the same). Kinda wish we had more games that took full advantage of the console's ergonomics like this, but I'm glad the precious few we have are that good!

GJ Drinkbox, very much looking forward to what you come up with next!

Crash331

You'll likely be dead before you get back to them as the dog requires all your attention and focus.

I just can't beat this fight. It requires absolute perfection. If one button doesn't activate correctly or if I miss a charge shot on breaking the eye's barrier, the fight is lost. It's a ridiculous difficulty jump compared to what the rest of the game is. It's so infuriating it's bordering on souring the other 6 hours I've put in to the game.

WITHE1982

Just finished it, had to come and throw in some more love here in hopes to raise awareness about the game. Complete blind purchase, I almost didn't know about the game before it was out and only was reminded of it thanks to this thread (so... thanks!), and it turned out to be quite the experience. "Fever dream", indeed.

Anyway, yeah, if you're a Vita owner unsure about this, this is the kind of game you're not likely to find anywhere else (unless they decide to port it to mobile or something, but even then, lacking buttons, it'd not be the same). Kinda wish we had more games that took full advantage of the console's ergonomics like this, but I'm glad the precious few we have are that good!

Just bought it and gonna give it a good blast tonight. My Vita backlog is immense but I'll always make room for games with such unique style/gameplay.

I never played Guacamelee for more than an hour but I did appreciate Drinkbox's art direction, which was among the best I've seem on the Vita, so this is sure to impress.

Skikkiks

I just can't beat this fight. It requires absolute perfection. If one button doesn't activate correctly or if I miss a charge shot on breaking the eye's barrier, the fight is lost. It's a ridiculous difficulty jump compared to what the rest of the game is. It's so infuriating it's bordering on souring the other 6 hours I've put in to the game.

My advice is max out (especially the bite buffs), steal the attack buff,
get your arm
, and go nuts.

Also, you don't need a charge shot to break the big eye's barriers, just 2 quick swipes.

Platinum the game this morning, fucking great. Hope this gets an improved expansion with more content like Guacamelee.

Crash331

Got it and got the plat! Thanks guys!

That was an amazing game. I think I need to try Guacamelee now, I never eve paid attention to it before today.

Not that my opinion hold a ton of weight but this game is very slick and really need all the attention it can get. Tons of fun, great art style and sound. If you own a Vita you need to play it.

sense

bought this day 1 just to support the dev because i loved guac and especially mutant blob attack. will play it sometime in the summer when i travel. looks like this should be a good one as well

Is it the secret on L2?

Check the plant opposite the door.

Thanks for the help. I actually had already gotten that. It was one of the walls where you have to cast one of the abilities. I have no idea how I missed it what with the near constant surveying of the map.

This was probably my fastest platinum ever at 5:30. This is a great game that I hope gets a sequel just as much as Guacamelee.

Top Bottom